IGNORED

Lutheran pastor apologizes for taking part in Sandy Hook ser

BoomerLynn

A Lutheran pastor has apologized for taking part in an interfaith vigil for the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy. Apparently the president of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod wrote a letter to church members saying he requested an apology from Pasto Rob Morris for participating in joint worship with other religions. Pastor Morris apologized and his apology was accepted. Twenty children and six adults were murdered, yet this so-called Christian cares only that the pastors of his church not worship alongside other faiths. Way to "Love thy neighbor." :roll:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02 ... e#comments

:evil: Ugh, I'm beyond disgusted. Yeah, gee, who cares about murdered innocent children and their suffering families when you need to cover your ass? Nothing Christian to see here.

A Lutheran pastor has apologized for taking part in an interfaith vigil for the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy. Apparently the president of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod wrote a letter to church members saying he requested an apology from Pasto Rob Morris for participating in joint worship with other religions. Pastor Morris apologized and his apology was accepted. Twenty children and six adults were murdered, yet this so-called Christian cares only that the pastors of his church not worship alongside other faiths. Way to "Love thy neighbor." :roll:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02 ... e#comments

I'm always glad when I read stuff like this because it clarifies which churches to avoid. I'm never going to a Lutheran Church Missouri Synod church, that's for sure. Perhaps I shall write him a letter expressing my thanks. I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing how he's helped in my spiritual quest.

Weird, I didn't know Lutherans were anti-ecumenical. I wonder if it's only the Missouri Synod or also the ELCA? I think it's tacky and I wonder what the Biblical basis for it is. I know Jehovah's Witnesses won't pray with anyone from other faiths, like even at a family dinner. They say it's because the Bible doesn't endorse interfaith worship.

The ELCA is very ecumenical. The local ELCA-affiliated Lutheran church is a big part of any ecumenical services in my city.

Weird, I didn't know Lutherans were anti-ecumenical. I wonder if it's only the Missouri Synod or also the ELCA? I think it's tacky and I wonder what the Biblical basis for it is. I know Jehovah's Witnesses won't pray with anyone from other faiths, like even at a family dinner. They say it's because the Bible doesn't endorse interfaith worship.

ELCA is the liberal red head step child in the US lutheran churches.

Why in the hell should Pastor Morris apologize for doing his job-comforting people?

His job is to toe the line for the Missouri Synod, not comfort a shocked and grieving town.

Sheesh, it's not like he's an Episcopalian or a Unitarian. :roll:

(I'm being sarcastic because I'm so pissed off about this.)

Edited to add: Anyone want to help me write a letter to the Missouri Synod? I'm thinking of writing it in the style of Dorothy Parker.

If I remember correctly a Missouri-Synod pastor was stripped of his ministerial credentials following an inter-faith 9/11 service.

You know what's sad? I saw this whole thing coming. I knew someone was going to get mad about the interfaith aspect of it....*sigh.* Trying to convert someone in the midst of a tragedy is just awful. Leave them to what comforts them.

If I remember correctly a Missouri-Synod pastor was stripped of his ministerial credentials following an inter-faith 9/11 service.

It briefly mentions that at the end of the article. I think he refused to apologized, was stripped of his credentials, then reinstated a few years later. This stupidity is a complete slap in the face to all the victims' families, both 9/11 and Sandy Hook.

In the end, isnt it about the PEOPLE? I mean, its THE SAME GOD! Shouldnt the encourage people to see god and his comfort regardless of the vehicle used? This is seriously disgusting! If you dont do it my way youre doing it wrong so fuck you? Makes no sense!

This is crazy!! I'm Jewish one of my Rabbi's good friends is the priest from the Catholic church in my town. What happened to "love thy neighbor". This guy should not have apologize what is wrong w/ the guy who demanding this.

WELS is also anti-ecumenical, IIRC.

I am going to send the good pastor a card commending him for his kindness. I hope he's inundated with good wishes.

