IGNORED

Season 6 of 19 Kids and Counting. God help us all! (Part 2)

StarrieEyedKat

I have a question (sorry for my english if I don't choose the right words, and I'm too lazy to google everthing ;-) ): Is it common in the US that, when you go to the dentist, there is a big room with 6 or 8 dental chairs in it, so you are not alone in a room on your own with the dentist and/or the nurse. I was just a little ... puzzled? isn't it even more distressing for the kids when they hear and see another kid scream of fear and pain next to them? and all the noises of drillers and other scary machines...

I know there is different concepts of dental care in the world with two extremes: 1. dental care is like cosmetics, like if you have problems with your skin....when I walked through the streets of Louzhou (China) three years ago, I passed a dental office there and it was an open shop like a hair dresser salon. you could see everything, the whole procedure and you could also just walk in. as it was like 100 degrees outside the whole front was wide open to the street with cars and people passing by, it was loud and dusty...

the other extreme is that if you have a dental procedure done its like a real SURGERY, everthing has to be private, closed up, silent, hygienic (I know even an open space can be hygienic enough)

for me, personally, I do not know which of these is the better concept. where I come from it's the real surgery thing, there would never be more than 4 people in the room (dentist, nurse, patient and maybe the mother (if it's a kid). I don't know if the second extreme is even necessary...

But is it common in the US that the dentist is more open and not so private as in other medical fields, with more than 10 or 20 people in the same room and several patients?

Every dentist I've ever been to had private rooms/areas. Everything is clean and sterile (although, it looks as though the televised office was clean and sterile as well.) I just assumed that this is common and/or acceptable for a pediatric dentist. Michelle did mention on one of the episodes that the "older ones" (read: Adults) don't get to go to that dentist; in the episodes where the adult girls had wisdom teeth out, they were seen in private rooms.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you were referring to the ATI conference, but I can also picture them saddling up for yet another trip to "help" the victims of the latest natural disaster. They will go in on their own, without authority from any government or organization, contribute absolutely nothing, and bring all 19 children (plus Josh's family) including the ones who are too young to do anything and only putting themselves in danger. Then the leghumpers will squee over how selfless they are.

I can also picture them going on a trip to "help" hurricane victims.

Every dentist I've ever been to had private rooms/areas. Everything is clean and sterile (although, it looks as though the televised office was clean and sterile as well.) I just assumed that this is common and/or acceptable for a pediatric dentist. Michelle did mention on one of the episodes that the "older ones" (read: Adults) don't get to go to that dentist; in the episodes where the adult girls had wisdom teeth out, they were seen in private rooms.

My dentist has entirely private rooms with flat panel televisions and Xboxes for the children to watch or play on while getting their work done. However, I have noticed that there is a big room with many chairs for orthodontic work. Maybe because it is less icky?

The dentist offices that I've visited have all been semi-private (three walls but an open area instead of a door), but all the orthodontic offices have had that same open area with multiple chairs. Maybe when the office visit is the same for everyone (only teeth cleaning no dental fixing) there's less need for individual rooms?

OK I watch it, finally, since I was bored.

Anna looked super pissed off with those kids, you could tell she was NOT happy!!!

OMG WTF is Anna on? since when is she so Bubbly? That is not usual for her at all....

I love how the kids had to yell out to Jim-Bob to let Michelle use the gun by herself, such an interferer!.

Jessa -"Gonna give your man a new hair-do" ... :shock: WHO the heck says that about their own father to their mother? GAH! *squeaks me out*

and more squeaking me out, with the girls doing up the Hotel room for them to 'be fruitful and multiply' EWWWWW

I cannot stand that they make it seem like its such a BIG deal that Jim-Bob took his own kids to the dentist ON HIS OWN, Like seriously? *eyeroll*

GAH I stopped it before they were all sick, because I did not want to see that. :x

Overall, I can't help but notice they went to a heck of a lot of trouble for Michelle's birthday. Honestly I don't think she really cared one way or another. Especially with the make-over. They went over the top in my view, they would have been better off doing something special like that for a sibling. But no, got glorify and honour the giant Uterus for her life giving vessels! :?

