IGNORED

The Royal Baby Is Here! It's a BOY!

ljohnson2006

I think Arthur would be pretty cool. Definitely wish they have some way of honoring Diana in there.

I was also hoping for a girl, but I guess a son will do. :lol:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, but the male version of Frances is Francis, so who knows if they will go there. Yes, Diana's brother has been vocal about the royal family (and rightfully so, IMHO). Diana's father was Edward John Spencer, so maybe we will see something from his name. Diana adored her father by most accounts I have read.

I'm wondering if they'll put Francis in there for Diana. But with the current Pope being Francis, would that be too Catholic for the Monarchy? Not sure if that really matters in this day and age, especially if the name is the kid's fourth name and since it's a call back to Diana, but still.

I am no royalist but am happy enough living in this 'backward country' with it's centuries of history and cool historical sites to visit. Only the Queeny Bop receives money from the government. The tax that costs me personally is probably so pathetic as to be unnoticeable and contributes in the same was as my divi of the tax goes to the NHS and maintaining National parks and public swimming pools etc. In other words you gain more as a society than you lose. Lets face it who does not visit the Tower of London or Buck pally when going to London :lol:

Wellllll, that would be me. On two visits, both of several weeks' duration. I did PASS BY Buckingham Palace on my way to the Who exhibit at the ICA but that was the extent of the touristy stuff. No Tower, no Parliament, no nuthin. I did, however, go to the Marquee, the Nashville, Hope and Anchor, Rainbow, Music Machine, the offices of Stiff and Radar Records and various other late lamented music-related haunts so that was history enough for me back then, thank you. What can I say, it was the 70s and I was a pink-haired punk. I did get to Shetland though and that was super cool, even though I didn't see any ponies. Darn.

I've really got to get back to the UK one day and make up for what I missed, especially since I adore British history.

What do you think the odds are that they'll name the kid Ethelred?

Wellllll, that would be me. On two visits, both of several weeks' duration. I did PASS BY Buckingham Palace on my way to the Who exhibit at the ICA but that was the extent of the touristy stuff. No Tower, no Parliament, no nuthin. I did, however, go to the Marquee, the Nashville, Hope and Anchor, Rainbow, Music Machine, the offices of Stiff and Radar Records and various other late lamented music-related haunts so that was history enough for me back then, thank you. What can I say, it was the 70s and I was a pink-haired punk. I did get to Shetland though and that was super cool, even though I didn't see any ponies. Darn.

I've really got to get back to the UK one day and make up for what I missed, especially since I adore British history.

What do you think the odds are that they'll name the kid Ethelred?

:lol: Brilliant. I think I was generalising. Your tourist trail sounds amazing.

Ethelred would be a no, just guessing :lol: Would be awesome though.

Ethelred would be a no, just guessing :lol: Would be awesome though.

I like Ethelstan. Ethelred was Unready after all.

And I made those suggestions and mightily upset some nutty women on a Kate worshiping site yesterday. :twisted:

Can someone explain to me how the royals use their last names? I read this morning that there are several last names that could be picked for HRH. What?

Well, but the male version of Frances is Francis, so who knows if they will go there. Yes, Diana's brother has been vocal about the royal family (and rightfully so, IMHO). Diana's father was Edward John Spencer, so maybe we will see something from his name. Diana adored her father by most accounts I have read.

Edward would be a nice way of honoring Diana's family, and it has a long history of various kings with that name.

What do you all think Diana would feel about being a grandma? And would the media be just as relentless with her now if she were alive, or would they be paying more attention to the younger generation?

What do you all think Diana would feel about being a grandma? And would the media be just as relentless with her now if she were alive, or would they be paying more attention to the younger generation?

In my opinion, part of the reason that Wills and Kate are such media darlings is because Diana's dead. If she wasn't, I think they'd be a hell of a lot more critical of them.

In my opinion, part of the reason that Wills and Kate are such media darlings is because Diana's dead. If she wasn't, I think they'd be a hell of a lot more critical of them.

