IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

I am a longtime attendee of a large regional science fiction convention. Yesterday, another member posted in the con's Facebook community looking for someone with hotel room space for himself, his partner, and their son Atreyu. Nerd names: also a thing.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My nieces and nephew's weird names have been mentioned here before, but it's worth a recap:

Early Thunder

Breath Mielike Dawn

Shahada Midnight Sun

Odea Maeve Abgail Isaias Alamaya

My nieces and nephew's weird names have been mentioned here before, but it's worth a recap:

Early Thunder

Breath Mielike Dawn

Shahada Midnight Sun

I guess she could always go by Maeve or Abigail if she wanted to?

Totes, you might as well call them "I Like The Drink".

Sorry, hadn't seen your previous post (about your cousin). What you posted now is what I meant... it's calling twins with wine names that's bizarre, IMO. I didn't mean to be rude.

Hywelis

Hold up. Did someone in France (or a Francophone country) name their kid after REDWALL??

My favorite French WTF names are the English-language imports with hilarious pronunciations-- I've met/heard about a Justin (zhoo-stan), Jessica (zheh-see-cah), and several Kevins (keh-VEEN).

It is a name invented by Brian Jacques? I thought it was Italian. Wow, I must speak to the child's parents. Redwall is not very known book.

Oh my God, and you don't know the English-names-with-a-special-spellings : Djoullian for Julian, Djaïzon for Jason (because there is two pronunciations of Julian/Jason and all the English names : the french pronunciation and the Enlish pronunciation.). It's just... Well. Very... telling about the parents...

In WTF names there is the names of my children roomates. The first is Philéas, the real name of :

. Okay, rare but just old. the second is Alixandre. Because she loved Alix and Alexandre.

It is a name invented by Brian Jacques? I thought it was Italian. Wow, I must speak to the child's parents. Redwall is not very known book.

Oh my God, and you don't know the English-names-with-a-special-spellings : Djoullian for Julian, Djaïzon for Jason (because there is two pronunciations of Julian/Jason and all the English names : the french pronunciation and the Enlish pronunciation.). It's just... Well. Very... telling about the parents...

In WTF names there is the names of my children roomates. The first is Philéas, the real name of :

. Okay, rare but just old. the second is Alixandre. Because she loved Alix and Alexandre.

Googling "Mattimeo" or even "Mattimeo name" turns up only the book. It doesn't appear on the US name list (names given to 5 or more kids per year.) Behindthename.com says it was a Brian Jacques creation. Granted, I couldn't find conclusive Italian data, but this is good enough for me. It's the title of one of the earlier Redwall books, about the son of Matthias (full name: Matthias Methuselah Mortimer) but Mattimeo was his nickname.

It's kind of a cute name, I suppose. Besides, if he were English-speaking, he could go by Matt or Tim; don't know if he could use any common French nicknames (it's not my first language, obviously.)

What I really came here to post, though, was a list of potential baby names I found on another website.

media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/55/62/e9/5562e9941cc62051b4a4e34aadcd0f4a.jpg

(A young, pregnant, blonde, country-chic-looking woman standing in front of a chalkboard with potential names written on it)

Taylee [crossed out]

McKarty [crossed out]

Nayvie [crossed out]

Maylee [crossed out]

Lakynn [circled]

:wtf:

I found out she's a Mormon mommy blogger, and other names they had considered for Lakynn include Taigley and Nykee (perhaps they rejected it because it's code for "defrauding" in some circles.) :lol:

Early Thunder

Breath Mielike Dawn

Shahada Midnight Sun

There are people who use the bolded to refer to gas passed first thing in the morning. Is this maybe not as common as I think it is, or are his/her parents absolutely insane?

There are people who use the bolded to refer to gas passed first thing in the morning. Is this maybe not as common as I think it is, or are his/her parents absolutely insane?

He was named that because he was born early during a prairie thunderstorm. And Shahada was named because she was born on the night of the Winter Solstice, which makes no sense because that's the last time you'd ever see midnight sun.

As for the person who posted about Odea, I don't think her names are all that weird so much as she has five of them!

I still have to giggle when I remember a man I once met while working at a law office - Attorney McNaughty.

ETA: "Grey's Anatomy" was HUGE at the time. I don't watch it, but the other girls at the office were laughing for days that this guy was a secret character since there is also a McDreamy and a McSteamy. :lol:

ETA 2: OH and there was also an Attorney Mustafa M. Mustafa. I always wondered if his middle initial was an "M" because his middle name was also, in fact, Mustafa. Creative.

Your second addendum made me think of a novel I enjoyed as a kid called The Sisters Impossible. The antagonist is a snotty ballerina named Meredith Meredith. The younger of the two protagonists sees Meredith's monogrammed totebag at some point, and it reads "MMM."

