IGNORED

Female Professors are "Professorettes"

DomWackTroll

"Halfway through the piling up, the girl looked up at her Dad and demonstrated her budding gift for commanding the male sex: "Dad, let me do it!"

He acted like he hadn't heard and, thankfully, Her Royal Highness didn't protest again. "... aaaand this is where I closed the tab the fuck down. This was into his second paragraph I guess.

I had no idea who this person was before I commented.

This person loathes women and treats them like they were a leper. Even little girls. Holy shit someone hit this asshole with a truck.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanna hear something even worse?

Tim Bayley's daughter was a National Merit Scholar, and she turned it down to either get married or stay home.

:angry-banghead:

Did anyone else notice that the gay-wedding-looking pic of the two Bayly brothers is now gone from their masthead? I guess they got one too many posts congratulating them. :)

Tim Bayley's daughter was a National Merit Scholar, and she turned it down to either get married or stay home.

:angry-banghead:

I've always thought it was so odd that Bayly named one of his daughters "Michal," after the wife of King David who died "barren and childless."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michal

One can only imagine his twisted reason for doing so.

Wow. I honestly can't tell if he's insulting that guy and his daughter, or being supportive. I'm sorry, was an 8 year old supposed to make the purchase herself? And what's all this about a shrimpy fading jock? I ... don't get it.

What a douche.

I think he was trying to wax poetic about fathers ranging from the highest of the high ("prince") to the lowliest of low ("fading shrimp of a wannabe jock"). He failed miserably and just comes off as a tool.

See also:

"Her Royal Highness" and "descended from her throne"

pearl-clutching about public schools

pearl-clutching about "offending the righteous" because he adores his daughter(s) (and the description really is pale shades of Gollum)

"sub-Christian"

Acting like parents who expect their daughters to aspire to be more than just a housewife and mother are terrible people

"professorette"

"bitch goddess of success"

Did anyone else notice that the gay-wedding-looking pic of the two Bayly brothers is now gone from their masthead? I guess they got one too many posts congratulating them. :)

:lol: We had a lot of fun with the "My Two Dads" pic, didn't we?

:angry-banghead:[/quote

This is why they have to keep pounding women about submission. They get bright people, educate them to a point then marry them off to someone who may or may not be a good intellectual match, but Daddy likes him and at 22, and never let out of his parent's sight, he is morally upright. Possibly stupid as a rock, possibly cruel, but morally acceptable and goes to church. Quickly enslave her with a few blessings to tie her in one place and give him "a little responsibility" and "walla" you have the recipe for a marriage that requires constant work to maintain. WHich is what they preach marriage is.

I am so glad my family never even tasted that kool aid.

OK found it on the blog: Michal was the National Merit Scholar and got married and started popping out kids instead of taking it. The Baylys are all full of praise for her of course. :angry-banghead:

It is not that I am constantly seeking reassurance that others have it worse but, there are these humbling moments where I realize how lucky I am for not growing up among freaks like that. There are a lot of these entitled misogyninsts that raise daughters... :pull-hair: And not all of them blog. I cannot imagine what it's like to be in their stead. Thank goodness for my upbringing even though it was slightly dysfunctional.

As to the scholarship turndown: yes... I m not surprised. These children have to turn down so many opportunities... :mouse-shock: :cry:

It is not that I am constantly seeking reassurance that others have it worse but, there are these humbling moments where I realize how lucky I am for not growing up among freaks like that. There are a lot of these entitled misogyninsts that raise daughters... :pull-hair: And not all of them blog. I cannot imagine what it's like to be in their stead. Thank goodness for my upbringing even though it was slightly dysfunctional.

As to the scholarship turndown: yes... I m not surprised. These children have to turn down so many opportunities... :mouse-shock: :cry:

Right before she left I took her aside and said, "Michal, I want to warn you about something. When you're hanging out with clerks and justices, it's likely several of them are going to ask you what you're going to do when you grow up. They'll note how bright and articulate you are; they'll see that you're pretty and polite; and they'll know you can go far in the legal world. They're absolutely right. But remember, if you decide to go to law school and become a judge, you can't be a mother. Being a mother is much too important to play second fiddle to a court.

