IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

I'm in Canada.

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I just found it interesting that your experience was the complete (or nearly complete) opposite to mine.

You were definitely right in that the children who come from upper or upper-middle class backgrounds have a vastly different set of unacceptable behaviours than children who come from lower or lower-middle class backgrounds. Here, though, you can't tell who falls into which category based on name alone.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wanted (facetiously) to do an experiment: name twins "Diablo" and "Jesus" (pronounced in the Spanish way). Just to see how, if at all, they are treated differently based on their names alone.

Someone I used to have on my Facebook ages ago named her son Kydyn. I'd never heard it before, and I still find it really odd.

Interesting. Of the names you've mentioned, I've taught a Tristan, an Oliver and two Jades.

My Tristan was lazy. Capable, but lazy. His home life was not good. His step-father was in jail and his mother was open about the fact that she couldn't control him, so she didn't try. He was caught having sex with his girlfriend in one of the bathrooms at school and eventually dropped out to sell drugs.

The Oliver I taught was high-functioning ASD, so some of his behaviours were understandable, but not all of them, IMO. He would have needed to learn the inappropriate words he was saying from somewhere - my guess is home. Teaching him sexual health was...interesting. He did come to school well fed and appropriately dressed.

Now, the two Jades that I taught couldn't have been more different. One was not a good student. She never gave me issues in class, but she also did no work. This is the student who was surprised when she failed my class even though she hadn't handed anything in all term and refused extra help. I believe her words were "I can't believe you'd actually fail me". She dropped out of school and had two children by the time her former classmates graduated. I could never reach her mother for conferences. Notes, phone calls and emails home would go unanswered.

My other Jade is the complete opposite. A hard worker, very intelligent and driven. Never a problem in class. Her parents are very involved and show appropriate concern for her academic and social life. She was probably the top student in her class - if not her grade.

I don't think you can tell anything by a name. I joke that because I'm a teacher, there are names I would never give to my kids - Austin, Brennan and Chessa are examples. But that's not because all children with these names are bad kids. It's because I've had ONE Austin, ONE Brennan and ONE Chessa who gave me such a hard time, the mention of those names brings their faces to my mind.

That's so funny! Three of my easiest and best behaved students were Austin, Brenna, and Chessi. Just goes to show you can't judge base on names alone!

• 3 weeks later...

Austin: I thought the same as you about Tristan. Then I met the one in my younger son's class.

He's actually pretty bright (I still remember the day I discovered that he was the child - apart from the obvious two - who was understanding the numbers involved in this sports trip instead of just jumping around) but when he was in reception (age 4-5) he was the child who Could Not Sit Still and had to be told to behave several times a day. He had what appeared to be a perpetually angry jaw - I'm sure you know what I mean. I would have guessed his name was Bradley or Declan or something similar. I believe he was also the child whose uncle was in prison.

In the last few years he's become focussed, friendly and polite. He's also training at football every moment he's not in school, which has probably helped but doesn't fit with "Tristan" any more than raging five-year-old does.

(Full disclosure: my children are named Oliver and Christopher :-) )

Name trends do vary by ethnicity and class....but those trends are constantly changing, and they are different in different places.

Like I said earlier, I don't relate to discussions about "crazy African American names", because 40-something year old Caribbean-Canadian blacks tend to have really simple, very Anglo names.

There is a general trend for names to move downmarket over time - but also a trend for Asian immigrants to give kids names that are popular among their adult colleagues. As a result, a kid named Tiffany could be the daughter of a stripper....but she could also be the daughter of an Asian professional.

The last Tristan I met was the son of a 19 yr old addict, and I definitely wouldn't think of India and Poppy as status names.

Name trends do vary by ethnicity and class....but those trends are constantly changing, and they are different in different places.

Like I said earlier, I don't relate to discussions about "crazy African American names", because 40-something year old Caribbean-Canadian blacks tend to have really simple, very Anglo names.

There is a general trend for names to move downmarket over time - but also a trend for Asian immigrants to give kids names that are popular among their adult colleagues. As a result, a kid named Tiffany could be the daughter of a stripper....but she could also be the daughter of an Asian professional.

The last Tristan I met was the son of a 19 yr old addict, and I definitely wouldn't think of India and Poppy as status names.

Among recent Asian immigrants, I've also found a lot of really old-fashioned names - have met Eunice, Agnes, Edna, etc. I guess it's the sort of name you can't go wrong with, but it is jarring to read the name "Eunice Suchandsuch" and find you're meeting a 20-year-old.

Among recent Asian immigrants, I've also found a lot of really old-fashioned names - have met Eunice, Agnes, Edna, etc. I guess it's the sort of name you can't go wrong with, but it is jarring to read the name "Eunice Suchandsuch" and find you're meeting a 20-year-old.

