IGNORED

Pope removes Cardinal Burke from Congregation for Bishops

FakePigtails

Are we ever going to find out what "shoe" is going to drop on him or whatever you meant? Are we ever going to find out what the "cost" of saying "be nicer to gay people" is?

Yes, I am still waiting. Re: the bolded, I asked that question. Though I would be curious to know about how being nicer to gay people costs someone.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. In the down and dirty side of social services it is often Catholic nuns and priests and lay people who are in the trenches. In my experience they are the ones who are most likely to be hauling groceries, setting up shelters, cooking soup, advocating for immigrants, helping people fill out paperwork for government programs, training marginalized people in how to advocate for themselves, caring for the sick, and basically doing full-time hands on social justice work. This isn't something new, its what the focus is for many of them.

I agree. It's not new. Works have always been an integral part of the Catholic faith. Yes, there have been unthinkable horrors within the Church because of bad priests and nuns, but there have also been many good people who we never heard or hear about. The tenet of good works was there even in the 1500's when Luther broke away from the Catholic church and went so far as to change Romans and add the word "alone" to his bible translation. It's also not the only verse he changed. This is what he said when he was called on it "You tell me what a great fuss the Papists are making because the word alone is not in the text of Paul…say right out to him: 'Dr. Martin Luther will have it so,'…I will have it so, and I order it to be so, and my will is reason enough. I know very well that the word 'alone' is not in the Latin or the Greek text." Pope Francis is being vocal about tenets that have always been there. He's not saying anything new. It's great that there is finally a Pope that is bringing these important principles back to the front burner, because that is where they belong.

I agree. It's not new. Works have always been an integral part of the Catholic faith. Yes, there have been unthinkable horrors within the Church because of bad priests and nuns, but there have also been many good people who we never heard or hear about. The tenet of good works was there even in the 1500's when Luther broke away from the Catholic church and went so far as to change Romans and add the word "alone" to his bible translation. It's also not the only verse he changed. This is what he said when he was called on it "You tell me what a great fuss the Papists are making because the word alone is not in the text of Paul…say right out to him: 'Dr. Martin Luther will have it so,'…I will have it so, and I order it to be so, and my will is reason enough. I know very well that the word 'alone' is not in the Latin or the Greek text." Pope Francis is being vocal about tenets that have always been there. He's not saying anything new. It's great that there is finally a Pope that is bringing these important principles back to the front burner, because that is where they belong.

Agree also. What Pope Francis is advocating is not new but I think he's reminding the Church and it's leadership of these tenets and not have them eclipsed by other issues such as gay rights and abortion.

I didn't mean to tire you out. He sounds shady to me but I guess time will show his agenda.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't make any sense. How is a Jesuit being shady for promoting social justice causes such as helping the poor? How is a Pope being shady for promoting what's in the Catechism (i.e. being kind and respectful to gays)

Casa Saint Martha is larger and more comfortable than the royal palace (I read it in a French newspaper normal -. Not a fundamentalist newspaper) I'm sorry, I can't find sources in English about it :/. I also saw the Holy Casa Marta when I was in the Vatican, and the rooms are huge and very comfortable.

He has two rooms in Casa Santa Marta instead of an entire apartment in the palace. He takes his meals with the other residents and workers instead of having a private chef and a separate dining room. He says mass in the common chapel instead of having a private chapel. The actual dimensions of the bedroom might be different, but neither bedroom is what I could call huge or particularly luxurious. If this is huge, I need to redefine terms of discussing housing. http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Compo ... log600.jpg

This is a typical Casa Santa Marta bedroom: http://www.nibiru-planetx.com/portal/wp ... marta1.jpg Adequate is what I'd call it.

The palace also has a very large library and other amenities not available in the guest house. In this instance, I don't see Francis taking a course contrary to his past history.

He has two rooms in Casa Santa Marta instead of an entire apartment in the palace. He takes his meals with the other residents and workers instead of having a private chef and a separate dining room. He says mass in the common chapel instead of having a private chapel. The actual dimensions of the bedroom might be different, but neither bedroom is what I could call huge or particularly luxurious. If this is huge, I need to redefine terms of discussing housing. http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Compo ... log600.jpg

This is a typical Casa Santa Marta bedroom: http://www.nibiru-planetx.com/portal/wp ... marta1.jpg Adequate is what I'd call it.

The palace also has a very large library and other amenities not available in the guest house. In this instance, I don't see Francis taking a course contrary to his past history.

You make me think twice, thank you. I would have found this article, but it is not on the Internet and I had throw the newspaper.

I agree Abigail. Also, here are some of his favorite foods. He even eats like a Jesuit. http://thecatholicbeat.sacredheartradio ... pe-francis

What did the other popes typically eat?

Do you think that people who made him the Pope expected him to be like this? It just seems like he is a huge change from the last guy. What does the Pope do when he retires?

Cardinal Bergoglio was nearly elected pope in the conclave of 2005, but he retired to Benoît XVI in the last lap (i hop "lap" is th english word for "tour" - i write this message without google translate and without dictionary, i'm sorry for the mistake.)

Now, Pope Benoît XVI lives in a monastery, retired and contemplative (he looks very tired and weakened in the last photos of him - he has heart problems. I've read in an internet website that he can have a cat in the monastery, because he loves cat). he had asked Pope Jean-Paul II for permission to go to a monastery in 2004, but Jean-Paul II refused, and then he died, etc ... Pope Benoît ate mostly Italian food, he has a salt-free diet for his health, and Pope Jeant-Paul II ate Polish food (which is so good, I love it! **).

(all this information comes from french newpapers "La croix")

What does the Pope do when he retires?

So few popes have retired that there isn't a good answer for this one. Benedict is in such poor health that he tends to stay within the monastery converted to his residence except for very slow strolls in the surrounding garden.

What did the other popes typically eat?

Do you think that people who made him the Pope expected him to be like this? It just seems like he is a huge change from the last guy. What does the Pope do when he retires?

They could have whatever they want. They have a cook like a President does.

To answer your second question...Yes, most definitely. Pope Francis is the first Jesuit to become Pope. It was a wise decision because the Vatican needed an overhaul and a positive image. Everyone loves a Jesuit. They are most like Jesus, and even non Christians who don't believe in Jesus, still love the message. What normal person doesn't believe in loving and helping each other? Extremist fundies discussed here are exempt. I don't even consider them Christians.

Popes are Popes until they die. A few have retired because of very ill health. The ones who retire are like anyone else in very ill health. They rest and take it easy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/0 ... 27408.html

Pope Francis, laying out his hopes Wednesday for the just-begun year, urged people to work for a world where everyone accepts each other's differences and where enemies recognize that they are brothers.

This brings a responsibility for each to work so that the world becomes a community of brothers who respect each other, accept each other in one's diversity, and takes care of one another,"

Wonder is Sunshine thinks this is sad too. :roll:

I hardly think there will be huge changes in the church, but hopefully this is a sign that things will slowly start to turn towards the better.

Archived