IGNORED

Cleveland Captives & Ariel Castro Suicide - Merge

Flossie

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national ... 55261.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1336639

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22430145

Michele Knight, Gina DeJesus, and Amanda Berry were all discovered to have been held captive in a house in Ohio after at least a decade of captivity.

Knight was kidnapped in 2002 at the age of 20. Berry was kidnapped in 2003 just a day shy of her 17th birthday. DeJesus was kidnapped in 2004 at the age of 14.

Three brothers, aged 50, 52, and 54 have been arrested in connection to the case.

On Monday, 5/6/3013, a neighbor heard a woman screaming for help from the house next door. He went to the front door and found a woman trying to open the screen door. She was begging him to help her escape the house, so he kicked in the screen door and she (Amanda Berry) emerged along with a six year old girl that is said to be her daughter. The man took Berry and the child to his home where she used his cell phone to call 911. At some point she told either the 911 operator or the police that there were other women still in the house. Police came and entered the house, eventually emerging with the other two women (and according to some sources other children were also found in the home).

No more is known at this time.

I suspect that the women were kidnapped by the brothers because they wanted submissive females. It's interesting (in a disgusting way) to note that the women got progressively younger at the age of their kidnapping. Perhaps keeping a 20 year old was a lot of work, so they went for the almost-17 year old. Less than a year later, with two other women to keep captive, a 14 year old middle school girl was taken.

Although I'm not sure just how much information the general public should know, I hope that the full story is documented for investigators and the motives of the kidnappers are fleshed out. Also, the ways the women were kept under control should be known.

I shudder to think what these women and the child/children went through, and what is ahead of them.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2320564/Ariel-Castro-pictured-Suspect-Amanda-Berry-Gina-DeJesus-Michelle-Knight-kidnap-arrested--BROTHERS.html

I know that the Daily Mail isn't very reliable but these article does contain an interesting quote from one of the kidnappers facebook page.

His last post to the social networking site on May 2 says: 'Miracles really do happen, God is good :)'

He also wrote a news article about one of the girl's kidnapping

everyjoe.com/2013/05/06/crime/52-year-old-suspect-ariel-castro-arrested-in-cleveland-abductions/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=52-year-old-suspect-ariel-castro-arrested-in-cleveland-abductions

I live in Cleveland this story is everywhere - rightfully so - right now.

Not sure that the "article written by kidnapper" has been verified yet, last I heard they weren't sure. It has been mentioned (again, not verified) that the primary suspect has a nephew with the same name.

It will be interesting to see what the press report at 9 will bring. Thank (insert deity here) that the neighbor was in the right place at the right time and was able to help. The 911 call is horrific though - the dispatcher didn't bother getting more than the address, told Amanda that a police car would come "when one is available" and hung up before the police got there after trying to get her off the phone before that point. :pink-shock: There's been a bit of an lashout about it, I would be very surprised if that dispatcher has a job at the end of the week.

I'm a Clevelander, too, a West Sider, and I'm reeling at how many times I've driven past that street where they were being held. Never down that street, but it's a cross street to one of the main roads to get to downtown if you're taking "the backroads" instead of the freeway. I drove past it just this past Sunday. When I saw the Yahoo! News headline last night I shouted at my husband, "They found Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus alive!" All too well I remember seeing the signs for the missing girls over the past ten years and hearing news reports about vigils that were being held. The city is ecstatic that they and Michelle were found alive. (From what I've read, Michelle Knight's family assumed that she had runaway instead of being kidnapped, which is why her disappearance wasn't as widely known as the other two.) I keep tearing up as I look for updates.

This is the Cleveland Plain Dealer's main article about what's known so far: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... cart_river#incart_maj-story-1

All last night, the TV stations were replaying their interviews with Charles Ramsey. He's an absolute character, and I couldn't help but think how repulsed most of the fundies we snark on would be at the sight of him (he's swearing up a storm in his 9-1-1 call) and yet, if you believe that God had a hand in saving these women, HE was the one God "chose" to help them.

The entire city - especially the people on that street - want to know how those now women were kept hidden for so long with no one suspecting a thing.

ETA: Here's a link to one of the interviews with Charles Ramsey, which includes a transcript: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... l-was-dead

I also just read an article at newsnet5.com (one of our local stations) from a neighbor on the street who's just gutted that no one ever suspected anything. Those neighbors are carrying a lot of guilt.

This is on the news right now.

Im glad theyve been found alive, their families must be so happy, after all those years of thinking theres no hope.

Im happy for them, so glad they are finally free, it must be terrible being kidnapped for so long

I'm a Clevelander as well - westside. That 911 operator is really getting a lot of backlash, and it seems well deserved.

Honestly though, if there is only the one child, that's slightly horrifying. Three young women over ten years are probably going to have more than one child. I really, really hope that no bodies are found.

When Amanda was taken, I believe her mother got a phone call saying she was safe, she was this man's wife - does anyone else remember that? I keep thinking these men decided to kidnap "wives."

ETA: victim blaming has already started. People are asking why it took them ten years to escape. Can we not blame them for at least the first full day?!

I'm a Clevelander as well - westside. That 911 operator is really getting a lot of backlash, and it seems well deserved.

Honestly though, if there is only the one child, that's slightly horrifying. Three young women over ten years are probably going to have more than one child. I really, really hope that no bodies are found.

When Amanda was taken, I believe her mother got a phone call saying she was safe, she was this man's wife - does anyone else remember that? I keep thinking these men decided to kidnap "wives."

I don't remember that, but per Google did find this timeline from WKYC (another local station): http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/298442 ... e-Timeline - they do mention a phone call, but that the caller said Amanda would be returned soon.

