IGNORED

Raising Olives kids have whooping cough

tabitha2

Oh, that video! Poor things. And her Miscarriage was caused by a blood clotting disorder.

raisingolives.com/2014/02/when-rains-god-still-good/

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, no. I hope they'll be okay. That is serious business-- there was a local outbreak of whooping cough at some point in the last few years, and there were kids coughing so hard they broke ribs.

Thankfully not her kids, but she did have up someone else's video of a kid with whooping cough. How can anyone see that and not want to prevent their kids from ever suffering through it?

No, per the caption under the video - the child in the video is not hers.

This is not a video of our children, but this video shows what both Bella (3) and Valor (1) did about every hour, 24 hours a day for about 4-6 weeks.

I highly doubt that her children were vaxxed and all of them contracted whooping cough. The CDC publication indicates that the DTaP vax properly administered protects at least 7 out of 10 from whooping cough.

I've even heard of fundies who expose their kids to it on purpose,so they can become immune to it.I made sure mine had the vax.

I've even heard of fundies who expose their kids to it on purpose,so they can become immune to it.I made sure mine had the vax.

Sadly, there is no long term natural immunity to whooping cough. And to me, deliberately exposing a child to a disease like whooping cough borders on abuse.

The vaccine gives you 5-7 years immunity. My nieces and nephews all had it a couple of years ago despite being immunised as children.

Two of my three vaccinated children had moderate cases of whooping cough a few years ago. My dr said that their peer group is losing group immunity because of parents choosing not to vaccinate, and in those circumstances it wasn't uncommon for vaccinated kids to get a less severe dose.

Whooping cough terrifies the hell out of me and I was so relieved when my daughter had her final shots for it. I'm pregnant again and will have a shot later on in my pregnancy.

Well that explains it. A few months ago two of the classmates of my child still in high school developed whooping cough, and both of them had had their vaccines. We were told that the afflicted kids probably had gotten a 'bad batch', but that didn't make sense. Now I need to know if we should all get another series of vaccines, or what?

no, she doesn't vaccinate at all.. I also don't think she does well baby/child checkups.

.I know many of you like her but I don't. she is no better than any other family we snark despite allowing the girls to do sports, etc. Her girls also aren't allowed to go to college even if they receive aid. They don't believe in taking any form of aid for education, even a grant.

Awwww poor kids, why put them through all that when it could have been stopped by a little shot :( Its cruel :(

She doesn't believe in educational aid, but does believe in endangering the public health by not vaccinating.

DPT vax is something you do have to have re-done. They gave them out for free in my hometown last July after the majority of the town (and county) flooded because of the debris floating around. My mother was extra glad she got it when she had surgery 6 months later and someone on her floor came in with diphtheria and made the nurses panic.

It's terrifying how much more common these things are becoming.

I have a friend who does vaccinate, but before she could, two of her small children (too small to have bad all their shots yet) and her all 3 got sick. We were pretty worried for a while.

Well that explains it. A few months ago two of the classmates of my child still in high school developed whooping cough, and both of them had had their vaccines. We were told that the afflicted kids probably had gotten a 'bad batch', but that didn't make sense. Now I need to know if we should all get another series of vaccines, or what?

I got a whooping cough booster-- I don't want it, ever.

Yes, pertussis vaccine immunity wanes (as does natural immunity) over time. The recommendation from the CDC is that all adults receive at least one TdaP (adult DTaP) boost. It is especially recommended for pregnant women because the risk of dying from pertussis is highest in young infants (too young to get immunized themselves) and maternal antibody will protect them. The nasty old "whole killed" pertussis shot we received as kids (and which caused quite a lot of fevers and febrile seizures) has been replaced by acellular pertussis vaccine which is much, much better tolerated. So, even if you had a reaction to pertussis vaccine as a kid, it's fine to get it again as an adult.

Sadly, there is no long term natural immunity to whooping cough. And to me, deliberately exposing a child to a disease like whooping cough borders on abuse.

Besides being abusive that's also a really huge risk to take.

Those poor kids!

I didn't realize she didn't vax and my first thought was the one year old might have gotten it b/c the full vax schedule wasn't complete.

I don't get people. My kids are vaxed, I'm vaxed, and my husband is vaxed. It's our job as a community to do what we can to protect everyone. The irresponsible decision she made to not vax her kids could potentially kill an infant that they come into contact with in the community. When will people understand that the decision to not vax doesn't just effect you and your family, but everyone you come into contact with!

Wow. I'm 17 weeks pregnant and the resurgence of illnesses like this due to non-vaxers scares me. Refusing vaccines (without a legitimate medical reason) is something I just will never understand. I plan on giving our baby the full series, and my husband and I will be getting boosters during my 3rd trimester.

One of my cousins can't get certain vaccines due to severe allergies. It pisses me off to no end that these anti-vax parents are putting her at risk for no good reason.

no, she doesn't vaccinate at all.. I also don't think she does well baby/child checkups.

.I know many of you like her but I don't. she is no better than any other family we snark despite allowing the girls to do sports, etc. Her girls also aren't allowed to go to college even if they receive aid. They don't believe in taking any form of aid for education, even a grant.

I had heard all the idiotic conspiracy theories about vaccines but why is she against well baby checkups too? Is it also because pediatricians are in the pockets of big pharma? :roll:

I had heard all the idiotic conspiracy theories about vaccines but why is she against well baby checkups too? Is it also because pediatricians are in the pockets of big pharma? :roll:

Because the doctors would get on her for not vaccinating or refuse to have them as a patient.

Archived