IGNORED

Ding Dong, VF is Dead! And Doug Phillips is a Tool - Part 3

happy atheist

Someone please, please, please ask Voddie why Doug cheated on his wife since he has so many young daughters at home to give him plenty of attention.

Reference: "A lot of men are leaving their wives for younger women because they yearn for attention from younger women. And God gave them a daughter who can give them that. And instead, they go find a substitute daughter. You've seen it! We've all seen it! These OLD GUYS! Going and finding substitute daughters. "

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I really hope Beall does indeed frees herself and the kids from the patriarchy world, is it possible that the closing of the Twitter account is part of the tool's plan to live quietly, privately, repentantly, blah blah blah? I hope she is in fact reading the tool the riot act.

Someone please, please, please ask Voddie why Doug cheated on his wife since he has so many young daughters at home to give him plenty of attention.

Reference: "A lot of men are leaving their wives for younger women because they yearn for attention from younger women. And God gave them a daughter who can give them that. And instead, they go find a substitute daughter. You've seen it! We've all seen it! These OLD GUYS! Going and finding substitute daughters. "

Oh ewww! Just... Is it possible that.... that this is a misquote or some sort of malicious video editing? If not, has CPS been called?

Please folks, think for yourselves! You know need these patriarch preachers to tell you what to think and how to live! They can't manage their own lives in a sane manner. They all need to be exposed.

Substitute daughters?????????

If Doug was treating "Hero" like a substitute daughter, it wouldn't be sexual! If hes thinking that middle aged men who cheat on their wives with younger women are doing it because they want substitute daughters, he is both wrong and disgusting.

I hope Doug's daughters don't feel its their fault that all this happened.

The love between a parent and child is way different than the love between two adults in a romantic relationship. It is not a child's job to pay attention to their father so he isn't tempted to cheat on their mother. Its a father's job to pay attention to his children, with no strings attached because that's what parents do. A daughter shouldn't be a substitute wife, the relationship is totally different, sure, most little girls love their dads, but they shouldn't make this love into something perverted and incestuous.

Oh ewww! Just... Is it possible that.... that this is a misquote or some sort of malicious video editing? If not, has CPS been called?

Please folks, think for yourselves! You know need these patriarch preachers to tell you what to think and how to live! They can't manage their own lives in a sane manner. They all need to be exposed.

What that it were.

http://www.thatmom.com/2009/11/19/voddi ... ger-women/

Substitute daughters?????????

If Doug was treating "Hero" like a substitute daughter, it wouldn't be sexual! If hes thinking that middle aged men who cheat on their wives with younger women are doing it because they want substitute daughters, he is both wrong and disgusting.

I hope Doug's daughters don't feel its their fault that all this happened.

The love between a parent and child is way different than the love between two adults in a romantic relationship. It is not a child's job to pay attention to their father so he isn't tempted to cheat on their mother. Its a father's job to pay attention to his children, with no strings attached because that's what parents do. A daughter shouldn't be a substitute wife, the relationship is totally different, sure, most little girls love their dads, but they shouldn't make this love into something perverted and incestuous.

Exactly! Well said.

What the heck is wrong with these people? How incestuous can you get?! Ick, ick, ick. For being so focused on sexual purity these nuts sure have managed to sexualize each and every interaction with a woman, including their own daughters. These people are mentally ill and need help, not followers. Sick.

Beall has closed her twitter.

Found this on Google: Beall Phillips (DougswifeBeall) on Twitter

twitter.com/DougswifeBeall‎

The latest from Beall Phillips (@DougswifeBeall). Happy wife to Doug, happy mom to Joshua, Justice, Liberty, Jubilee, Faith, Honor, Providence, and Virginia.

Click on it the link and it's not there...anymore.

I think Beall may be done. Good for her. (I am not giving her a pass on any "mean girl" crap she may have pulled over the years.)

edited to break link

I suspect that now it's been a few weeks since Dougie's confession, maybe Beall has recovered enough from the initial shock to start deciding what she's going to do.

Whether she stays or goes is ultimately up to her but if she leaves, let's hope she gets some support both financially and emotionally for her sake and her kids.

Dougie, however, can go jump off the nearest cliff however.

Debrand, thanks for that run down -- I couldn't make myself listen to it.

So, don't make an idol of anyone -- unless you are a woman, in which case your idol is your husband, or a child, in which case your idol is your father. :roll:

The idea that an adoring daughter is somehow responsible for her father not straying is not limited to these patriarchal schmucks. It's not unheard-of even in popular culture. It's just archaic and obnoxious.

