IGNORED

Season 6 of 19 Kids and Counting. God help us all! (Part 2)

StarrieEyedKat

While it's very nice that the Duggars are so diligently following the recommendations (to the point of overkill if a two year old is getting x-rays for no apparent reason), the bigger question is, do they follow other pediatric guidelines? Aside from Josie, we've never heard about the kids having any regular well-child checkups. And, aside from Josie, do they immunize?

Oh, I completely agree that they are shoddy parents in terms of health.

My 2 year old has never had a dental x-ray--you are supposed to avoid that much radiation in small children unless there is a good reason for it. I did not know Josie has one of those because I avoid the show, but if she did then it certainly indicates there is a problem.

eta: my dentist does pain- and fear-free dentistry, which for one of my children means nitrous. These seems common in pediatric dentistry. Is Josie too young for nitrous?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I completely agree that they are shoddy parents in terms of health.

My 2 year old has never had a dental x-ray--you are supposed to avoid that much radiation in small children unless there is a good reason for it. I did not know Josie has one of those because I avoid the show, but if she did then it certainly indicates there is a problem.

Jordyn had x-rays when she was two.

Kids that small just don't understand the concept of the cardboard, and her mouth was so small. Poor baby was a trooper, but it's hard to watch her distress. And of course, Jessa was the one who had to deal with it.

Kid friendly dentistry has travelled leaps and bounds these past two decades. The fucking Duggars, per their usual, chose to do it all wrong.

While it's very nice that the Duggars are so diligently following the recommendations (to the point of overkill if a two year old is getting x-rays for no apparent reason), the bigger question is, do they follow other pediatric guidelines? Aside from Josie, we've never heard about the kids having any regular well-child checkups. And, aside from Josie, do they immunize?

I wonder if the MDs are too busy and/or too concerned with HIPPA laws to allow frequent filming in their offices? I worked for a doctor eons ago and it would have been a huge inconvenience (and pretty irresponsible) to let in a film crew for no good reason. I know we have seen some doctor's office clips, especially with Josie, Michelle, and Anna, but unless the doctor(s) cast the health of their other patients aside and cancel other appointments so filming can be done, it does not seem practical.

For some reason, I though that the kids saw a different dentist in earlier shows. Maybe this one has a new office, few patients, and needs/wants the publicity?

When the 5 youngest are getting their medicine in Jim Bob's and Michelle's bathroom one of the kids goes "Veggie Tales" in the way they say it in the theme song. So that may prove that they can watch it. I just remember some people wondering if they were allowed.

Kid friendly dentistry has travelled leaps and bounds these past two decades. The fucking Duggars, per their usual, chose to do it all wrong.

At least they are going to a pediatric dentist; unless the Duggars are going against doctors orders, methinks the procedure issues are a breakdown in the dental practice that is supposed to be for kids.

Jordyn had xrays at two, also. She is traumatized, too, but more quiet than Josie.

I give them credit for taking the kids in for the brown tooth, I just wish they had explained it. This IS the "learning" channel. It may have been an opportunity to educate the audience about pediatric dentistry, how tooth injury may not manifest until weeks later etc. I'm pretty sure we havent "learned" anything since... "cervical softening"... eeeeewwwww

How is it that this family is able to march around filming inside hospitals, doctors offices, dentist offices, etc. seemingly with impunity. Where I live there is a healthy respect and acknowledgement of legal liability. TLC or no TLC you would never get a camera inside one of these locations.

When the 5 youngest are getting their medicine in Jim Bob's and Michelle's bathroom one of the kids goes "Veggie Tales" in the way they say it in the theme song. So that may prove that they can watch it. I just remember some people wondering if they were allowed.

I heard it too. I'm surprised they haven't talked about it on the show. Maybe its to mainstream for them to advertise.

I heard it too. I'm surprised they haven't talked about it on the show. Maybe its to mainstream for them to advertise.

That would require them to admit they have a television!

I've done tons of study of QF, have a blog on the subject, never heard Chiropractors mentioned! HERBALISTS, yes! Midwives, YES! MDs occasionally.

If you don't mind me asking, could I have the link to your blog? I love reading about the Quiverfull followers! I understand if it's private though. Thanks!

