IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - general discussion Part 4

happy atheist

I think her hair is still embarrassing.

It is. But during the makeover episode I got the sense that dim bulb enjoys the crimped out look. Perhaps he thinks it complements his rock hard ken doll hair (not a compliment)

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a bit condescending to assume that Mary Duggar would rather be in a retirement home playing bingo and watching movies than where she is right now. Don't forget that she raised two kids and ran her own business, plus she's in real estate. She's not a helpless child, she's an adult woman, and a pretty savvy one at that. If you don't see much of her on the show beyond her doing laundry or watching the kids that's probably because it's not the Mary Duggar Show.

It appears Mary has been traveling with Amy a lot lately. Looks like she's having a good time and not doing laundry. It seems she does still just wear skirts even when away from the Duggar home.

It appears Mary has been traveling with Amy a lot lately. Looks like she's having a good time and not doing laundry. It seems she does still just wear skirts even when away from the Duggar home.

She could wear all-skirts for some other reason, though. Not to get TMI, but my childhood neighbour only wears skirts because she has haemorrhoids and the skirts are more comfortable for her down there.

I think it's a bit condescending to assume that Mary Duggar would rather be in a retirement home playing bingo and watching movies than where she is right now. Don't forget that she raised two kids and ran her own business, plus she's in real estate. She's not a helpless child, she's an adult woman, and a pretty savvy one at that. If you don't see much of her on the show beyond her doing laundry or watching the kids that's probably because it's not the Mary Duggar Show.

I agree. I think she stays for the sake of her Grandkids. She owns a home, she could move back when ever she wants. She's in her early 70's, not 90.

No one is being condescending except you. People are pointing out how moving into a retirement community or assisted living space can actually be very enjoyable as there are more social outlets. My mother recently sold her house and moved into a retirement village and is having a blast. She is in her mid-70's and has always been very active as well as very sharp mentally but the daily grind of keeping up a large garden and a large house got to be too much. Now she has more time to do the fun things on offer such as the community trips to museums, theater and sports events. Sometimes 70 year olds really enjoy hanging out with other 70 year olds because they have a lot in common. I can easily imagine that life in the big house might get too noisy or too chaotic for Mary and she might like having her own place where she can lock the doors and watch TV or eat whatever, whenever she wants.

I worry about the younger boys. I was diagnosed with sever ADHD as an adult. I was diagnosed as a kid too but my mom refused to medicate me. School was hard and I always have had trouble with impulsive behavior. ADHD will cause you to act immature and impulsive. Both make it hard to live in the regular world. Jim Bob and Michelle are doing their kids no favors by keeping them locked up from the rest of the world. People need social interaction. Its a great learning tool about what is and is not acceptable.

I worry about the younger boys. I was diagnosed with sever ADHD as an adult. I was diagnosed as a kid too but my mom refused to medicate me. School was hard and I always have had trouble with impulsive behavior. ADHD will cause you to act immature and impulsive. Both make it hard to live in the regular world. Jim Bob and Michelle are doing their kids no favors by keeping them locked up from the rest of the world. People need social interaction. Its a great learning tool about what is and is not acceptable.

I have a very similar story. I often think about how much more I may have achieved in school and college if I had been treated and received the proper resources.

I really hope all the Duggar children eventually find a way to thrive and live happily.

No one is being condescending except you. People are pointing out how moving into a retirement community or assisted living space can actually be very enjoyable as there are more social outlets. My mother recently sold her house and moved into a retirement village and is having a blast. She is in her mid-70's and has always been very active as well as very sharp mentally but the daily grind of keeping up a large garden and a large house got to be too much. Now she has more time to do the fun things on offer such as the community trips to museums, theater and sports events. Sometimes 70 year olds really enjoy hanging out with other 70 year olds because they have a lot in common. I can easily imagine that life in the big house might get too noisy or too chaotic for Mary and she might like having her own place where she can lock the doors and watch TV or eat whatever, whenever she wants.

That's wonderful for your mother, but can't you see that's not true for everyone? There are more social outlets for SOME people. SOME people will have a blast in a retirement home. Without actually being close to the person in question there's no way of knowing if that's true for them. I see so many people claiming that Mary is trapped and miserable. I think they forget that she wasn't raised by Jim Bob and Michelle. If she wanted to be in a retirement home, don't you think she could choose that for herself? And if that's what she wants, I hope she does.

...and she may be outside the Duggar house doing her own thing!!!

...and she may be outside the Duggar house doing her own thing!!!

I'm confused... are we discussing a retirement home or an over 55 retirement community?

