IGNORED

Chad and Erin's engagement story, part deux, is up

missbrooklyn

Back when - Mr. apple asked, "What do you think about getting married?" (not the most romantic proposal ever...)

We have been married for 36 years.

OK I love all these engagement stories.. they are so fun to read :-)

My fiance proposed at the gardens we went to shortly after we started dating...he was so nervous he dropped the ring and everything :-)

Chad and Erin look like they are ready to go as far as sealing the deal haha...I feel like they lucked out in the fundie world as far as finding a mate..hopefully they will be truly happy and only have just 5-6 blessings :) I am hopeful! Could you imagine a dugger girl in Erins situation? I feel like it would be 100 times more awkward.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMG_5683.jpg

This photo is my favorite..she looks so in love.

I don't know how anyone can tell from a picture that someone is in love.

To me it just looks like more of the Michelle 'oh my husband is such a faboo headship'/adoring-dog-gaze.

How do we know she isn't thinking: "Finally I've found someone who will pay for all my salon appointments!"

Wow, a fortune teller! Do you have this week's lottery numbers? When will there be piece in the middle east?

Tell me more about the horrific child abuse that former fundie children practice. Until you see a shred of evidence of child abuse, will you kindly stop spitting hatred. I bet your own life must be really collected and together, so it's just your spare time that you spend hating other people and accusing them of things they haven't done yet. :nenner: :cray-cray:

*** ETA I messed up, my comment was directed at bananacat's predictions. Still, any predictions for the middle east crisis? Use your gift for more useful things. Hehehe...

You are carrying a whole bucket full of crazy, bless your heart. Fundies and Gothardites frequently advocate such practices as blanket training, plumbing line hitting, etc. and they frequently have more children than they can properly pay for and raise without turning their older children into unpaid slave labor.

This is a board for snarking on fundies, a group to which Erin, Chad, and all of their families belong. Quit clutching your pearls.

Edited because spellcheck auto corrected to say, "snacking" on fundies, which is a whole different thang.

You are carrying a whole bucket full of crazy, bless your heart. Fundies and Gothardites frequently advocate such practices as blanket training, plumbing line hitting, etc. and they frequently have more children than they can properly pay for and raise without turning their older children into unpaid slave labor.

This is a board for snarking on fundies, a group to which Erin, Chad, and all of their families belong. Quit clutching your pearls.

Edited because spellcheck auto corrected to say, "snacking" on fundies, which is a whole different thang.

What do you mean? I'm here specifically to snack on fundies, they're my favorite kind of snack!

And also to hear these predictions on getting a "piece" of the middle east

I don't know how anyone can tell from a picture that someone is in love.

To me it just looks like more of the Michelle 'oh my husband is such a faboo headship'/adoring-dog-gaze.

How do we know she isn't thinking: "Finally I've found someone who will pay for all my salon appointments!"

Notice how I said "looks" in love. No one knows what they are thinking or feeling, so you are welcome to speculate as much as I am. Carry on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"She had asked him to tell her the day so she could rearrange her schedule, but she had no idea what all that this special day would include!"

How does that conversation go? " I'm thinking of proposing to you on Friday. Does that work for you?" After dealing with that, I would want some fake romance, too.

Actually, that's pretty much how my parents got engaged. "Hey...I'm going to take you out for a special dinner on Friday night, you might get a ring out of it. Don't make plans."

36 years later, clearly something worked out well.

Wow, a fortune teller! Do you have this week's lottery numbers? When will there be piece in the middle east?

Tell me more about the horrific child abuse that former fundie children practice. Until you see a shred of evidence of child abuse, will you kindly stop spitting hatred. I bet your own life must be really collected and together, so it's just your spare time that you spend hating other people and accusing them of things they haven't done yet. :nenner: :cray-cray:

*** ETA I messed up, my comment was directed at bananacat's predictions. Still, any predictions for the middle east crisis? Use your gift for more useful things. Hehehe...

I'm going to agree with you on this. We have no evidence to show that Erin and Chad will be abusive to their children. They seen very happy and in love and good for them. Chad seems to adore Erin. I think just the fact that he's moving to Tennessee speaks volumes.

:dance: Not all ATI/ Gothard families abuse their children. Unfortunately some probably do, some might give their child occasional smack and some don't hit their kids at all. For instance I've never seen or heard any evidence to say josh and Anna are abusing their kids. Anna seems like a great mom and Anna's mother also seemed as though she was a good mom too. Ive also read some people blanket train their toddlers without hitting or smaking. I know this is a snark board but to say all children are abused is the same as saying all Catholics do this...or all Muslims do that.

It's kind of like saying that if you were abused as a child, you will definitely abuse your own kid. That isn't true, and it is insulting and damaging to the formerly-abused new parent.

I wonder who gave Chad his 'hide the hard on' lessons? He's workin' the hand hiding, especially in the blue jeans shots.

