IGNORED

Female Professors are "Professorettes"

DomWackTroll

Now who would call them such a thing? Bet you can't guess. Think hard (if your silly vagina doesn't prevent you!).

baylyblog.com/blog/2013/08/fatherhood-outside-st-marys-and-inside-walmart

Oh, but his Mary Lee is so very very very very precious to him. (No comments yet, but I can't wait.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love vulnerable mothers who are dependent on their husbands.

This is the single most frightening thing I have read in a long while.

Wow. I honestly can't tell if he's insulting that guy and his daughter, or being supportive. I'm sorry, was an 8 year old supposed to make the purchase herself? And what's all this about a shrimpy fading jock? I ... don't get it.

What a douche.

Wow. I honestly can't tell if he's insulting that guy and his daughter, or being supportive. I'm sorry, was an 8 year old supposed to make the purchase herself? And what's all this about a shrimpy fading jock? I ... don't get it.

What a douche.[/quote]

:agree:

The upside is that, until I read this post I didn't know this guy existed. I now know that he has a blog and some small which gives him a pulpit, along with his blog, from which to condescend in God's name. In my real life, I don't anticipate him ever having any impact on me. He will be a good example of why we must fight the right wing if I need to forward sexist and bigoted info to anyone.

I know that it is not very common in feminists, and that is quite the understatement of the century, but I love girly girl stuff sometimes and there are time when I find the suffixes -ette, -ess, to be adorable or classy, lady-like.

But not in this case I don't. Professors are professors. Professorette (HA! it's underlined like a spelling mistake! like it is) is downright degrading. "Yes, she can read and write and shit but she's still just a woman". This is how I unzip that made-up word that stings my eyes like a pair of ski poles! Ouch! I'm trying to sing lalalalala so that my brain won't try to pronounce it out loud inside my head.

What a douche.

Patronizing.

Best case scenario: just really, really thoughtless and dumb but I'm not holding my breath... :hand: :snooty:

Isn't the old-fashioned term, "Professoress?" I don't know; my mom used to call me an "absent-minded professoress."

I was wondering the same thing. "Professoress" sounds like we're talking about a grown up women - still underlined though... like it's a spelling mistake - the -ette suffix makes it sound like "oh you little smartie, you. Who let you out of the doll house?"

Professorette - a woman with the same education as a professor, except not taken seriously.

So, are lawyer and engineer still male-only professions, or have they just not come up with the appropriate diminutive suffix yet?

And are female homo sapiens humans or humanettes?

GO FUCK YOURSELVES, YOU DESPICABLE LOW LIVES. I would like to see those loons display an OUNCE of the work, sacrifice and determination, not to mention talent, that it takes to get through grad school, get a PhD and become a prof. Of course they wouldn't last a day in a graduate seminar, since that would require critical thought, let alone write anything remotely interesting or relate to students. I do not have less to offer than my male colleagues just because I have a vagina.

I know that it is not very common in feminists, and that is quite the understatement of the century, but I love girly girl stuff sometimes and there are time when I find the suffixes -ette, -ess, to be adorable or classy, lady-like.

But not in this case I don't. Professors are professors. Professorette (HA! it's underlined like a spelling mistake! like it is) is downright degrading. "Yes, she can read and write and shit but she's still just a woman". This is how I unzip that made-up word that stings my eyes like a pair of ski poles! Ouch! I'm trying to sing lalalalala so that my brain won't try to pronounce it out loud inside my head.

Me, too. "Hostess" = fun and retro. "Professorette" = more vile misogyny from Tim Bayly.

I've personally heard men (preachers from the pulpit) refer to female pastors as "pastorettes." This is usually delivered with a smirk or cute grin like they think it's funny. It is most definitely "vile misogyny," and the Baylys are but just one example.

ETA: What the heck happened to my avatar?

ETAA: Okay, I changed it. I took the photo; therefore, I own the rights to it.

by watchdog » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:16 am

I've personally heard men (preachers from the pulpit) refer to female pastors as "pastorettes." This is usually delivered with a smirk or cute grin like they think it's funny. It is most definitely "vile misogyny," and the Baylys are but just one example.

Tragically - and infuriatingly - I've heard the same thing said, not from the pulpit, but by theologically sound but interpersonally plodding pastors/radio hosts. (see: Issues, Etc.) It's an embarrassment. The upside is: Hearing that said, I began to really think about what it implied, and it was probably the push I needed to begin to carefully examine my beliefs.

Don't know if I'll click on the BaylyBlog. Those guys make me angry in the same was DryAsDust2.com (Maxwells) makes me sad.

From that same blog, is this man from the same family of Kellers we know of?

baylyblog.com/blog/2010/04/tim-keller-preaching-about-homosexuality-ummmm-it%E2%80%99s-just-it%E2%80%99s-just-think-about-you-know?icn=pop_alltime

I'm too tired to comment on this, but initially I feel pretty bad for the guy they're raking over the coals. Will have a fresh look in the morning.