"If you want, you may go to law school. And you'll do well. But that choice will have meant that you've also chosen not to be a mother. So look at your mother and think carefully about your future. What kind of a mother was she? Do you want to be like her? Or do you want to spend your life in the courts? Where's your heart? You better think about it right now because, if you love motherhood, you need to be on guard against the flattery and seduction that will come your way next week."

Listening, Michal grew increasingly impatient. Finally she put her hand on my arm and said, "Don't worry, Daddy. I know what I want." With a soft smile and kiss she left for Pittsburgh. And she had a wonderful time.

The blog says she later went to a local college, married and at the time had miscarried 2x (maybe god wanted her to be a lawyer) and was working with her husband as amissionarey in South Africa.

Both of my husband's brother talked a daughter out of going to medical school. The first used the same arguement used here... If you are a physician, you won't have time for kids, you'll be working all the time. So she became a nurse and had far less control over her schedule than she might have had as a physician, then began working full time in her husband's business instead. (Somehow, she is also homeschooling, but I think that means the oldest is homeschooling the younger kids)

The other brother couldn't use the marriage/mommy/religion thing on his daughter as he had lost his creds in that. However, he did rail on about the money issues. I believe she didn't care about medicine as much, and is now finishing a phd in a liberal arts area, which likely bugs him to death, but she moved far away and never sees him, so I doubt she cares.

I will say my husband somehow escaped the narrow minded sexist attitudes of his brothers, but his mom had a stronger influence on him than on them, and he had his conciousness raised before I met him when he was 22.

Who gives a you-know-what about excellence and brilliance when a newborn baby—yea, a newborn baby daughter—is the alternative.

Fundies desperately try to pound this message into their wives and daughters. Having babies trumps everything you could ever possibly want to pursue.

And of course it's either/or for these people. The millions of women who have the best of both worlds just don't exist...?

If I were a professor and someone called me a professorette I would kick them out of my class that second.

See also:

"Her Royal Highness" and "descended from her throne"

pearl-clutching about public schools

pearl-clutching about "offending the righteous" because he adores his daughter(s) (and the description really is pale shades of Gollum)

"sub-Christian"

Acting like parents who expect their daughters to aspire to be more than just a housewife and mother are terrible people

"professorette"

"bitch goddess of success"

I don't know the context that he uses the bolded in, and I don't want to read his blog to find out, but I personally think this could be an awesome title. "Bow down before me, for I am the Bitch Goddess of Success!" :worship:

I've personally heard men (preachers from the pulpit) refer to female pastors as "pastorettes." This is usually delivered with a smirk or cute grin like they think it's funny. It is most definitely "vile misogyny," and the Baylys are but just one example.

ETA: What the heck happened to my avatar?

What do they call female priests? Do they dare use the still-heavily-freighted term "priestess?"

ETA: Or were they of the school of thought that pretends that Episcopalians, like bisexuals, don't exist?

I don't know the context that he uses the bolded in, and I don't want to read his blog to find out, but I personally think this could be an awesome title. "Bow down before me, for I am the Bitch Goddess of Success!" :worship:

I thought the phrase itself was pretty awesome too. In context, it was definitely meant to be derogatory toward women who pursue other paths than that of housewife and mother.

Here's the whole sentence-long paragraph:

There's no doubt in my mind that the young father running his credit card at Walmart as his daughter waits and the cashier smiles at him tenderly is closer to the Kingdom of Heaven than all the Reformed lawyers, professorettes, and engineers who know how to pronounce "sovereign" and eagerly await Crossway's Gospel Transformation Bible while training their daughters to pursue that bitch goddess of success we call "excellence."
Notice how he also seems to think being able to pronouce "sovereign" is somehow elitist. :roll:

Remember the infamous poem that Tim's daughter-in-law, "Mrs. Joseph Tate Bayly IV," wrote? Caused a mini-scandal in the Reformed blogging community:

Will you be a wife?

