IGNORED

Bates Courtship

singsingsing

Pretty sure Michaela is called Michaela and Michael is used as a nickname. As for the Bates girls looking less frumpy, I think Kelly Bates is a more hands-on parent than Michelle and the Bates girls have more time for their own interests rather than being sister moms to the same extent as the J'slaves. Jana may look less hot than Erin but Jana has a far less happy life.

Tbh my own style is far more Duggar than Bates, I don't do high heels or dressy clothes. I draw the line at flip-flops (I need shoes with arch support and usually wear Dr Martens haha) but I happily wear denim maxi skirts. They may be frumpy but they're comfy!

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure Michaela is called Michaela and Michael is used as a nickname. As for the Bates girls looking less frumpy, I think Kelly Bates is a more hands-on parent than Michelle and the Bates girls have more time for their own interests rather than being sister moms to the same extent as the J'slaves. Jana may look less hot than Erin but Jana has a far less happy life.

Tbh my own style is far more Duggar than Bates, I don't do high heels or dressy clothes. I draw the line at flip-flops (I need shoes with arch support and usually wear Dr Martens haha) but I happily wear denim maxi skirts. They may be frumpy but they're comfy!

No she's called Michael but nicknamed Michaela (pronounced Michael-la.) She was originally named Michal (someone in the Bible) and then they realised said person was bad and decided to change her name, which was very expensive but it was fairly cheap to just change the spelling, so that's what they did.

To be fair the Bates girls were very frumpy until they got more air-time on the Duggars' show - all the girls wore frumpers. They've definitely had a makeover too. I actually like both styles of dress, the way Erin and Alyssa were dressed is the style I tend to wear when going out. :)

Please don't count me as a "leg humper" but I left a comment complimenting on Alyssa's looks. At least all the comments won't revolve around Erin's beauty like she was the only beautiful person in that family where all the girls look stunning or adorable.

I don't think I'd count any FJer as a true leghumper. I think that is reserved for starstruck fundies or wannabe fundies who think the sun shines out of Kelly's ass. I think I may have generalised a bit.

Sorry! I wasn't meaning to trash long skirts - you should see my closet. :D It's more that they don't look like they fit well or are put together with any thought of how shirt and skirt work together.

To be fair the Bates girls were very frumpy until they got more air-time on the Duggars' show - all the girls wore frumpers. They've definitely had a makeover too. I actually like both styles of dress, the way Erin and Alyssa were dressed is the style I tend to wear when going out. :)

And yeah, looking back the Bates have improved. More proof I guess as to how they're more open/adaptive than the Duggars in some ways.

Sorry! I wasn't meaning to trash long skirts - you should see my closet. :D It's more that they don't look like they fit well or are put together with any thought of how shirt and skirt work together.

And yeah, looking back the Bates have improved. More proof I guess as to how they're more open/adaptive than the Duggars in some ways.

I like the way the Duggars dress now . On the Anderson show just now they all looked very stylish, and the little kids are dressed so fashionably. If you look back to the frumper days .. wow, huge change.

The Duggars did change from frumpers, and it was referred to as "selling out".

I only think of it as selling out because the Duggars are still spouting the same party line of "buy used etc" when they obviously aren't. I'm glad the J'slaves look moderately fashionable:)

The Duggar girls may be pretty, but to me anyway, they seem more frumpy (shapeless skirts and flip flops) and almost less clean (Jana has nice hair, but the rest seem to need a good wash and brush) than the Bates girls. That, and by the time Michelle is ready to let her minions go, there's really no hope for the Duggar girls.

I wish the Bates girls all the luck. They look really happy.

I think that the Bates kids in general look healthier than the Duggars, especially the older ones and especially the boys. They don't have that bloated 'I just ate a week's worth of sodium and refined carbs in one serving of tater tot casserole' look. I will admit that I don't know the Bates eating habits, so maybe they just tolerate it better. I'm not saying the Duggar kids are overweight at all. They just look kinda....grey.

bluelady wrote:

I think that the Bates kids in general look healthier than the Duggars, especially the older ones and especially the boys. They don't have that bloated 'I just ate a week's worth of sodium and refined carbs in one serving of tater tot casserole' look. I will admit that I don't know the Bates eating habits, so maybe they just tolerate it better. I'm not saying the Duggar kids are overweight at all. They just look kinda....grey.