As for the make-over, its clear no Duggar liked it because anything shorter than your bosom is clearly a sin, and curls are of the Lord, and of course what Jim-Bob says and likes goes. :evil:

5wbbz4.jpg

Honestly, seeing Boob in that outfit somehow freaks me out more than his usual high-waisted geeky look. This makes him look like a douchey fundie-lite Mark Driscoll type. I'd rather he sported the obvious fundie look, with the Lego hair and all, than see someone like him blend in and inject his authoritarian patriarchal weirdness through pseudo-mainstream appeal.

The Duggar family blog just posted the show is coming back for another season in 2013. I just wonder what they can come up with for episodes besides the actual trip to China. Josh's 25th b-day? the kids providing JD with free labor on his free house? packing for big Sandy?

NOOOOOOOO. Want aftermath now.

All right, trying to think of the upsides. There's the potential for more bus-throwing on the part of the producers. A new title sequence showing Josh in his current state. A few more months inches Jim Bob and Michelle closer to reaping the whirlwind of the howlers hitting puberty. More time for the younger kids from Josiah and Joy on down to possibly be exposed to the wider world. Um...

Okay, moving on to my FU Internets wishlist instead:

* Michelle spending time with Jenny and Jordyn, just to see how that goes

* The J'slaves getting a day out by themselves

* Ditto Joy, separate from the other girls

* Grandma having more leisure time

Wonder if this means we'll get a new Facebook graphic? The current one is lulzy not only because of the gratuitous, gagworthy PDA but the fact that, aptly enough, they're all too distracted to see what lies ahead of them.

295157_10152094224775521_810800058_n.jpg

At least in my experience, no—the dentists' offices I've been to have all had single-patient examination rooms. The semi-exception was my orthodontist's office, which had a large open room with three or four chairs; no dividers, unless you count the large central sink with the sanitizing basins. Now, whether that was my orthodontist's choice or him making the best of the office space he could get or things just generally being weirder in the '80s, I have no clue.

My orthodontists office was the same. It was the 90s but he was very old... Great; now I have images of painful yelps and that memory of a girl bawling. And his soapy hands. Blargh! :(

I have a question (sorry for my english if I don't choose the right words, and I'm too lazy to google everthing ;-) ): Is it common in the US that, when you go to the dentist, there is a big room with 6 or 8 dental chairs in it, so you are not alone in a room on your own with the dentist and/or the nurse. I was just a little ... puzzled? isn't it even more distressing for the kids when they hear and see another kid scream of fear and pain next to them? and all the noises of drillers and other scary machines...

I thought the same, I have never seen that type of surgery before, even for kids

It depends on the dentist. Even if it is one big open room dividers and partitions are normal. Of course Boob would never consider taking their kids to a PEDIATRIC dentist that is set up for this sort of thing. Everything is explained to the kids before hand, they watch tv/movies of their (the parents) choice then get some small toy plus the usual free toothbrush, et. In all my years of going to the dentist + taking small kids to the dentist I've never heard one child cry. Many look forward to it. My ortho has one big room without partitions which is the first I've seen to have that setup, but she only sees teens/adults.

It depends on the dentist. Even if it is one big open room dividers and partitions are normal. Of course Boob would never consider taking their kids to a PEDIATRIC dentist that is set up for this sort of thing. Everything is explained to the kids before hand, they watch tv/movies of their (the parents) choice then get some small toy plus the usual free toothbrush, et. In all my years of going to the dentist + taking small kids to the dentist I've never heard one child cry. Many look forward to it. My ortho has one big room without partitions which is the first I've seen to have that setup, but she only sees teens/adults.

One of my nieces used to pitch a HUGE fit every time she had to go to the dentist or Dr or eye Dr. She just did not like having to interact with these strange people who were going to poke at her. She does better now and will even answer her Dr's questions. Before she would just look the other direction and completely ignore them, haha.

