IGNORED

Ding Dong, VF is Dead! And Doug Phillips is a Tool - Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Voddie either named his son "Judah Benjamin" in his endless quest to be the Christian Dominion movement's Official Black Friend Who Doesn't Think It's Racist, or despite being an extremely intelligent (though wrong about everything) and educated man who spent his entire adult life in former Confederate states, spaced out on the connection between the names "Judah Benjamin" and the #3 official of the Confederacy.

Neither reflects particularly well on him.

I've lived in Mississippi all my life and hadn't heard of Judah Benjamin until reading about it here *shrug*

What's with Joshua Titus' facial hair? Is there a good shot of the snidely whiplash look?

Speaking of facial hair, who is the defrauding guy in your profile pic, please?

Just to clarify, Baptists can be Calvinist. The takeover at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, by Al Mohler was a purging of anyone who did not have strict Calvinist beliefs. Roger Williams was also a Calvinist.

Gothard seems to stay out of the Calvin v. Arminius debate.

Just to clarify, Baptists can be Calvinist. The takeover at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, by Al Mohler was a purging of anyone who did not have strict Calvinist beliefs. Roger Williams was also a Calvinist.

Yes. It was a huge debate among the theology students at my Baptist college (2002-2006). There were actually some Calvinist Baptist churches around some students and professors attended.

Yep, Dougie's a Calvinist Baptist. He even believes in credo (not paedo) baptism and posted a pic of him baptizing Injustice in a creek or river or something a few years ago.

I almost named my son Judah Benjamin. I have two bachelor's degrees and graduate work, and I read widely. Granted none of those are in history, and I grew up in the northeast were the Confederacy isn't discussed much, but I had no idea the name had any racist/historical connections.

Yes, that too! What I should have said was that ATI used to influence people across a number of Reformed traditions, including Reformed Baptists and Presbyterians.

I almost named my son Judah Benjamin. I have two bachelor's degrees and graduate work, and I read widely. Granted none of those are in history, and I grew up in the northeast were the Confederacy isn't discussed much, but I had no idea the name had any racist/historical connections.

I also have two degrees but I am from the south (though I never heard the confederacy being discussed as much as other areas in the country seem to think it is - a few extremists get all the publicity), and I have never heard of this name nor its connotations. Maybe it's only common within a small subset of people.

I also have two degrees but I am from the south (though I never heard the confederacy being discussed as much as other areas in the country seem to think it is - a few extremists get all the publicity), and I have never heard of this name nor its connotations. Maybe it's only common within a small subset of people.

Exactly, and Voddie Baucham is part of this subset and was trying to impress the leaders of that subset when he named his child, because at the time that's who was buttering his bread. Now, just a few years later, he's become a big shot with his own ministry and doesn't have to give a crap what they think anymore (hence his shrug at Doug's resignation).

I don't think anyone here who is claiming that Voddie intentionally named his child after a Confederate is casting aspersions on anyone else who would use those names. For heaven's sake, they are Hebrew names that have been around for thousands of years and there's no reason not to use them.

Just wanted to thank the posters in this thread for the informative, and eye-opening, discussion on different schools of Christian thought. I'm getting quite the education!

Doug Phillips is still a tool, but now I know more about the depth and scope of his toolishness. Thanks, FJ!

LucySnowe - that is the lovely Aidan Turner, Irish actor and atheist. He was in Being Human UK, and The Hobbit as Kili aka the hot dwarf. I find looking at him while reading about all these assholes cleanses the palate, so to speak.

These unlucky accidents do happen, by the way: I myself have met a non-fundy Jeff Davis whose parents were entirely uninterested in the Confederacy and just choosing a name that happened to be trendy at the time.

Jeff Davis is the (gay) creator and showrunner of Teen Wolf, one of the most homoerotic dramas on TV. :D :D :D (It is also, not coincidentally, one of my top three favorite shows.)

Well, it appears the next thing in the VF Fire Sale is Roman swords, buy one get one free!!

I read that as "Discipline Your Boys" and that was just all kinds of wrong. *shudder*

LucySnowe - that is the lovely Aidan Turner, Irish actor and atheist. He was in Being Human UK, and The Hobbit as Kili aka the hot dwarf. I find looking at him while reading about all these assholes cleanses the palate, so to speak.

Oh yes, he did make a very cute Kili in the Hobbit though I totally crushed on Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. Both of them can show up at my doorstep anytime. :dance:

ETA: back to the the topic at hand re: Dougie the :music-tool: took cold shower, all good now.

Just wanted to thank the posters in this thread for the informative, and eye-opening, discussion on different schools of Christian thought. I'm getting quite the education!

Doug Phillips is still a tool, but now I know more about the depth and scope of his toolishness. Thanks, FJ!

I agree. I just now wandered over to google to read up on credo vs paedo, and started falling into the pit of Covenant Theology vs. Antinomism vs..........before I found a handhold and clambered back to the daylight. Dear god, why don't these people get a real life :angry-banghead:

I read that as "Discipline Your Boys" and that was just all kinds of wrong. *shudder*

You mean you don't like envisioning a nipple-pierced Doug wielding a bullwhip in assless leather chaps? (And yes, I know "assless chaps" is redundant, but I just like saying it.)

I agree. I just now wandered over to google to read up on credo vs paedo, and started falling into the pit of Covenant Theology vs. Antinomism vs..........before I found a handhold and clambered back to the daylight. Dear god, why don't these people get a real life :angry-banghead:

On the forum for Catholic Answers there were debates between Catholics and Calvinists that just ended up being a mudfest of bible verse slinging. It was very strange. Many of the respondents were intelligent but they were very passionate about defending tiny differences in their belief system.

Ah hells, since we are talking about Dougie and swords. A video, for old times sake

"How to Become a Valiant Swordsman" by Doug Phillips Esq.

oa6U3KWewoM

This video makes me happy. The drama is over the top and how can you not love the somewhat sexual overtones of the homophobic Doug Phillips when he says things like "His muscles must be hardened from practice." or "He must know his weapon and that weapon must be a worthy blade of strength and flexibility." or "Be a man get a sword."

I have to admit, I wonder what Joshua thinks about all this. Does it seem normal to him or is he self aware enough to realize that his father's love of pageantry and adulation is a odd? Of course, he apparently doesn't know that the name, J Tits Up is funny.

There is no reason for Doug to use a fake British accent for this commercial but it is funny that he does.

Ah hells, since we are talking about Dougie and swords. A video, for old times sake

"How to Become a Valiant Swordsman" by Doug Phillips Esq.

oa6U3KWewoM

See, I watch this and I just cannot believe DP was philandering with a woman! I just can't wrap my mind around it.

You mean you don't like envisioning a nipple-pierced Doug wielding a bullwhip in assless leather chaps? (And yes, I know "assless chaps" is redundant, but I just like saying it.)

*cries*

Archived