IGNORED

this woman makes me sick - Vicki Courtney

Joykins

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mind, it boggles.

As does mine. Seriously, what impact does it have if my child is still educated and classroom management is still happening?

Way less distracting than when other teachers/aides/staff/parents stop and chat in the room.

FTR, FB is blocked by my school district which is probably a good policy since it is a time sink pretty easily. But a teacher with a smart phone who checks notifications and likes/comments on a status or reads her emails a couple of times a day for less than 5 minutes? Seriously WTF should I care. You have yet to tell me.

And I am way more disturbed and incomfortable with teacher's who accept their student's friend requests on facebook.

This isn't a big deal, either, really. It's the only way some of my sister's kids communicate with her out of class, and the new regulation in her district that they unfriend their students is interfering with that.

This isn't a big deal, either, really. It's the only way some of my sister's kids communicate with her out of class, and the new regulation in her district that they unfriend their students is interfering with that.

Facebook is a social utility and it is my opinion that is is in general not a good idea.

If they have FB, they have email and so does the teacher. I suggest that. Even texts would be better. But not enough to be all aghast about it. Don't like it. This it is innappropriate but really, not affecting me or my kids education (because it is my rule that he doesn't friend teachers and he doesn't want to)

As does mine. Seriously, what impact does it have if my child is still educated and classroom management is still happening?

Way less distracting than when other teachers/aides/staff/parents stop and chat in the room.

FTR, FB is blocked by my school district which is probably a good policy since it is a time sink pretty easily. But a teacher with a smart phone who checks notifications and likes/comments on a status or reads her emails a couple of times a day for less than 5 minutes? Seriously WTF should I care. You have yet to tell me.

Yes, I have told you. A student shouldn't have to compete with Facebook or any other social networking fad for the attention of their teacher. When you plan group/individual activities, these are the MOST hands on lessons for the teacher. Just because the students are sitting quietly at their desks and the work gets completed on time, doesn't mean the classroom is properly managed. In fact, when students are completing group work these are some of the loudest classes, which is a good thing. However, you can't be sure, as a teacher, that your students are on task from your desk, with your attention focused on your computer. You need to be moving throughout the room, answering questions, monitoring work, redirecting off task behavior (which students are great at hiding if you're just observing from the front of the room), making sure everyone is engaged, and being a presence in your own classroom. You can't do that if you stay in the front of the room. Just sitting at your computer doesn't cut it. The practices of 25-30 years okay are no longer acceptable. They no longer work.

I think this is a generational thing. In the higher grades, especially, it's not particularly a big deal. Especially since FB allows for filtering.

I think this is a generational thing. In the higher grades, especially, it's not particularly a big deal. Especially since FB allows for filtering.

How so? I'm 29 and I've taught 6th-12th graders. I've never accepted students' friend requests and have been specifically directed by administration not to.

Kind of with jencendiary on this one. Your phone beeps, take a quick sec to look at the message, where's the harm? If you were obsessively checking all day instead of teaching, not good. A peek now and again though?

Friending either students or work colleagues though, nope. Fraught with danger, that one, unless you have the most innocuous FB in the world. I found that out. :(

Kind of with jencendiary on this one. Your phone beeps, take a quick sec to look at the message, where's the harm? If you were obsessively checking all day instead of teaching, not good. A peek now and again though?

Friending either students or work colleagues though, nope. Fraught with danger, that one, unless you have the most innocuous FB in the world. I found that out. :(

Keeping up with texts and facebook (her words, not mine) is not the same thing as taking a quick glance at your phone. That said, my phone is on silent when I'm teaching, because if there is an emergency, people know to call the office. The text or voicemail can wait until 2:35.

Gold star for you. All other educators suck. Is this what you're angling for?

Is that really all you can respond with? I already said that I'm certainly not Teacher of the Year, but we're talking about disciplinary offenses here. But whatever, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with other teachers like that, because in my district they'd be reprimanded and then fired if they didn't get the message the first time.

Hm. With the FB thing, definitely get you. I don't think that can ever be good to have anyone with the potential to harm you on it.

I found this out the hard way. Some work colleagues who I knew did not love me asked to friend me on FB. I thought wtf, but I only ever post random harmless crap so why not. Next day is a work day but I was on leave. I get an urgent call from my pal saying defriend those people right now! there is gossip buzzing everywhere about something you said on FB! I did and though they asked me again, nope. That could have been nasty and it could be far worse for teachers.

