IGNORED

Kelly-Nathan, Lawson & JD Dugger in Philippines.

Justme

I really don't have a problem with groups going over to help in areas or countries were help is needed and doing it in the name of their higher power, as long as it isn't forced on those getting help. It looks like to me that the boys are working during the day helping to hand out medicine etc., and that the church services are at a different time, and that is where they are telling the people about their God. Hopefully those that come back for the church service are doing so voluntarily.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's good that they're helping, since help is needed. The imposition of religion onto a desperate audience always irks me though.

They would never help if it only meant donating money for food and medicine to be distributed by organizations that know what they are doing. They are there to proselytize. Charity for them ALWAYS has strings attached.

They would never help if it only meant donating money for food and medicine to be distributed by organizations that know what they are doing. They are there to proselytize. Charity for them ALWAYS has strings attached.

Exactly. Does anyone really think they would have donated their time and money if they weren't also going to be able to tell people they are going to hell? The money for their plane trips and to house and feed them could have gone a long way in helping or housing and feeding trained professionals who are actually needed there.

I sent a message asking if they had read the Recovering Grace article that accuses Bill Gothard of molesting a underage teen and also covering up her being molested by her father. I didn't get a reply, which I was expecting for them to ignore it, but now no one can claim that Gil and Kelly don't know that they are supporting an accused molestor.

A colleague of mine is in the Phillipines right now with the Red Cross. She says the need is very great and prescription medications, especially for antibiotics, is very high. Medical missions often bring prescription drugs that are donated by companies. They are prescribed by a local doctor or whoever is there locally but they don't often have access to the meds. The dispensing the guys are doing is probably just handing out prepackaged and doses antibiotics prescribed by the local physician.

They don't appear to be there with American missionaries, but with a local native pastor who's son is in the states and friends with Nathan.

My cousin is very religious. He does a lot of humanitarian work in Africa. He doesn't go there specifically to evangelize, but when the Africans ask him why is he doing this, he tells them it's because Jesus has blessed him in his life and he wants to share that blessing with others.

That is shocking how different John looks - almost like a different person. I'm really glad he was able to go help and to have time away from his family.

...and, apparently, his towing business! Another male Duggar able to work when they feel like it!

I thought about the towing business also. Anyone in the area know if it's still in business since the car lot was sold? I'm simply glad when one of them has an escape from the compound and Jim Bob's evil eye.

Exactly. Does anyone really think they would have donated their time and money if they weren't also going to be able to tell people they are going to hell? The money for their plane trips and to house and feed them could have gone a long way in helping or housing and feeding trained professionals who are actually needed there.

I sent a message asking if they had read the Recovering Grace article that accuses Bill Gothard of molesting a underage teen and also covering up her being molested by her father. I didn't get a reply, which I was expecting for them to ignore it, but now no one can claim that Gil and Kelly don't know that they are supporting an accused molestor.

I bet steam shot out of Kelly's ears when she read your question!

So does that mean that JD don`t have any real job?Maybe that is the reason why he is not courting ?

That's a good point. Maybe JB is planning to make JD run for office again.

That's a good point. Maybe JB is planning to make JD run for office again.

I thought he was already Constable. I could see Joseph taking over the towing while JD is away.

I thought he was already Constable. I could see Joseph taking over the towing while JD is away.

The Duggars don't seem to be home much under any circumstances. If John David hadn't gone on this trip, he probably would have been at some petting zoo or political rally with the rest of the clan. At least this time, he's doing something useful and age-appropriate.

The Phillipines are primarily Catholic,but you have to be careful bc believe me,they lie a lot! There are a lot of scammers who like to prey on others,esp. via the net.A lot of the women pretend to be interested in Americans bc they think we all live like a bunch of wealthy Saudi's here.Of course most of us don't!

That said,I do feel for their situation right now,in general,it is bad and they need all the help they can get.Just make sure you donate only thru reputable charities.

Are you saying that Catholic Phillipinos tend to lie?

Yeah, I'm super not thrilled with the racist tones in that post scc12...

I think she is trying to say there are a lot of con artists/criminals to watch out for in developing countries such as the Philippines...

No,I'm saying that a lot of Phillipino's tend to lie.The country is primarily Catholic.No racist tone intended.

Really? 'A lot of Filipinos tend to lie' sounds pretty damned racist to me. I'm married to a Filipino, and he and his entire family are honest to a fault.

No,I'm saying that a lot of Phillipino's tend to lie.The country is primarily Catholic.No racist tone intended.

Oh, and what the hell does 'The country is primarily Catholic' have to do with anything? Are you also saying they lie because they're Catholics as well as Filipino? Or was that just a random fact you felt compelled to throw in there?

scc12, "A lot of Filipinos tend to lie" is every bit as racist as saying "A lot of Mexicans tend to lie" or "A lot of African-Americans tend to lie." Are you comfortable with those statements as well?

I sent a message asking if they had read the Recovering Grace article that accuses Bill Gothard of molesting a underage teen and also covering up her being molested by her father. I didn't get a reply, which I was expecting for them to ignore it, but now no one can claim that Gil and Kelly don't know that they are supporting an accused molester.

I'm sure that Kelly's pissed off by that! The cold hard facts tend to jar that unquestioning faith. :clap: Good for you FG!

That's a pretty awful implication there. Are you really that racist, or did you just vomit on the page without reviewing what you wrote?

I thought scc12 was intially trying(very poorly) to say that the Phillipines are Catholic so they don't need the Bates preaching at them. And when donating to a disaster you should be careful because there are scammers who will steal your money, so instead of doing what the Bates did it would be better to donate through a well regulated charity. But I can't think of any way the part about the women could have been meant as something not-racists. And then the follow up with "Fillipinos tend to lie" makes me think she really did mean it in that horrible racist way it sounded.

scc12, if you are going to say brainless racist things about 100 million people, at least learn how to spell "Filipino" correctly.

Archived