IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

Muslim women have it much worse if they wear burkas. I guess the LDS/FLDS chics can at least wear something breathable and don't have to cover their heads.

And its more fair b/c the men wear magic undies too. Its like the Orthos in my hood, the men have it pretty much as bad as the women (although I don't get the women who "choose" to wear a wig rather than a cotton snood... I'm not sure if its vanity or what). Its the Muslim ladies I want to shake, there are a few in my hood that wear full on burkas and judging from the dampness in the summer of those burkas I think they'd be suffering. But, I see their husbands in long shorts and short sleeve shirts every time... My feeling is that if you have restrictive dress codes that cause people to feel like they are melting then it should be applied to both genders one way or another.

Here the Muslim ladies dress a lot like the Orthodox ladies, except for the different head coverings, but I couldn't dress like either! This summer I was at Walmart and saw an Ortho woman, she was young, maybe mid 20's and had on black shoes, tights, and below the knee skirt, and a long sleeved shirt, and a hat (very similar to my winter hat, but made out of a lighter yarn)...it was in the upper 90's and I was freaking hot in jean shorts, a tank top, and flip flops!

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at business sites such as Manta, you will see annual revenues for millions of companies, as well as number of employees, how long they've been in business, the owner of the business, etc. You can find reports on all sized businesses - from big, publicly traded corporations, to Mom&Pop shops, to one-man-show entrepreneurial businesses.

http://www.manta.com

Here the Muslim ladies dress a lot like the Orthodox ladies, except for the different head coverings, but I couldn't dress like either! This summer I was at Walmart and saw an Ortho woman, she was young, maybe mid 20's and had on black shoes, tights, and below the knee skirt, and a long sleeved shirt, and a hat (very similar to my winter hat, but made out of a lighter yarn)...it was in the upper 90's and I was freaking hot in jean shorts, a tank top, and flip flops!

Its one of the things that made me re-consider becoming an Ortho. That and the dietary laws. I could keep kosher at home (it would be a major effort because I'm so disorganized) but the idea that I'd always have to say no when my friends went out to restaurants and bars would have been tough.

I think they are wearing knee highs btw. I wear compression stockings (PSA: don't ignore a sprained ankle because it doesn't hurt that much or you too might be wearing compression socks 4EVER) and wear skirts in summer. Its not that bad, its not that great but it could be worse. If they are wearing tights then I'll question their sanity. At least with knee highs you get air circulation. I know one woman, bless her, who wore knee highs AND a slip all friggin' summer. Total frumpy mess, and she must have been baking.

Ortho women seem to do the stupid double shirt thing too, especially the younger women and teen girls. I looked up a modesty magazine for christian girls and it seems to be the style. I think that they see the cute and colorful, but defrauding! tops and want them so they pair them with the long sleeved item in order to make them more modest. I've seen some that sew on parts of the longer sleeved top onto the less modest shirt (which makes more sense but must be a ton of work).

Usually I think the effect comes out awful, but I've seen a few women who pull it off well. I just think that the LDS chicks, the Ortho girls, Muslim women and the Xtian fundies are all pulling their style choices off of the online modesty mags and this is what they get. Its funny how these groups, which are so opposed to each other are only sometimes distinguishable by head coverings.

In fact I wished what I thought was an Ortho lady a Good shabbos... turns out she was a fundy christian who liked snoods and stockings. oy. its so confusing.

Its one of the things that made me re-consider becoming an Ortho. That and the dietary laws. I could keep kosher at home (it would be a major effort because I'm so disorganized) but the idea that I'd always have to say no when my friends went out to restaurants and bars would have been tough.

I think they are wearing knee highs btw. I wear compression stockings (PSA: don't ignore a sprained ankle because it doesn't hurt that much or you too might be wearing compression socks 4EVER) and wear skirts in summer. Its not that bad, its not that great but it could be worse. If they are wearing tights then I'll question their sanity. At least with knee highs you get air circulation. I know one woman, bless her, who wore knee highs AND a slip all friggin' summer. Total frumpy mess, and she must have been baking.

Ortho women seem to do the stupid double shirt thing too, especially the younger women and teen girls. I looked up a modesty magazine for christian girls and it seems to be the style. I think that they see the cute and colorful, but defrauding! tops and want them so they pair them with the long sleeved item in order to make them more modest. I've seen some that sew on parts of the longer sleeved top onto the less modest shirt (which makes more sense but must be a ton of work).

Usually I think the effect comes out awful, but I've seen a few women who pull it off well. I just think that the LDS chicks, the Ortho girls, Muslim women and the Xtian fundies are all pulling their style choices off of the online modesty mags and this is what they get. Its funny how these groups, which are so opposed to each other are only sometimes distinguishable by head coverings.

In fact I wished what I thought was an Ortho lady a Good shabbos... turns out she was a fundy christian who liked snoods and stockings. oy. its so confusing.

