IGNORED

Kelly-Nathan, Lawson & JD Dugger in Philippines.

Justme

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the young Duggar boys are mostly pretty cute, they just so far haven't grown up very well, mostly due to gaining weight and/or losing hair. I'm pretty sure there are tons of young girls who find Jeremiah and Jed hot now that they're a bit older, too, but I guess it remains to be seen if all of them go the Josh and JD route. Joseph seems pretty focused on keeping in shape for now, at least, and that will help. Comparing a picture of young Josh and young JD to the younger boys now, they do look pretty different, but who knows.

JD mostly just looks like he doesn't give a shit, which isn't doing him any favours. He could look decent enough if he shaved, did something with his hair and wore better clothes.

I already think he's cute *hides*

It's more his attitude that does it for me though, he has that "something." I don't know if it's self-confidence, calmness or charisma, but he has it.

In JD's defense, if I were on a mission trip in a typhoon ravaged area, I'd look like I "didn't give a shit" too

I mostly referred to in general (not specific to the Philippines-photos), like… looks/clothes-wise. He seems to mostly wear a t-shirt and jeans, and not the stylish kind, and seems perfectly fine with that, which I can't fault him for. I'm just saying that it doesn't look like it's something he cares about.

He obviously does give a shit about other things, considering the fact that he does/did the fire rescue thing and has a business, and things like the various trips abroad (even if they are for mission purposes).

Cool that some Duggars are now family friends of the Bates and go on trips together, Jim Bob would never initiate something this useful.

For once I'm going to defend the Duggars. They have gone on several mission trips. We have been shown a few sound bytes and nothing more of those trips. How many Americans actually DO get up and GO? I will totally give the Duggars a pass on THIS, if nothing else. We really don't have any idea the scope of what they actually did. And even the Gothard trips DO feed people and give them HOPE. I've lived in a 3rd world country and both are important.

Now back to snarking on the Duggars, Gothard, etc.

I am going to let the great website Cracked speak for me on this one.

Most unsolicited volunteers don't have any training, and while good intentions are nice, if you can't tell your ass from a screwdriver, you won't be building hospitals anytime soon.

Even if you somehow know what you're doing, chances are you probably won't speak the language or know the local customs. The first time you ask for directions to the bathroom, you might accidentally insult somebody's ancestors and start a blood feud. That's why even doctors are told not to head overseas except in strictly controlled conditions -- charity workers who are familiar with the area tend to get stuck babysitting them when they should be doing their jobs. If the guys with Ph.D.s are getting in the way, how much use do you think your art history degree will be?

The real culprit is our illusion of superiority. Be honest, now -- isn't it a little arrogant to assume that people in the developing world are so incompetent that you and your vague memories of high school shop class are going to make a difference in their lives?

If you volunteer overseas, you might help build a few houses, but you'll also be tearing through a lot of food and water. Food and water, you know, that could have gone to someone who doesn't have the option of staying home and chugging Mountain Dew.

So why not do just that and donate the price of those plane tickets to charity? Literally everyone wins.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19899_5- ... lping.html

Archived