IGNORED

Biscuits/Cookies

Violet

baking powder is definitely NOT the same thing. Or, it's partly the same thing, but you can't substitute!

(baking powder is bicarb + cream of tartar + corn starch? Don't quote me on that, it might not be right, but it's something like that. It's not fully a base so the acid/base reaction gets wonked up if you try to swap them out for each other)

baking powder is definitely NOT the same thing. Or, it's partly the same thing, but you can't substitute!

(baking powder is bicarb + cream of tartar + corn starch? Don't quote me on that, it might not be right, but it's something like that. It's not fully a base so the acid/base reaction gets wonked up if you try to swap them out for each other)

Thanks for explaining that! I don't tend to use baking powder anyway as I can just use self-raising flour (which already has baking powder in it.)

I always use the Toll House recipe, and I use butter flavor shortening instead of butter. I don't like crisp cookies, so the shortening makes a more cakey cookie.

I always use the Toll House recipe, and I use butter flavor shortening instead of butter. I don't like crisp cookies, so the shortening makes a more cakey cookie.

Would baking them for less time have the same effect? I'm a bit of a butter purist :oops: so dislike using margarine or lard in recipes.

• 3 weeks later...

Shortbread YUM!

Scottish all butter shortbread EVEN better. Simple.

175g (6 oz) plain flour

5 tablespoons caster sugar

175g (6 oz) butter

Just tried this, although I did add vanilla extract because it goes in everything sweet that I bake ;), so I guess it's not longer Scottish shortbread...but anyway those biscuits are so delicious! They also look seriously cute when in the shape of giraffes (I would post a photo but I ate all the giraffe ones! :twisted:)

Archived