I was happy to see Jordyn talking this episode. She seems quite bright for her age and seems to communicate rather well from that short scene.

I wonder why they don't do short interviews with her and Jenny, or even just ask them a question or two. I'd love to see more of them talking; they are both little dolls!

Jordyn also seems like a big climber from that dentist clip from a few seasons ago, and from this episode, too. She may grow up to be the really athletic one along with Joy.

I was happy to see Jordyn talking this episode. She seems quite bright for her age and seems to communicate rather well from that short scene.

I wonder why they don't do short interviews with her and Jenny, or even just ask them a question or two. I'd love to see more of them talking; they are both little dolls!

Jordyn also seems like a big climber from that dentist clip from a few seasons ago, and from this episode, too. She may grow up to be the really athletic one along with Joy.

Yea by the time she grows up perhaps there will be a the new Olympic sport of counter climbing. Hell considering how much time those kids spend on the counters the Duggars can field the whole US team.

How old was Josie at Michelle's birthday? She just kept repeating "Mama..mama" when Michelle got home from her makeover. A lot of the jibberish she says is dubbed in/loosely translated for her. I had a VERY disabled son, she concerns me.

How old was Josie at Michelle's birthday? She just kept repeating "Mama..mama" when Michelle got home from her makeover. A lot of the jibberish she says is dubbed in/loosely translated for her. I had a VERY disabled son, she concerns me.

She was 2 then and she will be turning 3 I think in six weeks.

I suspect that if Josie is getting therapy it would be through Arkansas Children's Hospital and they probably wouldn't allow it to be filmed. When they showed her last checkup there her doctor looked less than impressed on camera, and it must have been intrusive and difficult having the cameras in the NICU. It would not surprise me at all if after that they refused permission to film, and it could also be that Josie's therapist declines to allow the cameras into sessions. They would have to be a distraction.

I think she appears to be doing ok. She is tiny, but her coordination seems ok, she runs and climbs and manipulates objects. Her speech isn't clear, but neither was Jennie's or Jordyn's at that age - its probably more a lack of adults talking to her and the fact her sisters understand her baby talk (and maybe still talk it to her) than a developmental issue. The episode last week with the flash cards and her saying "meer cat - its a cat with a mirror" shows that she can talk in sentences and make abstract connections.

I agree IF Josie is getting help it should not be on television, I really hope she is. I know first hand that Doctors have very little to do with birth to 3 programs. Birth to 3 programs are often unknown to parents even when they give birth to a child with a disability. I worked on a parental board to help reach parents to give them information to get help*. In the 2 states, (Nebraska and Wisconsin) I lived in needing B-3 was run by the county/state, and not a hospital program. The only way insurance will pay for private treatment is if a child has an aquired disability. (i.e. car accident) Kids born with disabilities are not covered for private therapy. If she is getting help it would be a from Arkansas not the University directly. It gets really twisted when your child turns 3.

From my experience, (not in Arkansas, which is not known for great education or social programs) I was constantly reassured by numerous doctors my son was "fine". I was hoping to hear it each time I expressed my very real concerns. Turns out he was having atypical seizures and was a very, very disabed adorable and charming little boy. (IQ 35ish when he was 11) He did not get help until he was 2 and only because I kept bothering everyone even though I loved hearing he was "fine". The older he got the more obvious it was. He looked pretty "normal" until he was 7 or so. Mom's just know when something is amiss.

*It was not unusual to find 18M old kids with Down syndrome or another diagnosed disability who were not getting services because nobody told the parent it was available.

Long story short: Parents have to actively advocate and fight for their disabled children. It is not layed out for you, you have to first accept your child is delayed and do a lot of research & legwork after that. I can't imagine the Duggars doing this.

Sorry to rant.

I have a question (sorry for my english if I don't choose the right words, and I'm too lazy to google everthing ;-) ): Is it common in the US that, when you go to the dentist, there is a big room with 6 or 8 dental chairs in it, so you are not alone in a room on your own with the dentist and/or the nurse. I was just a little ... puzzled? isn't it even more distressing for the kids when they hear and see another kid scream of fear and pain next to them? and all the noises of drillers and other scary machines...

