IGNORED

Bates Courtship

singsingsing

livingthejourney.com/2010/10/23/merciful-and-mighty/

I have no idea who paid, maybe they did some exchange thingy? Erins piano skills for some journey fun for her and sisters.

All brainfucking aside, this place looks beautiful! Too bad Got hard set his bootcamps in such a beautiful scenery!

livingthejourney.com/photos/march-2009-journey-%E2%80%94-girls/

Here are some pictures of said jouney!

(Edited because I'm a scatterbrain)

I know the Bates have a book with Gothard and do speaking engagements, so they probably go free.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the family's website, Erin is the only Bates child in a courtship right now. John Webster (seen with Alyssa) is alot closer in age to Michaela. Maybe she feels like she's been passed over. Who cares if she's got more curves than her petite younger sisters? She looks like a sweet Christian young lady who would be a great mom someday. Alyssa is young, flirty, and talkative. There is a big age gap between John & Alyssa, would he really wait around that long until she's ready for marriage?

I like the fact that the Bateses don't pressure the entire family into music, lining them up on stage as a huge group, regardless of skill level. I know that a few of the Bates girls play the violin as well as Erin on the piano, but I don't think the Bateses are as obsessed about everyone doing everything together 24/7 like the Duggars are. I'd rather watch the Bateses' show than the Duggars', but it would be hard to come up with new supersized family scenarios that we haven't already seen with 19K&C.

I think what makes the Bates a little more likable to some people is the fact that they seem to have a few more brain cells than the Duggars. Additionally the parents don't pretend to know everything about anything. Plus, Kelly sems a little more down to earth than Michelle. I don't like them still since they have horrible beliefs but I can see why some people like them more.

I don't know...but Alyssa always reminds me of Jeanne Triplehorn.

Eh, not necessarily. If I remember correctly, the Webster family believes in whatever Gothard preaches and even his wife has admitted to using ATI's homeschool curriculum to teach their 6 children.

factcheck.org/2010/10/grayson-gets-it-right/

Holy Moses! The article referenced above is from October 2010, and look who FactCkeck.org spoke to at IBLP:

We spoke to David Waller at the Institute in Basic Life Principles to get some clarification. He said there is no blanket policy statement that applies to every situation. "A mother’s role, Biblically speaking, is to take care of her children and to support her husband — if those are being met and she is able to take on jobs as well, we fully support that," Waller said. The institute fully supports widows and single mothers working outside the home, he added.

Waller later e-mailed us to say that he believes the Grayson ad misrepresents the teachings of the institute. "We simply encourage mothers to keep their family a priority," he wrote.

I'm glad widows and single mothers are allowed to work outside the home. But I wonder, how many single mothers are actively involved in IBLP. Thanks for lying clarifying that.

I like the fact that the Bateses don't pressure the entire family into music, lining them up on stage as a huge group, regardless of skill level. I .

:?

I just had to click on that link! Oh my ears!

I think what makes the Bates a little more likable to some people is the fact that they seem to have a few more brain cells than the Duggars. Additionally the parents don't pretend to know everything about anything. Plus, Kelly sems a little more down to earth than Michelle. I don't like them still since they have horrible beliefs but I can see why some people like them more.

I don't know...but Alyssa always reminds me of Jeanne Triplehorn.

I think the Bates are considerably more likeable than the Duggers because they don't act as phony. Yes, Erin's hair is somewhat unfathomable, but she probably like it that way. (Whatever, it's JUST hair. Dye it blue, if you want, it doesn't alter the content of your character.) They are a cute couple, and at least Erin's father agreed that someone could even court his daughter. we sure haven't seen anything like that from Jim Boob!

Just because they do things differently than the Duggars, doesn't make them more likable. They are still hateful, oppressive fundies who follow Gothard.

Just because they do things differently than the Duggars, doesn't make them more likable. They are still hateful, oppressive fundies who follow Gothard.

Yes, this. I think they might be marginally more likeable because we have seen them less so there's less to snark on. All the things I find truly objectionable about the Duugars; support of right wing political whack-a-doodles who want to cut back social programs and abortion rights, crappy homeschooling, the rigid gender roles, the extreme restrictions placed on all their children, the disdain they have for everyone not exactly like them, their support of ATI, etc, they have in common with the Bates. If you look at all the really bad stuff there is very little between difference between the two families. The only thing I like better about the Bates family is their accent and that is incredibly superficial as are most of the things that make them marginally more likeable.

