IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

I believe Kody is only on Meri's house, it's in both of their names. The other houses I'm pretty sure are under each sister wife's name.

The virginity quilt is so creepy, they could've just made a scrapbook. A blanket that he can easily hide or toss off the bed isn't going to stop him from losing his virginity 8-) . Of the older children, Logan seems to be the one split about whether he wants to be a polygamist, but I think he and Hunter will decide to opt out.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe Kody is only on Meri's house, it's in both of their names. The other houses I'm pretty sure are under each sister wife's name.

The virginity quilt is so creepy, they could've just made a scrapbook. A blanket that he can easily hide or toss off the bed isn't going to stop him from losing his virginity 8-) . Of the older children, Logan seems to be the one split about whether he wants to be a polygamist, but I think he and Hunter will decide to opt out.

There was a discussion a few episodes back about being "pre approved" which means there are mortgages on the house (not bought outright by TLC). You can only have one "first house" and to qualify for a mortgage on a second (or third...) is pretty tough, plus you're not guaranteed a kick ass interest rate. I'm guessing he's on Meri's and the rest is in the women's name only.

I was very confused about Meri saying that she would pay for some things herself. I wonder if the "budget" is a TLC budget and anything over it has to be paid by the family. TLC certainly wants the houses...

There was a discussion a few episodes back about being "pre approved" which means there are mortgages on the house (not bought outright by TLC). You can only have one "first house" and to qualify for a mortgage on a second (or third...) is pretty tough, plus you're not guaranteed a kick ass interest rate. I'm guessing he's on Meri's and the rest is in the women's name only.

I was very confused about Meri saying that she would pay for some things herself. I wonder if the "budget" is a TLC budget and anything over it has to be paid by the family. TLC certainly wants the houses...

Personally, I think that the "approvals" for mortgages was just to make it look like they could pay for their homes and have income other than TLC. It just seemed too dramatic and over the top. No friggin' way that women with tons of kids, no jobs, and bad credit scores could get 1/2 million dollar mortgages for houses in a depressed market in an area where there is a surplus of housing. It's just so fake. I think that TLC is paying for nearly all of the house building costs and then gave them a script where they would create drama over the extras and other issues. Maybe they suggested the drama and Meri took it from there.... The TLC people see the antagonism between Meri and Janelle and Christine and Robyn and they are playing them off of each other with the houses.

Did I hear incorrectly or did Kody talk to one of the wives about including a washer/dryer in the mortgage? Is he crazy? Wait, don't answer that question. :roll:

Did I hear incorrectly or did Kody talk to one of the wives about including a washer/dryer in the mortgage? Is he crazy? Wait, don't answer that question. :roll:

Yes, they added a lot of upgrades that will be included in their mortgage. Jenelle couldn't afford the patio and said she would just pour it herself. Kody tried to talk her out of it because then you walk outside and its DIRT, and think of all the mud they are going to drag in (Its Vegas, theres mud?). And then he wanted Meri to include her washer dryer instead of getting their own. Because its easier. Yeah but you are going to be paying interest on it for the next 30 yrs!

I decided to be a stalker and they still own their home in Utah (and are renting it out so they make a little bit of money from that),and the owners are listed as:

Kody and Janelle Brown

Meri Brown

"Joint tenants"

2850 sq feet with 18 rooms, 8 bedrooms on a 44,867 sq ft lot

Bought in 2006 from a Jessop, with two loans totaling about $410,000 in just Janelle's name, and then Kody and Meri were added in 2008

I do not see any homes under the Browns names in Vegas, or Robyn Sullivan, so they probably created some sort of trust for them. I dont know the address or else I could find it all out.

Also, I had no idea that ALL of them had declared bankruptcy. Pretty shady. Christine's listed over 25k in debt, with no assets and income. With "less than $25.00 in her checking account. Pretty shady since they divide the money "equally." She was even on food stamps even as they started filming the show.

I decided to be a stalker and they still own their home in Utah (and are renting it out so they make a little bit of money from that),and the owners are listed as:

Kody and Janelle Brown

Meri Brown

"Joint tenants"

2850 sq feet with 18 rooms, 8 bedrooms on a 44,867 sq ft lot

Bought in 2006 from a Jessop, with two loans totaling about $410,000 in just Janelle's name, and then Kody and Meri were added in 2008

I do not see any homes under the Browns names in Vegas, or Robyn Sullivan, so they probably created some sort of trust for them. I dont know the address or else I could find it all out.

Amazing how they made do with less than a 1000 square feet each and suddenly they are having fits over not being able to add hobby rooms to homes that are nearly 4000 square feet each.

