IGNORED

Kelly-Nathan, Lawson & JD Dugger in Philippines.

Justme

I thought scc12 was intially trying(very poorly) to say that the Phillipines are Catholic so they don't need the Bates preaching at them. And when donating to a disaster you should be careful because there are scammers who will steal your money, so instead of doing what the Bates did it would be better to donate through a well regulated charity. But I can't think of any way the part about the women could have been meant as something not-racists. And then the follow up with "Fillipinos tend to lie" makes me think she really did mean it in that horrible racist way it sounded.

I really tried to read her posts this way, but it just wasn't working. :?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought he was already Constable. I could see Joseph taking over the towing while JD is away.

I think he was appointed to that, and is more of a part-time deputy constable. He's run twice for something (county commissioner type position), but lost. As far as I remember, he's never been elected for anything.

But, I can see JB pushing JD to run again. I'm sure JB isn't happy that the Bateses have a kid in government.

Though, I wonder why they didn't push Josh to run for anything. Seems odd, since he's always been the one that said he wanted to be a politician.

BTW, I was just checking out the official Duggar Family website, and it hasn't been updated since Mackynzie and Josie were babies. Michael and Marcus aren't even mentioned. Very odd.

Oh, and Josh's future plans are to go to law school. Like that's going to happen.

I really tried to read her posts this way, but it just wasn't working. :?

It only works on the very first part of her post, after that it becomes obviously racists.

I think men can tend to lie a lot as well,but that doesn't mean I'm predjudiced against them.I'm married to one.

I have a son named Phillip from the Phillipines, and he's the one who said, "Mom,they sure do lie a lot there!"

We spell it Phillip, not Fhillip. :) It just would seem rather ...non-indigenous if we didn't.

BTW,it's racist,not racists.No plural needed.

I think men can tend to lie a lot as well,but that doesn't mean I'm predjudiced against them.I'm married to one.

I have a son named Phillip from the Phillipines, and he's the one who said, "Mom,they sure do lie a lot there!"

We spell it Phillip, not Fhillip. :) It just would seem rather ...non-indigenous if we didn't.

Yeah, like I have an Indian friend who won't date girls with dark skin and says that other Indians who don't act western enough give him a bad reputation. He must be right because he's Indian.

You're right, though, a lot of Filipinos lie. Probably the same number as Americans, Chinese, Algerians, or Mexicans.

By the way, I've seen you criticize other people's grammar or spelling on more than one occasion, but I can't help noticing that the punctuation and spacing in your posts is always messed up. I'm not snarking because I'm sure there's a reason for it... but you also misspelled 'prejudiced' and 'Philippines.' Maybe you should proofread your own posts before ragging on others?

Oddly enough, the 'indigenous' people of the Philippines, and everyone else in the world as well, spell the name of their country with only one L. And they also refer to themselves in writing as Filipinos, NOT PHilipinos (or Phillipinos, as you spelled it in an earlier post). Are you suggesting they're all incorrect?

The fact you say you're married to a Filipino means you should know better than to make stupid blanket statements about Filipinos, and it might be a good idea to teach your son the same thing.

I'm still waiting to hear what being a Catholic nation has to do with anything. Are you saying, as FG suggested, that since they're already Catholic and therefore Christian they don't need anyone proselytizing to them? If so, I agree, as I'm a Catholic Christian myself. If not, if you meant something else, please tell us more. I, for one, am all agog.

Hmmm I read that last post by Scc12 as saying, "I also think men lie, I should know because I am married to a man, that doesn't make me prejudice against all men." I am not sure she was trying to say her husband was Filipino, just attempting to analogize to prove her point. Which didn't work btw...

It almost sounds like she is implying that her son was adopted from the Philippines, and they named him Phillip as a respectful homage to the indigenous people of the Philippines? I am so confused, but if that is the case I hope you are raising your kid to respect the culture he came from, and making gross generalizations about an entire group doesn't seem culturally sensitive. But then again I could be totally off on this interpretation just my :twocents-02cents:

Wouldn't scc's comments be more stereotypicating (my word) rather than being racist? (i.e. All fat people are lazy etc.) Anyhow, as a nurse I work w/lots of Filipinos and they so impress me w/their dedication to family and their children's education. And most of them make a mean lumpia!

Wouldn't scc's comments be more stereotypicating (my word) rather than being racist? (i.e. All fat people are lazy etc.) Anyhow, as a nurse I work w/lots of Filipinos and they so impress me w/their dedication to family and their children's education. And most of them make a mean lumpia!

OMG Lumpia!! Interesting that you are a nurse, my mom was a nurse and all of her coworkers were Filipino too. I also grew up in a predominately Filipino neighborhood, and let me tell ya, as a kid I spent many an hour stuffing and rolling lumpia wrappers. We now make them in batches of 100 and freeze any leftovers (rare) cause its so time consuming and also they go pretty fast = high demand!

Hmmm I read that last post by Scc12 as saying, "I also think men lie, I should know because I am married to a man, that doesn't make me prejudice against all men." I am not sure she was trying to say her husband was Filipino, just attempting to analogize to prove her point. Which didn't work btw...