I'm confused... are we discussing a retirement home or an over 55 retirement community?

We are speculating about one sentence summarizing an upcoming episode on the new season. For all anyone knows Mary Duggar visited the facility to watch her grandchildren 'entertain' the residents. Until it airs I doubt anyone really knows why she was there or if she is contemplating moving out of the TTH.

Oh and the facility where the Duggars filmed was described as neither a nursing home or a retirement community but as an assisted living facility which is in between those two as far as level of care goes. Although it's possible that the poster of the photo could have been wrong about that. From the picture it did look like as assisted living facility though.

Clear as mud? Where is the emoticon for the idle speculation bus? :auto-mysterymachine:

I guess that one will have to do.

Oh and the facility where the Duggars filmed was described as neither a nursing home or a retirement community but as an assisted living facility which is in between those two as far as level of care goes. Although it's possible that the poster of the photo could have been wrong about that. From the picture it did look like as assisted living facility though.

Clear as mud? Where is the emoticon for the idle speculation bus? :auto-mysterymachine:

I guess that one will have to do.

I think it can get confusing because, at least where I live, " assisted living facility" is used as the term for both conventional nursing homes and the more semi-independent apartment complexes that provide various levels of care from just activities and help with housework up to complete nursing care. I know a couple in their 90s who went through three different levels - they had an independent 2 bedroom cottage on the grounds with just a little help with heavy work and access to activities and meals, then moved into an apartment in the main building where they got all their meals and housekeeping and now are on the floor where people get checked on by nurses, get physical care when needed etc, but still have their privacy in a small apartment. That kind of place is expensive though.

I think it really depends on the person what is best. If I was Mary Duggar I would definitely want to live in the noisy house with my family, especially since she has her own room and bath fairly separate from the rest of the house.

I agree. I think she stays for the sake of her Grandkids. She owns a home, she could move back when ever she wants. She's in her early 70's, not 90.

I certainly wasn't being condescending, merely pointing out the positives of good, independent senior living communities. Now I remember why I have you on my ignore list.

I certainly wasn't being condescending, merely pointing out the positives of good, independent senior living communities. Now I remember why I have you on my ignore list.

So go ahead and keep ignoring me...? ;)

If the older girls are all going on a book tour who's going to do all the cooking and childcare back at the house? Or is it a whole family book tour, even though it's "supposed" to just be the girls book

Based on the pics of the nursing home visit, I don't think Mary is a resident. But its only jimbob Michelle and Mary pictured. I can only imagine how they are going to justify this trip. Ministering to the old? Mary duggar considers a new home? Or how lucky is Mary duggar to live with 18 grandkids and to be around children instead of being at the nursing home.

today.com/moms/19-reasons-michelle-duggar-loves-her-body-even-after-19-2D12169186

A lot of boring. Some highlights:

Michelle is often the butt of jokes. Strangers speculate on the condition of her body. Does she care? Nope. See No. 1. "I don't want to reject my critics, there could be some truth" in criticism, she says gently. "But at the same time I'm not going to let it dictate who I am

18. She's open to having more children. Michelle's last pregnancy ended in a miscarriage in 2011, but she and Jim Bob say more children are always possible. After being pregnant or nursing a baby almost constantly for the past 26 years, Michelle says it's a little odd NOT to be sharing her body with a baby. "Every month, I think, 'Well Lord, are you going to give us another baby?'" she says.

Based on the pics of the nursing home visit, I don't think Mary is a resident. But its only jimbob Michelle and Mary pictured. I can only imagine how they are going to justify this trip. Ministering to the old? Mary duggar considers a new home? Or how lucky is Mary duggar to live with 18 grandkids and to be around children instead of being at the nursing home.

Maybe grandma is courting and boob/Jchelle are chaperoning.

today.com/moms/19-reasons-michelle-duggar-loves-her-body-even-after-19-2D12169186

I read a blog written by a women who has 16 kids. She is religious, but not fundie (they wear pants, go to public schools, her oldest daughters live alone in a house they bought etc). She was last pregnant in 2011, at 46 years old, and that ended in a miscarriage. It is only in the past year or so that she's accepted that she won't be getting pregnant again.

Well, this is proof to me that the Lord is not answering her back. Because if he could and would, the answer would be something like "Jesus, lady, it's called menopause; look it up. And no I'm not giving you another baby. Get some therapy."

I did get a chuckle out of the mullet reference:

When she got her hair cut and straightened for a "makeover" on the show, she smiled politely... and then went back to doing her hair the way she's always done it, trends notwithstanding. And when she learned that her favorite style was something derisively called a "mullet"? She laughed.

Archived