Maybe Dr. Paine adapted Jim Bob's Lego talk for dates with a purpose and engagements?

when i took the engagement photos for my fundie sis and her fiance it was SO OBVIOUS he had a serious hard on. I fortunately, was a clueless kid and only noticed years later. Couldn't stop laughing!

I'm going to agree with you on this. We have no evidence to show that Erin and Chad will be abusive to their children. They seen very happy and in love and good for them. Chad seems to adore Erin. I think just the fact that he's moving to Tennessee speaks volumes.

:dance: Not all ATI/ Gothard families abuse their children. Unfortunately some probably do, some might give their child occasional smack and some don't hit their kids at all. For instance I've never seen or heard any evidence to say josh and Anna are abusing their kids. Anna seems like a great mom and Anna's mother also seemed as though she was a good mom too. Ive also read some people blanket train their toddlers without hitting or smaking. I know this is a snark board but to say all children are abused is the same as saying all Catholics do this...or all Muslims do that.

Some probably do? No, many fundie parents have admitted to abusing their children.

An occasional smack. No, they use a plumbing line or other "correction" tools.

And don't forget the emotional abuse!

Also, CHAD AND ERIN ARE NOT THE FIRST FUNDIE COUPLE TO SEEM IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER.

Notice how I said "looks" in love. No one knows what they are thinking or feeling, so you are welcome to speculate as much as I am. Carry on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It could be her 'What the fuck' face for all we know :lol: I have a funny feeling he is not singing 'Let's Get It On' a la Marvin as cool as that would be 8-)

What's with the fundie apologist looking for 'piece' in the Middle East? Don't really get the analogy of sticking up for two random strangers who are proponents of a lifestyle which to name a few of it's highlights other than child discipline would like to deny women rights over their bodies and quite possibly their minds also. If you want to get all gooey eyed over an imagined love story go for it, if you want to stick up for them (for whatever reason, although doing so on this board seems a bizarre choice for that) go for it. To further your argument though, don't fucking use the death of fellow humans by chemical weapons. It's not big and it's not clever and neither are you.

Piece be with you.

Why is it all soooooo staged? It's like watching a fundie rendition of the musical montage bit of 'Love Story.'

Sorry I don't find it romantic at all. I find it forced and contrived. Imagine when they are sitting in hopefully 30 years time and say remember when we got engaged? Not exactly a private, romantic, intimate, lovely moment, with all the cameras and accountability family members watching like feckin' sex pervs.

Oh well I'm a cynic :lol:

MR OK asked me to marry him having dinner on a beach in The Maldives. The waiter took a picture, the rest of my memory is all mine not some snap show to show to the masses. 18 years later still not got round to the wedding bit :lol:

Amen. What is up with all this "oh, aren't they cute and they are going to leave behind 30 years of indoctrination because we think they are cute" crap? These are the nutjobs that are destroying the fabric of my country with their insane dominionist christianist garbage and reinterpretation of science, history and everything else because Jesus. I am here because they are ridiculous and I want to laugh at them, not lick their faces.

edited because I was too nice the first time.

I bet Chad wants a piece of Erin's middle east.

Yeah, I don't know, that seems like the only appropriate response to match walnut's above (crazy) immaturity.

Mr. Fox and I had been living in sin for about three months. One morning he came out of the bathroom and said to me, "We should get married!" I agreed and we went and told his mom. We just had our 23rd anniversary, so I guess his lack of a "real" proposal didn't matter. I can see that more romantic people would like more of a special proposal, but we're both extremely practical and non-romantic so it wasn't important to us.

Mr. Llama and I had been living in glorious sin for about a year and dating for four years when he started having double vision and bizarre vomiting episodes which resulted in a MRI which told us he had a cyst deep in his brain which required surgery to remove. He hadn't been at his job for very long at that point and we were worried about the possibility of him losing his job and thus his health insurance, so in the office of the head honcho neurosurgeon at Ohio State University I said, hey, let's get married, problem solved. And then I know I'll be able to see you in the hospital and make decisions if I have to, as your next of kin. So we got married in a friend's living room, I believe I was giving her fat beagle belly skritches at the time she signed the marriage license. He survived and came out the other side intact, he didn't lose his job or insurance, and we've been happily married for 6 years now.

What is up with all this "oh, aren't they cute and they are going to leave behind 30 years of indoctrination because we think they are cute" crap? These are the nutjobs that are destroying the fabric of my country with their insane dominionist christianist garbage and reinterpretation of science, history and everything else because Jesus. I am here because they are ridiculous and I want to laugh at them, not lick their faces.

:text-+1:

It's kind of like saying that if you were abused as a child, you will definitely abuse your own kid. That isn't true, and it is insulting and damaging to the formerly-abused new parent.

