IGNORED

Post a youtube

JesusFightClub

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's uproar over this Alan Ryan funeral. The RIRA are the ones responsible for the Omagh bomb.

Yeah, I know about Omagh - I should do, I had a whole wall of pictures of the before and after. It's actually, without meaning to sound unfeeling, quite an interesting situation which happened there.

Does anybody else find it hilariously ironic that The Wolfe Tones are named after a fella who was Presbyterian?

RIRA are a sick joke that nobody finds funny anymore.

The ones I know tend to come from the more...violent end of the spectrum, Jaynie, so I knew Irishy would be able to give you much better ideas.

Christy Moore is also worth looking into, and I would say if you walked into any republican pub in Scotland you would expected to know The Fields of Athenrye (the whole pub will sing along to that, you better too) and Come out ye Black and Tans. If you go into some pubs you'll get "Up the 'RA" which despite its vaguely suggestive name is not a song about shagging members of the IRA :oops: There are actually two versions of this, and it's technically illegal in Scotland because it's classed under "sectarian hatred" very strangely as it's not about that. It has a rather bad reputation, but my understanding is the coppers know when to say "I never heard owt" and stroll nonchalantly away.

People say "'RA" as a small word, usually for the Provos, and "Oglach" which means like "Volunteer". If someone dies they are Oglach [whatever their name was] anyway. Here is Oglach Alan Ryan, who was RIRA (and I hope I can fucking get this embedding nonsense right for once).

2Uh5V7G8Geo

I hasten to point out the RIRA are, well, what they are, and this from me is no message of support. Irishy will be able to explain this better than me. You can also note the colour party (the guys, and I think at least one woman, with berets and covered faces).

It also may be helpful to know the difference between the stickies (Official IRA) and the Provos (Provisional IRA) but it depends how much detail you want to put into this.

Thank you muchly JFC! That is helpful, though like I said it's very preliminary so even I don't know how much detail I'm wanting to put into it! The terminology is very helpful though, even just as a starting point (and to make my google history look slightly less conspicuous, lol). I do, however, know that I will be spending my newly-free time (yay end of semester!) listening through a bunch of these songs -- and then probably getting them stuck in my head and humming at inopportune times, if I know me. :lol:

Hehehehe! I do that too ;)

If you would like to know more terms or a bit more background, I'm sure myself, or especially Irishy or Aisling can help you. For me, I know how it's affected Scotland, having grown up with that. I also can do some historical background and some weaponry issues, but hasten to add I'm no expert. I just maintain a watching brief, as we bureaucrats say.

Irishy or Aisling will know more than me. It sounds like a very interesting project and I'm intrigued to hear more about it, especially as this is an interest of mine.

Fucking hell, the bloke suspected of Alan Ryan's murder was shot dead today, not a million miles from me. I literally drove past the crime scene this evening. Another dead scumbag drug dealing paramilitary. No bad thing.

Shit! Linkage?

This is relevant to my interests (and I have no computer - I'm borrowing someone else's)

Was it not one of his kids who was found dead in the mountains a few years ago and they thought at first it was the body of the Annie McCarrick girl? or am i thinking of something else?

In other news, riots outside Belfast City Hall because of a daft flag. Our mother Eire is ever young... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, this thread! I haven't been able to shake this Nirvana/Ray Conniff mashup for weeks:

IFSbAjB-asU

• 1 month later...
Here you go. Ryan Adams, genious. This song is particularly addictive.

HN-wHU2f_jg

I wondered if FG has a music thread! Bump! I love music and I look forward to listening to some songs I've never heard before.

Ryan Adams is indeed a genius. My all-time favorite singer-songwriter. I really love alt-country. Here's some unreleased Ryan Adams:

Gt5l6M0Shrw

Archived