I know there is different concepts of dental care in the world with two extremes: 1. dental care is like cosmetics, like if you have problems with your skin....when I walked through the streets of Louzhou (China) three years ago, I passed a dental office there and it was an open shop like a hair dresser salon. you could see everything, the whole procedure and you could also just walk in. as it was like 100 degrees outside the whole front was wide open to the street with cars and people passing by, it was loud and dusty...

the other extreme is that if you have a dental procedure done its like a real SURGERY, everthing has to be private, closed up, silent, hygienic (I know even an open space can be hygienic enough)

for me, personally, I do not know which of these is the better concept. where I come from it's the real surgery thing, there would never be more than 4 people in the room (dentist, nurse, patient and maybe the mother (if it's a kid). I don't know if the second extreme is even necessary...

But is it common in the US that the dentist is more open and not so private as in other medical fields, with more than 10 or 20 people in the same room and several patients?

At least in my experience, no—the dentists' offices I've been to have all had single-patient examination rooms. The semi-exception was my orthodontist's office, which had a large open room with three or four chairs; no dividers, unless you count the large central sink with the sanitizing basins. Now, whether that was my orthodontist's choice or him making the best of the office space he could get or things just generally being weirder in the '80s, I have no clue.

I'd never seen that clip of Jordyn at the dentist. Poor baby. X-Rays are always one of the very worst parts of the dentist, at least for me. I'm an adult but my mouth is still pretty small, and those pieces of cardboard really hurt because they don't give and you have to clamp down so hard onto them, so they just dig right into the palate. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it was for such a little girl (my childhood dentist was exceptionally gentle), those x-ray cards must have been really hurting her. No wonder she cried! I didn't like the way Jessa tried to hold Jordyn's head, either... way to become involved in a painful memory for your baby sister.

I have a question (sorry for my english if I don't choose the right words, and I'm too lazy to google everthing ;-) ): Is it common in the US that, when you go to the dentist, there is a big room with 6 or 8 dental chairs in it, so you are not alone in a room on your own with the dentist and/or the nurse. I was just a little ... puzzled? isn't it even more distressing for the kids when they hear and see another kid scream of fear and pain next to them? and all the noises of drillers and other scary machines...

I know there is different concepts of dental care in the world with two extremes: 1. dental care is like cosmetics, like if you have problems with your skin....when I walked through the streets of Louzhou (China) three years ago, I passed a dental office there and it was an open shop like a hair dresser salon. you could see everything, the whole procedure and you could also just walk in. as it was like 100 degrees outside the whole front was wide open to the street with cars and people passing by, it was loud and dusty...

the other extreme is that if you have a dental procedure done its like a real SURGERY, everthing has to be private, closed up, silent, hygienic (I know even an open space can be hygienic enough)

for me, personally, I do not know which of these is the better concept. where I come from it's the real surgery thing, there would never be more than 4 people in the room (dentist, nurse, patient and maybe the mother (if it's a kid). I don't know if the second extreme is even necessary...

But is it common in the US that the dentist is more open and not so private as in other medical fields, with more than 10 or 20 people in the same room and several patients?

At most of the dental offices I've been to, they usually have partial walls that separate patients. So it allows for some privacy, but they are not completely closed off.

their pediatric dental clinic is set up *exactly* like ours. There is no patient privacy, partially so parents can bring in multiple children and sit with all of them at once.

The pediatric dentist I went to growing up had multiple chairs in one room plus a couple of private room for x-rays and more specialized treatments. All of the places I've gone to as an adult have had some degree of privacy. Usually either a private room with a door or a private room with a curtain.

The Duggar family blog just posted the show is coming back for another season in 2013. I just wonder what they can come up with for episodes besides the actual trip to China. Josh's 25th b-day? the kids providing JD with free labor on his free house? packing for big Sandy?

The Duggar family blog just posted the show is coming back for another season in 2013. I just wonder what they can come up with for episodes besides the actual trip to China. Josh's 25th b-day? the kids providing JD with free labor on his free house? packing for big Sandy?

I'm sure you were referring to the ATI conference, but I can also picture them saddling up for yet another trip to "help" the victims of the latest natural disaster. They will go in on their own, without authority from any government or organization, contribute absolutely nothing, and bring all 19 children (plus Josh's family) including the ones who are too young to do anything and only putting themselves in danger. Then the leghumpers will squee over how selfless they are.

Archived