IGNORED

The Proverbs Family shuts it all down

FJismyheadship

Based on the laws in my state any counselor s would be required to report to CPS, I don't know how much the laws vary by state.

A complicating factor could be if the abuse took place in a different state than jtth. I am not sure which jurisdiction the report would go to, but things sometimes tend to fall through the cracks when there are different localities involved.

Most importantly though, there isn't any way of knowing whether JTTH reported or not. It isn't something either their staff, or CPS can or should discuss.

They could have done a report and it was screened out by CPS, and no one would know.

I suspect the young women aren't considered counselors--more like volunteers or co-participants. There is probably some loophole that does not make them mandated reporters. You're right, of course, that we have no way of knowing if JTTH has ever reported abuse allegations, since this would be confidential. I'd like to think JTTH and other Gothard-run organizations would do so, but, well, they seem reluctant to deal with official organizations and may be more inclined to keep this sort of information in house.

My state designates anyone dealing with vulnerable individuals as a legally mandated reporter--this is one of the requirements of my job.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her threats to prosecute are a poorly hidden attempt to make everyone back off. "Oh, we better not report her to CPS or she'll prosecute us". Ummm, no. That's not how it works. She may have intimidated her child, but she won't intimidate other adults into silence. When I think of that girl cutting herself because of what she's been put through it just makes me see red. The poor girl didn't even realize that anyone would intervene if she put info. like that out there. Her mother has convinced her that no one would give a damn. I hope this shows her otherwise. I hope she sees that there are people who care and what happened to her was not her fault and not okay.

As far as I am concerned Proverbs Mom is just as guilty as her husband at this point, and I'd just as soon see both of them go to jail. Any mother that could let something like this slide isn't worth the time it took to make her and the authorities are going to see straight through that line of bull she's shooting. They're going to shut that home daycare right down too, and then, hopefully her children can get the help they desperately need. You'll have to excuse me if I don't believe that this only happened to one of those children. I think the odds are high that K is not the only victim, and my heart breaks for these daycare parents when they find out what their children have been exposed to.

CPS isn't going to give a good goddamned how many Bible verses she spews their way or how much she prattles on about accidents, Alzheimer's, or FORGIVENESS. She can delete her blog and facebook to kingdom come, but the screenshots aren't going anywhere.

Are unlicensed, lay counselors -- or nouthetic counselors -- mandated reporters?

I don't think clergy are considered mandated reporters in every state, either.

They are if they are in an educational setting. I'm not sure about how it works in a Catholic confession - I wouldn't think priests would be reporting...the irony - or how minister/parishoner confidentiality works. I would think more mainstream ministers would report; we know IFB, with all their internal scandals, do not.

Are unlicensed, lay counselors -- or nouthetic counselors -- mandated reporters?

I don't think clergy are considered mandated reporters in every state, either.

In California the counselor doesn't have to be licensed to be a mandated reporter. Positions like camp counselor s, eligibility workers, teachers aides etc are all required to report. I haven't been to a training in a few years and don't recall the exact scope....but it's pretty broad. Varies by state I would imagine.

I dont know how ATI is still running, JTTH must have had loads of girls come out about being abuse at home that went unreported, as well as how the cult is absolutely full of child abusers and there have been stories of abuse in the ATI HQ. How is this place not shut down??

Oh, I'm sure that there have been plenty of girls telling about abuse that JTTH has heard and then helped cover up. This is ATI, the place that did this:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s= ... =Printable

And just last week, Child Protective Services began investigating the center. That investigation involves Teresa Landis, whose 10-year-old daughter spent nearly a year at the center – sent there, according to Judge Payne, after she attacked a teacher and a school bus driver.

What happened next outrages her family and critics of the ITC.

The girl allegedly was confined in a so-called "quiet room" for five days at a time; restrained by teenage "leaders" who would sit on her; and hit with a wooden paddle 14 times. At least once, the family contends, she was prevented from going to the bathroom and then forced to sit in her own urine.

The girl, allowed to see her mother only three times, wrote letters urging Landis to go to church

Now, the Investigators discover the center previous failed to report an allegation of sexual molestation.

In late 1995, documents obtained by Eyewitness News show, ITC was aware a 14-year old girl made a child molestation allegation against another resident.

Under Indiana law, ITC had a duty to report any suspected child abuse or neglect. However, state Child Protection Services learned about the alleged molestation from a probation officer – not from ITC Director Rodger Gergeni.

The documents show Gergeni knew of the allegations but failed to notify authorities: “When asked if he had filed a CPS report, Mr. Gergeni replied, ‘No. Was I supposed to?’â€

The woman who alleged the molestation told Eyewitness News that when she told Gergeni about it, he blamed her and put her in solitary confinement as punishment.

