IGNORED

Bates Courtship

singsingsing

as a half-Scot living in Scotland, that made me want to tear my hair out. His faux Scottish accent is appalling ^^

I wouldn't have even realized that's what he was trying for if you hadn't said that... :lol: He just sounds... nasally.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a half-Scot living in Scotland, that made me want to tear my hair out. His faux Scottish accent is appalling ^^

As a musician, this made me want to tear my hair out -- Turley singing through the nose, often out of tune, and with such an "aren't I wonderful?" manner.

Philips wasn't as arrogant-looking.

In editing together whatever they used (clearly a track of just Turley singing, and two films, in different locations and with different outfits -- I guess so viewers would be reassured that they do, indeed, wear pants!), whoever put this together seems to have eliminated Josh Phillips' voice, which makes him look odd and pitiful, moving his mouth sometimes, and nothing coming out.

As a musician, this made me want to tear my hair out -- Turley singing through the nose, often out of tune, and with such an "aren't I wonderful?" manner.

absolutely. yuck.

About time-stamp 1:17 the camera pans back a little and you can tell they are wearing kilts. I can't believe these guys are wearing "skirts!" And us ladies can't wear pants?

Yes, I know that real men do wear kilts. Just thought the imagery was funny.

Except Turley is wearing his without a sporran. Big no no. You're making it a skirt, sweetcheeks.

Having heard a plethora of crap Scots accents in my time, his has to be one of the worst. Why did he think that it would be needed?

I guess the VF'ers have bought into the whole fetish the US has with "England" right now... although I thought Scotland was exempt to that because it wasn't as "cultured". :roll: Not to sound snobbish or that I am an expert on UK culture, because I am still an American, but ever since I studied abroad in Glasgow people imitating any type of British accent has become one of my biggest pet peeves. It usually makes you sound stupid, not "refined" or whatever people think "the British" are.

(snip for brevity)

I guess the VF'ers have bought into the whole fetish the US has with "England" right now... although I thought Scotland was exempt to that because it wasn't as "cultured". :roll: Not to sound snobbish or that I am an expert on UK culture, because I am still an American, but ever since I studied abroad in Glasgow people imitating any type of British accent has become one of my biggest pet peeves. It usually makes you sound stupid, not "refined" or whatever people think "the British" are.

You mean you weren't totally convinced by Mel Gibson's Scottish Irish whatever the hell that was accent in "Braveheart"? :lol:

I live in Edinburgh, the amount of American tourists we get who claim they are Scottish is ridiculous, not even of Scottish heritage, but full on "Scotch". I usually suggest a walk to the bottom of Leith Walk.

On topic, Chad's quite fit.

We're a rough land, don't you know, beauty of the countryside an' a', where a man can be a man still (in my head I am saying this with the broadest Scots accent I can muster ^^) I guess that attracts the fundies.

off topic: yay Glasgow! my city. And its very very special accent :D

I live in Edinburgh, the amount of American tourists we get who claim they are Scottish is ridiculous, not even of Scottish heritage, but full on "Scotch". I usually suggest a walk to the bottom of Leith Walk.

On topic, Chad's quite fit.

What? Don't you have to be from a country in order to claim more then just descent. Many of my ancestors were from Ireland and I'm proud of my Irish heritage, but I'm an American. If I went to Ireland, I wouldn't claim that I was Irish. That would be just silly.

What? Don't you have to be from a country in order to claim more then just descent. Many of my ancestors were from Ireland and I'm proud of my Irish heritage, but I'm an American. If I went to Ireland, I wouldn't claim that I was Irish. That would be just silly.

you'd think so, but the amount of Americans who will say "OH my GOSH! I'm Scottish too!" is really quite overwhelming. "I have Scottish ancestors", cool. but no no. they're Scottish/Irish. Never English, funnily enough. Probably not Rock n Roll enough.

you'd think so, but the amount of Americans who will say "OH my GOSH! I'm Scottish too!" is really quite overwhelming. "I have Scottish ancestors", cool. but no no. they're Scottish/Irish. Never English, funnily enough. Probably not Rock n Roll enough.

Wait, Wait! I'm English! (Well, really the majority of my ancestors were from Cornwall not England, but still...) :lol:

Maybe they're using it in the sense of an ethnicity? I can imagine people I know calling themselves Polish or German or whatever, and it's understood that they are talking about their ethnic origins and not their citizenship.

