IGNORED

All things Razing Ruth

razingruth

Does Ruth/do you already have your living arrangements set up? I would like to help with the utilities when you get that far if you would feel comfotable pming your utility account number to me. Maybe you'll get really lucky and utilities will be included!

Good luck! You're doing great!

Most studio apartments in Chicago come with the utilities included in the rent...some even include basic cable. My one bedroom we pay for gas/electric and those usually total less than $50 a month.

I hope she isn't drowned out...we have got so much rain and the weather is predicted to be fairly cool this week...I don't think it is even supposed to hit 60 today.

I had another thought...If you need furniture try http://groups.freecycle.org/chicagofreecycle/posts/all. It's basically a Craigslist for free stuff....lots of old furniture etc.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, shipping to PO Boxes can be a pain - I live in an odd little town that does not have regular mail delivery, so EVERYBODY has a box. The only upside to this is that if something is shipped UPS or FedEx or something when I didn't know how it was going out so it has my box address on it, they will drop it at the post office and they will look up my box and leave a notice in my box so I get it. But I wouldn't count on a busy post office in a big city to reliably pull that trick off; I wouldn't think they have the time. (They claim that people here LIKE having to go to the post office to get their mail. Yeah, sure, I LOVE paying $35 a year to get a service that was FREE for my entire life up to this point. I would rather pay them to deliver to my door!)

I can't help financially but I am pulling for you, Ruth. And I'm sorry the storms have been chasing you!

Distant Star, if your area does not offer street delivery of mail, then the PO Box is free! You have to ask about it, though, and be able to bring a utility bill or other evidence of residence. I live in a similar area and while some people know about this, plenty others do/did not, and it seems the post office doesn't go out of their way to advertise it. But ask them about it!

Yeah, shipping to PO Boxes can be a pain - I live in an odd little town that does not have regular mail delivery, so EVERYBODY has a box. The only upside to this is that if something is shipped UPS or FedEx or something when I didn't know how it was going out so it has my box address on it, they will drop it at the post office and they will look up my box and leave a notice in my box so I get it. But I wouldn't count on a busy post office in a big city to reliably pull that trick off; I wouldn't think they have the time. (They claim that people here LIKE having to go to the post office to get their mail. Yeah, sure, I LOVE paying $35 a year to get a service that was FREE for my entire life up to this point. I would rather pay them to deliver to my door!)

I can't help financially but I am pulling for you, Ruth. And I'm sorry the storms have been chasing you!

I'm not sure if she is going to be in Chicago proper or the 'burbs, but in the city it's not uncommon to have packages stolen as the carriers typically leave packages in the entryway rather than giving you a pick up slip. It's not a problem in the building I now live in as it is a gated courtyard but I had mail taken on a regular basis in my old building. Someone out there has my Valentine's gift from my DH that is a bracelet with our names engraved on it LOL.

razingruth wrote:

Utilities are my next hurdle to get set up.

It sounds like she has a place to go, but needs utilities.

But I am worried about the place she may have rented. It's very difficult to find a good place when you have to get all your information online from over a thousand miles away. I don't know what her rental history looks like, or her credit score, so she might have only been able to rent a hell-hole. I hope she only signed a month to month agreement instead of a year long lease.

I'm not sure if she is going to be in Chicago proper or the 'burbs, but in the city it's not uncommon to have packages stolen as the carriers typically leave packages in the entryway rather than giving you a pick up slip. It's not a problem in the building I now live in as it is a gated courtyard but I had mail taken on a regular basis in my old building. Someone out there has my Valentine's gift from my DH that is a bracelet with our names engraved on it LOL.

Live in the Chicago area also and can attest to this. We frequently had packages stolen when left in the entryways of our different apartment buildings. It was even a problem in the apartment with the locked outside entry and packages left inside were still taken.

But I am worried about the place she may have rented. It's very difficult to find a good place when you have to get all your information online from over a thousand miles away. I don't know what her rental history looks like, or her credit score, so she might have only been able to rent a hell-hole. I hope she only signed a month to month agreement instead of a year long lease.

A decent apartment in the Chicago area also doesn't come cheap either. I, too, am wondering where she is renting.

ETA: what she may have done is rent a room in a larger home with several boarders. A friend of mine did this when moving cross country from LA area to Boston, and another friend who lived locally did the same when he broke up with his partner because it was the most affordable option for him. IIRC, both did a month to month lease type of thing.

She can get a decent place (I have a friend with a shot credit history and she has a decent little studio). But I think the bottom end I've seen for a studio in an OK to somewhat borderline area (I'm thinking Uptown if she is in the city) is $550-600 p/m).

