IGNORED

Bates Courtship

singsingsing

I would not say poor Zach. He has the power to choose. Michaela did experience a caller but her parent thought she was too young. Zach could go out and 'find a suitor' for his sister. I think I read a blog when that is encourage. If anyone remembers a father who creepily described his daughter's wedding about her husband salvating and they run off to their car and something about not wanting to be bond to the government in marriage..that is the one.

What? What is that story? (and please can you explain what a "caller" (English is my second language so to me a caller is s.o who calls on the phone...) :D )

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? What is that story? (and please can you explain what a "caller" (English is my second language so to me a caller is s.o who calls on the phone...) :D )

I am not sunshine, but if I remember correctly on the 1 hour special about the Bates, the narrator said a young man was interested in a courtship with her when she was 16, but Gil and Kelly said no because of her age.

I would loooove to know if John Webster attended/is attending a brick & mortar college (like his dad did). I agree with the others--if a Bates girl has snagged a Congressman's son, the Duggar family must be having fits. Perhaps John & Alyssa will text for a while longer but not announce a courtship until she turns 19.

PS I pointed out in an earlier thread--in pictures from the Bates' kids recent visit to Rep. Webster's swearing in, some of the Webster family females are wearing pants. Woohoo! I need to walk by Rep. Webster's office this week so I can see what his female staff members are wearing.

A "caller" is a kind of old-fashioned term for a guy who's interested in dating a woman. He would "come calling", i.e. come visit, I think. (Also old-fashioned: the obvious sexism in this explanation. But I've only read the word in older books that are correspondingly old-fashioned/sexist.)

Back to topic-noticed that even during the "getting to know" phase, Kelly and Gil don't put the whole "6 inch rule", which is good. Glad to see them bend the courtship rule a bit. Like I said previously, they're still a bunch of crazies but at least they learned from Zach's failed courtship and allow their children to put in emotion in a relationship and not put too many "no touching" restrictions.

I am not a fan of the Bates family but I can give Gil and Kelly credit for some things and one is that they seem willing to learn from mistakes made and become more flexible about courtships. Given that Gil and Kelly did date before marriage, switching to the ATI-approved courtship model for their kids was new ground for them and it unfortunately proved to be a disaster. I do feel that Gil and Kelly really love their kids, so seeing this courtship flame out for Zach must have bothered them enough to question what went wrong and how to avoid it again.

How interesting-Kelly and Gil's two daughters have found someone (er, well, Alyssa is getting to know John), yet, Boob and Mullet can't get any of their daughters to find someone.

Correction, they're refusing to allow them to court since they rely way too much on them to help raise the little ones.

It's really very telling isn't it given both families have the same number of kids and in the same age ranges. Yet, Gil and Kelly are far more willing to let their grown kids go. I am sure the J'slaves have had guys interested in them but who knows how many courtship possiblities have been shot down. Also, word has probably gotten around to prospective suitors not to bother.

ETA: By courtship possiblities, I mean real, authentic possibilities. I am sure many of the letters JB has claimed proposing courtship are from fans that aren't meant to be taken seriously or shouldn't be.

A "caller" is a kind of old-fashioned term for a guy who's interested in dating a woman. He would "come calling", i.e. come visit, I think. (Also old-fashioned: the obvious sexism in this explanation. But I've only read the word in older books that are correspondingly old-fashioned/sexist.)

So that is a synonym for suitor and wooer I guess. Thank you very much because neither my 2 dictionnary nor my dear dear internet gave me then answer. :clap:

From what Kelly says in the comment there is a step before courtship. It will probably mean a very short "legal" courtship as they already seem very close .

Is anyone else wondering whether or not TLC is going to start regretting canceling the Bateses show and renewing the Duggars? I mean, nothing is happening with the Duggars, and now it seems that there might be two Bates Daughters getting married in the near future.

I thought Alyssa's outfit was cute (she looks good), but, to me, it seems way too "defrauding" for a fundie outfit. Was shocked to see her wearing high-heeled pumps, thought for sure it would be a fundie no-no.

Did TLC officially cancel it or did they just gave no news of a season 2? Anyway they'll probably make special episodes for at least Erin's wedding so maybe it could be the beginning of a season 2. The Duggar are a waste of money whereas the Bates are going to have more marriages and grand-children

I still can't get why none of the J'slave is married/in a courtship ... Selfish and heart-less parents !

And Alyssa's shoes are amazing ! She and her sis' look like two normal girls goind on a date ... So shocking! :D

Okay I know this is off topic, but does it drive anyone else crazy that no one knows who the mystery courter of Michaela was. I mean if she was too young, why didn't the guy just wait until she was older. Plus did Michaela know and I am curious what her response was. Also why do her siblings get to go to Crown College, but she is stuck doing College Plus? On topic I think it will be intresting to see how the family dynamics play out as the older ones get married.

