IGNORED

Raising Olives kids have whooping cough

tabitha2

I'm pretty sure tetanus can be a separate vax. I would ask your provider what they used and if you need the pertussis vax. They may very well have just given you the DTaP or TDaP, but they may not have.

There are two tetanus boosters available for adults in the US. Td is tetanus plus a low dose of diphtheria. TdaP is tetanus, low dose diphtheria and acellular pertussis. Right now it is only recommended to get TdaP once in adulthood, but that may change.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I teach biology discussion to non majors and last weeks topic was vaccines. I made them come to class with an essay prepared on whether they want to vaccinate their future children or not and why. 50% of my students decided that they did not want to vaccinate their children. More surprising to me was that 25% of my class was completely unvaccinated (I have 40 students). It seems like ever semester the number unvaccinated of students is increasing.

I teach biology discussion to non majors and last weeks topic was vaccines. I made them come to class with an essay prepared on whether they want to vaccinate their future children or not and why. 50% of my students decided that they did not want to vaccinate their children. More surprising to me was that 25% of my class was completely unvaccinated (I have 40 students). It seems like ever semester the number unvaccinated of students is increasing.

Pandemic waiting to happen. BTW has anyone had the meningitis vaccine?

I'm pretty sure tetanus can be a separate vax. I would ask your provider what they used and if you need the pertussis vax. They may very well have just given you the DTaP or TDaP, but they may not have.

Correct. If you were only told it was a tetanus booster, it was most likely not TdaP. Tetanus without pertussis boosters used to be the rule rather than the exception. But with the recent pertussis outbreaks, a lot of primary care docs are changing their usual routine and giving tetanus combined with pertussis. And the pediatricians are trying to get parents and grandparents vax-updated to reduce the frequency of infants contracting pertussis before they are vaccine-protected.

Yes, I have had it. Healthcare professional and all that.

I got that vaccine right before I left for my first year of college.

I am a nurse and I have had the menactra. My eldest and middle child have had it. The youngest is a little too young still but he will get it soon.

The vaccine gives you 5-7 years immunity. My nieces and nephews all had it a couple of years ago despite being immunised as children.

First of all, this is why herd immunity is important. Second, the prognosis is far better for a 7 year-old child than for a 1 year-old.

Yes, I have had it. Healthcare professional and all that.

I got it before I went to college. When I was a freshman in high school, a senior died of it and it really scared me.

I am a nurse and I have had the menactra. My eldest and middle child have had it. The youngest is a little too young still but he will get it soon.

The what?

Menactra is a brand name for one meningitis vaccine. I specified that one because there are others.

Oh. Silly me, I thought it was some kind of disease. Nevermind, carry one.

I had the meningitis vaccine but I'm not sure which one. I got it in middle school, I think because there was a case at my high school or another school that made parents want their kids to get it earlier (most people I know got it before they started college).

Correct. If you were only told it was a tetanus booster, it was most likely not TdaP. Tetanus without pertussis boosters used to be the rule rather than the exception. But with the recent pertussis outbreaks, a lot of primary care docs are changing their usual routine and giving tetanus combined with pertussis. And the pediatricians are trying to get parents and grandparents vax-updated to reduce the frequency of infants contracting pertussis before they are vaccine-protected.

Yeah, my last tetanus update was actually TDaP. I'm reasonably happy, I had a cough I could not shake for months a few years ago and I suspect that it was adult whooping cough. I also live in an area where Whooping Cough outbreaks have become the norm.

My last tetanus booster I asked for TDaP, but they only had TD. Now I have to wait five more years before I can get one.

Today, I got my 11 year old son vaccines for tetanus (I'm guessing whooping cough and diptheria were in there as well) and meningitis, as well as his first Gardasil shot. Do I win?

The doc brought up the two he needed and then said, "And this is the age we start to offer Gardasil-" and I cut him odd and said we'll take it. He was surprised I knew what it was and said parents tend to freak out when he explains it to him (of course, I live in a ridiculously evangelical area). I was like, nope, we want it. He'll get his other doses in July and September.

My niece got Gardisil at 13. As much as she is urged to wait until at least college before entering a physical relationship a and seems to be on board with that, her mother wanted her protected against any and all scenarios.

It has been a year and niece still is not interested in a relationship yet. So much for Gardisil making them promiscuous :roll:

I come from another point of view, and I have no clue whether it will be popular, but I stand by it. I was in my late teens when Gardasil first became available. I read the risks and the benefits and decided against the shots. To me, there were not enough strains covered, and with the shot being so new, I did not want to risk any potential side affects. I am of the opinion that first-generation gaming systems have glitches- so do vaccines and medications. That said, I did go on to be infected with HPV (I was successfully treated). I have absolutely no clue if the vaccine would have prevented me getting it, but I am still happy with my choice. I believe Gardasil is a choice, and when I have children, I will allow them to do the research and decide on their own if they want it (their bodies, their choice). However, all of the vaccines routinely given in childhood, they will get.

I was just turned to old when the Gardisil shot came out but i have done the hepatitis A & B vaccine round,

I come from another point of view, and I have no clue whether it will be popular, but I stand by it. I was in my late teens when Gardasil first became available. I read the risks and the benefits and decided against the shots. To me, there were not enough strains covered, and with the shot being so new, I did not want to risk any potential side affects. I am of the opinion that first-generation gaming systems have glitches- so do vaccines and medications. That said, I did go on to be infected with HPV (I was successfully treated). I have absolutely no clue if the vaccine would have prevented me getting it, but I am still happy with my choice. I believe Gardasil is a choice, and when I have children, I will allow them to do the research and decide on their own if they want it (their bodies, their choice). However, all of the vaccines routinely given in childhood, they will get.

I totally understand being wary of a new vaccine or medication and wanting to wait for more data to come out, and I considered the same factors... I ended up getting it (due to a higher risk of HPV complications, with my medical history) but I think my siblings waited a few years for more studies to be released. But just in case others are concerned about the number of covered, just wanted to point out that even though there aren't a lot covered, they are the strains that cause the majority of genital warts and cervical cancer cases. I think it's like 80% of genital warts cases and 90% of cancer cases.

Yup! Before my first year of boarding school at 15, two years after a nearly fatal outbreak there.

Today, I got my 11 year old son vaccines for tetanus (I'm guessing whooping cough and diptheria were in there as well) and meningitis, as well as his first Gardasil shot. Do I win?

The doc brought up the two he needed and then said, "And this is the age we start to offer Gardasil-" and I cut him odd and said we'll take it. He was surprised I knew what it was and said parents tend to freak out when he explains it to him (of course, I live in a ridiculously evangelical area). I was like, nope, we want it. He'll get his other doses in July and September.

Ha, you beat me. My 11 yo son got HPV and meningitis today. He'd gotten his TdaP at his last visit. He did ask me about the HPV vaccine and I explained that he was getting it primarily to make sure that any future (way in the future!!) women he has sex with don't get cervical cancer from him. He thought that was a good reason.

I completely agree with you that Gardasil is a choice. The vaccine came out when I was 18 and I decided that because I had no plans of being sexually active before I got married that I did not want anything to do with it. However, I continued to research to learn more about it. My general doc kept pushing for me to get it every year. I waited a full 5 years and a couple of relationships before I finally realized I could either protect myself or trust the words of the guy I wanted to marry. This scared me into researching even more and eventually getting it.

Archived