Some of the older Bates boys are tree surgeons with their dad, which would help offset an unfortunate diet. I don't know what the Bateses regularly eat either but I suspect it's at least halfway decent. When their show was on I remember a pasta meal the parents served that looked good. I'm guessing they eat more fruits and veggies and not so much canned and fast food.

They spend too much time indoors. If I had all those wild howlers, they would be playing outside every day unless there's a blizzard or a hurricane. But the Duggars run and climb all over the house and play foursquare in the living room. I know there's a rec room in that house, but we never see anybody using it anymore. But even with that, the kids should be outside getting fresh air.

Why anyone be surprise? See DC pic.

blog.thebatesfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/DCtrip-2013-012.jpg

HAREM ALERT!!

... *cough*

There are new photos of Erin and Chad on the Bates Family website. Erin's clothes are looking very modern. Somehow I don't think hot pink and black are a colour scheme Gothard would approve of for a virginal young lady, but I actually think she looks cute (even if the hair looks over styled). This couple looks very physically comfortable with one another, they seem to be standing quite close, and there's an obvious attraction... So I wonder when the big day will be and if there will be TLC special.

First post, long time lurker!

I was just wondering, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but have the Bates children ever been sent to ALERT or JTTH? It seems like the Duggar kids are always being shipped off to them but I can't recall ever hearing the same about the Bates. Just curious, maybe this ties in with their *slightly* more liberal outlook?

I was just wondering, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but have the Bates children ever been sent to ALERT or JTTH? It seems like the Duggar kids are always being shipped off to them but I can't recall ever hearing the same about the Bates. Just curious, maybe this ties in with their *slightly* more liberal outlook?

Good question. My guess would be no, as they don't have the money.

Welcome to FJ!

Yes they attended Journey to the Heart, on the blog "Living the Journey" they have a link that don't exist anymore since they changed their URL from gilbatesfamily to thebatesfamily and so it became obsolete. But there are some google hits and Kelly wrote about her anniversary Hawaii trip something about JTTH. Don't know about alert, and don't bother to google for now ;)

Yeah, I'm not worried for Erin on the wedding night either. Judging from the pictures they can barely control themselves.

That won't be some creep Josh/Anna thing as they both learned about birds and bees a few hours earlier. But now that they are courting, is the kissing thing still a "no no no" because I don't think that they can resist until the summer ... ?

Yes, they have. I saw an interview with them and they were talking about the fact that at the conference the girls do boring stuff (interviewers words pretty much) like cook, watch children, etc. & the boys get to do more physical outdoor stuff. The interviewer asked them something like did the girls ever want to do what the boys were doing cause it looked fun and Kelley said they had never said, but if they did they would think about it. God, I know way too much about them.

I think those comments were specifically about activities at the Big Sandy conference, but yes, those comments were very telling.

this quick promo for the greg howlett instructional DVDs scratched my eardrums

i know it's a Tennessee thing -- that draaaaawwwllll

Yes, they have. I saw an interview with them and they were talking about the fact that at the conference the girls do boring stuff (interviewers words pretty much) like cook, watch children, etc. & the boys get to do more physical outdoor stuff. The interviewer asked them something like did the girls ever want to do what the boys were doing cause it looked fun and Kelley said they had never said, but if they did they would think about it. God, I know way too much about them.

Are you sure about that? I was almost positive that she said something along the lines of "Yes! They say they wish they could do the rock climbing.... It needs to be requested! (that the girls can do the boys stuff)"

:doh: You know, I think you're right. That interview was a while ago, and between the Arndt family and Dede and EGG, my brain must be scrambled.

eta We both seem to know too much about them :lol:

:doh: You know, I think you're right. That interview was a while ago, and between the Arndt family and Dede and EGG, my brain must be scrambled.

eta We both seem to know too much about them :lol:

:lol: Yep!

Archived