Alyssa looks STUNNING! Am I even supposed to say this?! I love her dress and her shoes! Hair and makeup too. That's probably superficial and shallow of me but she looks like a star in those pictures. Someone said that Michaela might be interested in women, I don't think so. She's the textbook example of a materfamilias to me. She's cut out to be a wife and a mom. She's really beautiful too, and well, those young men courting her sisters SURE must have some bachelor brothers Michaela can be introduced to. She is just as pretty as her sisters and she comes off as a warm hearted, caring woman. If I was a man who wanted a family and a loving, caring wife, I'd go after someone like Michaela.

BTW mid-leg length dresses are way prettier than awful denim skirts. They never go out of fashion.

I agree with klf7412-- it is looking more and more like TLC bet on the wrong horse. They should have renewed the Bates show & sent them to Asia instead of the Duggars.

HereticHick wrote:

I agree with the others--if a Bates girl has snagged a Congressman's son, the Duggar family must be having fits.

I'm sure the Duggars have met many, if not most, of the top-echelon fundie bachelors by now but still no (known) courtship. I don't think they're trying to keep all the older daughters at home - the first part of the Davilla wedding special was like an ad for Jana. I feel bad for any of them who want to get married, and I suspect they all do.

klf7412 wrote:

Is anyone else wondering whether or not TLC is going to start regretting canceling the Bateses show and renewing the Duggars? I mean, nothing is happening with the Duggars, and now it seems that there might be two Bates Daughters getting married in the near future.

Doubt it. I'd expect the Bateses to have their weddings aired on the Duggar show, with the Duggars once again as prominent members of the wedding party.

Okay I know this is off topic, but does it drive anyone else crazy that no one knows who the mystery courter of Michaela was. I mean if she was too young, why didn't the guy just wait until she was older. Plus did Michaela know and I am curious what her response was. Also why do her siblings get to go to Crown College, but she is stuck doing College Plus? On topic I think it will be intresting to see how the family dynamics play out as the older ones get married.

I was wondering exactly the same. I only see two option :

1- mum and dad Bates were right to say no 'cause he wasn't such a good guy after all

2-he found another girl by the time she was old enough.

I think the family will do quite well (unlike what would happen if two Duggar girl-mom left) and that is why they are letting the girls go.

The comments on the blog are so nosy! Clearly the Bates leghumpers are as surprised as anyone by this John Webster showing up.

I'm sure the Duggars have met many, if not most, of the top-echelon fundie bachelors by now but still no (known) courtship. I don't think they're trying to keep all the older daughters at home - the first part of the Davilla wedding special was like an ad for Jana. I feel bad for any of them who want to get married, and I suspect they all do.

That is something I also thought of: that the Duggar girls would have met most of the most eligible fundie bachelors out there by now. The older ones are of marriageable age, yet there's nothing. I am willing to grant that there could be some reason other than JB and J'chelle trying to keep them at home (though this makes the most sense to me) but then what's going on? I don't doubt that some of them want to get married even if it means more years of raising kids and housework (at least it would be their own kids and their own house) but something else has to be going on here. Suitors intimidated by having to participate in the dog and pony show? JB being too picky? Suitor not making enough $$$ to keep Duggar daughter in the lifestyle she is accustomed? The girls could be seen as too high maintenance even in fundle land? These are some of the questions I have.

The comments on the blog are so nosy! Clearly the Bates leghumpers are as surprised as anyone by this John Webster showing up.

Inquiring minds do want to know. :lol:

Why anyone be surprise? See DC pic.

blog.thebatesfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/DCtrip-2013-012.jpg

I know most of you are over it, but Michaela is actually called Michael? I need to get over it. In their previous blog, I swear I remember she was Michaela. I'm all about unisex names like Madison, Cassidy, Taylor, Dennis, Dylan, Dakota etc, gender neutral names but I have to get used to Michael being used as a name for a girl. Probably won't take long, though : )

Please don't count me as a "leg humper" but I left a comment complimenting on Alyssa's looks. At least all the comments won't revolve around Erin's beauty like she was the only beautiful person in that family where all the girls look stunning or adorable.

Botkinettes must be heartsick about these courtships :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

This thought makes me gleeful. They are too damn smug...

The Duggar girls may be pretty, but to me anyway, they seem more frumpy (shapeless skirts and flip flops) and almost less clean (Jana has nice hair, but the rest seem to need a good wash and brush) than the Bates girls. That, and by the time Michelle is ready to let her minions go, there's really no hope for the Duggar girls.

I wish the Bates girls all the luck. They look really happy.

I hope Alyssa is courting. I hope they announce it really soon.

Michelle and Boob will explode when they hear it. Now we just need Kelly to get pregnant and J'chelle will really go crazy!

Archived