IGNORED

Obama: "Rape is Rape. It Is A Crime"

happy atheist

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, this makes me happy and sad.

At first I was happy he said this and thought "Michelle and his daughters are lucky to have someone like him."

Then I got super sad because I realize that the world has gotten to the place that I think women and girls are lucky if they have a man who believes that rape is a crime as their husband and/or father, when this should be what every man and woman believes.

At first I was happy he said this and thought "Michelle and his daughters are lucky to have someone like him."

Then I got super sad because I realize that the world has gotten to the place that I think women and girls are lucky if they have a man who believes that rape is a crime as their husband and/or father, when this should be what every man and woman believes.

This.

This.

Also this. Actually, I believe my first thought was "I can't believe a presidential candidate feels the need to state where he stands on the subject" but apparently that day is here.

Also this. Actually, I believe my first thought was "I can't believe a presidential candidate feels the need to state where he stands on the subject" but apparently that day is here.

Agreed. It's hard for me to understand how the country has backpeddled on these issues so fiercely. Not that long ago, I was in South America with a group of Scandinavians. They were all, "hey, what's it like living in a county where half the population is a bunch of whackadoodles?" All I could do was sigh.

It's just a matter of time before a rapist claims he simply wanted to give his victim a gift from God.

The Republican party has devolved into an incredibly bad joke. And yet they very well may have control of both the presidency and both houses of Congress come January.

What does this say about the people of the United States?

It's just a matter of time before a rapist claims he simply wanted to give his victim a gift from God.

The Republican party has devolved into an incredibly bad joke. And yet they very well may have control of both the presidency and both houses of Congress come January.

What does this say about the people of the United States?

It blows my mind that the Republicans have nearly 50% of the popular vote, according to Nate Silver. 50%. :shakes head:

It blows my mind that the Republicans have nearly 50% of the popular vote, according to Nate Silver. 50%. :shakes head:

What's infuriating about the republicans is, not all of them believe that bullshit. A great many younger ones are supportive of rights for women and gays. But they continue to vote republican because "well, that's just their personal belief. They can't actually do anything to take away peoples rights!" Like, wtf? They very well can and that's exactly what they're doing! Successfully! Fucking idiots...

It really says something about our culture when any political figure can spew such bigotted shit and have his party gloss over it, and still have half of all registered voters come out and vote for him. Like, seriously, this is not okay.

Yeah, on the one hand, I'm happy that "my" candidate is actually speaking like a human being. On the other, I'm still flummoxed that we're even having this conversation.

I'm an Obama fan, but he really shouldn't be applauded for stating what's common sense/decency.

I'm an Obama fan, but he really shouldn't be applauded for stating what's common sense/decency.

Given what's been going on, yeah, he SHOULD be applauded. Just for some balance and to encourage others to speak out similarly. Common sense and decency seem to be in short supply lately.

In a perfect world this wouldn't be necessary but this ain't no perfect world.

I was thinking the same when I read the first post.

I find it disturbing and sad that a candidate has to stand up and say "I believe rape is a crime." Other times I feel that politicians need to shut up.

:clap:

I think the question is not why so many women are voting for Romney, but why so many women BELIEVE the bullshit these Republican fucknuts are spouting (which explains the votes). How much do you have to hate your own gender and yourself to buy into the idea that women are to blame for every fucking bad thing that happens to them?

Ok, I'll admit it here: I voted for Romney, I'm also pro-choice and pro-same sex marriage (I live in WA so I voted for marriage equality on the same ballot I used to vote for Romney).

My thinking was that yes, social issues are important. Hugely important. But the country is falling apart around us and I don't think the democrats' fiscal policies are going to help. I think 4 more years of Obama will put us in danger of the country sinking into such a deep depression that issues like abortion and gay marriage will be put on the back burner while people try to simply put food on the table.

I know lots of folks disagree on the best way to come out of the recession, what caused it, etc etc, and I don't want to argue that online. Just wanted to say that not all women who vote for Romney hate our sex or buy the republican women-hating bull. It was more a balance of which issues were more important to me personally right now.

Eta: I'm Jewish with immediate family living in Israel, so that was another huge reason I couldn't vote for Obama this year.

I know. I just don't get it. It's disgusting!

Sad state of affairs when the so-called ~*~best country in the world~*~ is so far backward on something so clear. It's so sad that he has to even say this. Sadder still that even one elected official, or person in general really, believes anything to the contrary.

So I do applaud him. For being a goddamn human person with basic logic skills unlike apparently most of the GOP.

My thinking was that yes, social issues are important. Hugely important. But the country is falling apart around us and I don't think the democrats' fiscal policies are going to help. I think 4 more years of Obama will put us in danger of the country sinking into such a deep depression that issues like abortion and gay marriage will be put on the back burner while people try to simply put food on the table.

But Romney's policies are very similar to Hoover's policies that got us deeper into a depression in the 30's. That is yet another reason I can't vote for him. Cut, cut, cut seems logical, but it's not what has worked in the past. What has worked is to tax and then use that money to create more jobs.

Also, as a very small businessperson, I see my business going back up this year when it was pretty stagnant for a few years.

What's infuriating about the republicans is, not all of them believe that bullshit. A great many younger ones are supportive of rights for women and gays. But they continue to vote republican because "well, that's just their personal belief. They can't actually do anything to take away peoples rights!" Like, wtf? They very well can and that's exactly what they're doing! Successfully! Fucking idiots...

I think that a lot of this viewpoint is immaturity- even my 30 something cousin who votes Republican but uses WIC and food stamps, is very immature in other areas of his life.

But Romney's policies are very similar to Hoover's policies that got us deeper into a depression in the 30's. That is yet another reason I can't vote for him. Cut, cut, cut seems logical, but it's not what has worked in the past. What has worked is to tax and then use that money to create more jobs.

Also, as a very small businessperson, I see my business going back up this year when it was pretty stagnant for a few years.

Shush. She doesn't want to argue logic online.

Shush. She doesn't want to argue logic online.

Yes, and if someone is "back burnering" basic human rights because he or she is enamored with Romney's economic policies, I'd be very curious to know what those specific policies are. He’s outlined nothing more than more tax cuts and more wars.

George W. Bush’s economic and foreign policies played a huge role in bringing us to the brink of total economic collapse four years ago. We’re recovering, but there are people who want to return to Bush’s policies? Seriously, I don’t know if it’s a combination of poverty and poor education coupled with relentless Fox News right-wing propaganda, but many people in this country appear to have the attention span of gnats.

Archived