IGNORED

The Truth About Ruth - Part 4

happy atheist

I just noticed that the word "neighborhood" is used at least four times in the letter and every time it is spelled in the American way, without the 'u' it would have when spelled the Canadian way. And yet this took place in Canada. Hmmm...

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be an American living in Canada. I'm American and sometimes spell things the British/Canadian way. Like humour, neighbourhood, colour, etc.

One thing that has been bugging me that is totally irrelevant but.... That is not purple paper. It is white paper and a bad picture with a color cast. You can see in the bottom creased area where the paper is actually white.

Carry on.

To me, the American spelling of neighbourhood points again to a teenager(s) as being the likely letter writer. Microsoft Word defaults to American for those sorts of words, so neighbourhood spelt the British/Canadian way is underlined with a red squiggly line and picked up as a misspelling when you run it through spellcheck. If a teen ran it through spellcheck to ensure euthanize and other "larger" words they used to lend credence to the claim an adult wrote it were spelled correctly, its possible they just clicked replace for neighbourhood as well.

Could be an American living in Canada. I'm American and sometimes spell things the British/Canadian way. Like humour, neighbourhood, colour, etc.

Yes that's just what I was thinking. Maybe that can help them hone in on their suspect.

To me, the American spelling of neighbourhood points again to a teenager(s) as being the likely letter writer. Microsoft Word defaults to American for those sorts of words, so neighbourhood spelt the British/Canadian way is underlined with a red squiggly line and picked up as a misspelling when you run it through spellcheck. If a teen ran it through spellcheck to ensure euthanize and other "larger" words they used to lend credence to the claim an adult wrote it were spelled correctly, its possible they just clicked replace for neighbourhood as well.

That also makes sense to me. When I tried to imagine who could write such a thing, the only image I could conjure up was a teenager(s) or young adults, probably (in my imaginings) under the influence of drugs or alcohol, fueling the extra exclamation points and the extra measures of pure meanness in that letter. I hadn't thought about the spellcheck role but I think you're absolutely right that someone would just blindly correct everything Word says is wrong.

Home sick today and I spent over 2 hours skimming Razing Ruth's story. I remember visiting her blog briefly when I found it here on FJ but never was a follower. Knowing now that she asked for money it's screams "scam" from the get go.

As far as this letter in Canada thing goes, I'm constantly amazed at what sparks an international sensation and this is no exception. I am here to tell you this isn't the first or the last time neighbors are going to say terrible things to each other via an anonymous note. And seeing the fundraising now (vacations? Seriously????) I'm not about to let myself get sucked up into the frenzy and will sleep fine at night saying "I don't care about this at all".

I think it's great that the neighbours are fundraising to send this family on a vacation, or to use the money otherwise. After all, the mom is battling MS, and that is no picnic. The neighbours would know this family personally - why not do something nice for them.

While I don't plan to donate to the cause myself, I can tell you that if it was my neighbour going through this, I'd go to the party, and I'd give generously. It's what you do for friends and community.

Plenty of Canadians, no matter what age, just don't know how to spell - and the writer of this letter hardly strikes me as particularly intelligent. I don't think the dropped u in neighbourhood really points to anything beyond that.

What singsingsing said is sadly true...and a lot of Canadians just spell things the American way anyway. We're bombarded with American spellings everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Ruth has mostly dropped off the radar here, but I just wanted to post that it appears Vyckie (and Libby Anne) have both finally removed Razing Ruth from their lists of Survivor Blogs. I guess the evidence was finally enough to convince them.

I know Ruth has mostly dropped off the radar here, but I just wanted to post that it appears Vyckie (and Libby Anne) have both finally removed Razing Ruth from their lists of Survivor Blogs. I guess the evidence was finally enough to convince them.

I still see it on No Longer Quivering, under NLQ Voices: patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/stories/razingruth/

I still see it on No Longer Quivering, under NLQ Voices: patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/stories/razingruth/

Ah. I was looking under "Spiritual Abuse Survivor Blogs Network" since I thought that was where I had seen it previously. Too bad :( I thought maybe Vyckie came to her (possibly impaired) senses.

Vycki doesn't need any convincing. She has known that RR was fake for at least as long as it's been part of the collective FJ consciousness. She just is far too arrogant to admit she made a stuff up, especially as she was the one who added a level of credibility to the RR story.

Calulu has posted comments in the TAR site- nothing admitting they were wrong admittedly, but some of them are fairly neutral and just contributing to the general discussion-so she's obviously read there. There's absolutely no excuses for either of them, IMO.

I'm always bothered when I hear stories about people who do this to their kids. It makes it harder for people who r ligitamy trying to raise money for charity.

Out of curiosity, I was looking up the letter that was sent to the autistic family to see if anything new has happened in the case, but it doesn't seem anyone is reporting anything anymore, I find that odd.

Out of curiosity, I was looking up the letter that was sent to the autistic family to see if anything new has happened in the case, but it doesn't seem anyone is reporting anything anymore, I find that odd.

I think it probably just became "yesterdays news". I haven't heard anymore about it around here either.

• 1 year later...
What on earth is this?

raisingruth.weebly.com/

dunno, i'm getting a 404

hmmm, interesting. wonder who's trying to come out of the woodworks to defend her after all this time?

hmmm, interesting. wonder who's trying to come out of the woodworks to defend her after all this time?

It's from 2013.

It's from 2013.

ah, i did not see the date (my screen is too small :P ). still, is that the only post? like, really? cuz the old blog had tons and tons of shit in it detailing the reasoning behind razing ruth being what's her face, so was this a one and done, i wonder? lol

The site is working fine for me - no error messages although the links are to defunct sites. I saw it was old but couldn't find mention of it on FJ.

Archived