As for Josie. I wonder if her reaction isn't based on being in the hospital for so long. She might just have a very strong negative reaction to anything resembling a Dr. Some kids react to beginning life in the hospital by being very nonchalant about procedures and Drs while others are traumatized by the experience. Also, wasn't she on a vent for awhile at first? She might have some oral aversion associated with that as well. Even if it isn't strong enough to cause eating issues, she might really hate her mouth being messed with. Or maybe she's a fit pitcher because she's a)unable to communicate her real feelings clearly yet or b) is a little spoiled since she's the baby and sickly and it gets her results quickly

As for Josie. I wonder if her reaction isn't based on being in the hospital for so long. She might just have a very strong negative reaction to anything resembling a Dr. Some kids react to beginning life in the hospital by being very nonchalant about procedures and Drs while others are traumatized by the experience. Also, wasn't she on a vent for awhile at first? She might have some oral aversion associated with that as well. Even if it isn't strong enough to cause eating issues, she might really hate her mouth being messed with. Or maybe she's a fit pitcher because she's a)unable to communicate her real feelings clearly yet or b) is a little spoiled since she's the baby and sickly and it gets her results quickly

I hadn't thought about the possibility that as well as the association of trauma, she might have issues with things in her mouth. We saw her having a really sensitive gag reflex a while back (is it just me or has this season had way more gross out moments than usual? So much vomiting). Wasn't it triggered from crying too hard or something? I really hate this season how we've had all of these scenes of Josie where she's so visibly traumatised.

Michelle explained at one of Josie's recent doctor's visits that she freaks out whenever she sees they are heading into a doctor's office because she associates it with pain. Just seeing the dental office building might have been enough to trigger her fear.

Honestly, seeing Boob in that outfit somehow freaks me out more than his usual high-waisted geeky look. This makes him look like a douchey fundie-lite Mark Driscoll type. I'd rather he sported the obvious fundie look, with the Lego hair and all, than see someone like him blend in and inject his authoritarian patriarchal weirdness through pseudo-mainstream appeal.

I agree with your post. That makeoever made him douchy and a bit more goofy than he already is. I know men who can rock the open button down shirt with a t-shirt pretty well. Boob couldn't rock that look because there is something really goofy and geeky about him. Boob's attitude and demeanor sometimes come off as much older than his age. If Boob went to Driscoll's Mars Hill or one of other hipster type megachurches in the U.S., he wouldn't blend in well with a lot of the people that attend those churches. I kind of would love an episode of 19kac where the Duggars visit a hipster megachurch or maybe one of those churches in Orange County, California. The Duggars would be laughed at those churches. The J'Slaves would probably get death stares from mean girls at those churches. The Duggars have undergone a wardrobe makeover in the past couple of years. The girls aren't wearing the awful frumpers anymore and the boys are dressed a bit hip. But there is something still a bit dorky about the Duggars especially Boob and Mullet.

I'd like to see them not defraud us all with their gag-inducing, mandatory kisses each episode.

What we'll see:

1. Lots of pda and jokes about baby making on the trip to China.

2. Ways other people will "bless" the family while Mom and Dad are gone screwing across the orient.

3. Another crisis that shows how "mature" their young adults are when no one else is home to be the parents.

4. Jordyn and Jenny running from "stranger danger" when Michelle and Jim-Bob come back from the trip.

5. Josh will shop for stretchy sans-a-belt slacks to accommodate the next 20 lbs he gains.

6. Anna and her sister will do a spa day for HER mother since she's also very wise.

7. Grandma and Amy will go to Vegas, but this won't be mentioned.

8. We'll see more FU attitude from "Siah.

That *was* a pediatric dentist. The sign outside the office said 'Northwest Arkansas *Pediatric* Dentistry. Our pediatric dentist's office looks just like theirs, with no partitions, and many chairs that lie down. Ours has televisions in the ceiling with cartoons on for the kids to watch. There are a few private rooms for oral surgery type things (tooth removal, capping teeth, etc)

I'd like to see them not defraud us all with their gag-inducing, mandatory kisses each episode.