The double shirt thing just looks stupid IMO. There are plenty of cute, comfy tops that are "modest" at pretty low prices. Honestly, I think it is a "look at me! I'm different" thing.

The double shirt thing reminds me of a frumper almost, because of the "overall shoulder" effect it has. Or like those dresses little girls have with the built in short sleeves under the straps. I think zsu's oldest were wearing some in their last family photos.

I think they have to choose the size floor plans not only because of building codes but because they are getting discounts by the builders. Free advertising for their business on TV. However, they don't wanna show off a tiny, modest house. They're gonna want to show off their building skills. I'd bet that they are getting a discount as long as they have houses that are at least x big or have x amount of fancy upgrades. Along with TLC helping out, I'm guessing that's how they got mortgages. They probably only needed to pay 1/4-1/3 of what the house was actually worth. A huge downpayment would help a mortgage go through for sure.

If you look at business sites such as Manta, you will see annual revenues for millions of companies, as well as number of employees, how long they've been in business, the owner of the business, etc. You can find reports on all sized businesses - from big, publicly traded corporations, to Mom&Pop shops, to one-man-show entrepreneurial businesses.

http://www.manta.com

Last time I looked up that information on a D&B, they were all estimates, except those that are publicly traded. I just looked up on manta my husband's branch and the multi-billion dollar, privately-held company it belongs to, and there is zero information about revenue. I clicked on something random, and it clearly said estimate.

Those website exist to give you information so you can do business with them. They cull information from all sources they can find, but if a company doesn't want you to know their revenues, it won't be available. A savvy investigator can come up with an estimate based on a number of factors, though.

eta: I looked up my own company, which I started a few years ago, has a web presence, a following, and tripled its revenue this year. No listing at all. I am not surprised, as I'm a small fish. :lol: However, revenue is a trade secret in my business. I pay sales taxes, but there are a number of ways that information is not reliable for predicting revenue.

There's not that much markup in new construction. That advertising is not enough to justify the cost discounted 1/4-1/3.

I also think it's wise to consider potential resale problems if Meri were to have a much smaller house on the cul-de-sac than the rest of the houses. You'd want to be able to sell them all or separately. No one wants a tiny house next to their giant house, for property value purposes.

I meant the advertising discount plus whatever TLC is coughing up to help them would come out to that much.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised that no one else has posted about this train wreck since I may be the only one left who has a tolerance--or no life -- and even I may give up after this season. Watching the road trip was just awful--most of these people clearly can't stand one another, and I think with it coming so soon after the Darger episode Cody can't help but compare his "one big family" with the way Joe Darger and his family travel.

Christine comes off as whiny but I think she is maybe just trying to assert herself, something that she is not used to doing, and so it comes off that way. She definitely made herself heard this time and even said that she wanted them to "go off and have fun without me" because she didn't want to go.

That all changed when they got to the place where Joseph Smith was murdered/"martyred." I guess this is like the Holy Grail for them. Interesting that 1) they didn't know all that much about Joseph Smith, and 2) any negative information was dismissed as something that historians find arguable. Kody did make his statement that he believes that the command for plural marriage came from God, not Smith, so he is really trying to make a case that his huge dysfunctional family is really the result of his following a divine commandment.

The teens, especially Janelle's, clearly wished they were about anywhere else on earth. I see hope for their futures.

I admit to still watching this train wreck.

Last night Mr. Womb watched with me; it was the first time he had seen the show. His eyes about popped out of his head when he saw the, "I just want my wives to obey me when I'm cranky part." Later, when they were praying, Mr. Womb decided to translate: "Dear Heavenly Father, make these women OBEY me." Which seems to be the premise of the religion: make the women see I'm their God.

One episode, his take: Kody is an asshole.

The road trip episode was interesting. It looks like Kody kept trying to assert power/control and everyone pretty much blinked at him. He kept demanding those 'family meetings', but all the wives just wanted to sleep and try to enjoy the trip. And what was with his comment about being willing to die for the principle? It seems like for him, his faith is based solely on the principle. It seemed a little odd. And WTH was up with them not being 'allowed' to go to the museum? I thought that was weird. It was interesting to seem Robyn & Meri proud that their great-grandfathers were involved in the incident. I forget sometimes just how 'new' the Mormon faith still is.

" It seems like for him, his faith is based solely on the principle."

I was thinking the same thing before I read your post. It's like the whole religion, according to Kody, is just about polygamy.

On the plus side, I liked that he said he wanted his children to travel and experience and respect different cultures. Unlike other fundies, it does seem that they believe that WE don't like being shunned and persecuted, so we're not going to do it to anybody else, either. At least nominally, which is refreshing.

Kody was a ass... wth was his problem or were we seeing the REAL Kody? He needs to shut up with the jabs at Meri about having another baby. (Could stay in a hotel if she had one ect.) This episode was just ick.

I admit to still watching this train wreck.