I'm trying to remember when I moved into my current place, but I don't think I paid a deposit on gas/electric. I pay about $40-$50 a month in utilities...which I think is pretty good but I understand it may be hard for her to swing.

I know that ComEd and People's Gas (the name gives me the lulz) has hardship assistance. I think there are some income standards to meet but she might be able to qualify.

https://www.comed.com/customer-service/ ... fault.aspx

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... ogram.html

Edited for clarity

Yes, but why would she have to set up utilities if she were renting a room in an established home?

My thought too. Sounds like something is lined up, even if it is temporary.

My thought too. Sounds like something is lined up, even if it is temporary.

You're right, I forgot about the utilities :doh:. Both my friends who rented rooms paid towards the utilities in the home with their rent but didn't have to worry about setup. So it sounds like an apartment.

I really shouldn't post before I have my morning cuppa cafeine, lol.

You're right, I forgot about the utilities :doh:. Both my friends who rented rooms paid towards the utilities in the home with their rent but didn't have to worry about setup. So it sounds like an apartment.

I really shouldn't post before I have my morning cuppa cafeine, lol.

Totes ok...I got mine!

I hope she checks in and lets us know if she is ok. If she is up for it maybe us Chicago FJ'ers could get together and have a welcome wagon for Ruth?

Totes ok...I got mine!

I hope she checks in and lets us know if she is ok. If she is up for it maybe us Chicago FJ'ers could get together and have a welcome wagon for Ruth?

If Ruth is up for it, sure I would be willing.

I'm pretty sure you can put any name on a Target List, so you could pick a pseudonym.

Ruth/Mary, I do hope you'll set one up. If you don't want to put the name you register under here, the Target registry computers allow users to search by registry ID number, if that would be more comfortable for you.

For FreeJingerites with a Target debit or credit card, free shipping is one of the perks of your card! Ugh. I sound like an advertisement, but I thought free shipping would be beneficial to those wanting to help.

Ruth/Mary, I wish you luck and success on your new endeavor!

Hi Twin2, your friendly helpmeet here with Mod Hat on to give a little PSA.

First of all, I want to say that the help being offered to Ruth by members in this thread shows the character of FJ in a wonder light (take that fundies!!). Secondly, at this point in time no TOUs have been violated by anyone, but we are starting to get a little close and I want to stop things before we get there.

Rule number 2 in the TOU is as follows:

No spam, no advertising, no self-promoting bullshit. You will be deleted and banned.

No self-promoting bullshit is a snarky way of saying, no solicitation for personal gain. I want to reiterate, this had not happened yet, but.....

Ruth/Mary, I do hope you'll set one up. If you don't want to put the name you register under here, the Target registry computers allow users to search by registry ID number, if that would be more comfortable for you.

If Ruth posts registry information for herself here, then she has in fact violated the TOU. I don't want that to happen. If Ruth decides to set up a registry and send the information to concerned members in silent PM land, that is one thing, posting it openly in the forum is another. If we let one person do it, we have to let others and unfortunately we can't open that can of worms and I'm going to take a legal shot in the dark and say we could have some liability issues as well.

Again, I want to state no one has done anything wrong, I just want to keep it that way.

With that here ends the PSA and I take off my Mod hat and go back to doing what I do best, hounding Dougie.

Carry On!

What I meant - and maybe wasn't clear about - was the problem when I don't know HOW something will be shipped so I don't know if I should give them my street address or my box. And sometimes websites flat-out refuse to even accept a box address. But in a large area I wouldn't necessarily trust UPS or the like to drop a package with a box address on it at the post office at all - around here, they certainly have the time, but in crazy suburbia? Dunno. It certainly is more secure than dropping a box by the door, even though around here that is not a worry of mine.

I will DEFINITELY check with the post office on the free box thing but honestly I know too many people who would have clued me in here locally if they do that. I expect they have some loophole in place to prevent that. :(

Post Office (PO) Box Information

PO Box™ service is a premium service offered for a fee to anyone who requires more than free home delivery or general delivery.

Note: A PO Box may be available for no fee, in specific situations, for those who are not eligible for home delivery.

No information given on what those specific situations are though.

If Ruth is up for it, sure I would be willing.

Ruth willing, I am also game for a Chicago welcome wagon. I am told my chocolate chip - banana muffins are awesome. This isn't me bragging, mind you. Other people said it and I'm just repeating it. Modestly. For informational purposes.

Ruth willing, I am also game for a Chicago welcome wagon. I am told my chocolate chip - banana muffins are awesome. This isn't me bragging, mind you. Other people said it and I'm just repeating it. Modestly. For informational purposes.

