IGNORED

Erin Bates's Wedding - Part 2

happy atheist

Bologna topped with an olive sounds disgusting. Why not just serve Olive Loaf? It's pretty much the same thing and the olives are already in the meat. Just roll it up and fasten with a toothpick.

Because putting an olive on the toothpick makes it "fancy." :lol:

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why does this level of ass-kissery to a mortal man NOT fall under the lines of idolatry? Seriously, making a cake at YOUR wedding to honor someone else...

It looks like turkey to me.

I don't understand why they just didn't go to Costco and get sandwich, vegetable and other platters. It may cost a little more than what they had but it would look nicer.

It is nice that they had friends to help them roll turkey or bologna. It must have taken a lot of hands to feed that crowd.

I don't understand, and cannot get past, the grocery store "donating" the food. How did that happen?

Gil Bates and Jim Bob Duggar both run this type of con, and do it well. They get individuals and businesses to knock down prices or outright donate based on their large family size and their ability to project *family values*. "Look, we love children so much we practically run Third World orphanages, and won't it make you feel better to know you helped the children?!" They both have fined tuned their pitches to such a degree that it does not even occur to the marks they are fleecing that maybe these men should not have had more children than they could feed/educate/marry off without hitting others up for donations.

Interestingly, Chris Jeub is not nearly as successful at this game. The Jeub family may get clothing donations, but Chris doesn't seem to be able to extract bigger ticket items from individuals or businesses. He can't quite pull off "wholesome" like the other two can.

I don't understand - is this being done the day of the wedding? Seems like you could easily roll up whatever cold cut days before and then just put them a cooler.

I wish we could know the full menu! So far we just know there was chicken salad, pimiento cheese, and olive/cold cut things (GROSS). I would be ditching that wedding to go get a real meal somewhere.

I wonder if the whole congregation sang the fundie birthday song to Mr. Gothard.

What is the fundie birthday song? And what's wrong with the regular one?

Gil Bates and Jim Bob Duggar both run this type of con, and do it well. They get individuals and businesses to knock down prices or outright donate based on their large family size and their ability to project *family values*. "Look, we love children so much we practically run Third World orphanages, and won't it make you feel better to know you helped the children?!" They both have fined tuned their pitches to such a degree that it does not even occur to the marks they are fleecing that maybe these men should not have had more children than they could feed/educate/marry off without hitting others up for donations.

Interestingly, Chris Jeub is not nearly as successful at this game. The Jeub family may get clothing donations, but Chris doesn't seem to be able to extract bigger ticket items from individuals or businesses. He can't quite pull off "wholesome" like the other two can.

One thought on this: perhaps because both Gil and JB are in the Bible Belt that they can succeed so well? That the wholesome, Christian family schtick works better and also no one wants to be known as the bad guy who says "no" because of possible repercussions, so they do it anyway even if they think it's bs? I know the Jeubs are in Colorado Springs which is known to be conservative and home to FOTF, but for whatever reason, pulling this con just doesn't fly out there? Just a thought.

ETA: That's not to say the Gil and JB are skillful at doing this, I have no doubt they are.

Jer's gonna be a catch. How old is he?

I used to think that Jer was very goofy looking. But now that he's grown into his teeth, he is a handsome young man. He may be the best looking male Duggar.

I used to think that Jer was very goofy looking. But now that he's grown into his teeth, he is a handsome young man. He may be the best looking male Duggar.

I still think Josiah's the cutest Duggar, but what's with the Querry girl? The grin is kind of frightening.

What is the fundie birthday song? And what's wrong with the regular one?

I don't know the name of it but have heard it a few times, including on the Duggar's show (I think it was Jason's birthday at the roller rink). Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, something about every day of the year feeling Jesus near, etc.

One thought on this: perhaps because both Gil and JB are in the Bible Belt that they can succeed so well? That the wholesome, Christian family schtick works better and also no one wants to be known as the bad guy who says "no" because of possible repercussions, so they do it anyway even if they think it's bs? I know the Jeubs are in Colorado Springs which is known to be conservative and home to FOTF, but for whatever reason, pulling this con just doesn't fly out there? Just a thought.

ETA: That's not to say the Gil and JB are skillful at doing this, I have no doubt they are.

I'm slightly consoled by the fact that Jim bob once failed to blackmail a local business into giving him a huge discount on an AC unit. After they told him no, he threatened to badmouth the business and tell the members of his church to boycott.

And I also feel better that people were actually fed more than we all originally thought at the wedding - I was worried everyone was going to be expected to have only cake and punch after driving so many miles and flying in.

I don't know the name of it but have heard it a few times, including on the Duggar's show (I think it was Jason's birthday at the roller rink). Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, something about every day of the year feeling Jesus near, etc.

A happy birthday to you,

A Happy birthday to you.

Every day of the year

May you find Jesus near.

A happy birthday to you,

A happy birthday to you.

May it be the best one you've ever had.

( I think!)

Is there a baby underneath that blanket and thing that is on Michelle because that doesn't look safe at all? She isn't holding it half the time.

There's almost certainly a baby under that rag and propped up on the My Brest Friend. You are not supposed to use the MBF while standing up and walking -only while seated. Most IBCLCs have not recommended nursing pillows for a couple of years to singleton moms as they tend to cause more problems than they are supposed to solve. For one, the baby isn't positioned appropriately at the breast and moms end up with sore nipples. The thing that seems to work for most mothers is laid-back nursing or biological nurturing which uses the baby's neonatal reflexes to breastfeed. It's also a lot less tiring for the mother.

ETA: Nursing pillows still might be useful for multiples to help support the babies though. Twins and up were what the pillows were originally designed for.

You bring up a good point about the geographic differences. Maybe there is something about the deep-seated hospitality tradition in the South that makes people feel that can't/shouldn't say "No" even if someone else is taking advantage.

If I remember correctly, Gil is now showing other API sheeple how to grift for God. He apparently has some type of presentation on how to raise a large family without a 9 to 5 job. :roll: I wish I was making this up.

I don't know how to post pictures, but one of the owners of Vol Market has a handgun in a hip holster.

Must defend the chicken salad at all costs!

You bring up a good point about the geographic differences. Maybe there is something about the deep-seated hospitality tradition in the South that makes people feel that can't/shouldn't say "No" even if someone else is taking advantage.

There was a Freakonomics podcast where they talked about how suicide rates are higher in the West. They speculated that it is because of lingering ideas of "Old West" individualism, that people should help themselves, and not as many people seek out the help of social services. Maybe Chris is butting up against that.

You can watch the original Duggar version right here! http://youtu.be/hhzkCWQOtBk?t=5m30s

Isn't Happy Birthday to You copyrighted? That's why it can't be sung at restaurants, right? I'm wondering if this alternative Duggar version is their default, or just something that was made up for TV so they could sing some kind of happy birthday on camera without paying royalties.

Kelly posted in the comments that there were about 1000 people at the wedding. She said that C&E wanted to "honor Mr. Gothard" since they met through his "ministry". :doh:

Isn't Happy Birthday to You copyrighted? That's why it can't be sung at restaurants, right? I'm wondering if this alternative Duggar version is their default, or just something that was made up for TV so they could sing some kind of happy birthday on camera without paying royalties.

Yep. It's still under copyright in the US.

I don't think it's just a Duggar song. When I was trying to find it there were at least two other versions of the same thing on YouTube. Maybe it's a fundie thing?

Archived