IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

My cousin's wife is due in September. Their top name right now: Messerschmitt. I can't even.

You know some truly special people. Are they thinking of Boeing for a middle name?

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Customer of the day: Oberon.

Was he with Titania? ;)

I always thought it was funny that the reader doesn't learn Ginny Weasley's full name (Ginevra) until the beginning of the very last Harry Potter book. So many unique and unusual names in the series, and Ginny's is kept under wraps until practically the last minute.

I've heard of: L-a 'The dash ain't silent!'

I've taught I variation of this; L-ia. Pronounced Ledashia. We keep a book at school of the worst and this is one of the highlights. The twins Robert & Bobby are also worth a mention. They might be normal names but seriously ... ? (People did try to explain to the mother but she didn't believe it was the same name.)

I've taught I variation of this; L-ia. Pronounced Ledashia. We keep a book at school of the worst and this is one of the highlights. The twins Robert & Bobby are also worth a mention. They might be normal names but seriously ... ? (People did try to explain to the mother but she didn't believe it was the same name.)

Really though? http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

Was he with Titania? ;)

I always thought it was funny that the reader doesn't learn Ginny Weasley's full name (Ginevra) until the beginning of the very last Harry Potter book. So many unique and unusual names in the series, and Ginny's is kept under wraps until practically the last minute.

I know, and I really like the name Ginevra!

My husband's best friend is named Elmo. I suppose I might have thought it was unusual when I first met him because of the muppet on Sesame Street, but at this point I've known him for so long that I don't even think about it anymore. It's a name that suits him perfectly. I wonder if that name's frequency spiked or tanked when Elmo the monster took off. When was that, the 90s or so?

Well my student was white, blonde haired, blue eyed, born in 1996/7 in Australia. I can drag out a year book with a photo if people need proof.

Looking back, it is not possible that it actually appears on her birth certificate like that. Australia has rules about what your legal name can be. My daughter has a Chinese name and, as is common in Chinese names, it has two parts. My first thought was to spell it the same as the person she was named after Ab-cd but was told that it either had to be one word Abcd" or the c had to be a capital, "Ab-Cd". We chose the former.

L-ia would run into the same problem. The law does say though that although there are rules about legal names, you can call yourself whatever you like. Now you have got me wondering what her legal name was. (I don't do classroom work so I never see things like rolls and records.)

Two Maddisyns on the episode of Toddlers and Tiaras on right now...

Probably should avoid naming a child about 90% of the names on that show.

Two Maddisyns on the episode of Toddlers and Tiaras on right now...

Probably should avoid naming a child about 90% of the names on that show.

I am partial to Alaska and Sryniti or whatever the hell that Pentecostal girl's name was.

Dropping in from lurkdom to say a few days ago I was at a gas station and the cashier behind the counter had a nametag that said "Malibu."

Are there nicknames for that?

I've also known/heard:

Cherry Merry _last name_

Tony Anthony

Tamara Kamera (first and last names rhymed)

and a lot of my ex-classmates who had babies in or shortly after high school gave them Toddlers and Tiaras-esque names.

For example,

Aaleahya (pronounced like Aaliyah the singer...I think.)

Bintlee (Bentley?)

Brynnley

Aerick

Saydee

can't forget about the multitudes of Aden/Braden/Cadens...

I was a gate agent for an airline for 12 years and saw some crazy things like

Mary Christmas

Candy Cane

Philip Phillips (several times)

William Williams

Candy Licker

Abdul Abcde (still don't understand that one, and yes it was on his ID that way)

John Johnson

Dick Bender

Sparkle (sadly a quite common name)

Worthing Haights

Danger &Caution (boy/girl) twins

Syriniti or whatever should be Serenity. Just another mom trying to make her average kid yuneek.

I went to high school with a girl named Serene. Nothing too weird about that, except that she was a motormouth and when a teacher once asked her why she couldn't be more like her name, she had to ask him what it meant. This was in 10th grade. I can't imagine getting that far in school without knowing the definition of "serene," but especially if it was my name!

"Paityn". At least i think that was the uneek spelling for Payton on T&T (she wasn't a featured girl but won a title, iirc)

I was snooping on Pioneer Woman's blog and she has an entry on a friend who gave birth to Analyse.

Is it meant to be Annelise do you think? I hope she does not grow up to be a scientist :lol:

Dropping in from lurkdom to say a few days ago I was at a gas station and the cashier behind the counter had a nametag that said "Malibu."

Are there nicknames for that?

I've also known/heard:

Cherry Merry _last name_

Tony Anthony

Tamara Kamera (first and last names rhymed)

and a lot of my ex-classmates who had babies in or shortly after high school gave them Toddlers and Tiaras-esque names.

For example,

Aaleahya (pronounced like Aaliyah the singer...I think.)

Bintlee (Bentley?)

Brynnley

Aerick

Saydee

can't forget about the multitudes of Aden/Braden/Cadens...