ETA: What the heck happened to my avatar?

Tinypic suxxx. I upload a lot of photos, no nudity or drug abuse or anything just artsy-fartsy photos of random places and situations. Yet they keep blocking me. They s-ck.

So, are lawyer and engineer still male-only professions, or have they just not come up with the appropriate diminutive suffix yet?

We don't need the word humanette. Just think about it. Mankind... manhood... not only in English, but in many other languages that don't even spring off from the same root, humanity in general is referred to as "abunchofmales". :cray-cray: :nenner: :disgust:

GO FUCK YOURSELVES, YOU DESPICABLE LOW LIVES. I would like to see those loons display an OUNCE of the work, sacrifice and determination, not to mention talent, that it takes to get through grad school, get a PhD and become a prof. Of course they wouldn't last a day in a graduate seminar, since that would require critical thought, let alone write anything remotely interesting or relate to students. I do not have less to offer than my male colleagues just because I have a vagina.

Misogynistic males are intimidated by educated women. In the community where I grew up, it's a farming area, it was really seldom until the 60s for people to make it through an A-level exam... let alone have a degree!

My mom told me that when she was my age, women who graduated from high school! and got jobs that were other than physical labor and worked in offices, were referred to as "office whores" by the intimidated crowd of "males" (sorry to male animals!).

Even to this day, in my hometown and in the area... people don't take it kindly if you dare mention you have an education. :cray-cray: They can get downright vicious and hostile. Even if it's not out of braggery - why brag, I know so many people who have a degree! and then some - they will like, smack their lips with disgust, like, who the hell do you think you are. *sigh*

Some people, regardless of gender, feel inferior to educated people which is totally silly. I have seen old people with zero education so smart and so outspoken, enlightened, decent and clever, and people with degrees who were complete jackasses. But not everyone thinks that way. Some people love to diminish the value of a woman's work and never ever, under any circumstances will they acknowledge the hard work, the sacrifices, the determination that's behind their success.

Um... if it's not too pushy of me... *hug* Never ever let anyone's hatred, fear or jealousy get you or bring you down. They think they are below you and they would like to drag you down, too.

THIS X 1000! I'm a woman getting a PhD, and it is hard work! I'm also one of those evil egalitarian Presbyterians whose beliefs Bayly insults and misrepresents. I may not agree with his theology, just as he does not agree with mine, but I would never presume to call someone "sub-Christian" because of it. The hubris! You deal with your soul and I'll deal with mine, sir.

Me, too. "Hostess" = fun and retro. "Professorette" = more vile misogyny from Tim Bayly.

The suffix, "-ette," is diminutive, less than. A woman may have the same education as a man, but she is "less than" in all ways, including brains. It's probably because of some liberal women's equality program that she was awarded any degrees at all, seeing as women can't really think for themselves, anyhow.

This guy's blog is :cray-cray: and I think he's a little too fond of smelling young girls' hair and keeping females "vulnerable" and silent (what the hell is wrong with an 8 yr old putting things on a check-out conveyor? Is it because she took the initiative to ask her dad something or is it because her vulnerable little arms are too weak to lift big packages of pencils and paper or is it because females' place is standing there silently until a man gives them a command - and what's this about sitting on her throne? She's not allowed to help her dad so she decides to sit on the bench to wait and by doing that she's somehow reigning over her father?) :wtf:

I have heard "lawyeress" before. Not sure about engineer. Engineeress?

The -ess gives it a little royal touch, in my eyes. I love the word "Jewess". It's so classy. Lioness. Tigress. Better than a she-wolf... A she-wolf is a wolf too... The -ette can be acceptable too, but not when it comes to skilled people's titles.

ESS

ETTE

INA

INE

ENNE

EUSE

ISTA, and the list goes on... I think most of these are lovable. Terms of endearment. Professorette is degrading. And, it's still not a word : )

From that same blog, is this man from the same family of Kellers we know of?

baylyblog.com/blog/2010/04/tim-keller-preaching-about-homosexuality-ummmm-it%E2%80%99s-just-it%E2%80%99s-just-think-about-you-know?icn=pop_alltime

I'm too tired to comment on this, but initially I feel pretty bad for the guy they're raking over the coals. Will have a fresh look in the morning.

I would be shocked if he is. He's considered quite sophisticated and liberal in Presby circles. Bayly has posted photos off the website of Tim Keller's church and insinuated that his congregants are more than just annoying hipsters. Skinny jeans, long scarves, and bowl haircuts mean rampant butt sex, you know.

I went and read the blog post in question. The fuck did I just read? I find it creepy the way he seems to put little girls up on a pedestal.

Archived