IGNORED

Introduce Yourself

Deleted04

Yeah, mine too, we should take them to the avatar playground for a playdate sometime.

I think that would be lovely!

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that would be lovely!

OH, yes, they would love to go hang out in a graveyard full of old plague victims or something. :lol:

Belatedly found this thread-- I am 36 years old and was raised in the midwest by two (liberal) preacher parents, one of them quite feminist. I've been living in happy sin in northern California with The Partner since 2005. I am a practicing Christian (by my own definition; fundamentalists would disagree) but am allergic to telling anyone else what to do or how to live. I will be more inclined to marry when everyone who wants to is allowed to by law, and also when I have finished working through some of my own shit. The Partner and I have no children, and no plans to have children, though we enjoy my brother and sister-in-law's kids.

Though I had some fundie (and lots of fundie-light) acquaintances in youth, I discovered Quiverful and Christian patriarchy within the last two years or so by reading feminist reactions to them. I've been reading at Patheos and NLQ for a few months, and looked up Free Jinger on the recommendation of someone on a feminist blog I frequent. I'm especially interested in threads here where former fundies talk about what changed their minds, and how. Figuring out how to toss or modify the parts of your life that you recognize are hurtful takes a lot of insight and courage, and I have a lot to learn from you.

I'm a cisgender woman in my 20s, from Ontario, childless, and living in sin with my cis man partner. I'm childfree and would like to keep it that way. No pets of my own, just the Beast from my childhood home whom I'm still in love with. Strictly speaking I'm agnostic, but also Christian as far as I'm concerned. I'm working on a science major - won't name which field as it's unusual and therefore identifying. Hobbies include hanging around various corners of the internet, going to protests, organizing protests, and daydreaming. Politically I'm pretty far to the left. To give you an idea, probably a bit less far than JFC, but not by much I imagine. I struggle to keep my apartment clean and don't know what I'm doing with my degree which causes me stress. I'm a sexual health geek. I work in fast food, which is tolerable but definitely temporary.

I've been lurking for a few months & I figured this thread would make for a good first post.

Anyway, I'm a 24 year old soon to be ex-military wife (leaving the service, not divorce) from just outside of Boston. I just had my first baby last month, though I'm more apt to have a quiver full of cats, not babies. (Currently, I'm at six cats and only one baby.) I attended an all-girls Catholic high school and thought the Catholics were messed up until I discovered the fundies and they put everything into perspective for me. I came across FJ through Razing Ruth, who I stumbled upon doing research for a sociology term project last semester. I've been borderline obsessed with the fundies and this site ever since. The shit I've read never ceases to amaze/outrage/horrify me. The thread on Smuggar's Instagram is gold. That kid is SUCH a tool and the snark on here is great.

I'm Julia, live in Michigan, single, slave to two cats and two dogs. I had a career in retail management that I hated and that sucked my brain dry, so I went to college part-time for years. Then I quit the big box and am about to start my junior year at a big university (anthropology).

I grew up all over the country and met a lot of fundies and near-fundies, and I'm related to many more. I never believed in god, despite many years of trying to make myself believe otherwise. I'm also liberal and outspoken, so I never fit in well with the fundie types. :) I learned about FJ from TWoP but didn't join until recently.

I'm Julia, live in Michigan, single, slave to two cats and two dogs. I had a career in retail management that I hated and that sucked my brain dry, so I went to college part-time for years. Then I quit the big box and am about to start my junior year at a big university (anthropology).

I grew up all over the country and met a lot of fundies and near-fundies, and I'm related to many more. I never believed in god, despite many years of trying to make myself believe otherwise. I'm also liberal and outspoken, so I never fit in well with the fundie types. :) I learned about FJ from TWoP but didn't join until recently.

Hello, fellow Michigander! :greetings-waveyellow:

I've been reticent to reply, but since I'm actually quite extroverted, anyhow, and have participated in some discussion about my favorite fundies, I'll say a few words.

I'm middle-aged, in a state of spiritual flux, and seeking a new career/direction.

Technical writing for a defense contractor. Basically, I edit and proof the 1000+ page user manuals that engineers churn out and make it readable. Celestia love them, they're surely a bunch of whiz kids with electronics and stuff, but they can't string together a coherent sentence in English to save their thrice-damned lives. :roll:

Ha ha... I know this guy who finished high school the same year I did, who wanted to get into Engineering. He had the aggregate score to get in all right, but in Western Australia at that time (and probably now too) you had to have a pass in either English, or English Literature. He had a mark of 26% for English (I don't know how, because he actually seemed to be pretty articulate to me!). The Engineering department actually said to his mum that if he'd managed to get 30% they'd have let him in! I think he ended up re-doing English and getting a year later, but if other Engineering schools are like this one (which was in the snobbiest uni in the state!) this may be the reason you have a job!

I'm 33, female and in S.E Idaho. I studied Political Science, and I enjoy calling myself a bedwetting liberal, a term I stole from one of my favorite comic book writers. I'm married, no kids just cats. I was raised very Mormon, but I haven't practiced for years.

I've been lurking for a few months & I figured this thread would make for a good first post.

Anyway, I'm a 24 year old soon to be ex-military wife (leaving the service, not divorce) from just outside of Boston. I just had my first baby last month, though I'm more apt to have a quiver full of cats, not babies. (Currently, I'm at six cats and only one baby.) I attended an all-girls Catholic high school and thought the Catholics were messed up until I discovered the fundies and they put everything into perspective for me. I came across FJ through Razing Ruth, who I stumbled upon doing research for a sociology term project last semester. I've been borderline obsessed with the fundies and this site ever since. The shit I've read never ceases to amaze/outrage/horrify me. The thread on Smuggar's Instagram is gold. That kid is SUCH a tool and the snark on here is great.