Bintlee?Sounds like they got the name from Bentley on Teen Mom and spelled it the way Maci pronounces it.:-)

When I started school I didn't know there was any other way to spell my name other than the biblical spelling.I remember my kindergarten teacher asking "is that Sarah with an 'h' ?"My reply "No, it's spelled with an 's'."As soon as the teacher gave me a dirty look and a few kids started snickering I got it.lol

Even the simplest names can cause problems.

It's actually Saryniti (looked it up). Other wonderful Toddler and Tiaras names:

Giavanna

Alycesaundra

Aishlynn

Sparkal (poor girl not only has a stripper's name, but people are going to wonder if her parents were illiterate as well)

Maddox

Cruz

Angelle (who's mom claims it is French for Angel...it's not. And she was an adorable 3yo, but clearly did not want to be in the pageants at all)

Daylee (Daylee news?)

Story

Meadow

Sibly

Paisley

Balen

Truth

Queen

Maverick

Brystol (And they couldn't spell it Bristol because...?)

Alaska (doesn't bother me since I did gymnastics once with a girl named Nevada. Different, but not bad)

Penny Lane (kind of cute in a cliche song way)

I was snooping on Pioneer Woman's blog and she has an entry on a friend who gave birth to Analyse.

Is it meant to be Annelise do you think? I hope she does not grow up to be a scientist :lol:

Wow, that's an extra speshul misspelling. It's kind of like the reverse of a fundie virtue name, isn't it? :lol: "Here is Obedience, Patience, Justice, Hope, and...Analyse? What? We don't want wimminz doing that!"

Edited because I can spell "misspell".

That made me think of my name Elyse. It's spelled with the y because my mom thought with an I would be called Elsie...unfortunately people don't know what to do with Elyse and I get all types of variations in spelling and pronunciation. My moms name is Debranne. Most people think it's pronounced like De Brain...but it's not It's Debra Anne, unfortunately my grandparents obviously didn't know what a hyphen is.

It used to bother me when people would misspell my name or not pronounce it correctly but now I've just gotten used to spelling out everything including my address it doesn't bother me at all. It makes me laugh when people struggle with my last name since it's spelled exactly how it sounds but they assume since my first name is spelled weird my last name must be too.

It's one of the main reasons I am so adamant my kids will have boring normal spelled names. My name doesn't make me who I am, it's my personality and the experiences I've had that makes me who they are. I wish people would understand that. Just because there are three Michaels in a classroom doesn't mean they are all the same person. End rant...

I'm convinced whatever your name is people will find a way to mess it up. My father is a junior. He and my grandfather have the simplest shortest English language name of anybody I've ever known but people still find a way to mess it up. I once damn near had a panic attack trying to visit my father at the hospital because the woman at the admissions desk kept telling me he wasn't there when I asked what room he was in. I started to think he had died until she admitted she wasn't entering his name into the computer like I asked her to. I verbally gave her his name then wrote it down but she kept trying to make it more complicated. It wasn't until I said some stuff that probably could've gotten me in trouble with security that she entered it correctly then her face turned red. She refused to talk to me but she wrote his room number on a piece of paper and I was finally able to see him.

Whether people want to give their children traditional, trendy, or unique names I try not to be too judgmental but they do need to realize that their children need to live with these names. A few people in my family got stuck with passive aggressive names. My little sister has standard feminine version of our father's name. I was named after his mother so he wanted her named after his father. A few months after she was born a cousin of mine also had a daughter. She complained that she thought the name was pretty but felt she couldn't give it to her daughter so instead her daughter got a unique name that basically creatively spelled my sister's name and mashed it up with the name of a country. The country isn't even part of her heritage but my cousin likes to sigh a lot when claiming she couldn't give her daughter the name she never let anybody know she wanted to until my sister was born.

Something similar happened on my mom's side of the family. My grandfather named my mother after his favorite song. Years later my maternal grandma's little sister had a daughter and gave her a name similar to my mom's. Decades later she still likes to act like my grandmother stole the name nobody knew she loved so her poor daughter has to go through life knowing her mother named her out of bitterness and not love.

I'm currently in a service chat with someone from Comcast who claims to be named Lovely Katrina.

That made me think of my name Elyse. It's spelled with the y because my mom thought with an I would be called Elsie...unfortunately people don't know what to do with Elyse and I get all types of variations in spelling and pronunciation. My moms name is Debranne. Most people think it's pronounced like De Brain...but it's not It's Debra Anne, unfortunately my grandparents obviously didn't know what a hyphen is.

It used to bother me when people would misspell my name or not pronounce it correctly but now I've just gotten used to spelling out everything including my address it doesn't bother me at all. It makes me laugh when people struggle with my last name since it's spelled exactly how it sounds but they assume since my first name is spelled weird my last name must be too.

It's one of the main reasons I am so adamant my kids will have boring normal spelled names. My name doesn't make me who I am, it's my personality and the experiences I've had that makes me who they are. I wish people would understand that. Just because there are three Michaels in a classroom doesn't mean they are all the same person. End rant...

I honestly did not know there was another way to spell Elyse. Unless it was kreative? Very pretty name. To me THAT is normal spelled. :lol:

Archived