There are a lot of "what ifs" if Diana were alive. Charles probably would not have married Camilla (at least I hope not, but there was nothing to stop him once his ex-wife was dead), Diana would probably still be the apple of the public's eye, and Kate very well would have less of a confident air about her while living under the shadow of William's mother. And maybe if Diana were alive, he wouldn't have chosen Kate (or even gone back to her after they broke up for awhile). Despite Diana's troubles, she was a good mother and certainly made change to the royal family.

Now, where are the photos of that new baby??? Diana was photographed leaving St. Mary's with both of her sons. Certainly Kate has left hospital by now, right?

Can someone explain to me how the royals use their last names? I read this morning that there are several last names that could be picked for HRH. What?

His parents are currently the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, as I understand it the new Prince should be HRH The Prince of Cambridge. When or if Charles becomes King the Prince of Wales title falls to William and the Princess of Wales to Kate. I think technically their "last names" are Windsor although some of the older royals used to use "Mountbatten Windsor" ETA - apparently Royal princes/princesses use their title as a last name i.e. William and Harry use Wales as a last name. Non royal grandchildren/relatives use the last name much as anyone else with Princess Anne's children using Phillips, Princess Margaret's children using Armstrong-Jones. Prince Michael of Kent's children used Windsor.

Add to that Anne refused titles for her children as did her first husband. Oh, and when the younger royals marry the Queen generally doles out a Dukedom, changing their kids' last name....

surely someone can explain this better than me...

I do know that the official "last name" is Windsor, but it all depends on what they choose.

I do know that the official "last name" is Windsor, but it all depends on what they choose.

Prince William’s surname is Mountbatten-Windsor. . . . All of the Queen’s descendants carry the “official†royal surname Windsor, while Prince William (and Prince Harry, for that matter) also carry the last name Mountbatten to honor Prince Philip’s (her husband) heritage as well.

As for the royal baby boy’s name? The most likely guesses so far as to name of the child are ones that are both long and traditional, including some historic namesakes from the monarchy like Charles, Edward, Philip, or James.

http://www.examiner.com/article/prince-william-surname-is-mountbatten-windsor-royal-baby-name-will-be-linked

My guess is George Phillip Charles James.

William is "William Wales" in the RAF. I don't think his whole name would fit on his shirt :D

Kate's staying another night in the hospital, according to my mum who's a mad royal-watcher.

My feelings about the monarchy you can probably guess ;) no doubt they are a nice young couple and all that but really, bollocks to the lot of it. The baby'll just look like a baby, they all do. I have not shared in the excitement.

My work's been running a sweepstake on royal baby names, I think it's up to 25 quid now, so they better announce the name soon :lol:

yikes that betting

seems in the naming category they can choose the surname Wales, Cambridge or Mountbatten Windsor. Eugenie and Beatrice, use their father's title as a last name (York)....so, who knows...

I'm not keen on the idea of an unelected head of state, either. Surely this child will lead a life of privilege, but of little choice (school, military career, life of public service and paparazzi).

Hahahahaha, my mum was wrong! I bet she is glued to the news as we speak

Not Henry - too easy confused with William's brother.

The bookies have James high up on the list but that seems unlikely to me too as William has a cousin James. Surely there are enough names in the UK not to double up.

I am hoping for Francis just because it would be a bit different to the traditional 5-6 names for kings. I've just been listening to that Horrible Histories song - William, William, Henry, Richard, Henry, Richard, John, etc. I hope he is given a name that no king has ever had before!

That's why I like Henry. Since Harry will never be king, I think it would be nice to give the baby and heir his name.

I'd like Alexander too.

Didn't Kate look well! 24 hours post birth I looked like shit.

I think they both look tired! But of course, they should. To have to stand and pose in front of the media when all you want to do is put on a pair of comfy sweat pants and hang out on the couch must be awful.

And, she's wearing heels. She's a rock star, for sure.

Didn't Kate look well! 24 hours post birth I looked like shit.

I bet you never had a hairdresser and make-up person on hand, nor did you have a wide selection of dresses chosen for you. :wink-kitty:

Archived