IGNORED

Biscuits/Cookies

Violet

Okay I lovelovelove to bake and set very high standards for myself but I just can't get the hang of biscuits. I've also discovered that I much prefer biscuit dough to cooked biscuits ;) Does anyone have a recipe that works everytime or any other suggestions to help me with my biscuit woes?

I found this one for Nestle Tollhouse Cookies on the side of a tin 20+ years ago and it has never failed me. And they're delicious. In fact, I made them yesterday for a bake sale.

Cookie dough is awesome, and there are recipes online for cookie dough that is never intended to be baked, so it's free of raw eggs and safe for kids to eat as dough.

I make a bulk recipe, divide it up uncooked and freeze, that way each Sunday I can bake a fresh batch. Makes around 70-80 Biscuits.

5 cups of flour

1 cup of sugar

500g of butter

1 375g tin of condensed milk

Cream butter and sugar, mix in condensed milk, fold in flour. At this point I add choc chips, But you could use anything you like.

Other variations I have tried are:

Honey and Oats

Slivered Almonds

Jam drops

I found this one for Nestle Tollhouse Cookies on the side of a tin 20+ years ago and it has never failed me. And they're delicious. In fact, I made them yesterday for a bake sale.

Oohhh thank you! I'll give it a go :)

I make a bulk recipe, divide it up uncooked and freeze, that way each Sunday I can bake a fresh batch. Makes around 70-80 Biscuits.

5 cups of flour

1 cup of sugar

500g of butter

1 375g tin of condensed milk

Cream butter and sugar, mix in condensed milk, fold in flour. At this point I add choc chips, But you could use anything you like.

Other variations I have tried are:

Honey and Oats

Slivered Almonds

Jam drops

Oooh thanks, this one looks good too! Shall have a go at this too :)

I prefer crumbly shortbread type ones or really chocolatey ones.

Shortbread YUM!

Scottish all butter shortbread EVEN better. Simple.

175g (6 oz) plain flour

5 tablespoons caster sugar

175g (6 oz) butter

My kid makes these often, great for a treat in her packed lunch.

Plus life is just better when Party Rings are in it!

http://afternoontease.co.uk/2012/09/09/ ... artyrings/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_ring

Because of the demographic popularity of the product, most "party ring children" are now of university age or older, and many universities have societies to appreciate such confectionery items. These societies came to notoriety in 1999 when Fox's Biscuits changed the packaging of party rings, causing petitions, heavy leafleting campaigns and a sit-in outside their production plant in Batley, West Yorkshire also made at the Kirkham factory

SO good they caused a protest :lol:

The first link is the best recipe I have found. We do not bother with the jam/curd thing. From a height we just drizzle good old homemade icing in zig zaggy lines in different colours. Really fun to make and more fun to eat!

Shortbread YUM!

Scottish all butter shortbread EVEN better. Simple.

175g (6 oz) plain flour

5 tablespoons caster sugar

175g (6 oz) butter

Thank you! :)

Hey, Violet, I saw that you said you can bake, but aren't too successful with biscuits. This would be my tip:

I have found that although all baking requires following the recipe almost exactly, cookies/biscuits demand the most precision of all. You really need to make sure that you have all of the measurements precisely, that you're using the exact kind of ingredients (not replacing softened butter with oil, or vice versa), and that you're using fresh ingredients - toss old baking powder and baking soda after a few months-it's not expensive and your baked goods will thank you. Baking is so gratifying, so good luck!

Hey, Violet, I saw that you said you can bake, but aren't too successful with biscuits. This would be my tip:

I have found that although all baking requires following the recipe almost exactly, cookies/biscuits demand the most precision of all. You really need to make sure that you have all of the measurements precisely, that you're using the exact kind of ingredients (not replacing softened butter with oil, or vice versa), and that you're using fresh ingredients - toss old baking powder and baking soda after a few months-it's not expensive and your baked goods will thank you. Baking is so gratifying, so good luck!

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm just the opposite with cookies. I'm never exact with my measurements and I'm quite pleased with the results. In fact, when I make chocolate chip cookies, I don't even use a recipe anymore.

I agree that the dough is the best part. Second best is when they're still warm and gooey from the oven. Once they've cooled, eh.

I keep my baking powder and baking soda in the freezer (al o g with my yeast.) It lasts for years. Also keeps in mind altitude and humidity. I live at 4500 ft as nd very little humidity. I find bread the most difficult to get rightm

I keep my baking powder and baking soda in the freezer (al o g with my yeast.) It lasts for years. Also keeps in mind altitude and humidity. I live at 4500 ft as nd very little humidity. I find bread the most difficult to get rightm

Sorry this is probably a very stupid question, but when you use baking powder etc which you've frozen, is it still powdery or do you have to let it defrost a bit first?

Sister-Wife I make a very similar one and freeze the dough in balls so I can just bake 1 or 2 if I want or I can just nibble on the raw dough ball mmmmm.