Seriously?! Isn't the point that after tragedies like this we must unite, regardless of belief? My dad helped lead an interfaith service in our town a few days after 9/11, with priests and pastors and a rabbi and an imam and nobody said a word. That is so ridiculous, and the guy who forced that pastor to apologize should be put in the prayer closet.

In the end, isnt it about the PEOPLE? I mean, its THE SAME GOD! Shouldnt the encourage people to see god and his comfort regardless of the vehicle used? This is seriously disgusting! If you dont do it my way youre doing it wrong so fuck you? Makes no sense!

:text-yeahthat: To the ones who convinced that pastor to apologize for participating in the service :obscene-birdiered: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-screaming:

When I read that, I was incredulous. I didn't know that mainstream religious leaders still believed in separate worship services during horrific tragedies. If anything, interfaith services during times of crisis provides a guiding light to the community. When tragedy strikes, would anyone feel comforted by separating people and having everyone mourn by themselves? Heaven forbid if someone sees a pastor with a Catholic priest with a rabbi with a imam. People might feel they can come together in support of each other! I forget what was the purpose of these memorial services? Was it to show how one God is superior to another? Or a way to comfort all those who seek solace in a time of grief?

Wow, that is disturbing! Let's not comfort people in their time of need....never forget, when people are hurting , that is the best time to grab them and try to convert them!

He wasn't. He continues, IIRC, as the geographical district president (read: bishop).

It's stuff like this that makes me value the traditions of scholarship that the LCMS instilled in me as a young bug, but it's also why I now quietly call myself Luutheran. I have taken Lutheran values and ideas into a UU-inspired faith walk of my own, thus I'm Luutheran.

I'm quiet about it because it isnt going to help my still-devout family to know about it. But this isn't about me. The pastor has his livelihood and his pension to consider. I can't hate on him. I can just sigh and shake my head at my former brothers in the faith. They're following their consciences, but I don't think they realize how much it doesn't bear witness to the Good News of JC of Nazareth.

Le sigh.

Happily Luutheran,

MJB

We saw this yesterday and my first thought was, "I'm so glad we're not Missouri Synod." As a lifelong Lutheran this sort of thing is embarrassing even when the media clarifies which group is responsible. You'd never see this kind of bullshit from the ECLA. The former pastor of our previous congregation is a chaplain with the Connecticut State Police and was involved heavily in the response to the Newtown massacre (he's a former cop himself). Incidentally, the ELCA is roughly twice the size of the LCMS (Missouri Synod) and WELS put together. The Missouri Synod Lutherans who I know here fall into the "fundie lite" category for sure, although I'm told in the midwest the cultural differences between ELCA and LCMS are less pronounced.

My mother was raised WELS and then her family switched to LCMS (Missouri Synod) when she was in middle school. She was educated in Missouri Synod schools for K-8. She figured she'd stay Missouri Synod forever until her pastor refused to marry my parents in the church. The reason? My dad was Baptist (American Baptist, not Southern Baptist) at the time and the asshat pastor simply couldn't tolerate a non-LCMS person being married under the roof of their church. Fortunately my dad's pastor agreed to do the wedding. They attended ALC (predecessor of the ELCA) churches after that and I was baptized in an ALC congregation.

When we moved to this state, I was young and my mother was having a very high risk pregnancy. They called the local Missouri Synod church, asking about the congregation and explaining that my mother was on bed rest and couldn't go to church, but that she would love a pastoral visit - the pastor said that until we started attending his church weekly for several months he wasn't going to make the effort to come to our home. :x They called the local ELCA congregation next and the pastor came for a visit that evening. We joined that congregation and never looked back. Eventually my dad, who was still nominally Baptist, converted. I did attend a Missouri Synod congregation at college because it was within walking distance, but the pastor there was on the liberal side (maybe he kind of had to, being in a college town). Technically he shouldn't have even let me take communion but he always did, knowing that I was not a Missouri Synod member.

My husband and I are raising our family in the ELCA and are really happy with how inclusive and, well, liberal our denomination is. Please, don't think all or even most Lutherans are like this. I'm sure there are even Missouri Synod members who disagree with this censure/apology for this pastor and know it makes them look bad.

Archived