King David, the man after God’s own heart, wrote, “O how I love thy law! It is my meditation all the day.â€

I'm a law student, therefore by no means an expert in the law, but....this quote has never come up in my studies. I'm clearly doing this whole studying thing wrong :? :lol:

She has locked down the blog to invite only

"This generation is like children calling to one another across the marketplace: 'We piped, but you wouldn't dance; we wept, but you wouldn't mourn.' "

How can this woman not realize that if you have to go into hiding because of something your husband did, what you're hiding really must be a big deal?

How long does it take for CPS to visit after a report? Do you think they've been there yet? If I had a child and they were in a daycare with a known (to the daycare operator) child molester, I would be FURIOUS!!! Hell, I'm furious anyway and I don't even know anyone involved.

I truly believe the reporters (eta: the FJ members who called CPS) did the right thing but I'm in so much fear of what K is going through. After all she is a convenient scapegoat. This concerns me greatly. :(

I've been reading this thread, and honestly. For this young lady to post these things so publicly; it really comes off as her crying out for help. Help she is obviously not getting at home.

How can this woman not realize that if you have to go into hiding because of something your husband did, what you're hiding really must be a big deal?

How long does it take for CPS to visit after a report? Do you think they've been there yet? If I had a child and they were in a daycare with a known (to the daycare operator) child molester, I would be FURIOUS!!! Hell, I'm furious anyway and I don't even know anyone involved.

It is possible that someone with screen caps and certain knowledge of who is whom would get faster action calling the Day Care licensing organization, assuming this woman has a licensed day care operation. CPS may be backlogged, but I'd say a licensing org for day cares might move this kind of complaint to the top of the pile-- especially given the excuse that the husband has alzheimers and doesn't (always) know what he's doing.... just a thought.

I tried to find one but my Google Fu is useless and nonexistent... so if anyone else can find it let me know and I will make the call.

I've been reading this thread, and honestly. For this young lady to post these things so publicly; it really comes off as her crying out for help. Help she is obviously not getting at home.

It's kind of like teenagers whose parents and family follow them on FB and Twitter post about skipping school and other things of that nature. They WANT people to know.

It is possible that someone with screen caps and certain knowledge of who is whom would get faster action calling the Day Care licensing organization, assuming this woman has a licensed day care operation. CPS may be backlogged, but I'd say a licensing org for day cares might move this kind of complaint to the top of the pile-- especially given the excuse that the husband has alzheimers and doesn't (always) know what he's doing.... just a thought.

I don't think she's licensed. She's not on the list for Washington County.

https://dhs.arkansas.gov/dccece/cclas/F ... earch.aspx

She has locked down the blog to invite only

As you do, when you just want to be a beacon of truth and light to a dying world, and you have nothing to hide.

How many kids did she keep in her home? I'm not surprised at all that she was unlicensed, but a lot of states are getting stricter with the home daycare laws and how many unrelated kids you can keep in your home.

ETA: In her state it says this: "A home requires licensing when one (1) or more persons care for six (6) or more children, from more than one (1) family at the same time"

I'm confused as to what this means. You can have keep six kids but they all have to be from one family?

It's kind of like teenagers whose parents and family follow them on FB and Twitter post about skipping school and other things of that nature. They WANT people to know.

She wanted help. I have a family member who was cutting herself and then wearing sleeveless tops so we could all see it. She kicked up a fuss about going to counseling and taking medication, but she owns long sleeved tops and she's well aware we all have eyes. She could have covered up the cuts, she chose not to.

This girl is exactly the same way. She wants someone to care that she was molested. She tried to get the people near her to care, and they didn't, so she reached out to strangers on the internet in the hope that maybe one of them would care. And, just like my relative, now that help is coming, she's scared of the change it will bring and is kicking up a fuss.

How many kids did she keep in her home? I'm not surprised at all that she was unlicensed, but a lot of states are getting stricter with the home daycare laws and how many unrelated kids you can keep in your home.

ETA: In her state it says this: "A home requires licensing when one (1) or more persons care for six (6) or more children, from more than one (1) family at the same time"

I'm confused as to what this means. You can have keep six kids but they all have to be from one family?

I think it means you could hypothetically watch 7+ children, as long as they all were from one family? (otherwise the Duggar family needs a daycare license three times over! lol)

I think it means you could hypothetically watch 7+ children, as long as they all were from one family? (otherwise the Duggar family needs a daycare license three times over! lol)

Yeah, looking after a relatives kids are okay, even if you were Michelle's sister and babysitting all the Jkids at once.

I also think youre ok to not have a license if you only babysit for the kids of one family at once, but if you regularly look after kids from two families at once (unless theres less than six of them) then you need a license.

If her own kids are younger than a certain age (no idea if it's 18 or 12 or ???) they are counted among the 6 children she can watch.

Ten.

So basically her teenage daughters don't count. She has four daycare kids if I remember right.

There are two daycare licenses in Bentonville from what I see. small is 4 to 6. that's type a. type b is more than 6.

Even if it doesn't have to be licensed, there has to be some law about running a small home daycare with a child molester living in the home.

Archived