Anzac biscuits (combine 1cup of flour, 1cup of rolled oats and 1/2cup sugar in a bowl. In a saucepan melt together 2 tablespoons of golden syrup, 125gr of butter and 2 tablespoons of water. When melted add 1/2teaspoon of bicarb and stir to froth. Pour into dry ingredients and mix to combine. Roll into balls and bake 120C for 10-15min.) are a hit here. I add grated carrot, shredded coconut, chia seeds and sultanas and make it as a slice for after school-before sports snack.

Sister-Wife I make a very similar one and freeze the dough in balls so I can just bake 1 or 2 if I want or I can just nibble on the raw dough ball mmmmm.

Anzac biscuits (combine 1cup of flour, 1cup of rolled oats and 1/2cup sugar in a bowl. In a saucepan melt together 2 tablespoons of golden syrup, 125gr of butter and 2 tablespoons of water. When melted add 1/2teaspoon of bicarb and stir to froth. Pour into dry ingredients and mix to combine. Roll into balls and bake 120C for 10-15min.) are a hit here. I add grated carrot, shredded coconut, chia seeds and sultanas and make it as a slice for after school-before sports snack.

Mmmm, I love Anzacs made into slice!! And chia seeds, put them in everything ;)

The chocolate chip cookies from the River Cottage Family Cookbook never fail me. They are so quick to make and only take a few minutes to cook. Take them out of the oven when they're only just starting to turn golden, as they burn very quickly, and let them harden up on the greasproof paper for a while. My kids love them and they are my staple for school cake sales etc.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... ies-recipe

The chocolate chip cookies from the River Cottage Family Cookbook never fail me. They are so quick to make and only take a few minutes to cook. Take them out of the oven when they're only just starting to turn golden, as they burn very quickly, and let them harden up on the greasproof paper for a while. My kids love them and they are my staple for school cake sales etc.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... ies-recipe

Thanks! Shall try these out too :)

this is my go-to recipe for cookie newbies :)

It's a 'kids cookbook' recipe, designed w/ a high margin of error, because the 'cooking wizardry for kids' folks assume 10 year olds sometimes don't measure well. :-)

My sisters have mistaken tsp for TBSP all the way through and you couldn't taste the difference.

Giant Gourmet Chocolate Chunk Cookies:

2 c flour

1/4 tsp soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 c (2 sticks) butter/margarine (softened)

1 c granulated sugar

1/2 c brown sugar (dark brown if you have it. If you don't, doesn't matter--well packed)

1 tsp vanilla

5 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 c milk

1-1/2 c of whatever you want to add (choclate chunks, choc chips, white chocolate chips, a mix....much more than 2 cups and it gets a bit sticky but you can round up here :-)

1 c of nuts if you wish (I don't wish)

preheat oven to 325. (line baking sheets w/ foil if you want, don't have to)

mix flour, soda & salt

cream butter & white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat at med-high

Add coccoa and milk to butter mix.

Gradually add the flour, beat at low speed

W/ a large spoon, fold in chocolate chips & nuts

use 1/4 c of batter per cookie. Drop enough for 4-6 onto one cookie sheet (UNGREASED), at least 3 inches apart.

(ETA, the 'batter' for these is a little runnier and fluffier than 'normal' cookie dough. But they are to die for and it turns out, I promise.)

bake for 20 minutes.

place cookie sheet on wire rack for 5 minutes then move cookies onto rack.

makes about 2 dozen

this is my go-to recipe for cookie newbies :)

It's a 'kids cookbook' recipe, designed w/ a high margin of error, because the 'cooking wizardry for kids' folks assume 10 year olds sometimes don't measure well. :-)

My sisters have mistaken tsp for TBSP all the way through and you couldn't taste the difference.

Giant Gourmet Chocolate Chunk Cookies:

2 c flour

1/4 tsp soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 c (2 sticks) butter/margarine (softened)

1 c granulated sugar

1/2 c brown sugar (dark brown if you have it. If you don't, doesn't matter--well packed)

1 tsp vanilla

5 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 c milk

1-1/2 c of whatever you want to add (choclate chunks, choc chips, white chocolate chips, a mix....much more than 2 cups and it gets a bit sticky but you can round up here :-)

1 c of nuts if you wish (I don't wish)

preheat oven to 325. (line baking sheets w/ foil if you want, don't have to)

mix flour, soda & salt

cream butter & white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat at med-high

Add coccoa and milk to butter mix.

Gradually add the flour, beat at low speed

W/ a large spoon, fold in chocolate chips & nuts

use 1/4 c of batter per cookie. Drop enough for 4-6 onto one cookie sheet (UNGREASED), at least 3 inches apart.

(ETA, the 'batter' for these is a little runnier and fluffier than 'normal' cookie dough. But they are to die for and it turns out, I promise.)

bake for 20 minutes.

place cookie sheet on wire rack for 5 minutes then move cookies onto rack.

makes about 2 dozen

Thanks! Do you mean soda as in bicarbonate of soda?

Archived