I like the movie The Philadelphia Story, but can never watch the scene in which the wandering father (who, at least in the film version, didn't actually sleep with Tina Mara, "the other woman") has this conversation with his grown daughter:

Mr. Lord: What most wives fail to realize is that their husband's philandering has nothing whatever to do with them.

Tracy: Oh? Then, what has it to do with?

Mr. Lord: A reluctance to grow old, I think. I suppose the best mainstay a man can have as he gets along in years is a daughter - the right kind of daughter.

Tracy: How sweet!

Mr. Lord: No, no. I'm talking seriously about something I've thought over thoroughly. I've had to. I think a devoted young girl gives a man the illusion that youth is still his.

Tracy: Very important, I suppose.

Mr. Lord: Oh, very, very. Because without her, he might be inclined to go out in search of his youth. And that's just as important to him as it is to any woman. But with a girl of his own full of warmth for him, full of foolish, unquestioning, uncritical affection -

Tracy: None of which I've got -

Mr. Lord: None. You have a good mind, a pretty face, a disciplined body that does what you tell it to. You have everything it takes to make a lovely woman except the one essential - an understanding heart. And without that, you might just as well be made of bronze.

Tracy (deeply hurt): That's an awful thing to say to anyone.

Mr. Lord: Yes, it is indeed.

Tracy: So, I'm to blame for Tina Mara, am I?

Mr. Lord: To a certain extent, I expect you are.

Tracy: You coward.

It's not necessarily sexual, but it's definitely all about that crap where some men need to be worshipped by all of the women and girls around them.

I can only imagine how put-off my father would have been if I had been an eyelash-batting, cooing worshipper.

I hope Beall kicked him out.

I don't know anything about Beall, but based on what I know about women married to these kinds of men, I wouldn't count on it. In relationships, I generally think water seeks its own level. Beall is either as sleazy as her husband, or she has been doing mental gymnastics to rationalize his behavior (and her decision to stay with him) for so long that she probably can't think straight. Doug didn't just wake up one morning and turn from a decent guy to a jerk; he has been a jerk all along. Beall married a jerk. She bore 8 children with a jerk. She supported the jerk's treatment of others in his cult. What does that tell us about Beall?

I don't know anything about Beall, but based on what I know about women married to these kinds of men, I wouldn't count on it. In relationships, I generally think water seeks its own level. Beall is either as sleazy as her husband, or she has been doing mental gymnastics to rationalize his behavior (and her decision to stay with him) for so long that she probably can't think straight. Doug didn't just wake up one morning and turn from a decent guy to a jerk; he has been a jerk all along. Beall married a jerk. She bore 8 children with a jerk. She supported the jerk's treatment of others in his cult. What does that tell us about Beall?

ITA. Beall went to college with her husband, was married to him after which he worked at HSLDF & then left there, reportedly taking the HSLDF mailing list with him. She was married to him when, apparently using HSLDF's data & someone else's money (James Leininger?), they set up VF Inc & VFM in 1998 (visionforumministries.org/home/about/about_the_president.aspx):

In the Fall of 1998, Doug and Beall founded The Vision Forum, Inc. in San Antonio, Texas, devoted to producing books and tapes to help build up Christian families. Later, they founded Vision Forum Ministries (non-profit 501[c]3), a ministry designed to communicate a vision for the restoration of the Christian family and the rebuilding of culture for the glory of God. Much of Doug’s time is spent teaching with the hope to spur on Christian manhood and sacrificial fatherhood, and to see dads turn their hearts to their wives and children.

Sorry, but in my book she does NOT get a pass on VFI's & VFM's ugly history although she isn't responsible for Doug Phillips Is A Tool's actual adultery.

[interesting - the above VFM link shows up in a Google search as a "404" but the page still comes up. That probably won't last long! Scrub, scrub, scrub, little interns!]

I came here to post pretty much the same thing, but you said most of it already. In the few videos of Beall I have seen, she seems like a complete doormat, or maybe she just doesn't have much of a personality. I am about 90 % sure she won't leave him.

"Doug attended law school for the purpose of developing skills that would help him defend home educators and Christian parents from State tyranny".

Yeah, right. I'm sure that's what he said as he was filling out his law school applications. "I think I'll go to law school so I can have skills to defend home educators and Christian parents from State tyranny".

Pretty sure that wasn't even on the horizon then. He just figured signing his name as "Doug Phillips, Esquire" looked pretty fancy and would make him a lot of money.

You're skating dangerously close to saying that women in abusive relationships are just as bad as their abusers and/or deserve it.

You're skating dangerously close to saying that women in abusive relationships are just as bad as their abusers and/or deserve it.