Last night Mr. Womb watched with me; it was the first time he had seen the show. His eyes about popped out of his head when he saw the, "I just want my wives to obey me when I'm cranky part." Later, when they were praying, Mr. Womb decided to translate: "Dear Heavenly Father, make these women OBEY me." Which seems to be the premise of the religion: make the women see I'm their God.

One episode, his take: Kody is an asshole.

Totally agree with Mr Womb ! This is exactly my problem with so much of patriarchy/fundie culture. The men in power are upset that reality does not bend to their will so they create scenarios that allow them to believe that either 1) they are victims of minority power-holders or 2) there are evil forces preventing true change or 3) those impeding their views will be punished in this life or the next. Everyone else learns that reality is what it is. People is people. Absolute power is neither possible nor desirable. But for Kody he's 'earned' it by collecting women. Whatevs.

Someone posted on TWoP that at least three of the women moved into the mcmansions yesterday. With the series in decline, I wonder how long they'll keep them.

I'm watching the season (unfortunately not series) finale.. their oldest (Janelle's), Logan, is moving into his college dorm. So naturally, they made a quilt with all of his family's faces on them.. pretty much guaranteeing he will not be having sex at college. :roll: If they really expect all of their children to save themselves for marriage, not that there's anything wrong with that, they are even more delusional than I thought.

Someone posted on TWoP that at least three of the women moved into the mcmansions yesterday. With the series in decline, I wonder how long they'll keep them.

This, exactly. Their income generating prospect seem slim, and the projects they have researched all seem very high risk (a gym, the jewelry..).

Is Kody employed at this point?

OD I believe has episodes 3-7. 6 and 7 are just 2 halves of one episode. Are they really only having 8 (truly 7) episodes this season? Is it just a mid-season break?

I watched the season finale last night. Mari went over her house budget on the basic structure due to the wet bar/hobby room/5th bedroom issue, and didn't have any remaining money for the internal upgrades such as carpeting, washer/dryers, etc. She became upset, got Robyn involved, and Cody allowed her some additional upgrades that he liked. The rest of the wives were able to stay in their budget. Meri mentioned that she wanted the wet bar because of the additional counter space, that she didn't drink alcohol, and that she needed the extra space because it would be convenient when entertaining the family. However, they showed what the wet bar would look like, and it was a sink surrounded by just a little extra counter space - it didn't appear to be enough room to put more than an extra plate or two. It would probably be more practical to have a nice buffet table, or even a moveable butcher block table to use when entertaining, instead of spending many extra thousands of dollars on the building structure. I don't think that this family has any concept of being realistic and practical with money.

In addition, they were talking about wanting to have the houses so that the older kids would have a place to go back to while at college. It may be more practical to spend less on the houses, and set aside the money to actually be able to help send all of those kids to college... they don't seem to plan for the future very well.

I don't know if I've posted this before, but my parents live in a huge development with different sections. The sections range from town home complexes to million dollar mcmansions. In the most expensive section there are a few huge one level homes mixed in with three story mega sized houses. I don't understand why she can't have a three bedroom ranch with a wet bar or what ever the hell she wants. She could have a master suite for herself, a room for Mariah and a guestroom or kids playroom. The one level homes in my parent's hood are still as grand and the big ones. I don't know if they are harder to resell. Most homes here have basements so that does give the homes more space.

I don't know if I've posted this before, but my parents live in a huge development with different sections. The sections range from town home complexes to million dollar mcmansions. In the most expensive section there are a few huge one level homes mixed in with three story mega sized houses. I don't understand why she can't have a three bedroom ranch with a wet bar or what ever the hell she wants. She could have a master suite for herself, a room for Mariah and a guestroom or kids playroom. The one level homes in my parent's hood are still as grand and the big ones. I don't know if they are harder to resell. Most homes here have basements so that does give the homes more space.

I've been told by real estate agents that one story homes are becoming more popular as baby boomers age, since many people don't like to climb stairs as they get older. Like your parents, I also live in a large development with different sections, and there is one section dedicated to smaller homes with small yards (I think they are called garden homes) that appeal to empy nesters. Those homes are really pretty and have many upgrades, but they are smaller due to their target market. I don't think that they are much cheaper than the larger homes, due to the upgrades and the general neighborhood.

So meri said it wasn't her fault she is over budget, because she only wanted the wet bar. And to have the wet bar, she was forced to have the pantry, hobbyroom and 5th bedroom. She is building a house with a pantry, a hobbyroom and a 5th bedroom she all doesn't want, just because of this little wet bar? I honestly don't get that.

And Kody asked Christine to give Meri some of her budget as well? Because Meri likes to entertain? Christine has 6 children to raise every day, but Meri needs the extra budget to entertain? I know he said is was a joke later on, but it didn't sound like a joke at the time to me.

I know this is al about jalouzie and fighting for kody's attention and love, but even then I don't get this.

Archived