IGNORED

Reprimands at Liberty University

Boogalou

I would lie too. Well I would never go there, but if I did I would lie so I'd never get caught doing all the things i'd be doing that are against the rules.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would lie too. Well I would never go there, but if I did I would lie so I'd never get caught doing all the things i'd be doing that are against the rules.

Well it wasn't quite that easy. It helped we had very, very laid back RA's so we were never ever called when we were gone.

I wonder which is stricter--- Patrick Henry College or Liberty University ??

Has anyone ever gone undercover at PHC ?

I think PHC is. But at the same time, I suspect they are friendly. Michael Farris who started PHC was a friend of Liberty U when I was there.

I attended Liberty as a practicing Jew.

You're forgetting about PCC, which can expel you for Optical Intercourse (making eye babies) and BJU, which didn't allow interracial dating until recently, I believe.

EDIT: Copy pasted the wrong quote - d'oh!

You're forgetting about PCC, which can expel you for Optical Intercourse (making eye babies) and BJU, which didn't allow interracial dating until recently, I believe.

Yes, both of those are stricter/more rigid than LU and always have been.

I have a love/hate feeling about my time there. There are people (one in particular) who I really, really valued their friendship. They were smart and we talked and not everyone was trying to save me. Pretty quickly the students just sort of realized I wasn't going to.

Yes, both of those are stricter/more rigid than LU and always have been.

I have a love/hate feeling about my time there. There are people (one in particular) who I really, really valued their friendship. They were smart and we talked and not everyone was trying to save me. Pretty quickly the students just sort of realized I wasn't going to.

I think that there are good people everywhere, even among the fundies. I'm glad you found at least one or two during your time at LU. My sense from the book was that most of the people were good people - perhaps sheltered and naive, perhaps a bit wrongheaded (IMO) based on their upbringing, but my sense wasn't that the majority were hatefilled, more that they occasionally undertook hateful actions based on on a literalist belief structure.

I think that there are good people everywhere, even among the fundies. I'm glad you found at least one or two during your time at LU. My sense from the book was that most of the people were good people - perhaps sheltered and naive, perhaps a bit wrongheaded (IMO) based on their upbringing, but my sense wasn't that the majority were hatefilled, more that they occasionally undertook hateful actions based on on a literalist belief structure.

They are. And they are mostly young adults. Back when I was there a lot of the LU students were there on small scholarships, and federal grants and loans. They didn't know what they were signing up for.

But the ones that did and agreed were still just barely out of youth. Like myself, I suspect many of them had more nuanced views of life as they aged.

When I was there it was either hymns, contemporary Christian or classical music that was allowed. Period.

What happens if it's classical music with dirty lyrics? Since most classical music isn't in English, most people fail to realize there is some really raunchy stuff out there.

As a comparison with PHC, I'd say that the rules are pretty similar, but PHC (at least in the early days when I was there) didn't have the elaborate ranking/demerit system. So at least you don't get the craziness of making possession of alcohol the equivalent of sexual assault or abortion. Also at PHC girls could wear pants, one could dance off-campus (contra/English country dancing was popular), and I think the music rules were a little less strict. Other than that, though, it all sounds depressingly familiar. All romantic relationships had to be "registered" with the Dean of Students and approved by both sets of parents, and physical contact was limited to holding hands while walking.

Guest Anonymous
Treemom and the poster who had liberty on their short list of schools: why did each of you decide and not decide to go there? If this is too nosy, plaese ignore, I am just curious.

The only schools I remember considering were University of Texas, Appalachian State, East Texas Baptist University (close to home), Liberty University, and Hardin-Simmons. I'm obviously a Southern Baptist as you can see by ETBU and HS. I knew people from my town who had gone to both of those schools and were encouraging me to attend there. I came across Liberty online and I also had met people at church camp (FUGE camps, the official Southern Baptist camps by Lifeway) who were attending there. I ended up going to another public school in Texas after deciding I did not agree with the policies at the Christian schools and realized I would probably be expelled from them. I don't think moral things that are not illegal (drinking, having sex, abortion, etc.) should be enforced like the way Liberty does by anyone but God. I have sex, drink sometimes, go to concerts, listen to all sorts of music, etc. Typical 19 year old pretty much...definitely not the kind of girl they want at Liberty :)

I was recommended this book sometime back on Amazon because I purchased the A.J. Jacobs book for my Kindle. It sounds interesting and I'll probably buy it sometime soon. I have heard about the reprimands/honor codes/ or expulsion incidents at LU, Bob Jones University and few similar schools. Chris Sligh who is a songwriter and former American Idol contestant was expelled from Bob Jones because he attended a mainstream Chrisitan rock band concert. He talked about his experiences a few times on TV.

The only schools I remember considering were University of Texas, Appalachian State, East Texas Baptist University (close to home), Liberty University, and Hardin-Simmons.

Hahahahaha! My BFF from high school went to HSU (I'm originally from Texas, holla). That place is a scene and a half, but not so much compared to Liberty, PHC, PCC, etc. I was scandalized when I learned she wasn't allowed to draw nudes in her art classes but I didn't know about these more intense places at the time.

ETA: Or they were allowed to draw nudes, but their life models were never nude and they could not display any art featuring nudity publicly.

I'm a little surprised that Les Miz isn't considered classical. It's light opera-ish and based on a novel written by a theologian.

I'm a little surprised that Les Miz isn't considered classical. It's light opera-ish and based on a novel written by a theologian.

Les Miz, though, includes a prostitute who is morally a better person than the people who judge her. And a thief who is the moral center of the whole story. Both big no nos :naughty:

The only schools I remember considering were University of Texas, Appalachian State, East Texas Baptist University (close to home), Liberty University, and Hardin-Simmons.