Horrible names are not just a fundie thing, I know a set of twins Penn & Pencil (called Cilla), a Joushua, a Sahara-Lynn, a Phaedra, an Elmo and an Ossifer. The only really cringing fundie name I know is Charity Chastity Lastname

What's wrong with Phaedra? It's not super-common, but it's a real name (know more than one person with it) and it comes from a character from Greek mythology.

I also know a couple of Phaedras, and I think it's a lovely name.

Chardonnay, Sherry, Brandy, Chablis, Jameson, etc., on the other hand? Tacky. And trashy.

Reading thing makes me glad my parents were boring and gave me the most popular baby girl name of the year. I graduated with 3 other Jennifers in a class of 200. One of them even has the same middle name and last initial. My class also had 6 Sarahs, which was the #5 name for girls that year.

I don't think anyone had an outrageous name. Maybe we just lived a a boring area.

I'd be glad too. And besides there are plenty of plain-named individuals who are extraordinary and unique in their actions. Naming a kid a weird name won't necessarily make them cool or different in their lives.Seems sort of...shallow.

What's wrong with Phaedra? It's not super-common, but it's a real name (know more than one person with it) and it comes from a character from Greek mythology.

I think Phaedra's a gorgeous name, and she'd have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYWLRZZXapc. How many kids can say that?

OTOH, there's that whole falling in love with her stepson and then trying to kill him with a seamonster bit.

Googling "Mattimeo" or even "Mattimeo name" turns up only the book. It doesn't appear on the US name list (names given to 5 or more kids per year.) Behindthename.com says it was a Brian Jacques creation. Granted, I couldn't find conclusive Italian data, but this is good enough for me. It's the title of one of the earlier Redwall books, about the son of Matthias (full name: Matthias Methuselah Mortimer) but Mattimeo was his nickname.

It's kind of a cute name, I suppose. Besides, if he were English-speaking, he could go by Matt or Tim; don't know if he could use any common French nicknames (it's not my first language, obviously.)

Yes, I read this book (I loves/love Redwall, I was so sad when Brian Jacques died :cry: ), but for me "Mattimeo" sounded like an Italian name, perhaps because Mathéo is very trendy here. We must be optimisti c: they have not called their son Dugudule ! Here, the names are a little different : there is Mathieu, father of Mattimeo, father of Martin, also called Marteo. And, of course Martin the Warrio !

In France, the names don't have a nickname assigned as in America, and nicknames are used only with friends or family. I guess they call it Mat or Timéo, which is a very trendy name also (and very :roll: ... after 7 years of Latin, Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes ...)

ETA 2: OH and there was also an Attorney Mustafa M. Mustafa. I always wondered if his middle initial was an "M" because his middle name was also, in fact, Mustafa. Creative.

More likely to be (one of the half-dozen variants of) Mohammed, surely?

(mind you, Mustafa apparently means "the Chosen One" which refers to Mohammed, so the concept remains)

Brandy and Sherry are super common in my town. I can think of at least two of each.

There's an Omega (boy) who goes to my kid's school. Also Kenadie (girl), Raiden (boy), and Kaysen (girl).

My cousin's wife is due in September. Their top name right now: Messerschmitt. I can't even.

I found this blog post interesting:

http://zoetropic.wordpress.com/2011/05/ ... an-babies/

IMHO, I'd rather deal with a bunch of unusual names than the German baby naming bureaucracy. FWIW, I know perfectly normal people with names on the banned list. We have friends and relatives who are named Ronit and Micha, and Noah ben Abraham was the name of my late nephew.

I think Phaedra's a gorgeous name, and she'd have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYWLRZZXapc. How many kids can say that?

OTOH, there's that whole falling in love with her stepson and then trying to kill him with a seamonster bit.

I love that name; it reminds me of Phaedrus, in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

Celebrity offspring:

Sage Moonblood, Pilot Inspektor, Rumor, Tu (last name: Morrow), Audio Science, Prince Michael, Jermajesty, Apple, Denim, Speck Wildhorse, Pirate, Camera, Harley Quinn, Kyd, Buddy Bear, Poppy Honey, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Daisy Boo, Diva Thin Muffin, Dweezil, Moon Unit, Hero, North (last name: West), Poet, Jagger

In the non-celebrity world: Seven, Sparkal, Alycesaundra, Ryder, Krate, Diamond, Braylee (may seem normal, but all I can think of is a donkey), Kragen, Karrigan, Brendan (girl), Klowie (Chloe), Samanda, Jinx, Genesis, Donathan, Neveah (has been popular, but is just so out there I had to mention it), Braxton (county in my state...rather rural and poor county), Bentley, Lexus Mercedes, and probably more, but those are what I can recall so far.

Archived