IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

Repeating the fig and roasted sweet potato recipe from Jerusalem, while trying out the shakshuka and the burnt eggplant/garlic/lemon dip with pomegranate seeds.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beef and barley soup with mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and garlic on backup vocals. Bread and garlic dip.

Made an apple crisp. Flavor was good, but I probably sliced the apples too thin because they are practically applesauce in the crisp. Nothing some good vanilla ice cream on top won't cure. Next time I will cut them thicker.

Last night we had pea and mint filled ravioli, with steamed fennel in an oil and lemon dressing.

Tonight, grilled cheese sandwiches with pickled onion, sliced apple, and chopped cress. As an adult, I have discovered the joys of grilled cheese with other stuff in it.

Very jealous!!!

Working the dreaded nightshift and here is my culinary delight!!!!

Two white rolls with butter stuffed with Cheese and Onion crisps :lol:

Crap but good.

We had vege soup made from all of the leftover veggies in the fridge (sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, onion, cabbage, a whole garlic bulb - not cut up, just peeled) cooked all day in the crockpot with a loaf of crusty bread. Main course for my semi-vege kiddos.

Plus a cheeseburger cooked in the George Foreman for me.

I worked all day, so this was just thrown together.

Tonight - roasted brussels sprouts, pasta salad and watermelon for dessert.

The kids and I picked the last of the pears today, so we made a pear bread pudding. Yummy....

Is that like a traditional Bread and Butter pudding? My totally favourite comfort pudding. Followed by Apple Dumpling (suet dumpling.)

My child has requested nachos for dinner and as both her and I have been subjected, I mean lovingly catered for by MR OK for the past two days ...I will honour this request.

Salsa will be homemade, oven baked chillies, shop bought tortilla chips and good old sour cream, cheese is Lake District mature. It's a fairly available via supermarket make but is everything a good everyday very strong and cheddar is required to be (if you are going to pile it on nachos it does not need to be cheese and biscuit cheese standard. Big load of salad. Found 4 lonely stalks of rhubarb in my raised garden. Undecided as to their fate.

Bread pudding is leftover bread with an egg, sugar and milk mixture poured over it. Baked until it is solid. I've added pumpkin pie filling, apples, Whatever sounds good at the time. I wasn't raised eating it, but discovered it as an adult. My kiddos love it.

Tonight we are having stuffed chicken breast, saffron rice, and broccoli. I have the day off, so I can cook a regular meal.

Having a friend over for dinner, cooking out of Jerusalem: shakshouka, roasted sweet potatoes with figs (LOVE), roasted cauliflower, an orange and olive salad.

the wife and I can’t eat carbs and it makes eating hard. so I came up with this pork (boneless ribs this time) I use various penny spices and put some good sauerkraut on them start them roasting slow. fry up some bacon and add some onions then some cabbage and some more spices I only cook the cabbage a little bit then put it on top of the meat and let it cook slowly.

I took frozen cauliflower microwaved it browned some good butter with garlic and stuck it in the food processor with the butter and some cheddar and other cheese and some great chivy penny spices and some cream and wiped it up for a couple of minutes. This stuff is so good and less calories then potatoes too.

null_zpsefae5f94.jpg

Nothing too fancy tonight - I made myself a quesadilla with some of the last of the garden peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and a little pepper jack toasted on a whole wheat tortilla.

Last night was polenta with vegetables. Tonight, ravioli with lightly-dressed steamed carrots. (I'm grading papers and don't have as much time to play around in the kitchen as I'd like.)

Archived