IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

Strawberry salad with prosciutto, chives, brie, sunflower seeds, and a lime maple cider vinegar dressing. A side of oven fries and a piece of chocolate for dessert.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I picked up the niblings from Greek school and parked them at my place until one of their parental units could pick them up. Black beans with peppers and scallions, with a cider vinegar and olive oil dressing. Spanish rice. Grated cheddar. Tomato salsa that I cubed an avocado into because I only had one so therefore guacamole was out of the question. Cut up bananas and apples for dessert.

Homework and a conversation with my 8 year old nephew about how he and a girl in class are "going out". I need a drink now.

:lol:

We went out for dinner. I had a sunflower seed risotto and a roasted squash dish with a delightful tangy molasses-y sauce and kicky cress, plus a few bites of The Partner's pear tart. TP had a melon and octopus salad, followed by a duck and turnip thingie.

I think I'm going to make a fall veggie harvest dinner. I have baby squash with their blossoms from the farmers' market to use and am going to make the recipe with the sea salt, lemon basil, and butter again. Then I'll make Crescent Dragonwagon's cornbread and open a jar of my Mom's home-canned green beans.

We went out for dinner. I had a sunflower seed risotto and a roasted squash dish with a delightful tangy molasses-y sauce and kicky cress, plus a few bites of The Partner's pear tart. TP had a melon and octopus salad, followed by a duck and turnip thingie.

Octopus and melon are two of my favorite food things, but I never thought to pair them together. How did they dress them, and what other ingredients were in the salad?

Octopus and melon are two of my favorite food things, but I never thought to pair them together. How did they dress them, and what other ingredients were in the salad?

The salad was called something like "Melon Five Ways." There were three kinds of melon-- honeydew, canteloupe, and watermelon-- and multiple preparations of two of them. TP said the watermelon seemed to be compressed (maybe using a vacuum sealer?) and then grilled. Some of the canteloupe was pickled. Some of the honeydew was in pieces resembling sushi, with some shiso whatnot atop it, and some of it was spicy (Aleppo pepper, according to the menu). And there was a melon coulis for dressing. In his opinion, the octopus was mostly there for textural contrast-- he said a vegetarian version would have been as good. The light was too low for a picture, but it was pretty!

Tonight, we had jook with braised tempeh, shredded carrot and ginger, and green onion.

Really good risotto. Made with a base of celery, green onion, and leeks. Cooked in onion-free homemade stock. Threw in a bit of savoury, stirred in some shrimp at the end, and topped with some roasted tomatoes and crisped proscuitto. It definitely lacks the pungency of traditional onion-based risotto, but it was light and flavourful and delicious.

A couple of my friends, during a dinner party we had this weekend, basically told me that they thought my diet was some psychosomatic cure, as in, "well, if you BELIEVE it's helping you, even if it's not the real problem, that's probably doing you good." Ouch. Like, I get why they might say that, when I've been known as someone who loved to eat bread and make homeade aioli for approximately forever, but believe me, if there was a way I could continue to be a person eating bread and aioli and feeling like a functional human being not constantly on the lookout for the nearest bathroom, I sure as hell would have found it in the past eight years. Sigh.

^ My sympathies on your friends' cluelessness. I cannot do sugar alcohols or deep-fried things without having to stay near a bathroom. But they're comparatively easy to avoid. Avoiding wheat and alliums would be a much bigger challenge.

I had horiatiki tonight, enjoying tomato season while it lasts.

I am so pumped. I made fleisch perishky, a traditional Mennonite name for meat buns. I made both regular wheat, and a rice flour and potato flour version for me. I braised the meat filling in beer, because I was out of onion free stock, and had no time to make more. (Yes, it's totally confusing, but since the wheat fructans in beer have been converted to alcohol, it is low FODMAPS.) Added leeks, green onions, herbs and mustard. It tasted delicious. My boyfriend and cousin tasted both versions, and declared both equally good, though of course the wheat version was lighter and fluffier. I was really pleased with the dough, and now I get to eat the leftovers while I travel over the next couple of days.

Pasta with fresh tomato and basil sauce. Spread garlic dip on bread and toasted it in the oven. Greek salad, which is making me a little melancholy, because we all seem to be at the end of the viability of our tomato plants. Winter is coming and with it cabbage for salads.

Oh, I spoke to Sis today. Eight year old nephew got dumped. The little girl decided she wanted to "go out" with another little boy. Nephew assured Sis that he is not sad and he and the little girl are still friends. :shrug:

I took a shot of Bailey's tonight in his honor. Doesn't seem fair he is old enough to get dumped but not old enough to brood over a beer. :P

Ah, young love.

We had ravioli filled with goat cheese and roasted garlic, with roasted peppers and arugula as topping. A spot of chocolate for dessert.

Salad of kohlrabi, cucumber, red onion, tomato, basil and feta in a vinaigrette. Crusty bread to mop up.

Greens, tomatoes, and basil were from the ever dwindling garden. :(

Mr. Wtylcf's mom's recipe for rice curry seafood mushroom swiss cheese bechamel casserole. So weird, but so delicious! Subbed asafoetida powder for the garlic and onion and it tasted quite nice.

Sunday dinner. Roast pork apple sauce, neeps and carrot mash, sugar snap peas, sage and onion stuffing. Gravy and the horror that is pork crackling :lol:

I made Jam Roly Poly for my Mum. It is her childhood favourite. Wrapped in grease proof paper and foil and in the oven over a bowl of water. The old recipes are not quick!

Roast chicken with roasted carrots and potatoes. Guess what I'm having for lunch and dinner till at least Wednesday? :lol: Beet greens with apples for a salad.

Last night was an omelet with roasted peppers and goat cheese. Tonight, a rice noodle salad with marinated baked tofu and vegetables.

I made Trader Joe's honey roasted pumpkin ravioli with a little sauce over the top - toasted almonds, browned butter, and sage. Slurp.

We've all got the Arkansas Crud, so Dad is picking up MickyD's on the way home for the littles and I'm planning on a hand full of vitamins, Zicam, and Sprite or Coke for my dinner. I think this crap may kill me this time :violin:

We've all got the Arkansas Crud, so Dad is picking up MickyD's on the way home for the littles and I'm planning on a hand full of vitamins, Zicam, and Sprite or Coke for my dinner. I think this crap may kill me this time :violin:

Did you get it from one of your littles? Nothing, but nothing scares me more than an incoming cold from a nibling. Kid is fine and dandy in 48 hours, I am practically tubercular for at least a week.

Boxed chicken broth spiked with the liquid courage of your choice is good for any and all cruds.

I made the conchiglie with yogurt, peas, and chile from the Jerusalem cookbook. It was awesome. Even MrDrPusey, who is sometimes dubious about a little heat and spice, happily ate it up and put extra pine nuts with chile on his pasta.

I don't really think it tastes like aashak from an Afghan restaurant as the cookbook says- but the sauce is so nice and creamy without requiring much work from the cook.

Archived