OK I've gotta ask how App State made the list . I didn't think it was all that well known. (I went to App after wasting a few years at Hyles-Anderson, and uber-strict UNACCREDITED IFB-flavored fundie college).

I was a member of a service organization that had a chapter at LU. Whenever we had conventions and things they always made a huge fuss about the guys and girls HAVING to be seperate if they had any new members. Now seeing those rules I realize they were worried about fines and things and with older members knew nobody would tell.

That really is a great book, and a whole bunch of it is about how nice almost everybody is (and then they do things like the beach evangelism and he's just like, whoah, these people are so friendly and polite usually why the hell do they do this?)

Treemom, I wonder if you've read The Year of Living Biblically? There are places in it where the author is pretty specific about how great all the rules are for someone with self-proclaimed OCD tendencies - he never had to touch strangers, which he has issues with in everyday life, and he can spend days at a time thinking about things like what fibers are in his clothes and how many times he said a prayer. I've always wondered if a person with actual OCD would feel that way too, or if in reality the strict rules would just be overwhelming, the way self-imposed OCD rules can be.

This is the entertainment policy:

Entertainment (General Policies)

Liberty University encourages all students to abstain from any form of entertainment that would compromise their testimony to the world and their relationship to God.

• Movies Liberty University has always attempted to maintain a conservative standard in its approach to the arts and entertainment. Current policy for movie viewing allows for attendance at theaters but prohibits viewing of movies rated "R", "NC-17" or "X". The penalty for viewing such movies is a reprimandable offense. It should be remembered that in no way is Liberty University endorsing the movie industry's rating system as appropriate or Christ-honoring. In addition, the Division of Student Affairs will continue teaching guidelines and principles to students related to all forms of entertainment. This would mean that many "PG-13" and some "PG" movies, although not prohibited by policy, may also be inappropriate.

• Video Games Playing video games that are “A†and “RP†-rated is not permitted, and is a reprimandable offense. The playing of “ECâ€, “Eâ€, and “Tâ€-rated games are permitted but should be played with discretion. Any “M†-rated games with descriptors indicating any sexual content, alcohol/drug content, or strong language are not permitted, and is a reprimandable offense. “Mâ€-rated games depicting violence will be at the discretion of Resident Directors. Liberty University refers to the Bible for all moral standards.

Note: Many games portray realistic military operations and while they contain violence descriptors, they do not contain any reference to sexual themes, drug/alcohol use, and/or strong language. Games that contain criminal violence not suitable for playing on campus are often paired with descriptors such as strong sexual themes, strong language, drug use, etc.

• Music Philosophy, tastes and personal convictions concerning music vary greatly among our students. Liberty University endeavors to teach discernment in evaluating and selecting all music. It is Liberty's desire to maintain a music standard that is conducive to a healthy Christian atmosphere. Students should learn to choose music that honors the Savior and is in harmony with God's word. Music that is offensive (i.e., lewd lyrics, anti-Christian messages, etc.) to Liberty's Christian stand is not permitted. This policy is implemented because:

− The University desires to suggest a conservative policy for music, which honors the Lord.

− Music expresses such an expansive variety of culture and background, attitude and thought, belief and message.

− Some music, in its message, is clearly contrary to the standards of Liberty University.

− There is a wide variance in personal styles and tastes.

− Controversy surrounds some particular preferences.

Entertainment Policy in the Residence Halls

The following entertainment policy for residence halls has been established for practical enforcement purposes:

• No music (vocal or instrumental), television, videos and other media that is offensive (i.e., lewd lyrics, anti-Christian message, etc.) to Liberty's Christian stand will be permitted.

• The University understands the variance of personal interpretation concerning entertainment. Therefore, Resident Directors are available to clarify areas of confusion.

• No student will be penalized for a first offense of non-clarified issues. However, once a clarification has been given, a violation report will be issued if the student refuses to cooperate.

• Personal entertainment will not be permitted to disrupt the academic atmosphere of the residence hall. Noise of any kind (including music and television) in a resident room is considered too loud if it can be heard in the hallway.

Note: Cassettes, CD's, videos and paraphernalia, which is in violation of the entertainment policy, and found by Student Affairs or Student Leadership personnel during room inspections, may be turned in to the Division of Student Affairs. These items will be returned to the student upon request at the end of the semester.

It's actually pretty relaxed as these places go. As long as you don't have movies rated R or games rated M or A, you're fine.

OK I've gotta ask how App State made the list . I didn't think it was all that well known. (I went to App after wasting a few years at Hyles-Anderson, and uber-strict UNACCREDITED IFB-flavored fundie college).

Didn't "Pastor" Anderson go to Hyles-Anderson for a bit before deciding it was too liberal?

I went to DBU. HSU was also on my list. Woot for Texas SBC universities

.....or not. :whistle:

Didn't "Pastor" Anderson go to Hyles-Anderson for a bit before deciding it was too liberal?

Yeah, HAC seems to attract a lot of nuts. There are some good people there, but it's definitely on the extreme end of IFB-dom.

Anderson seems to still like Dave Hyles, who founded the school and pastored FBC for years, but not Jack Schaap, who's over it now.

Denny Kenaston (the guy who founded Charity Ministries) also went to HAC, and was kicked out.

I just don't know how Liberty could possibly monitor things like movies and music these days, since people have iPods and movies/TV on their computers. I guess you have to be pretty obvious to get caught.

I would totally go to a super-Christian college just to mess around if a) it were somehow free, and b) if I had some serious free time. But I wonder why these kids (kids who know what they're getting into) bother going away to school if they're going to be treated like ten-year-olds at camp. Everyone knows the point of college is to grow the eff up (at least a little), and I don't see how you can do that if you can't make any of your own decisions, including dress, company, entertainment, etc.

Archived