Can I catch a flight and pretend to be a local just to get in on the muffins?

So as not to violate the TOU, when you get something set up, Ruth, will you post it on your personal blog? I'm sure we are all familiar with it by now and know where to look.

Can I catch a flight and pretend to be a local just to get in on the muffins?

No need to pretend. Free Jingerites get special dibs.

I don't want to risk violating the TOS here- I depend on this place for friendship. If I set something up, I will put it on my blog. It may be several days before I can do anything of the sort, though.

I am finally in Chicago. I'm not living in Chicago proper- I'm in the burbs. Living in the city would've been too far from the new job and too hard to travel where I need to be. I don't really know what to call what I rented, since I've not seen anything like this before. It's ONE house, an old one, but each floor is it's own place and I have this little apartment that's off the back. I think it used to be a garage. The landlord has the house wired together as one unit and the renters pay a set fee. My little unit is on a separate meter as it's only recently been "converted" for living space. I'm on the same water, but not the same cable, phone, or electric. I also didn't realize that I'll have to buy my own gas. I have my own tank- which is probably better because I can conserve without worrying about freezing everyone else out. I only have about 300-400 square feet. I'm not liking street parking so far. :/ I had to park several houses down. I can tell that this will be a pain during the winter.

I have a lot to do before tomorrow and I'll be pretty busy the next few days, so if I don't post, don't worry. Love and hugs to you all. - Mary Ruth

I don't want to risk violating the TOS here- I depend on this place for friendship. If I set something up, I will put it on my blog. It may be several days before I can do anything of the sort, though.

I am finally in Chicago. I'm not living in Chicago proper- I'm in the burbs. Living in the city would've been too far from the new job and too hard to travel where I need to be. I don't really know what to call what I rented, since I've not seen anything like this before. It's ONE house, an old one, but each floor is it's own place and I have this little apartment that's off the back. I think it used to be a garage. The landlord has the house wired together as one unit and the renters pay a set fee. My little unit is on a separate meter as it's only recently been "converted" for living space. I'm on the same water, but not the same cable, phone, or electric. I also didn't realize that I'll have to buy my own gas. I have my own tank- which is probably better because I can conserve without worrying about freezing everyone else out. I only have about 300-400 square feet. I'm not liking street parking so far. :/ I had to park several houses down. I can tell that this will be a pain during the winter.

I have a lot to do before tomorrow and I'll be pretty busy the next few days, so if I don't post, don't worry. Love and hugs to you all. - Mary Ruth

Thanks for the update, Ruth. Your new accommodation sounds quite similar to my flat actually - it's fairly standard here in the UK for big Victorian houses/semis to be converted into apartments. Like you, in my building the landlord has us hooked up to the same central heating system; it's in the ground floor flat, which is a PITA in winter when the boiler breaks down! But once you're all settled in, it'll soon feel like home. Take care, and home sweet home.

I'm on the same water, but not the same cable, phone, or electric. I also didn't realize that I'll have to buy my own gas. I have my own tank- which is probably better because I can conserve without worrying about freezing everyone else out. - Mary Ruth

Ruth: I don't know how important tv is to you but I have a very good friend in Chicago who gets local channels through an antenna. Not sure how that works but if you are interested I will be happy to get the information from her and pass it along. As for the gas tank, I'm guessing it is a propane tank. Your usage will probably be low in the summer and go up in the winter. I don't know if they will set up budget billing for you like the gas utilities do but I recommend you check into that. It allows you to pay a set fee year round and not get caught with a huge bill when the weather is cold.

Best of luck with the new job, the new home and everything. I hope you are close to public transportation and can use that to go to and from work. That way you won't have to fight for parking every day.

I'm so glad to hear that you are in Chicago safely and getting settled in. I hope and pray that the settling in and the new job go well for you. Keep us posted when you can.

Sounds like a 2 or 3 flat and you are in a converted carriage house..awesome I've always wanted to live in one!

Parking sux hard. In the winter, it is hilarious the different objects people use to place dibs on street parking after digging out of snow...I've seen lawn chairs, coat racks, tables, cornhole games etc.

If you are in the inner burbs like Evanston/Skokie/Oak Park the transit is pretty decent and it might be worth getting a Pace/CTA pass and drive your car only when you have to (like when shopping). I don't own a car mainly b/c I don't want to have to deal with the parking situation, though I think with DH's promotion they might want him to have a car now as a dependable means of transportation when the trains are behind schedule.

Let us know when you settle in, we will have an FJ meet up (and banana chocolate chip muffins!)

Archived