Are you suggesting that Beall is in an abusive relationship? Are you suggesting that Doug is abusive to HER? Because I have never seen anything written here to suggest that his mistreated her (except for the entire patriarchy load). I have seen plenty of suggestions that he was abusive to OTHER people and that Beall either sat by and watched or piled on.

As for your suggestion that I might think that women in abusive relationships "deserve it," of course not. Nobody deserves to be abused. Are women in abusive relationships just as bad as their abusers? Sometimes they are. I'll offer my own parents as an example. My extremely abusive father could never have gotten away with the things he did (to other people, not to my mother) without her to make excuses and cover for him. In my mind, she is just as bad as he is.

Either Doug and Beall did not have the patriarchal relationship they seemed to have, or Beall has actually been in an abusive relationship all these years. I can't see how all the 'submit, obey, don't speak, don't think, just dish out kids" thing could not destroy a woman's confidence in herself. And that is a form of abuse. I'm no expert but I believe one of the first steps to become an emotional/physical abuser is to brainwash your partner into thinking the abuse they are receiving is a sign of the fact they are loved and cared for. Abuse becomes normalised and, sadly, the abused stops seeing it as such. Even if Beall was not a doormat to begin with (and I doubt any human being is), years of emotional/intellectual beatings must have surely reduced her to a metaphorical pulp. Or that's what would have happened to me, at least.

In fundieland there isn't really much you can do if you believe your partner is cheating on you. All you are allowed to do is pray that he stops. You cant confront him or anything.

I suspect that the wifey-wife rules are different for fundie royalty like Beall. Women like her, and their husbands, may give a big outward show of Man as Leader, but live a life of implicit privilege (cf. the nannies and household help). A savvy enough woman, in that set, would know how to turn the power-behind-the-throne role to her advantage.

Of course, when the house of cards collapses and The Great Man falls, his wife must necessarily fall along with him.

I'm talking the Phyllis Schafly and Laura Woods types here--women raised with enough prestige and education, who also have the innate confidence to stand up for themselves--not the beaten-down Teri Maxwells of fundiedom.

I suspect that the wifey-wife rules are different for fundie royalty like Beall. Women like her, and their husbands, may give a big outward show of Man as Leader, but live a life of implicit privilege (cf. the nannies and household help). A savvy enough woman, in that set, would know how to turn the power-behind-the-throne role to her advantage.

Of course, when the house of cards collapses and The Great Man falls, his wife must necessarily fall along with him.

I'm talking the Phyllis Schafly and Laura Woods types here--women raised with enough prestige and education, who also have the innate confidence to stand up for themselves--not the beaten-down Teri Maxwells of fundiedom.

But that's the point: which category does Beall fall into? Was their model patriarchal family life just for show? Was/is it just staged to milk the sheeple or do you think Beall actually believes/d in the whole meek helpmeet-BS?

But that's the point: which category does Beall fall into? Was their model patriarchal family life just for show? Was/is it just staged to milk the sheeple or do you think Beall actually believes/d in the whole meek helpmeet-BS?

That's the hell of it--we'll probably never know.

Speaking of whom, Jennifer Phillips removed from her Facebook page the photo of her, her mom and two sisters, and Phyllis Schlafly at the Eagle Forum ceremony that honored Mrs. Phillips as "Mother of the Year." It was removed in just the past week or so, because I had just checked to see if it was still there.

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=35747554325&set=a.34919349325.41947.665669325&type=3&theater

ETA: A list of Eagle Forum's Mothers of the Year. Mostly the usual suspects, with a few surprises (figure skater Janet Lynn???)

eagleforum.org/projects/homemaker-awards.html

I wouldn't be surprised if Beall decides to show that she really isn't the submissive helpmeet she is portrayed to be just as Dougie showed he wasn't the virtuous, manly man that all should aspire to. The show is over for both of them.

It's Friday, isn't it time for another Doug Confession Trickle of Truth??

I for one am in need of further clarification on his resignation.

Speaking of whom, Jennifer Phillips removed from her Facebook page the photo of her, her mom and two sisters, and Phyllis Schlafly at the Eagle Forum ceremony that honored Mrs. Phillips as "Mother of the Year." It was removed in just the past week or so, because I had just checked to see if it was still there.

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=35747554325&set=a.34919349325.41947.665669325&type=3&theater

ETA: A list of Eagle Forum's Mothers of the Year. Mostly the usual suspects, with a few surprises (figure skater Janet Lynn???)

eagleforum.org/projects/homemaker-awards.html

Yes, Janet Lynn is a lifelong fundie Christian. She really did give up competitive figure skating to be a wife & mother although she later returned to figure skating as entertainment (e.g., Ice Capades).

Archived