What we'll see:

1. Lots of pda and jokes about baby making on the trip to China.

2. Ways other people will "bless" the family while Mom and Dad are gone screwing across the orient.

3. Another crisis that shows how "mature" their young adults are when no one else is home to be the parents.

4. Jordyn and Jenny running from "stranger danger" when Michelle and Jim-Bob come back from the trip.

5. Josh will shop for stretchy sans-a-belt slacks to accommodate the next 20 lbs he gains.

6. Anna and her sister will do a spa day for HER mother since she's also very wise.

7. Grandma and Amy will go to Vegas, but this won't be mentioned.

8. We'll see more FU attitude from "Siah.

Since TLC has been showing the Duggars at their not-so-best, I also expect a bit of JB talking about China's one child policy and/or the communist government forcing abortions on Chinese women. I doubt he'll get his facts right, but he can't resist an opportunity to point out how wrong the Chinese when their beliefs differ from the Duggars.

A Grandma and Amy episode would be fun. I'm not a huge fan of Amy, but I do really like the bond she has with Grandma Mary. I remember someone said here that Grandma Mary feels really comfortable and close with Amy, but she isn't that way with the J'Slaves. I have noticed that too. I think Grandma finds the J'Slaves hard to be around for some reason.

I love that bicycle shot. Every time I see it I realize they're quickly running out of Kute Kidz, and the Dog&Pony Show's days are numbered.

Also, wise leader JB isn't steering the bike (family), but instead having sweet fellowship. Such an apt visual metaphor.

The show has lost its cuteness appeal over the past couple of years. The producers tend to use Johanna and Jackson for cuteness mainly because both are a bit stunted for their ages. Jackson is very babyish to the point where it becomes annoying. The older Duggar kids don't have a lot of mainstream appeal. I watched Long Island Medium (guilty pleasure of mine) last night and I liked seeing Theresa and Larry send Victoria off to college. Victoria is a bit annoying but she is pretty normal and can appeal to a lot of people in her age group. It is obvious on 19kac that the J'Slaves are stunted and are only friends with girls from other fundie families.

The way Jim Bob looks with his hair and opened button shirt over the t-shirt has been gnawing at me since I watched the episode. It finally hit me -- he reminds me of Lenny from LaVerne & Shirley with his new "style." I don't know know why. He's such a complete dork! I agree with the poster who said he's better off with the Lego hair. Jim Bob can't pull off cool.

I hadn't thought about the possibility that as well as the association of trauma, she might have issues with things in her mouth. We saw her having a really sensitive gag reflex a while back (is it just me or has this season had way more gross out moments than usual? So much vomiting). Wasn't it triggered from crying too hard or something? I really hate this season how we've had all of these scenes of Josie where she's so visibly traumatised.

How on earth is a little girl freaking out to the dentist a possible sign of being spoiled? I am confused.

Jackson is very babyish to the point where it becomes annoying.

Thank you!! I keep saying is hoping someone sees it and agrees. Johanna is just shrill.

Maybe they'll replace them with Jennifer (who seems only able to cry) or Jordyn (who just looks lost) or Josie (who will repeat simple phrases on cue)

Thank you!! I keep saying is hoping someone sees it and agrees. Johanna is just shrill.

Maybe they'll replace them with Jennifer (who seems only able to cry) or Jordyn (who just looks lost) or Josie (who will repeat simple phrases on cue)

I agreed with you sometime back on babyish Jackson. I think it was previous season 6 thread. I remember last year a few people mentioned Jackson and Hannie being stunted for their ages. After that I noticed it and this season both have become more annoying than in previous seasons. I think next season we might see more of a focus on Jennifer and Jordyn. Someone here recently said that they wondered if Boob and Mullet somehow keep Jackson or Johannah stutnted. Overall, I think all of the Duggar kids are stunted in some way or another.

Another season? Say it ain't so. Hopefully 2013 will be their last. I think they have found their calling in supporting political candidates and that we can expect that to continue in the future, unfortunately. One thing I would love to see would be a discussion in which Jim Bob is intellectually challenged on his ideas. Remember when he (or Michelle, can't remember) said that the entire earth population could fit in Jacksonville, FL? I would love to have seen them try to defend that statement.

Archived