Yes! Tons of really old Anglo names. I remember teaching swimming classes with Clement, Clayton and Calvin. I assumed it was the Hong Kong influence, and parents using names that they may have heard from British officials.

Ha, a 20 year old Eunice rented my last apartment from me! The chinese exchange students I hung out with in college all chose to go by older names...like Patty, Eunice, and Betty. I can't understand why they do this. Like Patty's real name was "Ge", very easy to pronounce and whatnot but I guess she thought Patty made her more relatable?

I think it's a splendid name for a cat or hamster, or possibly a boy. I imagine a girl with that name would have a rough time.

My uncle's name is Otis...

The weirdest name I can think of right now is someone who is studying with me whose name is Lemontree. She is really proud of it though.

I always wanted to name my hypothetical children Adrian and Autumn. Since I'm pretty sure I don't want kids, however, I will probably never get the chance to inflict the name Autumn on anyone.

My uncle's name is Otis...

The weirdest name I can think of right now is someone who is studying with me whose name is Lemontree. She is really proud of it though.

I always wanted to name my hypothetical children Adrian and Autumn. Since I'm pretty sure I don't want kids, however, I will probably never get the chance to inflict the name Autumn on anyone.

I have a cousin named Autumn. I love the name!

Hawaiians often give their kids cringe-worthy names. I went to an all native Hawaiian school and there were some shocking names. There was an Abcde, a tequila, and lots of girls named after wines and precious gemstones. Names like precious, treasure, and miracle are popular; as are names that combine the mom and dad's names. I went to school with a girl named gary-ann.

I have to admit that I can be snobby about some names. I would never write someone off based on their name, but I do feel a bit judgy towards the parents. I just don't understand the thought process that goes into choosing a name like tequila for your daughter.

I think Autumn, Winter and Summer are all acceptable names. Spring? No. Sorry, Spring. I did have an imaginary friend named Springy-Dog as a kid, though, so maybe okay for a dog's name ;)

(He was a purple poodle with the traditional poodle cut and springs for legs. Also he was French and very ignorant about technology, so whenever I saw something I Springy-Dog didn't understand, I'd ask how it worked. For Springy-Dog's sake, you understand.)

Hawaiians often give their kids cringe-worthy names. I went to an all native Hawaiian school and there were some shocking names. There was an Abcde, a tequila, and lots of girls named after wines and precious gemstones. Names like precious, treasure, and miracle are popular; as are names that combine the mom and dad's names. I went to school with a girl named gary-ann.

I have to admit that I can be snobby about some names. I would never write someone off based on their name, but I do feel a bit judgy towards the parents. I just don't understand the thought process that goes into choosing a name like tequila for your daughter.

Can you provide a source for the names you listed? I have never seen or heard of those names coming from a Hawaiian family. All of the Hawaiians I know tend to have actual Hawaiian names (I am sure there are some, possibly many exceptions but I haven't seen if myself and am interested in seeing your sources). I have seen atrocious names all over Hawaii but I have never run across a Hawaiian family with a child named Abcde or Tequila. There are many, many ridiculous names all over the Hawaiian Islands but I am having trouble reconciling those names with the Hawaiians I know/have met.

Can you provide a source for the names you listed? I have never seen or heard of those names coming from a Hawaiian family. All of the Hawaiians I know tend to have actual Hawaiian names (I am sure there are some, possibly many exceptions but I haven't seen if myself and am interested in seeing your sources). I have seen atrocious names all over Hawaii but I have never run across a Hawaiian family with a child named Abcde or Tequila. There are many, many ridiculous names all over the Hawaiian Islands but I am having trouble reconciling those names with the Hawaiians I know/have met.

If you can get your hands on a Kamehameha kapalama campus yearbook from 2001-2005, you'll find these names. I think tequila ended up graduating in 05 at roosevelt, if she graduated. That's the only proof I can supply that doesn't involve mentioning their last names. You must not know many hawaiians if every hawaiian you know has a hawaiian first name. That's the case with less than half of the hundreds of hawaiians I have known. It's more common to have two middle names with one in english, Japanese or Chinese typically, and one in hawaiian. Do you live on the mainland? Mainland hawaiians are more likely to have a hawaiian first names.

Anyway, you don't need to believe me but I have no reason to lie about something I find a bit embarrassing about my own ethic group.

P.S.: my name is armandina. Have you met a hawaiian by this name? Omgzz I must be lying, then!

