IGNORED

Obama: "Rape is Rape. It Is A Crime"

happy atheist

He can't force it through.

Edit: and again, this was a balancing test for me. If the country can recover economically, gay marriage will eventually be legalized.

The next president is going to appoint three supreme court justices. This new court will likely hear a round of Roe V Wade arguments and challenges to much of the anti woman legislation moving forward in many states. I'm amazed that a nebulous republican economic plan was more important than ensuring woman maintained legal autonomy over their lives, bodies and income.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next president is going to appoint three supreme court justices. This new court will likely hear a round of Roe V Wade arguments and challenges to much of the anti woman legislation moving forward in many states. I'm amazed that a nebulous republican economic plan was more important than ensuring woman maintained legal autonomy over their lives, bodies and income.

Not sure how many ways I can say this to make it clear: economics aren't more important than a woman's right to choose. If the economy completely collapses, women won't have a right to choose then either.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding. It's looking like a Romney win.

Did you really just say that?

Well that's ok then. End of discussion :lol:

Do you think Obama Is a clear win? I guess we'll see. I really don't follow a lot of polls.

So what are you basing your "looks like a Romney win" statement on? Granted, polls aren't foolproof, but short of the election actually happening, they're our best source of information. Nate Silver, who has pretty much nailed the last two or three elections, has Obama at a ~73-4% chance of an electoral college victory.

ETA: The poll you cited is a national poll. If the 2000 election taught us anything, it's that national polls mean zip. Lack of meaning aside, the Gallup poll is by far an outlier among other national polls.

So what are you basing your "looks like a Romney win" statement on? Granted, polls aren't foolproof, but short of the election actually happening, they're our best source of information. Nate Silver, who has pretty much nailed the last two or three elections, has Obama at a ~73-4% chance of an electoral college victory.

I edited to link to a Gallup poll. It would be hilarious if Romney won the popular vote and Obama won the electoral college (and yes I realize that would mean my guy was out, I just think it would be great to watch how both sides spun it after all the insanity after the bush win in 2000).

It's definitely not "no big deal" and I never said that. I said I think the bigger, more immediate deal is our collapsing economy and the fact that if the economy completely collapses, whether you have civil rights guaranteed to you on a piece of paper is not going to matter.

Supply side economics worked under Reagan, right? And really - is obama's plan working? This is the slowest recovery In modern history. Why do you think it will get any better with another 4 years?

So would you have voted for Mitt if he had said he didn't support interacial marriage? If he had said that, would you still value the economy more than having a president who isn't racist?

So would you have voted for Mitt if he had said he didn't support interacial marriage? If he had said that, would you still value the economy more than having a president who isn't racist?

I've answers this question so many times I'm not sure how else to say it to make it clear. I don't value the economy over having a president who isn't racist/homophobic/whatever. I see our country in grave danger, obviously I'm a lot more worried about it than most people here. If the economy collapses and the country falls apart it won't matter if you have "rights" because there will be no government to back them up. I'm for stabilizing the economy and then voting in the guys who will fight for our rights. If I thought Obama could turn the economy around, I'd be voting for him again.

Also you know Obama was opposed to same sex marriage last time he ran, right? Did you all just write in another candidate in 2008?

Actually I was still a Republican in 2008. LOL

So you would have voted for Mitt if he was openly a racist? Is that what you are saying?

I'm worried about the economy too. Did you hear Mitt's speach praising Chinese sweat shops? Yeah, I don't think a guy like that is going to help us.

And really - is obama's plan working? This is the slowest recovery In modern history. Why do you think it will get any better with another 4 years?

The depression in the 1930's didn't get better until after WWII, it took nearly 20 years before everything was "normal" why do you think that this mess is going to be a quick recovery?

And I do see it getting better- I sell stuff online and at a farmer's market in addition to my day job. Sales have picked up in the last 6 months.

Not sure how many ways I can say this to make it clear: economics aren't more important than a woman's right to choose. If the economy completely collapses, women won't have a right to choose then either.

deregulation IS the cause of the economic crisis. Want to do more of that? Why on earth?

The economy IS getting better. Looked at the news recently? Job creation is on the up side.

I think you are falling for a fear mongering discourse that pretends without any proofs, or any examples (what did Obama do that was so wrong?) that the black guy is messing up. But hey who needs any proof when you know the guy is not white and all that is needed is a stronger leadership (that's Romney's plan in the last debate)?

Considering your lack of knowledge on the Israel situation, I'd advise again to read up a bit, and not Fox News. And do give a read of those books I mentioned, they were suggested by someone who studies the issue (and no he is not a democrat - far from it).