Another family where TLC money has gone to their heads and they just have to have huge homes and other luxuries. The fall will be hard.

Yes, they added a lot of upgrades that will be included in their mortgage. Jenelle couldn't afford the patio and said she would just pour it herself. Kody tried to talk her out of it because then you walk outside and its DIRT, and think of all the mud they are going to drag in (Its Vegas, theres mud?). And then he wanted Meri to include her washer dryer instead of getting their own. Because its easier. Yeah but you are going to be paying interest on it for the next 30 yrs!

Not only is the washer/dryer in the mortgage, but I'm almost positive that Kody said he didn't want to have to move Meri's W/D. So they have both, but want to buy new? Did anyone else understand it that way?

I guess if they are not going to stay there (planning on defaulting), they really won't be paying it off for 30 years.

Maybe LIV International owns the homes? Or has them down as some kind of owners/shareholders/salaried people so that it appeared on their mortgage applications as if they have high incomes?

I'm not sure about the policy of posting links here but there is a Kody Brown family LIv International page in which they give tetimonials for LIV products--all of them talking about how much fitter (or, with one product, calmer) they feel now that they take these products. Given how they look and act, I would have thought twice before making this family the poster child for health products. Is LIV International affiliated with their church?

I used to love this show.

After Newtown though it seems so trivial, I stopped watching.

I did watch the follow up show and I am kind of upset with Meri (who isn't). She says that she should not be punished for not having more children. Well why should she get the same amount as Janelle or Christine. It should be a percentage based. She just shows her catty jealousy with her attitude.

Janelle really is my favorite now. She is intelligent and cares about the good of the whole family not just hers. Janelle seems to understand what this lifestyle is all about. Meri was really annoying this season.

They really do not seem like a family anymore. I was way more impressed with the Darger family.

Janelle pretty much said the only reason she is staying is because she doesn't want to separate her kids from their half siblings. I hope when the youngest kid moves out she finally leaves for good.

Meri needs therapy...normal people don't buy a house for the children they were unable to have. And if she says wet bar one more time... :x

Not only is the washer/dryer in the mortgage, but I'm almost positive that Kody said he didn't want to have to move Meri's W/D. So they have both, but want to buy new? Did anyone else understand it that way?

I guess if they are not going to stay there (planning on defaulting), they really won't be paying it off for 30 years.

I thought he was saying he did not want to have to do the "haul my closet around from house to house" thing anymore that he has been seen doing this season, so he wanted all the wives to have laundry facilities. So maybe Meri was in the habit of doing her and Mariah's laundry at a laundrymat in Vegas. Because in the Utah house they could share a laundry room, so probably they didn't all have laundry facilities in the Vegas houses.

I thought he was saying he did not want to have to do the "haul my closet around from house to house" thing anymore that he has been seen doing this season, so he wanted all the wives to have laundry facilities. So maybe Meri was in the habit of doing her and Mariah's laundry at a laundrymat in Vegas. Because in the Utah house they could share a laundry room, so probably they didn't all have laundry facilities in the Vegas houses.

I'm pretty sure that had washer/dryer combos. My shock is that they want to pay for them as part of the mortgage. As NotALoserLikeYou said, they are then paying interest for thirty years on a washer and dryer. That is fiscal irresponsibility at its best/worst. Though maybe they aren't planning to live in their dream homes forever. Meri did say in one segment that "I plan to live in this house .... for however long I live in the house." I just found that strange to say as opposed to saying this is my last house and I'm living here until I die/passing it on to Mariah. So maybe their Plan B is to default, if they find it necessary, and hightail it back to Utah.

I wonder why Meri and Kody did not forgo a legal marriage since they knew they wanted more wives down the line. That way, all wives and children would have legally been on equal footing. The "spiritual" marriage is the one that matters to them anyway, and it would be one less thing to differentiate them by.

I just read their book. My impression is that the children may have benefitted from plural marriage, but the wives have not. It sounded like they were convincing themselves that plural marriage was a good thing, in that way you do when you have invested so much in something that to admit it was all for nothing would be devastating. Any religion that requires me to suffer by sharing my husband (not sustainable anyway since at some point males would vastly outnumber females), for some alledged future celestial benefit is not espousing a principle but is unprincipled, IMO.

It seems like the wives are coworkers, certainly not sisters. Meri and Robyn went to sister wife counseling, so why didn't Meri and Janelle? There is no way in hell I could just be barely tolerated by someone I had to interact with each day, the way Janelle and Meri barely tolerate each other.

