IGNORED

All things Razing Ruth

razingruth

Quick update:

THANKS for the tips. I saw Ellie and said goodbye. I am in st. George Utah tonight. It took about eight hours to get here but I am ahead of schedule and my car did well. It was too hot to camp so I am in a dive hotel. I got one of those styrofoamy Cooler's but the noise it makes (squeak....squeeeeeeeek) is driving me nuts.

I will try craisins tomorrow. :)

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick update:

THANKS for the tips. I saw Ellie and said goodbye. I am in st. George Utah tonight. It took about eight hours to get here but I am ahead of schedule and my car did well. It was too hot to camp so I am in a dive hotel. I got one of those styrofoamy Cooler's but the noise it makes (squeak....squeeeeeeeek) is driving me nuts.

I will try craisins tomorrow. :)

I feel so bad I tried to Pm you. I live in St George. I would be happy to help if I can.

A good combination is diet Coke and craisins (or raisins). You get the caffeine, but the dried fruit soaks up the liquid so you don't have to stop and pee so often. (Gross, but true.)

On the con side, raisins make some people poop a lot more often (and with much a shorter warning) than they would if they didn't eat them. Gross, too, lol, but something to keep in mind.

Hywelis

I live in the Chicagoland area as well (north suburbs) as well. If you have any questions, you may PM me too.

Whoa, first post! (Long time lurker, though)

Congrats on the job and this new chapter in your life. We're all pulling for you.

Go Ruth, Go!

I don't know a lot about roadtrips but I do know a lot about being a research assistant and librarian. PM if you want some advice.

As far as professional clothing goes, just remember you only need enough clothes to get you through a paycheck or two and then once you establish yourself you can add a few thing as needed. Go for stuff you can mix and match . Also layering (cardigans and blazers) is great because you can wear things in different seasons. (also in my experience libraries are usually over air conditioned so it can be 100 degrees outside and the library is about 50)

I love this blog for advice about how to create outfits using a few simple peices http://www.puttingmetogether.com/ she also has a few case studies of building a wardrobe from scratch http://www.puttingmetogether.com/2013/0 ... ophie.html

http://www.puttingmetogether.com/2013/0 ... eanna.html

First time posting, but I've been following your blog for ages. Good luck on the drive. I'm so happy that you have found a new job and are getting a great reset on life!

Hahahahahahahah!!! on the pooping raisins. :) I hope that doesn't happen for you, Ruth! ;)

Glad you are safe and things are going well so far. Keep us informed, we'll be thinking of you.

I am in Colorado. Very tired. Sleeping in car tonight just in case its frowned upon outside of the rocky mountains. :) the sights were awesome today!

Ruth,

Are you comfortable giving us a general idea of your route? I'd be happy to have you stay in my home if you are passing through here. I'm not comfortable posting where I am, but I can send you a message if you are interested.

eta: Never mind...I ran the directions from the Rocky Mountains to Chicago, and I'd be a few hours out of your way. Have a safe trip though!

Mary/Ruth, I don't know what size you are but if you are a 6, I have a few suits that might work for you. They are from before I retired but are classic and shouldn't be out of style. If you are interested PM me. I would be very happy to pass them on to you.

And thanks for the updates, you do realize that most of FreeJinger are traveling with you.

We are all so proud of you, Ruth! Keep it going, my thoughts and prayers are with you all the time. :happy-sunny::text-bravo:

I wanted to suggest something similar, too.

Ruth, maybe you could post your size here (only if you want) so fellow FreeJingerites can search their wardrobes for some suitable outfits that they have outgrown, or bought in the wrong size or don't need anymore etc.

Additionally, maybe there's a fellow FJ'ite in the Chicago area where the clothes could be shipped to and where you could pick it up?

I'd love to help; I live overseas, however. If there's anything I can do, though, let me know.

We're all with you!

I'm in the West Burbs. I'm not sure where in Chicagoland you are headed, but feel free to PM me if I can offer you any insight about the area.

I'm sorry about all you have gone through with your father.

But I'm excited for you and your new job! :dance: Congratulations!

I wanted to suggest something similar, too.

Ruth, maybe you could post your size here (only if you want) so fellow FreeJingerites can search their wardrobes for some suitable outfits that they have outgrown, or bought in the wrong size or don't need anymore etc.

Additionally, maybe there's a fellow FJ'ite in the Chicago area where the clothes could be shipped to and where you could pick it up?

I'd love to help; I live overseas, however. If there's anything I can do, though, let me know.

We're all with you!

I have some simple work-ish skirts and tops in size 12-14 I could send to you.

Good luck, Ruth!

I also have some nicer pants in a size that I need to admit that I probably won't be fitting into in the near future. Unfortunately I think I just donated all my button-down shirts that didn't fit right but I will also check my closet if we can do this. And happy to do it.

Congrats on the new job & welcome to the area! There are plenty of FJ's around here, so let us know if you need anything:)

I also have excellent work attire in like-new condition that I'd be happy to send over - sizing ranges from 4-8, but the 8s are like 6s. All-weather light wool suits, pencil skirts, etc. Let me know if it might be of interest and I'll happily arrange a shipment :mrgreen: Good luck with the drive!!!

ETA: I know this is going to sound a little wacko, but I highly recommend checking out Forever 21 (of all places, I know) for professional attire. Their blazers are around $20 each and hold up really well; they're also stylish and modern. They have excellent skirts that hit the knee from between $10-$15. I've gone to all sorts of ultra-fancy work things dressed head to toe in Forever 21 and looked better (and more professional!) than anyone else in the room, and the entire outfit set me back $30 :) I swear by it now.

Congrats on the new job & welcome to the area! There are plenty of FJ's around here, so let us know if you need anything:)

Is Chicago Ruth's final destination? If so, welcome to Illinois.

I made a wrong turn today. I am stopping in cheyanne and then taking 80.

Go Ruth! One more night on the road.

Archived