IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

my version is close I fry the bacon drain some of the grease add water cook the potatoes ( a lot of them to thicken it up) add canned milk and cream salt and pepper mash the spuds some to thicken then add some frozen corn. I like the chicken broth idea. I would add onions but my daughter won't eat them though one time I cooked them then blended them up with the milk. garlic is good or some penzy seasoning mix. I only make for my daughter as I can't eat the carbs or the milk.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baked chicken and Israeli couscous. On a completely unrelated note, this weekend I made butter! Hubby loves premium butter and the store no longer carries the brand he likes. Bought some heavy cream and 15 minutes later...butter. Not at all cost effective but it was fun and almost as good as the premium butter he likes.

Rachel B, I love reading what you had for dinner! Very inspirational in an "I gotta have me some of that" way.

Last night was roasted butternut squash, chickpeas, brown rice and feta with a lemon tahini dressing. Tonight is baked chicken tenders, brown rice and broccolini with leftover tahini dressing.

First, a shout out of thanks to RachelB for her heating pad advice on another thread. It has really helped relax me while I battle a cough. :)

Potatoes, peas, carrots and dill braised in olive oil and some water. Finished with chopped fresh mint off heat.

^

I'm so glad the heating pad helped! I have developed a not-so-welcome winter tradition of bronchitis, and that's the one thing that consistently works for me.

I had pizza with goat cheese and tomato last night, and I'll make pineapple-peanut stew (with lots of mustard greens and tabasco) with couscous for dinner tonight. It is not much to look at but is tasty and filling, and it makes decent leftovers.

I'm making Breakfast For Dinner: Pancakes, sausages, eggs and toast, fruit.

Fiesta Chicken.

3 oz 1/2 Grilled chicken breast with pico de gallo, and a piece of pepper jack cheese melted over the top. 6 Weight Watchers Points, if you're into that sort of thing.

Ravioli filled with winter squash. I'm going to attempt to make a sauce for it using brown butter and beer, riffing on the sauce from this recipe. Past experience suggests that the ravs by themselves are sweeter than we like, and we ate up all the greens in stew, but we have had a unopened bottle of Chimay in the cupboard for we don't know how long. (I have consulted my brother, who Knows Beer, and he said even if it's skunked, it can still be used for cooking.)

*crosses fingers*

Edited to add: So, that was good. An improvement on the ravioli alone.

What I did that wasn't in the recipe: Melt a knob of butter. (1 1/2 Tbsp., maybe?) Add 1/4 tsp. of dry nonfat milk powder and brown it, then add the minced shallot and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir madly. Add the 1/4 c. beer, then add 1/4 tsp. freshly rubbed sage and 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika. (I left out all the other spices, since the pumpkin filling was already plenty sweet.

The Partner said, "Tastes like bacon," which is pretty high praise. :lol:

Inspired by Sparkles's holiday pretzels, I tracked down a soft pretzel recipe and tried it out. It would be faster if we had more than one cookie sheet that will fit in our oven at once, but it is tasty, especially with mustard. I was running low on unbleached flour, so subbed rye flour for 1/4 of the flour I used-- enough to add a little earthiness to the flavor, but not enough to make TP, who doesn't share my fondness for rye, recoil in horror.

Omelets with bell pepper. And because I liked that ale-spiked veggie thing so much and I have some left in a mason jar, I'm going to saute some cabbage with apples and onions in butter, then add some more ale and drop it to a gentle simmer until the cabbage is done.

Chicken and dumpling "stoup". Used gnocchi for dumplings, added shredder poached chicken, carrot, peas, baby spinach and sliced scallion for top.

^ Om (g)nom (g)nom gnocchi!

I am making an urad dal stew tonight, along with rice and a cabbage dish with coconut, chiles, turmeric, lime, and mustard seeds. (The cabbage dish is even better the next day, when it has had a chance to fully absorb the turmeric and lime flavors. Basically, it's Tamil sauerkraut. :)

I'm making a lasagna recipe from an old Bon Appetit recipe. It's supposed to be Spicy Sausage and Three-Cheese Lasagna, but I swap out mushrooms for the sausage. The headline to the recipe is "Lasagna in an Hour!" - which is a big fat lie because that's just how long it takes it to bake! Tonight I sprinkled some Penzey's Pizza Seasoning on top to get some of that dried fennel flavor back. We'll see how that goes.

^ Nice! Sausage was the last meat I really missed, maybe excepting my father's meatloaf (which is all about the onions, anyway). And it's definitely because of the fennel, garlic, rosemary, and whatnot.

We are having simple dinner tonight-- goat cheese-filled ravioli, with arugula.

There were some citrus oddities in the kitchen-- wild sweet/Seville hybrid oranges, a blood orange that got a little frost-bitten and unfortunate in texture but fine in taste, some bergamot crossed with lemon thingies. I am trying to make marmalade with them, since they are not getting otherwise used.

^ That is probably my favorite thing in Diane Kochilas's Greek Vegetarian. So good!

We are having a friend over to cook with us tonight. (I am maybe a little excited about this. :happy-bouncygreen: ) What we're making:

puntarelle with a spicy dressing (capers, olives, preserved lemon, pepper flakes)

whole wheat flatbreads with a herby mushroom sauce and Greek yogurt

roasted red onions with balsamic vinaigrette

If we have any room left, we'll have some gelato with fig brandy over top.

I'm going to try a new recipe from Cooking Light tonight for a plain Turkish pide with a yogurt dip. We'll have it with the fruit that is still floating around from the last grocery trip, and maybe some radish crudites.

Some "farmhouse" bread from the Co-op, slices of salami and feta cheese and a tomato and veg cup-a-soup.

Archived