IGNORED

Raising Olives kids have whooping cough

tabitha2

Ha, you beat me. My 11 yo son got HPV and meningitis today. He'd gotten his TdaP at his last visit. He did ask me about the HPV vaccine and I explained that he was getting it primarily to make sure that any future (way in the future!!) women he has sex with don't get cervical cancer from him. He thought that was a good reason.

My now-12 year old son developed a huge phobia around stinging insects and needles last year. He was okay at his 11 year checkup getting the TdaP booster and the 1st gardasil. Then when we went back for the 2nd Gardasil he freaked out. At one point the nurse was kind of talking down to him saying, "oh, you don't want to get sick, do you?" So after she left the room he said, "Mom- these vaccines don't work. I had those other shots and I still caught a cold." So I chuckled and said,"these don't prevent minor things like colds, these are for more serious diseases." So he asked, "well, what's this shot for?" So I told him: "it's so you don't get warts on your privates!" We both cracked up at that, and then I explained that it was a sexually transmitted disease that can also cause cancer and then he told me, "if I ever have kids, they'll be adopted!" Anyway, he did end up getting that 2nd shot, but I haven't taken him back for the third.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My now-12 year old son developed a huge phobia around stinging insects and needles last year. He was okay at his 11 year checkup getting the TdaP booster and the 1st gardasil. Then when we went back for the 2nd Gardasil he freaked out. At one point the nurse was kind of talking down to him saying, "oh, you don't want to get sick, do you?" So after she left the room he said, "Mom- these vaccines don't work. I had those other shots and I still caught a cold." So I chuckled and said,"these don't prevent minor things like colds, these are for more serious diseases." So he asked, "well, what's this shot for?" So I told him: "it's so you don't get warts on your privates!" We both cracked up at that, and then I explained that it was a sexually transmitted disease that can also cause cancer and then he told me, "if I ever have kids, they'll be adopted!" Anyway, he did end up getting that 2nd shot, but I haven't taken him back for the third.

I get a kick out of telling kids that Gardasil can help protect them from warts on their genitals. Most kids eye me warily when I start talking to their parents about that shot and then when I drop that little nugget on them, most of them giggle and agree that it sounds like a good idea to get it.

Have seen a few parents assert that whooping cough

can change kid's personality. ... I mean they see it as positive eg. Introvert to extrovert or vice versa. The scary thing is change may occur due to oxygen deprivation ie. like brain damage. Anyway it just seems to be a thing among certain groups who believe whooping cough is God's Will or some other type of mumbo jumbo.

I saw a bit of this discourse on soulemama, for anyone who knows her. Not her pronouncements but some of the commenters on her whooping cough post.

^^ sorry DGayle hope it's a mild case. We've known people affected and they've been OK in the end. Best of luck.

Since the topic is vaccinations, here's a link to a new article on CNN talking about the last known polio case in India:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/22/health/in ... ?hpt=hp_c2

The child didn't receive her vaccinations because she was a sickly baby, in and out of the hospital, and her parent thought her body couldn't take the vaccinations, even though they vaccinated their other kids. It was a mistaken belief since she was not immunocompromised, probably just suffering from multiple bouts of diarrhea common to poor third world children. She ended up getting polio and becoming partially paralyzed by it but is still able to walk after physical therapy. The article is pretty good, reminding us how horrible the disease is, and the polio scares of the 1950s in the US.

Good read for anyone interested in medical history.

Since the topic is vaccinations, here's a link to a new article on CNN talking about the last known polio case in India:

The child didn't receive her vaccinations because she was a sickly baby, in and out of the hospital, and her parent thought her body couldn't take the vaccinations, even though they vaccinated their other kids. It was a mistaken belief since she was not immunocompromised, probably just suffering from multiple bouts of diarrhea common to poor third world children. She ended up getting polio and becoming partially paralyzed by it but is still able to walk after physical therapy. The article is pretty good, reminding us how horrible the disease is, and the polio scares of the 1950s in the US.

That is horrifying. I'm glad the kid is at least going to live. Polio, from what I've read, can also return when a person is much Much older.

Pandemic waiting to happen. BTW has anyone had the meningitis vaccine?

Yes, I had it done in 2007 after a woman at my University died.

I also had the DTAP vaccine in 2011 after my sister had a baby at 28 weeks. We were allowed to visit but had to have proof of a recent DTAP shot, in order to do so. My husband and I both got the shot and then waited 3 weeks to finally meet my nephew. It paid off because a year later, same sister had twins at 31 weeks and we were already vaccinated and able to meet the kiddos.

That is horrifying. I'm glad the kid is at least going to live. Polio, from what I've read, can also return when a person is much Much older.

Post polio syndrome.

I've seen it in someone I love and it was pretty damn awful.

But the information on it is pretty limited.

Post polio syndrome.

I've seen it in someone I love and it was pretty damn awful.

But the information on it is pretty limited.

I'm hoping its limited because not a lot of people suffered from it.

I read about it in a fictional account of the disease, or at least, I think it was fiction? I wish I could remember he name of the book.

• 3 months later...

I'm hoping its limited because not a lot of people suffered from it.

I read about it in a fictional account of the disease, or at least, I think it was fiction? I wish I could remember he name of the book.

Was it "I Can Jump Puddles"?

O my,that is a shame.I recall the vaccine I got for it in the 70's,and it was the easiest one I've ever had done.just a pink sugar cube to eat and that was all.i don't recall a fever or anything.what a shame.

Archived