IGNORED

Cleveland Captives & Ariel Castro Suicide - Merge

Flossie

Or Marc Dutroux. It's hard to choose.

Recently, I bought new toothbrushes for myself, husband and the kids. Husband unpacked the shopping, put new toothbrushes in main bathroom and didn't chuck the old ones. We had a BBQ that evening and our friend used that bathroom. He came out laughing calling DH "Fritzl" and has been ever since. Not a nickname I'd like to see stick.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have any of you read Room by Emma Donoghue? That's the first thing that came to mind when I heard this story this morning. It's sickening that this is a reality and not just a novel.

Or The Collector by John Fowles.

I hope these women (and children) are able to get the help that they need. I am so glad that they were found. That's some scary stuff to read about, though.

I knew I'd heard this - I can't find the original site, but Jezebel mentions that when Amanda Berry was first taken, the man who called her mother from her cell phone referred to Amanda as his wife. Make of that what you will I guess. :( link not broker because I don't think they'll care.

jezebel.com/everything-we-know-about-the-three-kidnapped-cleveland-494060670

This story is just amazing, and incredibly lucky that they have survived - makes you wonder about the rest of the people on the missing person's list. I hope that they get some great help and support, they are going to need it.

The 911 call was unbelievable. The operator was so, so callus.

Have any of you read Room by Emma Donoghue? That's the first thing that came to mind when I heard this story this morning. It's sickening that this is a reality and not just a novel.

That's exactly what I thought of too! It is horrifying. And Donoghue researched it very thoroughly -- the issues with sensory perception and so on that the child had are totally plausible. I wonder if the child(ren?) in this situation will suffer in the same way? To have to deal with that on top of everything else...I can't imagine.

Room was one of those books that is both excellent and chillingly horrific. It is one of the few books I've read that continues to haunt me.

When Anderson Cooper interviewed him, AC asked Ramsey if he thought he would get an award and Ramsey said that he thought the money should go to the women.

Charles Ramsey is amazing! I'd love to see the way our fundies would react to him. He is an exemplary human being. Hopefully McDonalds do something very generous for him.

I hope the captor brothers end up in cells full of drug dealers & the guards tip them off about what the brothers did.

Yup, actually I have. I love it when someone mentions a book I have actually read! (Considering I haven't been able to read a book now for almost two years). I read it one year after the Fritzl-case. Fritzl is likely the most evil man alive today.

I've read that book. Didn't the author say in an interview that the book was inspired by Fritzl?

This story is just amazing, and incredibly lucky that they have survived - makes you wonder about the rest of the people on the missing person's list. I hope that they get some great help and support, they are going to need it.

The 911 call was unbelievable. The operator was so, so callus.

I've been thinking of the missing persons list all day, too. I mean, how many other women are there being held alive somewhere?

I would bet this is NOT the only case.

Speaking of books, an excellent (but disturbing) read is So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman. It haunted me for months.

And Charles Ramsey...I love him. I was thinking of where I live and wondering about the men I know...how many of them would have pulled the bro code and called the owner of the house if they heard and saw a woman "acting crazy"? I hope and pray not many, but I fear I might be wrong.

When Anderson Cooper interviewed him, AC asked Ramsey if he thought he would get an award and Ramsey said that he thought the money should go to the women.

Love this guy!

Not a criticism- but why do threads like this get posted in snark? Just curious.

I've read that book. Didn't the author say in an interview that the book was inspired by Fritzl?

She did--although she did clarify that it was in a 'ripped from the headlines/Law and Order episode' sort of way--that the story inspired her to explore it, but that it wasn't intended to be a portrayal of his crimes and life w/ him.

It's a pretty excellent book, I finished it last week and had been telling a friend to read it before this.

Not a criticism- but why do threads like this get posted in snark? Just curious.

So noobs like me can participate! ;)

There aren't many details out as to why these men kidnapped 3 young women and held them for 10 years, but I would suspect there may some kind of patriarchal bullshit attached to it.

Ashley Summers, 17 disappeared from the same neighborhood in 2007. She has not been found yet.

My guess is that current events, while not the "true" topic of this board, are important enough to be put on the board where everyone can participate.

My guess is that current events, while not the "true" topic of this board, are important enough to be put on the board where everyone can participate.

I see!

Heard on today's news that there was initially a fourth girl but she disappeared. Am guessing this is not Ashley Summers as the timing does not work out.

However, cannot find any linkage. I heard a piece on radio in the car this evening that one of the girls had reported a fourth being there when they were first captured. So 2002/03 I'm supposing. Maybe I dreamt it?

Archived