Hurrah for military dependents and New Englanders! Welcome, neighbor! *waves from Rhode Island*

After reading the introductions, I believe you have had me confused with another older woman who apparently changes her information. I'm 69, have an associates degree in Human Services, mother of six, grandmother of 13 and great grandmother to 3. For 25 years I worked as an Activity Director in various nursing homes because my then husband was in the Navy and we moved around a great deal. At age 58 I retired due to illness. I was harassed to the point that I no longer cared to post because I know the Bateses, but I have lurked. I no longer live in the south but do keep in touch with them via emails and occasional cards. Since I was an Army Brat, I pretty much lived all over, including Germany and Japan, and in many states. I have no intention of dissing the Bates family, however the fundimental lifestye is up for grabs. Like everyone else there are people I like, and people I don't care for. Because most of you are much younger that a few of us 'golden oldies' please realize that for me, at least, age has brought me a large portion of tolerance, which gives me a different perspective. I am a bleeding heart Liberal and sliding into atheism.

Hurrah for military dependents and New Englanders! Welcome, neighbor! *waves from Rhode Island*

I'm originally from RI and I miss it so much, believe it or not! We go back and visit family every year.

28, live in SW Ontario, Canada (just outside the GTA), and I'm a criminal prosecutor.

I've been on this board and the yuku board for years.

Ha ha... I know this guy who finished high school the same year I did, who wanted to get into Engineering. He had the aggregate score to get in all right, but in Western Australia at that time (and probably now too) you had to have a pass in either English, or English Literature. He had a mark of 26% for English (I don't know how, because he actually seemed to be pretty articulate to me!). The Engineering department actually said to his mum that if he'd managed to get 30% they'd have let him in! I think he ended up re-doing English and getting a year later, but if other Engineering schools are like this one (which was in the snobbiest uni in the state!) this may be the reason you have a job!

Hi fellow sandgroper! :) (I'm in Melbourne now along with half the rest of Perth, though.)

Banal and off topic, but my little sister finished her TEE (or VCAT or HSC or whatever they're calling it these days) last year and she did indeed have to do English, but I was annoyed to find they had taken away the requirement to do a maths or science subject! All the anguish that could have been avoided if I had the sense to be born 8 years later. Sigh.

Hi I'm 38 married mom with four kids, and a practicing Catholic. I have been lurking for only a little while but wanted to ask Former 2x2 some questions. I know a really troubled young lady that grew up in what I am 99% sure was that cult. I just learned I can't participate in that section yet so I better get posting!

edited to say....

I just learned who the Pissing Preacher is and how he got his name.

I can't stop saying "pisseth"

Let's see...almost 22, from Virginia, college graduate with a double major in political science and French, studied in France for a semester and loved it, atheist, liberal, working as a retail minion while trying to figure out graduate school options for international affairs. Also a band geek (trombone) for 12 years and very proud of it.

I'm Amanda! I'm a 33 year old single mother of a 5 year old little boy. I live in a very conservative county near Jacksonville, FL. I am a liberal, country girl who doesn't go to church or believe in God. I'm kind of a redneck in that I love country music and line dancing, plus I raise goats, but I'm not an ignorant hick like a lot of the people that live around me. Needless to say I have a hard time fitting in lol. I'm currently working on my AA at a local community college with plans to transfer to UF for Agricultural Education.

Parkersmom, you sound great :) I think you would fit in fine where I'm from (rural Scotland). We like goats and also country dancing (and sectarianism, which you are probably blessedly unaware of). Some people also just liking goats too much, innit ;) but generally goats are a good thing.

29 years old living in Seattle. I'm married and have 3 cats and zero children. I'm was raised in a very conservative Christian home. I'm still a Christian, just a lot more liberal than my upbringing would suggest. I have a doctorate in clinical psychology and am in the process of becoming a licensed psychologist (aka paying tons of money to the state and taking tests). My previous work (since i'm unemployed now) was largely with children and adolescents.

I've lurked on FJ since the Yuku days but just recently (last few months) started posting. I love it here.

I am 44, married with 3 sons, ages 14, 17 and 20. I work from home doing bookkeeping and sewing for an etsy shop, and helping out with the family business.

We live in SC, but I grew up and lived my first 40 years in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I am Mennonite. Our family attended public school and then later a Mennonite parochial school, all of us (my sibs and I) chose our own spouses, and we were free to date. I dress similar to the Duggar girls and but wear my hair up and wear one of those lace head coverings. Most Mennonites (outside of Charity...not sure if Charity considers themselves Mennonite or not. I think not) I know do not practice anything close to patriarchy..

Anyway, I've been lurking here for about a year. I came here after reading the shocking stories on the NLQ sites.

I am 44, married with 3 sons, ages 14, 17 and 20. I work from home doing bookkeeping and sewing for an etsy shop, and helping out with the family business.

We live in SC, but I grew up and lived my first 40 years in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I am Mennonite. Our family attended public school and then later a Mennonite parochial school, all of us (my sibs and I) chose our own spouses, and we were free to date. I dress similar to the Duggar girls and but wear my hair up and wear one of those lace head coverings. Most Mennonites (outside of Charity...not sure if Charity considers themselves Mennonite or not. I think not) I know do not practice anything close to patriarchy..

Anyway, I've been lurking here for about a year. I came here after reading the shocking stories on the NLQ sites.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask, in what way Mennonites are not patriarchal? You've already stated you feel the need to adopt modest dress.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask, in what way Mennonites are not patriarchal? You've already stated you feel the need to adopt modest dress.

All of the Mennonites I've ever known would never dress similar to the Duggar girls o.o They dressed like the Seven Sisters complete with homemade frumpers, white tennis shoes and lace head coverings. Are there different types of Mennonites or something?

Archived