IGNORED

Happy 22nd Seth Arndt, Are birthdays really better each yr?

0 kids n not countin

But it is pretty disturbing how many of the fundie families (not just certain groups!) seem to be trying to cloister everyone.

Another case of parents who have no idea what that does to someone (as most never experienced it themselves, they're converts) liking something in theory and really kind of ruining a lot of their kids as a result. :/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dad was devout catholic before becoming evangelical. I think the mom, too. They met at a church thing.

Cathy comes from a large Catholic family who still runs some type of tool and die company. (at least one of her sisters has a prominent role within the company and another sister has her own chiropractic business.) Rick worked for his father-in-law when they were newly married.

They were married in the Roman Catholic Church and Luke writes in his diary that he and his older brothers attended Catholic school for a year when he was middle school age and his oldest brothers therefore in high school. I believe I read somewhere that Cathy's father paid the tuition.

So what caused the break from the Church? The anti-abortion stuff aside, Rick's brand of religion does not sound very Catholic. Why were the oldest sent to Catholic school? Did Cathy's father just want to give his daughter a break or did he not approve of the sort of indoctrination he saw going on?

Bottom line, it's not clear what inspired Rick's conversation to non-Catholic fundyism or how this conversation relates to the stay-at-home-sons situation he and Cathy have created. But the Arndts are recent converts to whatever their religion is (it seems to me like its the Church O'Rick) and the kids seem to have plenty of relatives (at least on their mother's side) who do not share their convictions. This simultaneously explains some things while creating even more questions.

Hmmm...I just had a funny thought. What if the Ardnt parents are the ones being held hostage, desperately wishing that some of these grown kids would get the hell out of their house. But the "boys" completely ignore their parents pleas and threats, happily playing with penguins and forcing mom and dad to take care of their every need. :lol:

Hmmm...I just had a funny thought. What if the Ardnt parents are the ones being held hostage, desperately wishing that some of these grown kids would get the hell out of their house. But the "boys" completely ignore their parents pleas and threats, happily playing with penguins and forcing mom and dad to take care of their every need. :lol:

Sort of like that Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mumy wishes adults he doesn't like "into the cornfield" where they are never heard from again.

There is a cornfield bordering the Arndt property.

Sort of like that Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mumy wishes adults he doesn't like "into the cornfield" where they are never heard from again.

There is a cornfield bordering the Arndt property.

:shock:

b5aW08ivHU

They might wish people into the duck pond now and then, too.

As someone who is agewise right in the middle of the Arndt boys, their situation seems terrible. But what about the parents?? Why in the name of God do they want them all there? I would be like "get the eff out, your parents have stuff to do."

Archived