IGNORED

Lutheran pastor apologizes for taking part in Sandy Hook ser

BoomerLynn

What a sad thing to hear. I was raised in the Lutheran church and am a member at an ELCA church today. I've never met a Missouri Synod Lutheran but from everything I hear they sound like polar opposites. My church is pretty liberal and open to helping anyone for a good cause. The leadership have a very good relationship with a nearby Jewish synagogue, and when Westboro Baptist Church came to protest the synagogue, our pastor went over to show his support for the synagogue.

At the Hillel I work at, the director is part of a group of campus ministers. They have a representative from the Missouri Synod who is, by all accounts, a nice guy. However, he can't be an official member of the organization because it would violate their rule not to associate with other faiths and Christian denominations. He can't pay dues, so he does things like hosts meetings at his house and pays for the food and drinks.

Weird, I didn't know Lutherans were anti-ecumenical. I wonder if it's only the Missouri Synod or also the ELCA? I think it's tacky and I wonder what the Biblical basis for it is. I know Jehovah's Witnesses won't pray with anyone from other faiths, like even at a family dinner. They say it's because the Bible doesn't endorse interfaith worship.

ELCA is very ecumenical. Apparently, Missouri Synod is not. Nor is the Wisconsin synod.

There is no biblical basis for this.

These people have never read a single word that Jesus said especially that pesky parable about the Good Samaritan.

ELCA is the liberal red head step child in the US lutheran churches.

Yep. And it was stuff like this that made my husband's family leave the LCMS.

What a sad thing to hear. I was raised in the Lutheran church and am a member at an ELCA church today. I've never met a Missouri Synod Lutheran but from everything I hear they sound like polar opposites. My church is pretty liberal and open to helping anyone for a good cause. The leadership have a very good relationship with a nearby Jewish synagogue, and when Westboro Baptist Church came to protest the synagogue, our pastor went over to show his support for the synagogue.

Why was Westboro at the synagogue? So glad that the pastor went to show his support!!

Weird, I didn't know Lutherans were anti-ecumenical. I wonder if it's only the Missouri Synod or also the ELCA? I think it's tacky and I wonder what the Biblical basis for it is. I know Jehovah's Witnesses won't pray with anyone from other faiths, like even at a family dinner. They say it's because the Bible doesn't endorse interfaith worship.

ELCA are NOT anti-ecumenical I have been told by LCMS members that I am not a true Lutheran because the ELCA has communion priviledges with the Episcopal Church, US, PCA, UCC, and a couple of other. Apparently, sharing the Lords supper with other Christians is not a good thing!

ELCA tends towards more liberal, open table, ecumenical, and accepting of others!

If none of this makes sense, it's because I am half asleep!

I called it. When I saw there was going to be an inter faith service I knew the LCMS was going to have a tantrum.

I was raised LCMS and I have stories. I remember after 9/11 the hub bub about that pastor and there was talk about the synod breaking up.

A few years ago I joined an ELCA congregation and from my family's reactions you would have thought I took up residence in Jones Town. I am happy with my liberal church and glad to be rid of the "misery" synod.

My dad is an LCMS pastor and he had and I a good talk about this situation today. The pastor's in the circuit here are getting together on Monday and writing a letter of support to the Pastor of Newtown and saying he did the right thing. Most of the people I know that are still in the LC-MS can not believe that the pastor was called on the carpet for his involvement in the service and fully support him over the president of the synod. My dad also said to read the wording closely and that he didn't apologize for his involvement. He apologized that some people found it offensive. I haven't read the letter to know for sure though.

Oh, and my family and I left the LC-MS 7 years ago. I was raised in the synod, have my teaching/music degree from a synod supported school and have worked in churches for years. We now attend a Covenant church. My dad has often said that he know feels more closely related to the Covenant church than the LC-MS.

I was raised ELCA Lutheran but have LCMS relatives; husband was raised LCMS but his family left the church after he got confirmed. While LCMS tends to be pretty conservative, there can be some variance within churches. It was kinda weird to go to a LCMS church for a family baptism, wedding, etc. and not be allowed to take communion because basically I was not the right type of Lutheran. However, my aunt and uncle attend a LCMS church that had no problem with non-LCMS Lutherans participating and we didn't have to speak to the pastor beforehand.

Also have some WELS relatives. Some of the stuff they spout is so conservative and intolerant, that I was wondering how they could ever be Lutheran, it was such a far cry from what I was raised in. A few years ago, I had a second cousin commit suicide and his own WELS grandmother inferred that he was probably wasn't in heaven but she will know when she gets there. Jaw dropper, that one.

I was once employed by an appendage of the LCMS. I quit my job over nonsense like this that I just couldn't sit by and be a part of any longer. Stay classy, Missouri Synod.

Archived