IGNORED

The Royal Baby Is Here! It's a BOY!

ljohnson2006

Another perspective: I've never thought of ranga as offensive, just descriptive slang. Certainly never heard it said as if the red hair is a bad thing.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither did I but dh (who has red hair) tells me it can be (he says it's much better than 'human tampon' though.) I think it might have been worse 25 years ago before sun safety was so mainstream and the red-headed kid was the only one who had to cover up and be slathered in pink zinc. Now it's pretty normal to be sun-conscious and they fit in a bit more easily.

I'd never heard the term ranga before I came to Australia (I'm American), but it seems offensive to compare someone's hair color to an orangutan. I've asked my redheaded Aussie friends about it (so five people, all in their 20s, all female) and they tell me it's a bit hurtful to hear at times. And it surprises me that there genuinely seems to be an anti redhead sentiment here (like with all the crap Julia Gillard got for being a redhead, for example), when I believe there's a large number of people here who have Irish or Scottish heritage.

I've always loved red hair. I think it's such a pretty color. In my opinion, Harry is looking a lot better than William these days.

Is it wrong of me for hoping that Prince George is a ginger so we can really sing "Weasley is Our King"?

I beleive a lot of th enegativity towards red hair stems back to the Invasions of the UK. The early peoples supposedly had red hair so having red hair expressed a link to th eoriginal conquered people. It s pretty funny when you consider that HenryVIII and Elizabeth! were vibrant red haeads- you would think that there would be a lot more pride in those roots, instead the dark or blond colouration is celebrated.

I don't get all the negativity towards redheads. I sure spend a lot of money making sure my naturally dull brown locks are a lovely shade of auburn. I get a lot of compliments on my fake red hair. And a lot of people assume I'm a natural redhead because I do have very fair skin and light blue eyes.

And I think Prince Harry is sexy as fuck!

I have a number of redheads in my family. My dad's sister has red hair as do her two sons. My Jewish niece has red hair and does my grandniece who will probably be raised Presbyterian. My daughter has red hair as well although her red is a little less intense than my aunt's, cousins', niece's and grandniece's. Oh, and one of my other daughter's got suspended from school once for having "unnaturally colored hair". She dyed her hair red!

In Nell Kimball: Her Life as an American Madam by Stephen Longstreet, she wrote that "red-headed Jewish girls from Poland" were especially desirable as prostitutes in the brothels of San Francisco. I don't know why any of those three personal attributes should make them great hookers.

I've never understood the negativity towards readheads. I've dyed my hair many different shades of red, looking for that perfect one but to no avail. so alas, I stay brown haired. :(

In Nell Kimball: Her Life as an American Madam by Stephen Longstreet, she wrote that "red-headed Jewish girls from Poland" were especially desirable as prostitutes in the brothels of San Francisco. I don't know why any of those three personal attributes should make them great hookers.

Because they were considered exotic, maybe? I dunno.

All of this talk about Jews with red hair made me think about the Jewish redheads I've known. There are more than I would've thought, including three whole families--both parents and kids--with red or reddish hair.

Red hair is beautiful! I love the variety of shades it can come in, from almost blond to deep auburn.

I have been blond, red and brown. I love being red. Blond is my natural hair color, red feels like home for me. I don't go as far as Karen Gillian from Doctor Who, I am more of a brown red person anything else. It just looks so GOOD. I am thinking of trying the full ginger.

I look good with almost any hair color, I must have the perfect fair complexion where I can pull off anything and I have blue eyes. Always helps!

Archived