Having said that Jencendiary's example seems different. I'm not a teacher but I doubt her sis is fixated on the texts etc. Maybe some groups are working quietly, they are doing an exam, perhaps she had said to them put your heads down and get on with the question? I've seen teachers read books before in class, not a big difference?

Hm. With the FB thing, definitely get you. I don't think that can ever be good to have anyone with the potential to harm you on it.

I found this out the hard way. Some work colleagues who I knew did not love me asked to friend me on FB. I thought wtf, but I only ever post random harmless crap so why not. Next day is a work day but I was on leave. I get an urgent call from my pal saying defriend those people right now! there is gossip buzzing everywhere about something you said on FB! I did and though they asked me again, nope. That could have been nasty and it could be far worse for teachers.

Having said that Jencendiary's example seems different. I'm not a teacher but I doubt her sis is fixated on the texts etc. Maybe some groups are working quietly, they are doing an exam, perhaps she had said to them put your heads down and get on with the question?

Oh, I get what you're saying, but these still aren't good practices.

I've seen teachers read books before in class, not a big difference?

Nope, there is no difference. If you are reading books, checking texts, or updating your Facebook status while you should be teaching, you aren't doing your job.

ETA: I usually don't care if people agree with me or not, but I'm shocked that I'm the only one who sees it this way. :(

Sorry if this has already been done...I'm new and this blog post is a few months old.

vickicourtney.com/2011/04/a-godly-sorrow-and-a-celebration-of-new-life/

An engaged couple got pregnant.

That last statement is true...parenthood will cut into their couple time as newlyweds. But I am just sickened and disgusted that this is regarded as such a big sin (something I don't think is wrong at all, too) that the couple has to do the virtual walk of shame in front of all their family/friends/community...the pastor "extended grace" to still marry them??? WTF??? Seems like their real "sin" was getting pregnant, not having sex, in respect to the attitudes displayed.

So, she'll be throwing it in their faces and publicizing it for years as "ministry." Nice.

Uugh. Way to shame, woman. Way to shame. :( . For all her talk about the "natural consequences" of the couple's "sin," all of the consequences beyond the couple being thrust immediately into parenthood were socially imposed, and this woman seems none to hesitant to dole them out. If she truly believed in the whole natural consequences to sin thing, you'd think she could leave God/nature to deal with whatever consequences.

It's people like that that really bring to mind the whole "by the measure you judge, you shall be judged" verse. But I guess she can go ahead and pretend that she's sin free...

This will likely make those people leave the church. Something similar happened to my mom when she was a Catholic, and is largely the reason she is no longer Catholic. She got pregnant when she was 28 and had a stable job, but she was unmarried. Her mother died before my older brother was born. My mom went to confession before the funeral service and did whatever the priest told her she needed to do to be forgiven. So everything was reset in the eyes of God and the church. But the priest still refused to let her take communion at her own mother's funeral because "it wouldn't look right" for her to be pregnant with no wedding ring. Even though she had already confessed and been forgiven. Even though a man in a similar place would not be denied communion. Even though she had had premarital sex plenty of times before and was allowed to take communion.

This shaming didn't make her turn celibate. It made her leave the church. She is now a Methodist and pretty happy with her church. This shamed couple will hopefully do the same thing. I hope they realize that there are better people out there and I hope that they find a less judgmental church where they can thrive.

Ha. You know who else it "didn't look right" for? Mary. You know, that Mother of God one?

Glad your mother found a less judgmental place, and I hope this couple does as well..

Keeperrox, maybe it is just seeing things from different sides of the desk, as it were? I'm the same age you are, though we are not exactly aged I don't remember a teacher with a mobile phone in class. But loads of times saw them read books or newspapers in class. So I suppose thinking about that, sneaking a look at FB seems better. Quicker certainly.

As a member of the public angsting about public schools, I have to say a teacher checking their texts or email or something else that takes 15 seconds? Not a source of my angst. Really, I could not care less. While it might not be ideal I don't expect a teacher to be on their game for 8 straight hours with no breaks, and how they are overall matters a lot more than whether or not they're distracted for 15 seconds. Even in their classroom with their students. If they were focused on their phone, not their students -- especially as part of an overall pattern -- then I'd certainly agree teaching is not the right career field for them.

My husband, who teaches 5th grade, is impossible to reach during school hours. He doesn't even have a planning period or lunch period any more (he eats lunch standing on the playground while supervising his students during recess) and teaches from 8:00 -3:00 straight through. We could have a major family emergency and we would have to call the school office and have the secretary go get him b/c he won't even answer a *9-1-1* text. He just doesn't look at his phone all day.

