IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Canadian Thanksgiving, y'all! We're roasting a pheasant. It's drying in the fridge after its brining session yesterday. I've made pumpkin pies, regular wheat crust pies, and will take a small instead of a giant piece. I roasted a buttercup squash and a small kabocha pumpkin this year. The buttercup is in the pumpkin pie filling, and the kabocha is going to be made into gnocchi, and also pureed into a soup. Cousin is making an onion and garlic free pumpkin sweet potato soup and I'm so excited for it. She's also making a Waldorf salad. Mr wtylcf is roasting chestnuts for stuffing, which will also have apple and leeks. Apertifs of pumpkin beer, then a nice pinot noir to go with the pheasant. This is my favorite food holiday of the year!

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada! Hope it was a good one. :)

Mince and tatties today - autumn has officially arrived. To be followed by Creamy Savoy Cabbage with bacon and mash, later this week. I love autumn, when I finally get to unpack all the creamy-carb-y Northern European childhood favourites again. Plus all my yummy, spicy Korean childhood favourites. It's winter Kimchi season!!! Excuse me, while I go off to pickle even more stuff. :D :cracking-up:

I am so stinking happy to find this thread!! Sometimes I get in such a food slump and nothing sounds good. I love seeing what other people are making and eating.

Tonight I'm making chili with ground turkey and various beans. The weather is finally perfect for chili.

Leftover Italian-style vegetarian sausage (Field Roast, which is gluten-based but I think soy-free) with peppers and onions on a ciabatta roll.

Greek beef stew. Cubed beef cooked in tomatoes, onions, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, clove, nutmeg and bay leaf. Served over pasta and toped with grated Parmesan. Pure, unadulterated comfort food. :D

Shepherd's pie. Beef and pork with tomatoes, roasted peppers, leeks, carrots, green beans, mustard powder, smoked paprika. Topped with mashed potatoes seasoned with nutmeg and asofoteida powder, asiago and cheddar cheese, and chives. So flavorful! I set aside some portions to freeze before baking. Hopefully that helps ease the "reheated leftovers" issues, since shepherd's pie is all about leftovers.

I made loaded baked potato soup. It's a recipe I have from an old Cooking Light issue. It's pretty simple and comes together quickly after you bake the potatoes. It's also one of the few things I make that regularly tempt me away from vegetarianism because it comes with crumbled bacon on top. Bacon is one of the only meaty things that I want occasionally, but I don't generally have it in the house except if I am making this soup.

It's turning colder where I live finally and I was happy to satisfy my soup craving!

I am eating sage polenta with tex-mex chicken right now. It is kind of a strange combination but I was craving polenta. I cook my polenta and put it in a shallow pan until it cools and jells together, then I cut it in squares, dreg it flour and panfry. It's crispy, gooey and comforting.

I am eating sage polenta with tex-mex chicken right now. It is kind of a strange combination but I was craving polenta. I cook my polenta and put it in a shallow pan until it cools and jells together, then I cut it in squares, dreg it flour and panfry. It's crispy, gooey and comforting.

That polenta sounds delicious!

We had amazing pork chops the other day. Thick cut, I slit them open and stuffed them with fresh apples and a little onion, and baked them with cider and brown sugar.

Amazing.

It's all veggies tonight. I had baby zucchini with their blossoms (from the farmers' market) to use up, so they got a saute in butter with lemon basil and sea salt. I'm also having a salad made with arugula from our garden, plus romaine from the farmers' market, radishes, mushrooms, extra sharp cheddar, peppers from our garden, and Trader Joe's Champagne Vinaigrette.

Edited to add: Woo! I'm finally The Sin in the Camp!

(except I'm sure I'm eating better than anybody attending a Gothard event ever)

I still don't own it ( want it badly), but I tonight I made two recipes from the Jerusalem cookbook. I made Shakshuka (one of my favorites), and then Muhallabia for dessert (one of my boyfriend's favorites). Both were the best recipes I've ever made for either.

Polenta is SO GOOD. I would eat it at least once a week if it didn't take so much stirring, possibly for breakfast. (Both The Partner and I have had off-and-on repetitive stress problems in our arms for years, which has made regular polenta and risotto nights less tenable.)

We went to a friend's house for dinner last night. She made vegan chili and corn pone. We contributed dessert-- baked apples stuffed with almonds, cinnamon, and cherries-- and confectionery. (The Partner made a first attempt at vegan caramels, riffing on Deb Perelman's apple cider gobsmackingly good (but very buttery) caramel recipe. The flavor of the coconut cream, which he subbed for butter, was more of an asset than either of us expected. But it didn't emulsify well with the cider reduction. Lecithin, maybe? I am looking forward to more experiments, especially if I get to help with taste-testing and quality control. :whistle: )

Tonight, we're having simple, quick dinner-- artichoke- and Parmesan-filled ravioli with sauteed peppers.

Lecithin, maybe? I am looking forward to more experiments, especially if I get to help with taste-testing and quality control.
The sacrifices we make to be encouragements to our partners. :lol:

I'm still working my way through Sunday's stew. Tonight was the last serving, and now I have the sadz.

The sacrifices we make to be encouragements to our partners. :lol:

I'm still working my way through Sunday's stew. Tonight was the last serving, and now I have the sadz.

You should see how helpful I am when he's trying out new chocolate truffle recipes!

We wound up going out for late South Indian dinner last night (dosa for him, idli and sambar for a friend who was along with us, pineapple uttapam for me). So I'll cook the ravioli tonight.

Couscous "paella," quick and reliably tasty. (I spent my food prep muscles today on zesting a citron as big as my head, so I can use it to flavor tea for some of the tea drinkers on my Christmas list.)

I made pesto with the last of the basil from the garden - most of it was lemon basil, which actually worked really well. I had whole wheat shells with mine. Then, we had popcorn while watching the World Series.

My roommate and I were super classy and stopped by Sonic before going to the grocery store. Lazy, yo. Tator tots, orange cream slush, and a dr pepper with lime.

I had leftovers from Monday night: I'd made pork (I'd coated it with salt, pepper, thyme, and sage then tossed it in the crockpot), sweet potato fries, Annie's white cheddar shells and cheese, and broccoli & cauliflower.

Sautéed scallions, potatoes, and carrots in 1/2 a cup of olive oil. Added lots of chopped mint and dill. Brought up with about a quarter cup of water, and simmered till potatoes were tender. Added a bag of frozen peas and heated till peas were hot. Serve with lots of bread and feta. More comfort food.

Archived