I'm not saying that at all. Do you have any kind of familiarity with this whole Quiverfull/Patriarchy thing? They have been raised to beat their children. They must beat their children or they are sinning. They must beat their children or they will be rebelling from the parents that have controlled every aspect of their lives for two decades. If a cult member had a baby, you would expect them to raise that kid according to the cult unless they actually left. You're hopelessly naive if you think Erin and Chad will throw off everything their parents have beat into them and just never hit their kids.

I don't think walnut's a troll or a fundie, I think he/she just doesn't agree with a lot of the stuff said here, but doesn't know how to deal with it. I often disagree with things said here, but I also understand that I'm on a board which exists to snark on fundies, so generally I don't rant at people who are, well... snarking on fundies.

I don't think walnut's a troll or a fundie, I think he/she just doesn't agree with a lot of the stuff said here, but doesn't know how to deal with it. I often disagree with things said here, but I also understand that I'm on a board which exists to snark on fundies, so generally I don't rant at people who are, well... snarking on fundies.

I'm doubting the fundie thing because I glanced at Walnut's other posts and boy oh boy is there a lot of cussing, unless he/she is an ex-fundie who is just super excited to use all these new swear words.

I just think Walnut has a great deal of hate and anger (which I guess a lot of trolls do). So I ask you, Walnut, directly, why so much hate?

My two cents: I think Chad & Erin look happy together, which is better than looking awkward and ambivalent. They're being filmed, some or all of the courtship/engagement/wedding should make it to TLC, and they're getting paid who knows how much to do it (I'll guess a lot). They're both from solidly fundie - not fundie-lite - families and I don't see any reason why they'll do any different. This doesn't, to me, mean they're necessarily going to horribly abuse their children, though I'm sure their view of appropriate discipline is different from most of ours. We're indirectly supporting their lifestyle to the extent we watch them and their ilk on TLC, which brings in advertisers, which lets TLC pay them to be filmed, which leads to money and new converts for their 'religion'. They provide us entertainment and food for snark. I wish they'd stay out of politics, but they won't. I'm sure they wish we'd shut up, but we won't. And so it continues...

Having had a dose of experience with gothard, courtship and other brands of Christian fundamentalism...when I look at Chad and Erin, yeah, they "look" in love but part of me feels like at least for Erin, there's a huge chance its more the idea of the whole thing. It's so common with fundie girls...the idea of romance, the idea of love, vs truly finding someone you want to be on a path with on life. And then a year or two down the road when the surprise carriage rides and wedding festivities and grand romantic gestures wind down, the soul crushing depression sets in...and then they can either double down on the fundie koolaid, break free, or stay depressed and probably take some of that depression out on their kids. For a lot of girls in this situation, marriage is their ticket out of an unhappy or overburdened family life.

And on another note...if she insisted on knowing when the proposal would happen...I read the following into that 1) she's gonna be a real hoot in the sack (/not). One wonders if Chad will need to schedule sex in advance. ;-)

2) in some sense there might be some hope at her calling a lot of the shots and feeling like she has some say in her life.

I don't know...if they really love each other, I hope their happy but when you have such an f'd up view of the world and your place in it (on both sides), I don't think they're really going to find what their looking for.

And on another note...if she insisted on knowing when the proposal would happen...I read the following into that 1) she's gonna be a real hoot in the sack (/not). One wonders if Chad will need to schedule sex in advance. ;-)

2) in some sense there might be some hope at her calling a lot of the shots and feeling like she has some say in her life.

I don't know...if they really love each other, I hope their happy but when you have such an f'd up view of the world and your place in it (on both sides), I don't think they're really going to find what their looking for.

Oh, I definitely see Erin being the dominate one in that relationship. I don't see her being the submissive, obedient, keeping sweet SAHW and SAHM.

Walnut's a troll or a fundie. I'm calling it.

Someone's tired of your hateful shit and speaks up finally. Nope, I'm not a troll. Not even a churchgoer let alone a fundy.

You are a hateful, negative human being who's probably never been called out on that before. I don't find hateful people scary, especially when I see their hatred for what it really is: loneliness and bitterness. Sheer misery... Willful misery. At the end of your wits, all the people that find your hatred disgusting, are trolls, that's your ace in the hole. From disagreement on a certain issue, to personal attacks. I pity you. :|

Someone's tired of your hateful shit and speaks up finally. Nope, I'm not a troll. Not even a churchgoer let alone a fundy.

You are a hateful, negative human being who's probably never been called out on that before. I don't find hateful people scary, especially when I see their hatred for what it really is: loneliness and bitterness. Sheer misery... Willful misery. At the end of your wits, all the people that find your hatred disgusting, are trolls, that's your ace in the hole. From disagreement on a certain issue, to personal attacks. I pity you. :|

walnut, you seem to be carrying around a pretty heavy load of hatred yourself, or else you wouldn't be expressing your outrage so vehemently in so many different posts. Call people out if you feel like it, but right now you're kind of the pot calling the kettle black.

What you need to do Walnut, is go find a new board to troll and then go fuck YOURSELF!

Archived