Lay/ you in the casket/ To be one man's/ Help/ Mate/

To follow/ respect/ submit/ obey

Will you stand behind a man?

Purge/ you of dignity/ you of self-determination

Will you be weak/ so He will be strong?

Will you be a wife?/ to/ one/ man

Rid/ you of ambition

He/ is you now/

u/ disappear

baylyblog.com/blog/2008/08/i-think-you-want-wife

Lovely, isn't it?

It's hilarious that these idiots speak of high-intensity professions like law or medicine without having ANY idea of what they're actually like. At one point, my mom ran not one, but TWO medical facilities - a live-in medical center for special needs patients and a minor med clinic in an area where an 8 pm call along the lines of "my husband cut off his finger trying to saw the antlers off of roadkill" were a weekly occurrence. I turned out just fine. Oh yeah, and she gave birth to me while employed full-time as a trauma surgeon. As a single mom. In the Soviet Union. Where they didn't have hospitalist call schedules that mandate you show up to work a whopping 7 shifts a month for a measly $300k.

I HATE seeing wasted potential.

This post is a little confusing and if you don't know the Baylys you may be baffled. Here is my impression of what he is trying to say:

1. The little girl was trying to boss her dad! (that is bad)

2. That bossiness was taught by her mom (bad again)

3. Little girls and women always try to boss men, so I'll refer to this child with terms like "Queen" and "Her Royal Highness"

4. Little girls are so cute!

5. Everyone agrees little girls are cute, but some evil professorettes try to teach them terrible things, like don't have babies and have jobs instead.

6. It's really great when women are vulnerable and completely dependent on their husbands. Then men can be men!

It was #6 that really pissed me off. My mom was dependent on my dad (at least she felt she was) and had nearly 30 years of misery and abuse as a result.

Any man that is that intimidated by an 8 year old girl's offering to help her father has serious issues with his masculinity.

Ah, but she didn't offer to help - she demanded (the brat!) to do it herself! One of the rites of passage, IMHO and experience, is when a child says, "I can do it myself." That sentence indicates newfound self-assurance and confidence in the kiddo's own abilities - and possibly, it indicates that indeed, s/he wants to take a part of the grownup's burden.

It's my heart broke and my stomach turned to read the numerous attaboys posted in support of Brayly's negative and insulting interpretation of the child's initiative. Think: every weekend and possibly Wednesdays, dozens gather to affirm that donkey's bitter and maliciousness. Oh. Ugh.

In a Wal-Mart restroom--last February, I think--I had an older-man younger-man experience.

Did anyone see this statement in the comments? I suppose that I could use my PhD to read further and to discover its surely entirely innocent meaning, but since I'm just a professorette, I'll continue to take it out of context and snigger to myself.

Did anyone see this statement in the comments? I suppose that I could use my PhD to read further and to discover its surely entirely innocent meaning, but since I'm just a professorette, I'll continue to take it out of context and snigger to myself.

Bayly Blog posters spend so much time thinking about, brooding about, and agonizing about a "sin" that supposedly does not afflict them that Mr. Subconscious is bound to, uh, REAR his ugly HEAD every now and then. (Or all the time. In every thread.)

Soul shredding temples of secularism? He does like his imagery, doesn't he? The whole beautiful pimple thing and sniffing of girls' hair was a touch squirrely.

Definite creepy vibe from this one.

The -ess gives it a little royal touch, in my eyes. I love the word "Jewess". It's so classy. Lioness. Tigress. Better than a she-wolf... A she-wolf is a wolf too... The -ette can be acceptable too, but not when it comes to skilled people's titles.

ESS

ETTE

INA

INE

ENNE

EUSE

ISTA, and the list goes on... I think most of these are lovable. Terms of endearment. Professorette is degrading. And, it's still not a word : )

I, myself, am partial to TRIX. I think it sounds classy as fuck. E.g. Aviatrix, dominatrix, executrix, etc.

The very word success ends with -ESS! :cracking-up: :dance: The words knows... you need and -ess to have success, or it will be just SUCKS :lol:

Archived