Despite the Brown's assertions to the contrary, plural marriage is not better than monogamy for personal growth. A single intimate relationship, without the dilution of other spouses, presents many opportunities to develop ones character as the years go by. I would lose my mind if I had to worry about my relationship with a sister wife AND my husband. And the constant financial pressure? Forget that. No wonder they came out on national television, they needed the money!

In the end, I believe to each his own. I don't think it is any business of the government how many consenting adults "marry". "Becoming Sister Wives" describes four women who have not quite become sister wives just yet.

"I predict he will court and eventually marry (ala Dargers) Robun's sister, who appears to be living with her now."

This makes sense. The sister is supposedly there to help poor Robyn with her kids (Janelle and Christine, who have more kids, apparently don't need or deserve help (then again, they can both also tie their own shoes) but the more I think about it the more it makes sense that she is there to test out her integration into the "family," which at this point is a term I use loosely. I think Robyn only married into this group because she needed a meal ticket and one or more people to take care of her kids, as she seems pretty much incapable of doing anything remotely useful. It would make sense that she would want her sister on board.

"I predict he will court and eventually marry (ala Dargers) Robun's sister, who appears to be living with her now."

This makes sense. The sister is supposedly there to help poor Robyn with her kids (Janelle and Christine, who have more kids, apparently don't need or deserve help (then again, they can both also tie their own shoes) but the more I think about it the more it makes sense that she is there to test out her integration into the "family," which at this point is a term I use loosely. I think Robyn only married into this group because she needed a meal ticket and one or more people to take care of her kids, as she seems pretty much incapable of doing anything remotely useful. It would make sense that she would want her sister on board.

That would be just so twisted... especially considering the dire financial straits this family is in. Adding more wives and children to the mix would be unbelievable. I wonder if another hot young wife would drive Janelle and/or Christine away.. It doesn't look like Cody is knocking up either of them so I wonder if they even get nights with hubby anymore.

I have a sick relationship with this show. I just can't stop watching and I even read the sister wives blog. Sad I know :( . I've discovered the secret to maintaining my sanity and my temper is to quit questioning why Kody and the Kodependants do anything. Seriously.

I just watched the Logan episode, and it just hit me.... Did I read somewhere that Robun is a Jessup? Because, if her hair was piled on her head in a buffant up-do, makeupless, wearing a gingham frumper and carrying a child with a frown on her face, she's a dead ringer for MANY those compound women you see in news stories. It never hit me how many of the compound pligs look so much alike, sharing the five-head and severe jaw. Kind of gave me the creeps, there's got to be some serious in-breeding going on.

she's a dead ringer for MANY those compound women you see in news stories. It never hit me how many of the compound pligs look so much alike, sharing the five-head and severe jaw. Kind of gave me the creeps, there's got to be some serious in-breeding going on.

The Mormon community is so insular that nearly everyone is related. In the episode where the Browns go to Nauvoo, Illinois, two of the wives said they were descendents to the people allied with Joseph Smith. And in the book the Dargers wrote, his wives had parents who were children in the Short Creek raid of 1953, which is now the place that Warren Jeffs controls. So even though they like to separate themselves from Jeffs' communities and compounds, they are a lot closer (in blood relation and in history) than they let on.

I just watched the Logan episode, and it just hit me.... Did I read somewhere that Robun is a Jessup? Because, if her hair was piled on her head in a buffant up-do, makeupless, wearing a gingham frumper and carrying a child with a frown on her face, she's a dead ringer for MANY those compound women you see in news stories. It never hit me how many of the compound pligs look so much alike, sharing the five-head and severe jaw. Kind of gave me the creeps, there's got to be some serious in-breeding going on.

It's been reported that Robyn's ex-husband is David Preston Jessop. Never thought about it until you made that connection, though.

I'm pretty sure that had washer/dryer combos. My shock is that they want to pay for them as part of the mortgage. As NotALoserLikeYou said, they are then paying interest for thirty years on a washer and dryer. That is fiscal irresponsibility at its best/worst. Though maybe they aren't planning to live in their dream homes forever. Meri did say in one segment that "I plan to live in this house .... for however long I live in the house." I just found that strange to say as opposed to saying this is my last house and I'm living here until I die/passing it on to Mariah. So maybe their Plan B is to default, if they find it necessary, and hightail it back to Utah.

The only way mortgaging appliances would make sense to me is if someone's only other option is to obtain them from one of those rent-to-own places, where you're probably paying a whole lot more than on a mortgage with much lower interest. But if you can't afford a damn washer and dryer, you probably can't afford a $400+K home...But then again, the Browns can't afford these homes. It pisses me off that they have so much accumulated debt that they're probably going to be able to ignore, when a person with any kind of value system would be worried about what they owe first rather than obtaining 4 new McMansions.

Archived