IGNORED

All things Razing Ruth

razingruth

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you the best of luck, Ruth/Mary! You certainly deserve it.

I made a wrong turn today. I am stopping in cheyanne and then taking 80.

When you get there be sure to follow the 50 billion signs to the Little America (in Cheyenne) and get an ice cream cone (I think it's up to 50 cents now). It's cheap, and a fun thing to do on the road :-D. When I was little we always stopped at Little America (the random one in the middle of no where) and got ice cream and fudge.

I also have excellent work attire in like-new condition that I'd be happy to send over - sizing ranges from 4-8, but the 8s are like 6s. All-weather light wool suits, pencil skirts, etc. Let me know if it might be of interest and I'll happily arrange a shipment :mrgreen: Good luck with the drive!!!

ETA: I know this is going to sound a little wacko, but I highly recommend checking out Forever 21 (of all places, I know) for professional attire. Their blazers are around $20 each and hold up really well; they're also stylish and modern. They have excellent skirts that hit the knee from between $10-$15. I've gone to all sorts of ultra-fancy work things dressed head to toe in Forever 21 and looked better (and more professional!) than anyone else in the room, and the entire outfit set me back $30 :) I swear by it now.

Another thing to look at is JC Penny's Worthington line. It's targeted at young professionals and is reasonably priced (especially when you pick it up on sale or clearance). I also like to hit up Express when they do the bi-yearly sale (which should be now, or very soon, if it didn't pass already. It's owned by the same company as Victoria Secret so the semi-annual sales are the same time). You can get a lot of good professional stuff for a good price.

Another thing, believe it or not, is Old Navy occasionally has some good pants and blouses for sale that are professional dress.

One last place I'll recommend is H&M. Their stuff is really well priced. And cute and stylish too.

I am terrified actually. I was pretty close to a tornado today. Car windshield got cracked and I am waiting for the repair place to call. Under tornado warning. Nebraska. Who knew it was so twister friendly?

Are you okay? That sounds like a really scary experience. I hope the rest of your trip goes more smoothly.

I am completely ok physically. Just mentally fried. I had got a late start today and it seems like I couldn't get ahead of things. Big hail and what I thought was a rock kicked up by a truck but it could've been something blown by wind smacked my windshield. While I was waiting at a gas station to see about the window we had to take shelter for a tornado. I am just ready for today to be done.

I'm sorry you're having some challenges on the way. I hope you get to Chicago safely soon.

I thought of you with all those tornados yesterday, I'm glad you're safe, but it must have been scary. Don't feel lonely out there on the prairie, we're all cheering you on. And let us know your clothing size so we can help you out with the wardrobe!

I grew up in Nebraska, and yes very tornado friendly. However outside of Lincoln/Omaha there isn't much for a tornado to hit.

I sent you a couple PM's with info...feel free to call me when you get up here.

I am completely ok physically. Just mentally fried. I had got a late start today and it seems like I couldn't get ahead of things. Big hail and what I thought was a rock kicked up by a truck but it could've been something blown by wind smacked my windshield. While I was waiting at a gas station to see about the window we had to take shelter for a tornado. I am just ready for today to be done.

That sounds very scary. I'm glad you're ok physically, and I'm sending out good thoughts to you.

Keep safe.

Hywelis

Ruth, if you're taking 80, I'm in Iowa, almost literally right off the Interstate as you go through Des Moines. I'm a new poster here, but I've been reading your blog for years. PM me if you need a place to stop. Oh, and because you're from the Western US, let me introduce you to ALDI. 89 cents for a loaf of bread. In my town, at least, it's always cheaper than Wal-Mart.

I was wondering if Ruth has taken anyone up on offers to meet/stay/help in person. It would be neat to hear stories about real-life interactions!

Driving in that kind of wind and hail is flat out terrifying. Fingers crossed that the repairs go quickly and you're cleared for relaunch soon!

Oh, and ALDI prices *are* fantastic and they are in Chicago, too.

I am terrified actually. I was pretty close to a tornado today. Car windshield got cracked and I am waiting for the repair place to call. Under tornado warning. Nebraska. Who knew it was so twister friendly?

How bad was the crack? Usually insurance only covers it if you can cover it up with a dollar bill. Otherwise, i usually head down to wal-mart, buy fix-a-crack and do it myself. I've never gotten a new windshield because I'm kinda of cheap, and the replacement ones aren't usually up to the same quality as the original-they tend to warp a lot (which is called a bulls eye, apparently-a coworker used to work at a windshield plant and because of his stories I will never go with something that isn't approved by the car manufacturer).

Ruth, I'm in England so won't be much use in the way of a place to stay and so on. But I'm glad you seem to be OK and it does my heart good to see how many people on here are so caring towards another human being - and that's just on the internet! You've not had the best experience so far, but all that's going to change. If anyone deserves to be happy it's you. Let us know how your first day goes at the job won't you, if you haven't already started. I know how exciting/stressful it can be at the same time when adjusting to a new work routine. We're all cheering for you!

I am worried about Mary/Ruth. I hope that she checks in soon as there is some nasty weather in the midwest.

I am worried about Mary/Ruth. I hope that she checks in soon as there is some nasty weather in the midwest.

I am actually amazed she has been able to check in as often as she has. I assume she is using her cell phone because there isn't a whole lot of reliable internet access where she's been driving. Hopefully she will get to Chicago and let us know she has arrived safely.

I hope she checks in soon too! Illinois is getting pounded! Stay safe Ruth!

I hope she checked the forecast, saw what was predicted for her path of travel, and is holed up someplace waiting out the storms.

Hi. I am ok. Just frustrated and down in the dumps because everything on this journey has been twice to three times more than anticipated and I have been battling weather for four days. Will get to Chicago tonight if all goes well. Had windshield replaced the other day only to get 50 miles away and have it start shifting and leaking water because, as I found out, the shield was too small and the genius who put it in didn't know what he was doing. It's fixed now but it put me behind. The storms seem to be following me. I am just worn out but I need to regroup tot Monday. Utilities are my next hurdle to get set up. Thank you to the Borden family for the dinner they brought me in the Nebraska KOA. I was feeling very low until you arrived. Figuring out where I was and looking for the California license plate was clever. Thanks to those who have offered their support in anyway. You guys are my family.

Mary/Ruth - you are running into a lot of bad luck, but you are able to do this and it will all be worth it! Just a little more to go and know that we are here for you in whatever way we can help.

Archived