I always refer to myself as "a member of #### clan" but never as a Scot. (Parents are Scottish but I've never been there. I am a member of the Australian branch of my clan.) I hope this passes as acceptable to the real Scots out there? :D

I have a couple of questions for Dougie and his dressups ....

(1) If you are going to play dress ups, why don't you do it properly? Sporrans are not optional extras when wearing a kilt. Petticoats must be worn under skirts so that hoops do not show. Ladies always wore hats. Ann Boleyn's dresses left NOTHING to the imagination.

(2) Kilts are not modest. From the front, I can see your knees. From the back ... have you ever seen yourselves from the back? Let me just tell you that despite what you have been told, women can be aroused by the sight of a man and a mans butt looks really sexy in a kilt. I have known my husband for over twenty years and watching him dance in that kilt still turns me on and still guarantees him a good night afterwards. Too much information? Well, remember that next time you put one on!

(3) Kilts are mens clothes and I have no problem with you wearing them. Question... when your daughters/sisters visit Canada, are they allowed to wear trousers? My research shows that Inuit women traditionally wear trousers.

No because Gothard will get mad and they will have to go to the journey. Gothard is in charge of most of these families without the responsibility of having to provide for them. JimBob and Gil are only secondary heads of their family's, just look at who's rules they insanely follow; not from the Bible, as much as they say it is but we know better.

Wait, Wait! I'm English! (Well, really the majority of my ancestors were from Cornwall not England, but still...) :lol:

Yay, Cornwall! If your ancestors are from there then you aren't English, for sure :mrgreen:

I am unashamedly Cornish. My husband is American, and when we go to the US, conversations with strangers/extended family go like this:

person: "oh, I love your accent, are you English?"

me: "no, I'm Cornish"

me: "we were a separate country but then some slightly constitutionally dodgy treaties and colonialism happened, and now we're generally seen as part of England, but on the most we don't want to be"

person: "I have a friend from Ireland too!"

:roll:

The Irish tourism industry has thrived for years on Americans coming to find their old homestead. Or if its a pile of stones now, they'll invariably find some distant cousins. Like Obama! He has a rake of distant cousins in county Offaly. I have some second cousins who are second generation Americans who firmly consider themselves Irish. Despite never having been here. But that's ok! We are very proud that our culture touches nearly all parts of the globe. You can't go near the west coast in summer without running into bus loads of Americans, Bags of Aran sweaters, boxes of Waterford crystal and flat caps swinging out of their arms, sucking down Irish coffee and loving every minute!

You'll be the height of fashion among 16 year old American tumblr users then, who wish they were "british", since all our men are clearly like Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman or Matthew McFadyen. And we all live in Downton Abbey.

Maybe they're using it in the sense of an ethnicity? I can imagine people I know calling themselves Polish or German or whatever, and it's understood that they are talking about their ethnic origins and not their citizenship.

I'm sure they do, but what is wrong with just being American? especially if the level of your Scottish or whatever else ethnicity is that you had ancestors there 150 years ago. I wouldn't call myself Polish on that basis, even though my ancestors from that time lived in what is now Poland.

I always refer to myself as "a member of #### clan" but never as a Scot. (Parents are Scottish but I've never been there. I am a member of the Australian branch of my clan.) I hope this passes as acceptable to the real Scots out there? :D
of course ^^ not that anyone pays much attention to clans, really.

(2) Kilts are not modest. From the front, I can see your knees. From the back ... have you ever seen yourselves from the back? Let me just tell you that despite what you have been told, women can be aroused by the sight of a man and a mans butt looks really sexy in a kilt. I have known my husband for over twenty years and watching him dance in that kilt still turns me on and still guarantees him a good night afterwards. Too much information? Well, remember that next time you put one on!

QFT

to bring this back on topic:

how cute is Chad's tiny little " I <3 Erin " at the bottom of his post about going to Bolivia? They actually act like people who genuinely like each other.

