IGNORED

Teen sues parents over forced abortion

rene76

Also, Mrs. S2004, I'm sorry this thread is triggering for you, and I certainly dont think you are a govnment leech. Rather, it sounds like you were samrt in getting all the assistance you could. I would point out that when you belittle the statistical reality of most teenage mothers, your are refusing to acknowledge that the assistance you received from the government simply does not exist anymore in most places. There is no subsidized housing in my area that would be safe for a young mother and baby. Since welfare reform, most benefits are limited and there are work requirements attached to assistance. I don't know any single mothers who are able to receive benefits and go to school full time.

QFT :clap:

Also, methinks you doth protest too much.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QFT :clap:

Also, methinks you doth protest too much.

The OP has said the thread is triggering for her and wishes to walk away but finds that difficult by nature. I find your post quite provocative and do not see the point of it. People can disagree you know.

@ Minerva. You bring up some very good points that make for very interesting reading.

This issue boils down to the fact that I disagree with this stance. I believe a parent's role is to influence their children when it comes to making the best decision for themselves. Give them all the facts and their options, with pros and cons of each? Sure. But they're certainly going to know which option I think is best and why. Again, I consider that the duty of a parent.

It is certainly food for thought. My child is only 10 at the moment and most of my parenting decisions are most certainly at this stage 'duty parenting.' I do think about it a lot and wonder when or if as a parent that shift of trust between my experience and hers dictates the decisions. Teen pregnancy would definitely be a turning point. I genuinely hope for her and my and her Dad's sake (selfishly) that it does not arise. We all like to think we are educating our daughters to be savvy and make good choices. It is no guarantee sadly.

The OP has said the thread is triggering for her and wishes to walk away but finds that difficult by nature. I find your post quite provocative and do not see the point of it. People can disagree you know.

@ Minerva. You bring up some very good points that make for very interesting reading.

I was not trying to be provocative, I was trying to acknowledge her experience while at the same time pointing out that in the US, such options are not often available today. If I lived in a state like California, or Australia, the UK or other countries with a real social safety net, then I would be more comfortable with my daughter having a child while a teenager.

I was not trying to be provocative, I was trying to acknowledge her experience while at the same time pointing out that in the US, such options are not often available today. If I lived in a state like California, or Australia, the UK or other countries with a real social safety net, then I would be more comfortable with my daughter having a child while a teenager.

Apologies Meda it was not your post I meant although it was included in the link. I found your insights in regards to benefits interesting compared to my demographic.

There are too many quotes within quotes so I'm not going to try.

Curious as to what "protest too much " means ?

I do know that I was fortunate to live in an area and time with a great deal of available safety net services. There are still some today ( I know because it's the field I work in ) but that is definitely impacted by area. Of course so is cost of living - so the need for supports like subsidized housing is going to be a lot more important in high cost areas in general. I am not trying to say that being a young mom is all rosy glowy happy easy all the time - I just think it isn't necessarily the doomed struggle that seems to be portrayed.

I do know people who had abortions when young and don't regret them at all and think it was a great decision. That is fine. I also know people who became mom's at a very young age who don't regret it all and think it was a great decision.

In thinking about the few people I personally know well enough to know their circumstances in detail - the key factor in regretting the decision ( whichever course they chose ) - seems to be if they felt they were pressured to go against what they felt was the best choice for them.

Obviously I don't know enough people to have that be any sort of scientific poll - but I think it is a reason to try to keep my parenting choices/views on the matter from overly swaying my child's. Present resources, share my feelings and view yes - but that is about it.

Archived