ETA: this fear of the country collapsing is a very republican ideal. Just to put it out there: it will benefit NO ONE on this planet (yes not just the US) if this were to happen. Don't fool yourself into thinking that it could happen. And if it did (which is extremely unlikely) then other countries do have plans to deal with it. Because if the US sinks everyone else does including and foremost China.

Sorry folks I have to run. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Awww Well that's just not cricket :(

Oh my the DOOM the DOOM you guys are fucked you know. A small economic improvement proven by all the great economists of our time, a process that will work is not quick enough for our friend Beeks.

May I suggest you all just PANIC and vote for the magic underwear guy? Seems the only way :(

Guest Anonymous

I've answers this question so many times I'm not sure how else to say it to make it clear. I don't value the economy over having a president who isn't racist/homophobic/whatever. I see our country in grave danger, obviously I'm a lot more worried about it than most people here. If the economy collapses and the country falls apart it won't matter if you have "rights" because there will be no government to back them up. I'm for stabilizing the economy and then voting in the guys who will fight for our rights. If I thought Obama could turn the economy around, I'd be voting for him again.

Also you know Obama was opposed to same sex marriage last time he ran, right? Did you all just write in another candidate in 2008?

Guess what, Beeks? Romney's economic plan (as far as you can call it a 'plan') is stupid and makes no sense. It is really, really stupid. There is nowhere to hide there.

Oh my the DOOM the DOOM you guys are fucked you know. A small economic improvement proven by all the great economists of our time, a process that will work is not quick enough for our friend Beeks.

May I suggest you all just PANIC and vote for the magic underwear guy? Seems the only way :(

And with all that in mind I'm going to start drinking early.

And with all that in mind I'm going to start drinking early.

Good plan. Slainte :D

Did seem like rather a copout. Come on! Some of us have been too busy to come play until now!

It does always amuse me that people expect eight years of mess to have been fixed in four. We were already on our way to mass economic fuckery when 9/11 hit. Bursting of the dot-com bubble? Bueller?

[sniff] His taste in lingerie is hideous. -- There's a question for you. "Mr. President! Boxers or briefs?" Be a sin to shroud that fine arse in anything less than lovely tight shorts.

Now don't start me on how HAWT HAWT I think Barack is..this is a serious discussion you know 8-)

Barack underwear.........hmmmmmmmmm

deregulation IS the cause of the economic crisis. Want to do more of that? Why on earth?

The economy IS getting better. Looked at the news recently? Job creation is on the up side.

I think you are falling for a fear mongering discourse that pretends without any proofs, or any examples (what did Obama do that was so wrong?) that the black guy is messing up. But hey who needs any proof when you know the guy is not white and all that is needed is a stronger leadership (that's Romney's plan in the last debate)?

Considering your lack of knowledge on the Israel situation, I'd advise again to read up a bit, and not Fox News. And do give a read of those books I mentioned, they were suggested by someone who studies the issue (and no he is not a democrat - far from it).

ETA: this fear of the country collapsing is a very republican ideal. Just to put it out there: it will benefit NO ONE on this planet (yes not just the US) if this were to happen. Don't fool yourself into thinking that it could happen. And if it did (which is extremely unlikely) then other countries do have plans to deal with it. Because if the US sinks everyone else does including and foremost China.

Yes Sophie, you nailed it, I'm a racist and that's why I slightly prefer Romney to Obama. :roll: I'm so, so racist which is why I live in an incredibly liberal area of the country, interact on a daily basis with people of all racial and economic backgrounds, and work writing grants for local nonprofits that primarily serve minorities. YOU GOT ME!

Thanks also for your condescending advice that I check out sources other than foxnews, and read the books that, you, internet extremist who implies that anyone who disagrees with Obama must be a racist, have picked out. I'm sure they're really fair and fact-based. I'll get right on that.

I edited to link to a Gallup poll. It would be hilarious if Romney won the popular vote and Obama won the electoral college (and yes I realize that would mean my guy was out, I just think it would be great to watch how both sides spun it after all the insanity after the bush win in 2000).

Yes, you GOPers would carry on for a bit, but as fairly recent history has shown us, the president will take the oath of office again and begin another four year term. Just as with GWB, who even managed to take us into two wars during his first term, so so much for "no mandate". So I'm not sure, in the long run, the electoral college/popular vote issue would mean a damn thing in the long run. But you would find it hilarious. Mmmkay.

Archived