I think you are right, and in the US I think it does have that implied meaning... since heritage can still be a big thing here, even generations down the line. If I was talking to another American we'd probably exchange "I'm Irish" and "I'm Italian" without ever having lived in either of those countries and both understand that it means our family heritage/ethnicity. But abroad, it would be really weird for me to meet someone from Ireland and be all, "I'm Irish too!" That's a different context and outside America, it means that you actually live in that country. I've always identified myself as "American" abroad.

After I typed that I realized that I've referred to my neighbor's son as Italian even thought his father's ancestors immigrated from Italy a long time ago. I also have an Irish girls rock t-shirt that I wear with a lot of pride. But I still would never tell a person born in Ireland that I was Irish because I'd assume he/she wouldn't consider me Irish.

The Irish tourism industry has thrived for years on Americans coming to find their old homestead. Or if its a pile of stones now, they'll invariably find some distant cousins. Like Obama! He has a rake of distant cousins in county Offaly. I have some second cousins who are second generation Americans who firmly consider themselves Irish. Despite never having been here. But that's ok! We are very proud that our culture touches nearly all parts of the globe. You can't go near the west coast in summer without running into bus loads of Americans, Bags of Aran sweaters, boxes of Waterford crystal and flat caps swinging out of their arms, sucking down Irish coffee and loving every minute!

This is one of my many Irish ancestors. For some reason, Irish people found my grandmother's ancestors highly attractive because there are a lot of Irish people intermarrying within her family.

Connor Dowd came to America from Ireland, long before the Revolution. While a boy in County

Cavan, he learned from his family how to bleach the linen cloth that people wove in their homes

and then sold to the “linen bleachers.†In 1754 his mother gave him some of her linen to start a

business in America. He took it to North Carolina and used it to go into business as a peddler, as

salesmen were called in those days

One day, I might visit County Caven. It would make me happy to no end to discover a relative.

On my biological father's side of the family, his grandparents were from Ireland too but I have less information about them.

Yeah, I'm proud of my Irish heritage.

This is one of my many Irish ancestors. For some reason, Irish people found my grandmother's ancestors highly attractive because there are a lot of Irish people intermarrying within her family.

One day, I might visit County Caven. It would make me happy to no end to discover a relative.

On my biological father's side of the family, his grandparents were from Ireland too but I have less information about them.

Yeah, I'm proud of my Irish heritage.

That's really interesting! Cavan is the northernmost part of the republic and very republican being on the border. Weaving and cloth making was the traditional cottage industry in the north. It's a county that would have been (and to some extent still is) beset by emigration and unemployment. It has some beautiful scenery. Lots of lakes. Cavan people have a reputation (jokey stereotype) of being tight bastards!

You'll be the height of fashion among 16 year old American tumblr users then, who wish they were "british", since all our men are clearly like Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman or Matthew McFadyen. And we all live in Downton Abbey.

Ok, I'm not into Downton Abbey yet (guess I'm the last person alive:) but if you could find me a country populated solely by Cumberbatches, Freemans, and McFadyans with a few Firths and Rickmans thrown in, I'd move there immediately:)

Also, I really like the way Chad expresses his feelings for Erin...they are far less squicky & uncomfortable than most we see.

Edited for riffles

After I typed that I realized that I've referred to my neighbor's son as Italian even thought his father's ancestors immigrated from Italy a long time ago. I also have an Irish girls rock t-shirt that I wear with a lot of pride. But I still would never tell a person born in Ireland that I was Irish because I'd assume he/she wouldn't consider me Irish.

Agreed. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who don't feel this way, but I get the sense that a lot of us have a need to identify with some sort of more enduring cultural heritage than just the past couple hundred years. I certainly do, which is why I've spent a decent amount of time playing around with genealogy from time to time. I'm fortunate enough to have had a great-aunt who was an accomplished amateur genealogist, so at least for half of my family tree, I know that, going back to the 16th century, I'm a mix of Irish/Scottish/German/Dutch/English, with a tiny bit of Swedish thrown in. Not enough of any one thing for me to ever say "I'm Irish" or "I'm Irish-American," but I've nonetheless been one of those American tourists in Ireland feeling a deep connection to the land where at least some of my ancestors came from. It definitely gave me a special feeling I wouldn't have gotten from visiting a country my family doesn't have roots in. (And, on a separate note, I freaking loved it there and would move there in a heartbeat!)

Ok, now I really want to go to Ireland and I'm an American of German ancestry. :)

Archived