Yes, this. I think they might be marginally more likeable because we have seen them less so there's less to snark on. All the things I find truly objectionable about the Duugars; support of right wing political whack-a-doodles who want to cut back social programs and abortion rights, crappy homeschooling, the rigid gender roles, the extreme restrictions placed on all their children, the disdain they have for everyone not exactly like them, their support of ATI, etc, they have in common with the Bates. If you look at all the really bad stuff there is very little between difference between the two families. The only thing I like better about the Bates family is their accent and that is incredibly superficial as are most of the things that make them marginally more likeable.

Totally agree. I do find them a bit more likeable than the Duggars but not by much. At the core, they are the same type of people. They both support ATI and they both have the same hateful and intolerant beliefs. Yes, Kelly is more involved with her kids than J'chelle, but in a family these large, the older kids still have to step up and help raise the siblings even if they are not employing the Duggar's "buddy" system. Yes, the older Bates kids are allowed getting some education and Erin is going to college. This is something that the Duggars aren't doing (how can the older kids do College Minus with their travel schedule?), but the schools and programs are not accredited and who knows if the education obtained and "degrees" will count for much both in the real and even the fundie world. Yes, Gil and Kelly are allowing one daughter (and possibly another) to court and really get to know and like their suitors, but it's still pushing the women toward one and only goal: marriage and lots of children. The few better things about them come with a lot of "buts".

Edited for clarification

• 5 weeks later...

On the Bates' website, under 'about our family' it says

Michael completed her EMT schooling, and is currently taking on-line courses and working with College Plus to complete her degree. She is employed as a nanny and thoroughly enjoys spending her time holding babies. She’s actively involved in the volunteer fire department, assisting with medical needs. Her favorite hobby is sewing dresses for her younger siblings. She’s a friend to all and has a huge heart!

Does that mean Michaela (Michael, whatever... am confused by her name) is employed outside the home? :o Might explain why she's not in a courtship as yet...

Wow! I'm glad that Michaela is being given opportunities outside of the home, but I wish she had the opportunity to get some education like her sister. I don't know much about Crown College, but I'm sure it's better than College Plus. I really hope she finds someone soon- I would hate to see such a sweet girl, who seems to want to be a wife and mother more than her younger sisters, become a permanent SAHD.

Speaking of Clown College, if Erin's graduating this year, her commencement is probably today. How long do you think it will be before we have an engagement announcement?

Yay Michael :) Its great that she is allowed to work outside the home and put her love of children to good use in something she can actually get paid for :) I think she would make a good mother.

I think Kelly mentioned that Erin graduates in December, so I guess it got pushed back. No judgment from me on that front - I've delayed or otherwise revised my own graduation date too many times. Kelly said that the wedding date will be sometime after Erin graduates... whether they actually get engaged before that is anyone's guess.

Erin gave Chad a surprise visit on his birthday. Chad posted photo of Erin holding a fry pan, symbolic maybe of who is in control? Like the photo of her leading him by his tie, taken on their special date.

I like the pictures Chad posted for his birthday with Erin. Her hair is straightened and looks very nice. I wonder if they have held hands, hugged, kissed but not posted pictures of them doing that? They do seem to love each other.

I suspect that people might have seen these pictures already but just in case here's a link :

fanpageofthebatesfamily.blogspot.ca/2013/01/how-chad-and-erin-started-their.html

I like the pictures Chad posted for his birthday with Erin. Her hair is straightened and looks very nice. I wonder if they have held hands, hugged, kissed but not posted pictures of them doing that? They do seem to love each other.

Kelly Bates definitely made it clear on their blog (I think she wrote it) that they've "chosen" not to even hold hands.

Kelly Bates definitely made it clear on their blog (I think she wrote it) that they've "chosen" not to even hold hands.

Ok so they have "chosen" to not hold hands but Erin has "chosen" to call him "sweetheart" when she responded to one of his blog posts. I have an issue with that. It just doesn't seem ok to call each other puppy love names and not at least hold hands. I guess they will decide once the he puts a ring on it ;)

I was just reading Chad's blog - Erin is answering questions under his profile. Looks like he's already handed over Internet accountability along with his passwords.

I'm honestly surprised that these two haven't announced their engagement yet.

Erin gave Chad a surprise visit on his birthday. Chad posted photo of Erin holding a fry pan, symbolic maybe of who is in control? Like the photo of her leading him by his tie, taken on their special date.
:o :o :o :o

Hmmmm....this seems like pretty dominant behaviour for Erin to me. I quite like it!!!!! :D Maybe there's still some hope that her personality won't be completely destroyed under his "umbrella of authority."

Archived