Also from that timeline, I vaguely remember now that psychics were involved trying to find her. Sylvia Browne must have seen her in the bathtub.

ETA: victim blaming has already started. People are asking why it took them ten years to escape. Can we not blame them for at least the first full day?!

Word! I mean, the front door was somehow bolted shut so that it would only open a crack. The neighbor had to BREAK IT DOWN for Amanda to get out. We have no idea what the inside of that house looks like, were they kept drugged, were they chained, etc. As far as I've read, the police are still on scene at the house.

The victim blaming is making me sick. Let's see how some of those people would handle being kidnapped, raped, psychology abused and probably beaten while being kept tied up in a basement. Some people would just give up trying to escape. It is called Learned Helplessness. The fact that the women still had the strength to attempt to escape is amazing.

:laughing-rolling: That interview is a beautiful gift from the heavens.

I'm so relieved that these women were found alive and can now begin to get their lives back. What an amazing story.

Slightly in love with this guy.

That last line... Damn.

I wonder if Amanda Berry finally had the strength to escape because she feared her daughter was in danger of being raped by one of the men.

This story is just so strange.

Omg... the guy who rescued them is priceless. True icing on top of a fabulous cake.

I watched the interview with Charles Ramsey and just started to cry. That man is something else! (In the best way possible - of course.) After all the horrific things that have been going on - he's proof that there is still good in this world.

I can't believe people are blaming the victims. Sure, they *wanted* to be kidnapped for 10 years. :roll:

I'm also hearing a lot of frustration about people not mentioning Michelle as much. I guess her Mom never believed she ran away/disappeared, and was still hoping she'd be released/found. I'm so happy for all of those women. Now I hope that they can get the help they need to move forward in life.

I'm fascinated by these sorts of cases (Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Duggard), and so glad these women are safe now.

I'm morbidly curious to know about what conditions were like for them, but don't want to further victimize them by badgering them for details.

I am so glad they were found. I can't imagine the journey they are about to embark on with recovery, but I wish them the absolute best. My heart breaks for the little girl, captive since birth. I heard Amanda's mother died while she was captive, I so wish she could have seen her child and grandchild, and that Amanda didn't have to add mourning her mother to the pain she is already dealing with. :cry:

And the people who are blaming the women are fucked up beyond belief.

And Mr. Ramsey is an angel, I am so glad he was there at the right time!

It's always shocking when someone gone for so long turns up when they were held against their will. Steven Staynor, Jaycee Duggard, etc. But THREE at one time...that's beyond anything I imagined. That really has to make us rethink what's happening with all of our missing persons. I'm thrilled they are alive and hope they can get some sort of normal and happy lives now.

I'm on the West Side also. My son in law had Gym class with Gina and told us how everyone was questioned at the time. I also head Downtown through that neighborhood.

It seems a few people had a bad feeling about that house, including Charles Ramsey. I watched his interview live and instantly loved him!

Everyone I know is so happy Amanda, Gina and Michelle are free. I've been watching the news and crying.

I felt the need to come out of the shadows for this.

Fuck this "blame the victim" mentality. A quick google search show me that not a single Vietnam era POW successfully escaped their captors. Not one. Do we blame THEM? Trained warriors who surely had the skills and strength (because, you know, they're MEN)? No, we hold them up as heroes. But young girls, barely teenagers, grabbed off the street and held against their will, raped repeatedly and impregnated as a result of those rapes, most likely tortured and brainwashed? Whole different story then. THEIR FAULT! They were out alone, going to school or working when they should have been SAHDs. THEIR FAULT! Must not have been LEGITIMATE rape, because they got pregnant and we KNOW that's not possible unless they wanted it. THEIR FAULT! It sickens me. I'd say their survival instincts were strong and they should be admired for it.

I'd love to hear someone like Patty Hearst sound off on victim blaming. She's a prime example of it, taken to its extreme.

I just can't believe that CNN is taking time away from this story to blather about Governor Christie's lap band surgery.

I hope we get to hear a lot more from Charles Ramsey. They keep calling Amanda Berry a hero, which she is, but she's not the only one in this situation.

He also wrote a news article about one of the girl's kidnapping

everyjoe.com/2013/05/06/crime/52-year-old-suspect-ariel-castro-arrested-in-cleveland-abductions/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=52-year-old-suspect-ariel-castro-arrested-in-cleveland-abductions

I believe I read somewhere that the Ariel Castro who wrote the article was was related to (possibly the son of one of) the three men arrested...and that he was horrified and wanted nothing to do with any of them.

It would be a terrible thing to find out your father and uncles could do such a thing.

I'm, sorry, but the first thing I thought of when finding out that the captors were 3 brothers in their 50s still living together was the Ardnt boys.

(Ok, upon further reading, the brothers weren't all living there together, just one?)

I believe I read somewhere that the Ariel Castro who wrote the article was was related to (possibly the son of one of) the three men arrested...and that he was horrified and wanted nothing to do with any of them.

It would be a terrible thing to find out your father and uncles could do such a thing.

The local news stations are all reporting that yeah, the Ariel Castro who wrote that article was NOT the same Ariel Castro that Amanda named in her 911 call. It was his son, who goes by Anthony: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... cart_river

Have any of you read Room by Emma Donoghue? That's the first thing that came to mind when I heard this story this morning. It's sickening that this is a reality and not just a novel.

Have any of you read Room by Emma Donoghue? That's the first thing that came to mind when I heard this story this morning. It's sickening that this is a reality and not just a novel.

Yup, actually I have. I love it when someone mentions a book I have actually read! (Considering I haven't been able to read a book now for almost two years). I read it one year after the Fritzl-case. Fritzl is likely the most evil man alive today.

Archived