And following FB or comments on a blog? Ha! lol

I keep my phone on, but ignore any calls that aren't from schools. I teach at several schools and when they don't know where I am, and need to let me know what is happening they usually e-mail and call my cell. (I can't always get to a computer to check my e-mails before leaving a school)

Nope, there is no difference. If you are reading books, checking texts, or updating your Facebook status while you should be teaching, you aren't doing your job.

ETA: I usually don't care if people agree with me or not, but I'm shocked that I'm the only one who sees it this way.

I don't disagree with you. I'm sure my husband would totally agree with you. Many would consider him "old school" but he also realizes he is on the taxpayer's dime and although some parents may not care about teachers on FB or whatever during class time, a lot would, and they would be perfectly within their rights to be concerned about that.

He does not accept friend requests from students and when he taught middle school, he would tell them this at the beginning of the year so that no one's feelings got hurt. He has lots of former students on his facebook, because he will accept them as friends once they graduate. Many of our sons' teachers have/had the same rule (no friending on FB until after graduation), and it's something that I, as a parent, have appreciated and respected. I think this protects both the teacher and the student.

I can see the other side of this and don't think anyone's a bad teacher if they do accept current students as friends. I would just encourage them to be very careful as some people would be amazed at the things that have gotten teachers in trouble (and fired).

During his lunch (back when he had one) or during his planning period (back when he had one), he might take care of a personal matter like making a dentist appointment or whatever, but when it comes to the classroom he teaches from bell to bell and feels like his students deserve no less.

I'm know he doesn't think he's the "best teacher in the world" and he is always working to improve. These are his sensibilities and he does not take the time or the effort to judge other teachers. It's all about the personal challenge to him. His feeling is that if it does not positively affect student achievement, it has no place within the four walls of his classroom.

I wouldn't friend any of my old teachers until after I'd left their classes. That way whatever they saw on my page wouldn't lead to them giving me weird looks in class.

If Casey was only checking the comments (or e-mail, remember, is it really that much out of the way for CFMIL to e-mail her the comments?) during downtime at school and a student walked in, the only thing she didwrong was look at something that would upset her enough to tear up.

But this is her birthday week... that's just fucked up that she's so upset. And being publicly humiliated.

Yes, I have told you. A student shouldn't have to compete with Facebook or any other social networking fad for the attention of their teacher. When you plan group/individual activities, these are the MOST hands on lessons for the teacher. Just because the students are sitting quietly at their desks and the work gets completed on time, doesn't mean the classroom is properly managed. In fact, when students are completing group work these are some of the loudest classes, which is a good thing. However, you can't be sure, as a teacher, that your students are on task from your desk, with your attention focused on your computer. You need to be moving throughout the room, answering questions, monitoring work, redirecting off task behavior (which students are great at hiding if you're just observing from the front of the room), making sure everyone is engaged, and being a presence in your own classroom. You can't do that if you stay in the front of the room. Just sitting at your computer doesn't cut it. The practices of 25-30 years okay are no longer acceptable. They no longer work.

No, still don't care. The job of a teacher is not to make life interesting for my child every hour of every day he is with them. It is to educate them and sometimes, just like the rest of us teachers are going to need a 5 minute Internet time suck or have a shitty day.

If my son is learning and is engaged and children aren't beating each other or bullying each other Wtf do I care?

Keeping up with texts and facebook (her words, not mine) is not the same thing as taking a quick glance at your phone. That said, my phone is on silent when I'm teaching, because if there is an emergency, people know to call the office. The text or voicemail can wait until 2:35.

You are apparently a slow reader then. I check my phone for email and fb statuses and it is less than 3 minutes when I do.

Oh, I get what you're saying, but these still aren't good practices.

ETA: I usually don't care if people agree with me or not, but I'm shocked that I'm the only one who sees it this way. :(

Do you think most people do only their jobs all day long? Because I get to pee and eat when I want and don't have to have a teacher watch my computer so I can have a meeting with someone. (I use computer because that is what I work with all day). So I think I can forgive several minutes a day when a tea her isn't completely focused on my special snowflake.

Austin,

I also understand that some teachers are on all day and are engaged. But I find people want so much more out of teachers than they give in their own life and job. I seriously feel like in many ways teaching is hard because of the schedule, etc and just getting time for dr appts, or to think.

Seriously if a teacher has 20 minutes a day where they suck, I can live with it.

Archived