It almost sounds like she is implying that her son was adopted from the Philippines, and they named him Phillip as a respectful homage to the indigenous people of the Philippines? I am so confused, but if that is the case I hope you are raising your kid to respect the culture he came from, and making gross generalizations about an entire group doesn't seem culturally sensitive. But then again I could be totally off on this interpretation just my :twocents-02cents:

I hope your interpretation is correct, but as you point out, her analogies didn't work. And if she adopted a son from the Philippines, she definitely needs to teach some respect for his culture. I hope I'm wrong, but from what she's said here, it doesn't seem as if she's doing that. I'd really like to hear more from her about all this.

It might be a stereotype, but I've never heard 'Filipinos lie a lot' before (and I live in an area where I would hear it, thanks to all the Filipinos in the Navy here), so is it really a stereotype in this case? And even if it is, it's incorrect and she needs to stop perpetrating it and make sure her son doesn't perpetrate it as well, in my opinion.

OMG Lumpia!! Interesting that you are a nurse, my mom was a nurse and all of her coworkers were Filipino too. I also grew up in a predominately Filipino neighborhood, and let me tell ya, as a kid I spent many an hour stuffing and rolling lumpia wrappers. We now make them in batches of 100 and freeze any leftovers (rare) cause its so time consuming and also they go pretty fast = high demand!

My mother in law was a nurse, too, as well as several other members of my husband's family of her generation. Her husband joined the US Navy as a steward (the only option open to Filipinos back then), and eventually brought his family to America. They're an interesting bunch--fiercely devoted to their culture yet even more fiercely American citizens. My father in law eventually retired from the Navy as a senior chief, leaving the stigma of Filipino-as-steward-only far behind him. He and my mother in law raised three sons and have helped enormously with the cost of each of their grandchildren's educations. We couldn't have gotten our two kids through college without their help (well, we could have, but they eased the burden tremendously).

And the lumpia. And pancit. And adobo, and siopao and everything else (except balut, I can't do balut!). But the lumpia is my favourite. I could eat a dozen of them, dipped in sweet and sour sauce, in one sitting. :lol:

Loveday,

What is the name of the Filipino stew of oxtails in a rich peanut butter sauce? I have not had it since college, when one of my room mates would make it when we pooled money for meat. Taste of heaven, it was.

Oh, and her only character flaw that I could discern was that she was too honest, as in "oh hi, Mr. AreteJoDad. Yes, we did just get up and it's 2 in the afternoon. AreteJo, your Dad is on the phone!" :lol:

Loveday,

What is the name of the Filipino stew of oxtails in a rich peanut butter sauce? I have not had it since college, when one of my room mates would make it when we pooled money for meat. Taste of heaven, it was.

I don't know, I don't think my MIL ever served anything at family get togethers that contained oxtails. :think: But I will try to find out for you. :)

Oh, and her only character flaw that I could discern was that she was too honest, as in "oh hi, Mr. AreteJoDad. Yes, we did just get up and it's 2 in the afternoon. AreteJo, your Dad is on the phone!" :lol:

:laughing-rolling:

The stereotypes of Filipinos are generally positive, if demeaning. Her comment was racism.

I think that what the Bates/Duggar kids did was wonderful!! & I agree w/ an above poster the Steve would NEVER allow his kids to do this!!

Wouldn't it have been more wonderful if they'd spent their airfares on supplies and hiring a local unskilled worker to hand them out?

Wouldn't it have been more wonderful if they'd spent their airfares on supplies and hiring a local unskilled worker to hand them out?

Well those unskilled workers might be Catholic or not religious at all. But you are right, if these two uneducated guys could have handed out medications then they could have found some local people to do it and the locals most likely could have benefited from the temporary jobs.

I think it's called Kare-Kare?

That's it. I called and asked my MIL, and she called it 'kare kare pata.' :)

That's it. I called and asked my MIL, and she called it 'kare kare pata.' :)

Oh my goodness, thank you Nomorearrows and Loveday!!! Yes, I just googled images of kare-kare and that is definitely the stew the roomie made. I can't wait to try a recipe. *rubs hands in glee* :dance:

Oh my goodness, thank you Nomorearrows and Loveday!!! Yes, I just googled images of kare-kare and that is definitely the stew the roomie made. I can't wait to try a recipe. *rubs hands in glee* :dance:

:cracking-up: Let us know how it turns out! :dance:

Well those unskilled workers might be Catholic or not religious at all. But you are right, if these two uneducated guys could have handed out medications then they could have found some local people to do it and the locals most likely could have benefited from the temporary jobs.

Lawson couldn't even hand out the meds. I think they essentially went to preach, though I give them credit for organizing and helping out over there. Still, how many more meds could they have provided if they had stayed home and used the cost of the airfare to help with the actual problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Talk of paternalism and great food aside. They're back new pics on the blog and whoo Nathan is growing on me a bit. I used to think he had a bit of an inbred look going but all of a sudden I fear being defrauded.

Poor John David. Jana definitely got all the looks from that pregnancy.

I just think that Dimbulb has taught the boys a tendency to stare with a slackjawed, gaping expression, and that combined with the bad fashion sense makes JD look hillbillyish.

If he was a little more animated and had learned how to dress for his body type, cut his hair to flatter his face, and choose colours that flattered his complexion, I think he'd be very cute.

Archived