I never accused you of lying, I was simply wanting to see it for myself. Not every Hawaiian I know has a Hawaiian first name, but most of the ones I know do and I know several that have a non-Hawaiian first name but they prefer to be called a Hawaiian nickname or portion of their name that is Hawaiian. I know that with the large amount of mixed ethnicities here it can be hard for some of us to distinguish those that have a large amount of Hawaiian ancestry from those who only have a teeny tiny bit but still consider themselves mostly Hawaiian when it suits them best. Usually there is no need to make this distinction anyway but I know some people have issues when someone does not appear to be who they say they are. I don't care one way or another what the ethnic makeup is for most people, I see all people as people regardless of identifying features such as gender, ethnicity, phenotypical traits, etc. I have lived in Hawaii for a large portion of my life.

Nice way to showcase the aloha spirit though with your choice of words at the end.

I never accused you of lying, I was simply wanting to see it for myself. Not every Hawaiian I know has a Hawaiian first name, but most of the ones I know do and I know several that have a non-Hawaiian first name but they prefer to be called a Hawaiian nickname or portion of their name that is Hawaiian. I know that with the large amount of mixed ethnicities here it can be hard for some of us to distinguish those that have a large amount of Hawaiian ancestry from those who only have a teeny tiny bit but still consider themselves mostly Hawaiian when it suits them best. Usually there is no need to make this distinction anyway but I know some people have issues when someone does not appear to be who they say they are. I don't care one way or another what the ethnic makeup is for most people, I see all people as people regardless of identifying features such as gender, ethnicity, phenotypical traits, etc. I have lived in Hawaii for a large portion of my life.

Nice way to showcase the aloha spirit though with your choice of words at the end.

I don't need to showcase my aloha spirit to please haole people. Hawaiian people don't exist for that purpose. Your tone was rude straight out of the gate and while you didn't explicitly say that I was lying, you strongly implied it. And you were pretty ridiculous because how would I provide links that didn't reveal their last names?

And I have no idea what your whole racial spiel was trying to accomplish.

Is it strange that I quite like the name Tequila? If you don't think about the drink, it's quite a cute and lively sounding name.

A girl I used to work with named her baby Summer - which would have made more sense if she hadn't been born in December. Mind you, she was lovely and a bit surreal, once showing up to work with two different kinds of shoes on (a pump on one foot, a high heel on another "I wondered why I was walking funny!"), and once phoned into work with the excuse "I can't come in today, I urgently need to castrate my dog." :lol:

Yoni?! You have got to be kidding. Do the parents...know?

Anyway, last night I babysat a Brinley and a McKenna, but you win.

Yoni?! You have got to be kidding. Do the parents...know?

Anyway, last night I babysat a Brinley and a McKenna, but you win.

I just had to Google Yoni to see what it meant, so it's quite possible that the parents didn't know. Then again, most modern parents should take the precaution of doing a quick internet search before committing to a name to make sure it has no other meanings.

Is it strange that I quite like the name Tequila? If you don't think about the drink, it's quite a cute and lively sounding name.

A girl I used to work with named her baby Summer - which would have made more sense if she hadn't been born in December. Mind you, she was lovely and a bit surreal, once showing up to work with two different kinds of shoes on (a pump on one foot, a high heel on another "I wondered why I was walking funny!"), and once phoned into work with the excuse "I can't come in today, I urgently need to castrate my dog." :lol:

Haha your former coworker sounds like a character! At least she was honest, though! Summer is a decent name, just not my style. But it's lovely on the right girl/woman, I think.

I get what you mean about tequila, if you were purely thinking of the sound of the name. My Mexican great grandmother had a sister who I met when I was a little girl, and her name was margarita, with the dramatic Spanish pronunciation. I thought it sounded so cool and fun when I was little, but I didn't know it's also the name of the alcoholic beverage. I know it's a totally legitimate name but I couldn't name my daughter that since she would definitely be teased for it, and it's also not my preference. But yes, I get what you mean!

I like Ethan, Caleb, Otis, Owen and Eli, but husband calls them "swamp dweller" names. Do they have low class conotations in the UK or US (husband is British). Here they're pretty common but not paticularly trashy.

The rest are fine, but Otis is definitely considered trashy in my part of the States (northeast). It's right up there with "Bubba" as a caricature of a Southern man's name.

Here Otis would be something hipster parents would name their son, or possibly their daughter. Trailer dwellers tend to go with names like Jayden (and his brothers Kayden, Braedyn, etc), Isaiah, or Xxavier (the more kreatively spelled, the better) for boys, and Britnee, Kaighleigh, or Kylyyne for girls (extra points for kreatyve use of extraneous x,y, or z.) You also can't go wrong with double e or I endings. (Brandee, Britni) Lest I come off like a complete snob, my stepdaughter has one of the names I mentioned. Of course, my daughter has a 90 year old lady's name, so I don't have room to talk.

Archived